Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You can make an amazing variant on a leek-and-onion soup by using garlic scapes instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can make an amazing variant on a leek-and-onion soup by using garlic scapes instead.

That sounds very nice. So far I've been adding them to omelettes, burgers (chipotle peppers with some sauce, scapes, egg, bread crumbs) and other things.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Joburg posted:

I pulled up most of my cucumbers today (zone 8b Georgia so they were already about done), they were starting to look sickly and I found they had Root Knot Nematode. I ordered some beneficial nematodes to apply this summer so maybe I can get a handle in the problem. Anyone have advice?
I'd direct sow a bunch of marigolds there and then chop them under in the fall. They really do help with nematodes, but you have to leave them in the soil for them to be effective.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I pickle them, and garlic scape pesto is pretty good. Last year I made some garlic scape and black walnut pesto, all from my yard/garden. I need to dig around for more things to do with them. It's too bad peppers aren't in season yet...a fermented garlic scape hot sauce would probably be good. I guess I could ferment the scapes now and stick em in the fridge, then ferment the peppers when they start producing. Or go buy some.

I also always laugh at the shelf lives listed in recipes, especially for pickles and other preserved foods. I have pickled scapes in my fridge from this time last year, and they're still good. They were just a fridge pickle too, not canned or anything like that.

Semi-related, the other day some friends and I also drank some homemade eggnog that's been in a mason jar in my fridge since 2015. I swear it's still getting better with age. It was from a recipe in GWS, and the alcohol content is high enough (about 15% IIRC) that it's supposed to be shelf stable at room temperature. If you're storing it for 8 years, the fridge is the way to go :D.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I meant to post in this thread some last year when I had my first decent garden year at my old house but then I had to move and couldn’t manage to bring anything along with me but the tomato pots. Got gifted a nice raised bed and have put some stuff in. I think i hosed up with my compost though, i mixed it in with my soil that I planted squash seeds in and now I think it probably needed more time to marinate because I’m getting a fuckton of what admittedly looks like squash to me but is probably some mystery stuff sprouting from the compost. Somewhat irritating but anything I had put into the composter is something that we’ll eat at least so 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mystery plant. It definitely looks like what google has informed me banana squash seedlings should look like but who knows.

Something called Bull Blood beets

Various tomatoes. Last year I just had sort of normal tomatoes, this year I’m doing grape ones and heirloom something or others.

I have bell pepper plants for my stepson that rabbits tore up a little before I could erect a fence, they haven’t gotten in since then. And then a bunch of cilantro and some itty bitty Thai pepper seedlings that I had to start outside because I don’t have any room inside.

This is all pretty basic and lame I guess but I’m excited about it

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I wish I ever got free mystery squash in a new bed. I only get crab grass and morning glories around here.

Also pickled garlic scapes sounds freakin' amazing and will be next on our fridge dry erase board.

Edit: Also grape and cherry tomatoes are the best things to grow in a garden with young kids around. Don't expect much of it to get out of the garden uneaten but every kid I've ever fed a nice sun warm grape tomato off the vine, especially something like a sweet million or the like, just lights up. They're so good. If any of them survive we like to halve them and blister them under the broiler with some olive oil and make a nice light shrimp pasta.

Edit edit: Phew, someone me didn't really clean out one of the strictly organic backpack sprayers we I use for about two years and just cracked that bad boy open for the first time in the garage and... I'm not saying I know what satan's sweaty gooch smells like but I'm thinking I got a pretty good idea. It was a fine mist all over my arm. My wife is getting so many hugs when she gets home.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 10, 2023

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Feliday Melody posted:

I finished up, mowed the lawn. I'll leave the lawn be for 2 weeks and so how many thistles survived today. Less than 16 wheelbarrows, I hope.

Now 2 weeks later I went thistle hunting. I cleared 2 wheelbarrows full of thistles in 3 hours.

If I extrapolate from this. Then in 2 more weeks I will have negative 14 wheelbarrows worth of thistles to clear.

I was going to mow the lawn, but it hasn't rained in 3 weeks, so I'll hold out on mowing until after the next rain. If the grass looks tall.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I have this thistle I've been failing to identify. So I put one in a flower pot and gave it some water in hopes of producing some identifiable flowers. And it started withering in 15 minutes

I swear that if I had thrown this on hot pavement, it would have flourished.

