Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

I don’t think we can afford it

neoliberalism is a sweet sweet poison

the goal of neoliberalism is to concentrate all wealth into one country (america)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

aren't sales folks incentivized to not make their lead info accessible or useful to other sales folks in the company

we use salesforce at work. other than the list of customers in the application db having a salesforce id column i never interact with it or know what the sales people do with it.

that depends on how much infighting there is among the sales team. most b2b sales are not like say selling cars. in a traditional dealership there is a question of who made first contact or otherwise “owns” the opportunity. that can cause brutal fights which can hugely impact whether you make more than minimum wage. enterprise sales teams usually have well defined territories and commissions are paid only on stuff within your territory. a “territory” can mean a list of accounts (companies/departments/etc), geographic regions, a vertical segment or some combination. this means it’s actually in everyone’s best interest to be pretty thorough about who you’re talking to and what it’s about or else you’re wasting a bunch of time.

that said some companies go full sears and have sales teams competing against each other on the same accounts. sometimes they’re even selling the exact same products!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

i hope you were wearing protection

going bools deep into CRM logic

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mystes posted:

Doesn't Salesforce at least do some stuff by default?

SAP seems more like it literally doesn't do anything

when we got switched over from zendesk to the salesforce support ticketing system our in-house salesforce dev opened with "alright what workflow do yall want"

i responded with "idk just the default one because it probably makes sense to start with that rather than trying to build poo poo from scratch"

this was met with "no such thing exists, you have to design your workflow"

that day i gained an intense appreciation for all the "gently caress you, we did the UX research already, you cannot change this" aspects of zendesk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

running a covid vaccinating clinic feels so incredibly shoehorned into salesforce, the amount of steps and windows to walk thru when doing a vaccine really harshes my vibe, and there are so many minor ux decisions that drive me slowly mad, maybe they’re inherent to salesforce, it’s tiny things like we enter an NHI which is unique health indentifier code but you can’t type it in and press enter you have to use the mouse and click the button :cry:

i've done customer service flow ux work and it amazes me someone can design this and not instantly get that feedback. our users could bolt through the flow with a keyboard and if you made them mouse-click they'd be mad as hell and wouldn't stop letting you know

that's not to say i haven't seen devs make a form with no associated submit action, but they'd also be lambasted by their team and my team for missing this interaction

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

when we got switched over from zendesk to the salesforce support ticketing system our in-house salesforce dev opened with "alright what workflow do yall want"

i responded with "idk just the default one because it probably makes sense to start with that rather than trying to build poo poo from scratch"

this was met with "no such thing exists, you have to design your workflow"

that day i gained an intense appreciation for all the "gently caress you, we did the UX research already, you cannot change this" aspects of zendesk

i have to use servicenow now and it makes me really appreciate zendesk

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

i have to use servicenow now and it makes me really appreciate zendesk

my company uses service now for internal IT ticketing, select combo internal/customer facing support/defect reporting ticketing, and some abomination HR ticketing/service center

it’s real bad

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

my company uses service now for internal IT ticketing, select combo internal/customer facing support/defect reporting ticketing, and some abomination HR ticketing/service center

it’s real bad

same but help desk tickets, change approvals, the second change approval process that exists for some reason, server provisioning, application instance tracking, vendor onboarding and about 5 other things I've forgotten

the worst one is the process workflow tool for one of them that takes 5 minutes to return search results even if provided with the exact reference for the record you're looking for

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

it’s real bad

same but help desk tickets, change approvals, the second change approval process that exists for some reason, server provisioning, application instance tracking, vendor onboarding and about 5 other things I've forgotten

the worst one is the process workflow tool for one of them that takes 5 minutes to return search results even if provided with the exact reference for the record you're looking for

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

the rare 40 minutes apart double post :getin:

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

powerful two-poster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Eeyo posted:

powerful two-poster

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Eeyo posted:

powerful two-poster

mystes
May 31, 2006

powerful but it has a 40 minute cooldown

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mystes posted:

powerful but it has a 40 minute cooldown

don’t want the skill to be forum breaking now do we

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

it’s real bad
ah yes, servicenever, we have that. thank god I rarely have to go near it.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I work for servicenow and I don’t actually understand how people use our software, I can only assume the alternatives are many times worse

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
my org switched to it from track-it! and it was a huge improvement

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Silver Alicorn posted:

my org switched to it from track-it! and it was a huge improvement

Never trust technology that has an exclamation mark in the name

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kitten emergency posted:

I work for servicenow and I don’t actually understand how people use our software, I can only assume the alternatives are many times worse

this has been my experience everywhere i've worked, it's like some programmer-specific version of dunning-kruger where the more you understand a piece of software the worse you rate its capabilities

or maybe all software is just really bad :thunk:

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Shame Boy posted:

or maybe all software is just really bad :thunk:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's weird to think about how pretty much every piece of crappy software has at least one, sometimes a whole team of people inside the company trying really hard to make it not suck and just losing every battle, every release. a lot of early career designers get burned out by this, if you last it's because you figured out how to work with the rest of the company, or if that's impossible you move on. some of the most miserable people just suffer in silence forever inside bad orgs because they lack the confidence to move on

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
work at a game company so you just throw away everything when a new project starts

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

qirex posted:

it's weird to think about how pretty much every piece of crappy software has at least one, sometimes a whole team of people inside the company trying really hard to make it not suck and just losing every battle, every release. a lot of early career designers get burned out by this, if you last it's because you figured out how to work with the rest of the company, or if that's impossible you move on. some of the most miserable people just suffer in silence forever inside bad orgs because they lack the confidence to move on

lol you just explained the last 8 yrs of my career (before i finally quit), ty

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

kitten emergency posted:

the alternatives actually marginally function but don't give management quite as big a boner

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

heh more like servicemeow

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

qirex posted:

this is why i moved into infrastructure and tooling. could only fight that fight for so long (it’s a fight you always lose)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well-read undead posted:

this is why i moved into infrastructure and tooling. could only fight that fight for so long (it’s a fight you always lose)

you lose that fight in infra too lol

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Captain Foo posted:

not if you work for a small company and are the one in charge

if there are infra teams with pms, my heart goes out to them

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

kitten emergency posted:

I think you already know this but the answer is we barely use it, and we definitely don't use it correctly. All of us have some other company come in and cobble together a lovely feature set that nobody touches and is functionally just paperwork

When we went through RFP's of other stuff SNow was my least favorite but it looks the nicest and has the most buttons and levers and was the most expensive, so it feels like you're getting "The Porsche of ITSMs"

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

yeah lol

we switched to teamdynamix half a year ago and it's not awful ?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

doesn't sound that bad, I'm a wastewater treatment operator and SAP exposes all of our vendors' bank account and routing numbers to me

yes but you're used to working in deep poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tunicate posted:

yes but you're used to working in deep poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

kitten emergency posted:

the terrible secret of tech is that everything is bad and nothing actually works but "best in class" still technically exists

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao
https://twitter.com/boring_as_heck/status/1667697900808441857

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Gubbinal Girl posted:

:hmmyes:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

infernal machines posted:

the terrible secret of tech is that everything is bad and nothing actually works but "best in class" still technically exists

the real sad truth is that it actually does work well enough and the details don’t really matter. if you immerse yourself in anything you’ll find lots of problems that don’t really matter that much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i wonder how many people actually buy those tshirts

i mean, someone must, right? why else keep doing the spam

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Gubbinal Girl posted:

if you can't trust WOW! then who can you trust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

- for the discerning internet user