I'm dissolving some bird poop pellets in water and pouring it into the pot to see if that helps.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 10, 2023

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

JoshGuitar posted:

"Percent per pound" isn't really a thing. % would be % for any unit. If something is 20% nitrogen, a pound of that fertilizer contains 0.2 lbs of nitrogen. A gram of that fertilizer would contain 0.2 grams of nitrogen. A metric fuckload of that fertilizer would contain 0.2 metric fuckloads of nitrogen.

For a home garden, application rates per acre aren't necessarily as useful (even scaled down) as they are for a farm. On a farm, fertilizer would often be broadcast across the surface of a field, so the spaces between rows would see just as much fertilizer as the crops themselves. If you're directly applying fertilizer to each individual plant, you won't need as much fertilizer as if you're drenching your whole garden with it.

If you mix a pound of lead with a pound of feathers, it is 50/50 by weight, but the lead is def not 50% of the volume. Measurements do not translate like that accurately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I thought it was pretty obvious that ANY unit meant "any unit of weight" since it was directly referring to a unit of weight.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Machai posted:

If you mix a pound of lead with a pound of feathers, it is 50/50 by weight, but the lead is def not 50% of the volume. Measurements do not translate like that accurately.

I just happened to click on this thread right after you replied. I never said anything about volume. N-P-K values are (at least usually, to my knowledge) by weight. Pounds and grams are units of weight. Metric fuckloads are a non-standard measurement, so I guess they could be either weight or volume.

If you take a pound of your 50/50 lead/feather mixture, it's gonna contain a half pound of lead. A gram will contain a half gram of lead (assuming it's a homogeneous mixture with a small particle size). A metric fuckload, if that's a unit of weight, will contain half of a metric fuckload of lead.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I meant to post in this thread some last year when I had my first decent garden year at my old house but then I had to move and couldn’t manage to bring anything along with me but the tomato pots. Got gifted a nice raised bed and have put some stuff in. I think i hosed up with my compost though, i mixed it in with my soil that I planted squash seeds in and now I think it probably needed more time to marinate because I’m getting a fuckton of what admittedly looks like squash to me but is probably some mystery stuff sprouting from the compost. Somewhat irritating but anything I had put into the composter is something that we’ll eat at least so 🤷🏽‍♂️

Mystery plant. It definitely looks like what google has informed me banana squash seedlings should look like but who knows.

This is all pretty basic and lame I guess but I’m excited about it

You should be! It's thrilling to put in small plants and have them turn into big plants. That is absolutely some plant in the squash family, so there's no reason to think it's an interloper. You'll only know for sure when it fruits.

Feliday, Google Lens (if you have an Android) is surprisingly reliable; take a picture of a living plant and wait for suggestions. I also use Seek by iNaturalist: it's available on both Android and Mac. An even more exciting app is Merlin, which can identify a bird by song.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

JoshGuitar posted:

I just happened to click on this thread right after you replied. I never said anything about volume. N-P-K values are (at least usually, to my knowledge) by weight. Pounds and grams are units of weight. Metric fuckloads are a non-standard measurement, so I guess they could be either weight or volume.

If you take a pound of your 50/50 lead/feather mixture, it's gonna contain a half pound of lead. A gram will contain a half gram of lead (assuming it's a homogeneous mixture with a small particle size). A metric fuckload, if that's a unit of weight, will contain half of a metric fuckload of lead.

You were replying to someone complaining that the fertilizer did not specify the measurements were based on weight. If the mixture is 50% lead / 50% feathers by volume, then taking 1lb of the mixture would give you more than .5lbs of lead. It is important to be clear about how things were originally proportioned.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Something's stealing chunks out of my pepper leaves, I think it may be a leafcutter bee. I've seen a big fat bee flying around but I haven't seen it land on the plants.

I guess it's better than something that's actually devouring the plant like caterpillars.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Machai posted:

You were replying to someone complaining that the fertilizer did not specify the measurements were based on weight. If the mixture is 50% lead / 50% feathers by volume, then taking 1lb of the mixture would give you more than .5lbs of lead. It is important to be clear about how things were originally proportioned.

In your previous reply, your lead/feather mixture was 50/50 by weight, not volume. Now that you changed it, I agree that if something was 50/50 lead/feathers by volume, and you took a pound of it, it would contain more than a half pound of lead. It would still be 50/50 by volume, assuming homogeneity.

Meh, this is a stupid argument, and I need to go replace a few plants that I watered in with fish fertilizer, that turned into holes overnight because a local wilderness creature decided that smelled tasty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
cool cool just found my first deer tick, on my forearm no less.

Anybody have success with permethrin clothes/etc?

I have my plant benches set up by the woods on the far side of my backyard, away from the house, as it’s the shadiest area, but I understand that I’m greatly upping my tick exposure by working there.

Don’t really want to be spraying myself with tons of DEET/etc every day, but if tick resistant clothes/socks/etc can work, or if best to combine DEET with with premethrin, then I’ll do it. I def don’t want to get Lyme disease from gardening.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
The foraging groups I’m in swear by permethrin on clothes. I’ve never done it myself, but it sounds like it works.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I didn't have good luck with permethrin sprayed on my clothes. The mosquitoes were unphased. Someone in this thread (I think?) works for a company that produces pretreated clothes and said that it works a lot better than the spray.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm the permethrin nerd. My part of the company works exclusively with the military but we also have extensive commercial options as well.

I also have the ability to process small lots with military equivalent treatment that is EPA registered for 100 launderings until efficacy is impacted. I would be happy to treat anyone ITT clothes complimentary, just to encourage more goons to play outside. My main recommendation is socks and hats to eliminate the two primary vectors but it only helps on shirts and pants as well. I can treat anything without a DWR or chemical UV treatment.

The spray (ours or Sawyer) will work but is very quick to wash out or degrade under UV.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I tried some picaridin spray recently and loved it. Worked as well as deet for mosquitoes but without the smell or greasy feeling. No idea if it works for ticks too though.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I tried some picaridin spray recently and loved it. Worked as well as deet for mosquitoes but without the smell or greasy feeling. No idea if it works for ticks too though.

Picaridin is my go-to. Works as well as deet, and I don't have to worry about it melting my clothes or whatever. I also carry packets of picaridin wipes when I travel or hike because it's more practical than a bottle of liquid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

So I bought some bog standard potting soil. I haven't really done much else with it. How often am I meant to be fertilizing my stuff? I've got some regular old plants that I bought because they're supposedly good for cleaning the air, they're palm frondy type plants and a small tree looking thing. The rest of my plants are flowers, and then I have a handful of vegetables (tomatoes and bell peppers).

Is fertilizing something I need to do regularly, or do I not even need to consider it?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mischief posted:

I'm the permethrin nerd. My part of the company works exclusively with the military but we also have extensive commercial options as well.

I also have the ability to process small lots with military equivalent treatment that is EPA registered for 100 launderings until efficacy is impacted. I would be happy to treat anyone ITT clothes complimentary, just to encourage more goons to play outside. My main recommendation is socks and hats to eliminate the two primary vectors but it only helps on shirts and pants as well. I can treat anything without a DWR or chemical UV treatment.

The spray (ours or Sawyer) will work but is very quick to wash out or degrade under UV.

Do you happen to work with Insect Shield (you can pm if you don’t want to say publicly, or just disregard this)? Is their Amazon store legit? Because I can get way faster shipping thru there than thru their site.

And I’m assuming it’s totally body safe in normal quantities. At least moreso than DEET or other personal repellent sprays, right?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I do work for Insect Shield. The Amazon store is legit and is not a drop ship type arrangement. They order on the off season and ship direct from their facilities. The commercial side here is in their peak busy season right now so direct ship times/processing times are likely suffering compared to the Amazon fulfilment as it is just a handful of folks picking orders.

There's a ton of data over the last five decades on the safety of permethrin, starting with the initial EPA registration in 1979. In summary you would have to go absolute scorched Earth on yourself with it for years before concerns would be raised. Any permethrin that is absorbed through the skin is readily passed in urine and has proven to have little risk of hepatoxicity or carcinogenic concerns when used correctly. Most people have consumed more permethrin from leafy greens and other produce than they will ever absorb from skin contact. One of the additional benefits of treated clothing vs the sprays is the bonding agent, usually an acrylic, also serves to limit exposure to the individual wearing the garment while still maintaining efficacy against insects. I'll have to find the old Army test when I'm back in the office but I have a picture of two soldiers in Maine, both wearing the old BDU. One was treated with the old IDA kit and one untreated and the poor bastard in the untreated uniform was having a visibly bad mosquito party. It is pretty remarkable. Current bonded treatments are even more effective and long lasting. On the topical side, if push came to shove I would lean towards picaridin over DEET. It's a relatively new active here in the US but has a lot of international research supporting both efficacy and safety. In all things topical however, moderation. If I can throw on a ball cap and treated neck gaiter and get superior protection (mechanical and chemical) over spraying my bald head with DEET it just makes sense.

I don't want to sound like I'm shilling or anything so mods let me know if I'm smudging any rule lines and I'll take it to PMs but it is a seriously effective active against bugs. I'm only offering my experience to fellow people who enjoy shaking our dirty hands futilely at the heavens.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 11, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mischief posted:

I do work for Insect Shield. The Amazon store is legit and is not a drop ship type arrangement. They order on the off season and ship direct from their facilities. The commercial side here is in their peak busy season right now so direct ship times/processing times are likely suffering compared to the Amazon fulfilment as it is just a handful of folks picking orders.

There's a ton of data over the last five decades on the safety of permethrin, starting with the initial EPA registration in 1979. In summary you would have to go absolute scorched Earth on yourself with it for years before concerns would be raised. Any permethrin that is absorbed through the skin is readily passed in urine and has proven to have little risk of hepatoxicity or carcinogenic concerns when used correctly. Most people have consumed more permethrin from leafy greens and other produce than they will ever absorb from skin contact. One of the additional benefits of treated clothing vs the sprays is the bonding agent, usually an acrylic, also serves to limit exposure to the individual wearing the garment while still maintaining efficacy against insects. I'll have to find the old Army test when I'm back in the office but I have a picture of two soldiers in Maine, both wearing the old BDU. One was treated with the old IDA kit and one untreated and the poor bastard in the untreated uniform was having a visibly bad mosquito party. It is pretty remarkable. Current bonded treatments are even more effective and long lasting. On the topical side, if push came to shove I would lean towards picaridin over DEET. It's a relatively new active here in the US but has a lot of international research supporting both efficacy and safety. In all things topical however, moderation. If I can throw on a ball cap and treated neck gaiter and get superior protection (mechanical and chemical) over spraying my bald head with DEET it just makes sense.

I don't want to sound like I'm shilling or anything so mods let me know if I'm smudging any rule lines and I'll take it to PMs but it is a seriously effective active against bugs. I'm only offering my experience to fellow people who enjoy shaking our dirty hands futilely at the heavens.

This rules, thank you. Ordering some sets of socks, and maybe a few other garments, for myself and my parents right now

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
mischief, do you have to be careful around cats with the permethrin treated clothing? I had a couple ticks already and it would be nice to not have to reapply bug spray all the time but I do cuddle my cat outside sometimes.

Looking at the pet section gives me ideas about fashioning some sort of collar cover for my goats. (They would eat a full bandana for sure.) Poor Tiny had a tick right next to her eye on hoof trimming day last week. :cry: We we’re able to remove it but it was not a fun few minutes!

https://imgur.com/gallery/TzjPjnb

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

Sorry, perma cued up for excessively helpful posting.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

One of my coworkers has three indoor cats happily living around the commercially available pet blankets and beds, along with a comically small dog that I love very much. Hell, she has one cat that loving hates me for absolutely no reason. He just glares at me even if I'm in her yard. Permethrin is a known risk for felines but the amount used in treating the clothing is well below even a near risk level. Topical permethrin applications for dogs in particular can have heroic concentrations of permethrin that can expose cats to pretty unpleasant experiences but you're talking about an amount of permethrin that couldn't fit on the end of a needle with this stuff. Everyone in my office has critters, and about 90% of them have cats. Treated fabric, at least with this process, presents zero risk to cats.

To the goat question, that would be something I would be interested in messing around with. I love goats and we have a lot of partnered companies doing fly masks for horses and treated webbing for harnesses, etc. The inherent chaos of goat existence would be a neat challenge. Shoot me a PM and I can dig around the warehouse for ideas.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ok Comboomer posted:

And I’m assuming it’s totally body safe in normal quantities. At least moreso than DEET or other personal repellent sprays, right?
Not trying to talk you out of trying the alternatives, but there aren't any known health risks associated with normal use of DEET, and it isn't for lack of investigation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sorry, perma cued up for excessively helpful posting.

You're awesome, mischief.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

SubG posted:

Not trying to talk you out of trying the alternatives, but there aren't any known health risks associated with normal use of DEET, and it isn't for lack of investigation.

DEET is incredibly effective against mosquitoes by design so if you're in a particularly high bite pressure part of the world it should definitely be part of your vector control plan. There are some tenuous links between long term and prolific use of DEET products with sleep disturbances and "impaired cognitive function" but again, you're talking about daily and likely excessive use of the active. My main complaint about DEET is that it is impractical and really kind of gross to use in spray or lotion form. I'm very particular about tactile sensations and DEET is right up there with sunscreen in the "gives me the creeping jibblies" reactions. I'm also peculiar.

DEET gets a really bad rap that is honestly based on a history of chronic misuse and bad PR. Hell, if you want to go on a deep dive DDT is the same in a lot of ways: Profoundly effective, used completely incorrectly by people who shouldn't have been making those calls to the detriment of everyone. Not to conflate the two, just pointing out that human error was a big part of both the bad reputations.

In actual thread related news, I have a whole huge row of bell peppers that appears to have just hosed off and given up over the last twenty four hours. I can't find any bug or critter damage, it's like this one particular row just decided to Heaven's Gate it for no discernible reason. Agriculture is so rewarding.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Qubee posted:

So I bought some bog standard potting soil. I haven't really done much else with it. How often am I meant to be fertilizing my stuff? I've got some regular old plants that I bought because they're supposedly good for cleaning the air, they're palm frondy type plants and a small tree looking thing. The rest of my plants are flowers, and then I have a handful of vegetables (tomatoes and bell peppers).

Is fertilizing something I need to do regularly, or do I not even need to consider it?

Miraclegro or whatever big box store soil is usually good for a few months of nutrients. Palms and various dracaena (the most common tree looking things? sharp pointy leaves?) generally take fertilizer once a month during the growing season and then not so much during the winter.

Peppers and tomatoes you have to feed too but I stop short of making blanket statements because it depends if you're using liquid or granules, chemicals or organic, if they're still growing stems and leaves or if they're fruiting, etc.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Volunteer squash-type plant has started to set fruit.

Definitely thinking pumpkin now.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a potted lemon tree with a heavy scale infestation. I wasn’t able to keep up with it over the winter (it’s too cold here for the lemon to overwinter outside, so it spends the season in our house where I can’t spray it), and it barely survived. Now that it’s warm enough I’ve moved it outside, pruned off the most heavily infested sections and have been spraying it with neem oil weekly. It’s recovering nicely and has tons of new growth, but the scale is still spreading!

I’m looking for any suggestions on how I can better treat it. I’d like to get a horticultural oil spray attachment for my garden hose (or another type of sprayer) so I can REALLY drench it - I’ve been using a spray bottle which is less effective, lmk if anyone has a favorite sprayer? I’m also curious what else is out there as far as treatment options go. It’s fruiting, so it’s important that whatever I do not pollute the fruit with nasty, lingering chemicals since we enjoy eating the lemons, and also I’d like something that’s pollinator safe. Would a different oil be more effective?

Please help me save my tree, thank you!!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

Looks an awful lot like zucchini.

Edit: Regardless of the end product, that's a really happy plant.

mischief fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jun 11, 2023

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

kedo posted:

I have a potted lemon tree with a heavy scale infestation. I wasn’t able to keep up with it over the winter (it’s too cold here for the lemon to overwinter outside, so it spends the season in our house where I can’t spray it), and it barely survived. Now that it’s warm enough I’ve moved it outside, pruned off the most heavily infested sections and have been spraying it with neem oil weekly. It’s recovering nicely and has tons of new growth, but the scale is still spreading!

I’m looking for any suggestions on how I can better treat it. I’d like to get a horticultural oil spray attachment for my garden hose (or another type of sprayer) so I can REALLY drench it - I’ve been using a spray bottle which is less effective, lmk if anyone has a favorite sprayer? I’m also curious what else is out there as far as treatment options go. It’s fruiting, so it’s important that whatever I do not pollute the fruit with nasty, lingering chemicals since we enjoy eating the lemons, and also I’d like something that’s pollinator safe. Would a different oil be more effective?

Please help me save my tree, thank you!!

Not sure what size we're talking about for this to be practical or not, but you can saturate a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe down branch by branch, leaf by leaf

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mischief posted:

Looks an awful lot like zucchini.

Edit: Regardless of the end product, that's a really happy plant.

The plants are vining though, so I don't think it is zucchini.

And yeah the plants are extremely happy:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shifty Pony posted:

Volunteer squash-type plant has started to set fruit.

just wait till the squash vine borers move in

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nosre posted:

Not sure what size we're talking about for this to be practical or not, but you can saturate a paper towel with rubbing alcohol and wipe down branch by branch, leaf by leaf

It’s about eight feet tall and covered in spines, so if I can avoid this I’d like to. :P But thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

The plants are vining though, so I don't think it is zucchini.

And yeah the plants are extremely happy:

There are vining zucchini because of course there are, but that's not what I'd expect from a self-seeded plant. This one's going to be a slot machine: cucurbits loooove to cross-pollinate and make weird new fruit. I hope this one is nifty; it's a gorgeous plant.