Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Boris Galerkin posted:

If ChatGPT generates text randomly then what use is it to me, the person doing a peer review of the paper that's citing information out of ChatGPT? Or me, the person reading this article (that cites information out of ChatGPT) trying to get information to use in my own research?

e: When I run my numerical models to gleam information, one of the cornerstones of this modeling is that the outcome is deterministic. That it doesn't depend on the time of day I run my model, or the weather conditions on the surface of the sun, or whether or not a bunch of birds are flying overhead and altering some quantum fields, or whether or not someone else is generating random data on the same computer I run my model, etc. The outcome should be deterministic, to a reasonable extent measured by some metric like rms error etc.

If you had direct access to the model you could do this! You would need all of the backend info OpenAI baked into ChatGPT, but with local LLMs, you can precisely replicate responses based on specific input and parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

The example is written the way it is as a response to the limitations and issues in citing ChatGPT

Yes that's what I'm saying.

The article describes the limited context in which citing ChatGPT would make sense because of its many limitations, errors, and general weirdness, and it prescribes how you should cite it (which is the same format whether your use of it makes sense or not).

That's why the "lmao the APA style idiots should've just said never to cite ChatGPT" reaction is stupid.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

This is all of the input data supplied to an LLM when running inference to generate results from a trained model. These things start feeling a lot less magical when you can prod at them to see how they work. If nothing changes between hitting generate, you'll get the same response 100% of the time, as would anyone else running with these same inputs, including seed, on the same model.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

This is all of the input data supplied to an LLM when running inference to generate results from a trained model. These things start feeling a lot less magical when you can prod at them to see how they work. If nothing changes between hitting generate, you'll get the same response 100% of the time, as would anyone else running with these same inputs, including seed, on the same model.

Well, no, because this set of inputs includes a randomized seed. Someone entering the exact values listed here would get a different seed from what you did, and so potentially a different response. In order to have it consistently reproducible, you would also have to provide the exact seed you ended up with.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Thinking about it more, and with seeing those screenshots above, and taking into consideration of a paper researching LLMs might want to cite LLM output, I think the problem for me is the word “reference.”

Like, say I write a journal article about the results of my numerical model, citing the results as a reference is not a thing that people do. Whether I use commercial software like ANSYS or custom in-house code, nobody cites the model as a reference and doing so makes no sense at all. What you might do is cite other sources as reference to the model you’re running, and you may cite other sources to reference the model parameters you chose to use, but citing the software that spits out the numbers? That’s just not a thing.

Or put it this way, if I were to write a paper on LLM I could see it making perfect sense to include a table showing all those parameters displayed in the pictures above. I could see it making perfect sense to cite OpenAI’s paper(s) on their LLM as reference explaining the models. It would make sense to include input and output given to ChatGPT as well. But it makes NO SENSE to cite ChatGPT as a reference here.

Or even simpler: if you do a math problem on a calculator it makes no sense to cite Casio or Texas Instruments as a reference on how you got the output “69”.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2023

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, no, because this set of inputs includes a randomized seed. Someone entering the exact values listed here would get a different seed from what you did, and so potentially a different response. In order to have it consistently reproducible, you would also have to provide the exact seed you ended up with.

I specified seed, but you're correct. You would want to include this as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is it really that much sillier and non-reproducible than "Goon McGoonerson, Personal Correspondence"? It's not like people expect to be able to demand the personal correspondence to corroborate, right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Is it really that much sillier and non-reproducible than "Goon McGoonerson, Personal Correspondence"? It's not like people expect to be able to demand the personal correspondence to corroborate, right?

Yes, there is a difference.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

No, although writers are highly encouraged to include the part of the correspondence they're relying on as a quote. However, with a well-cited personal correspondence, it's entirely possible that someone else can write to the person and ask "hey, X said in their paper that you told them this, are they full of poo poo?".

That said, it's not like "personal correspondence" citations are highly encouraged either. We can look at the APA rules for personal correspondence citations and see exactly how highly they think of that:

quote:

Works that cannot be recovered by readers are cited in the text as personal communications. Personal communications include emails, text messages, online chats or direct messages, personal interviews, telephone conversations, live speeches, nonarchived social media livestreams (e.g., Instagram Live, Twitter Spaces), unrecorded webinars, unrecorded classroom lectures, memos, letters, messages from nonarchived discussion groups or online bulletin boards, and so on.

Use a personal communication citation only when a recoverable source is not available. For example, if you learned about a topic via a classroom lecture, it would be preferable to cite the research on which the instructor based the lecture. However, if the lecture contained original content not published elsewhere, cite the lecture as a personal communication.

When communications are recoverable only in an archive (e.g., a presidential library), cite them as archival materials. Likewise, if a live social media event was recorded and is now available on another platform (e.g., an Instagram Live video recorded and saved to a public YouTube video), use the corresponding template to create the reference (e.g., create a YouTube reference for the Instagram Live video available on YouTube).

Do not use a personal communication citation for quotes or information from participants whom you interviewed as part of your own original research; instead, quote those participants directly.

The clear implication is that "personal correspondence" is a citation of last resort, to be used when the information has essentially never been written down or recorded anywhere outside of your personal email inbox.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Reproducible psudorandom beats this poo poo out of true random for just about anything except deployed cryptography.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Remulak posted:

Reproducible psudorandom beats this poo poo out of true random for just about anything except deployed cryptography.

i keep a dice box on my desk and roll a die when i need something. it's cheap and simple and quick.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

i keep a dice box on my desk and roll a die when i need something. it's cheap and simple and quick.

Citation required

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Citation required

Arivia [Arivia]. (2023, June 11). Tech Nightmares 6: entries by user "Nword Balls" that show a pretty convincing goatse [Online forum post]. Something Awful.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3763277&perpage=40&pagenumber=1362#post532447332

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jun 12, 2023

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t really see the problem with having a citation style for ChatGPT. It’s obviously not an endorsement for the technology. And the irreproducibility is something to be addresssed in the text, just like any other methodological issues. Don’t attack a style guide just because you don’t like the source.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Academics are mostly going to cite ChatGPT either as an example of an LLM or as a comparison model in an experiment. BERT and GPT-3 papers have tens of thousands of citations so there's nothing strange at all about citing entire models, but the difference with ChatGPT is there's no similar foundation paper.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/m_d_c_t/status/1668070983498977280

Ahhhh hell, another data point in favor of 'AI nattering is a red flag for management eptitude'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Discord is on fire?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Good?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So Discord is on fire, Reddit is going through open revolt, twitters dying, facebook's almost dead to the under 40's. Is there any social media that isn't in a decline at the moment?

I assume tik toks doing just fine?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Besidies some issues with Government intervention, tik tok is making money hand over first.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

dr_rat posted:

Is there any social media that isn't in a decline at the moment?

Buddy you're on one.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tayter Swift posted:

Buddy you're on one.

Hoorah, twenty year old decisions well made!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

One weird social media trick they don’t want you to know:

ruthlessly banning assholes!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

dr_rat posted:

So Discord is on fire, Reddit is going through open revolt, twitters dying, facebook's almost dead to the under 40's. Is there any social media that isn't in a decline at the moment?

I assume tik toks doing just fine?

Mega Comrade posted:

Besidies some issues with Government intervention, tik tok is making money hand over first.

Too bad

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

YouTube is still great. Educational YouTube is legit. I spent a recent flight watching downloaded videos about religious history. Then at home I watch everything from Succession scenes to cooking videos to gadget reviews to hotel room reviews. No bullshit. Premium is a clean no-frills product with a clear value proposition too.

That said I’m really bummed about the recent reddit shutdowns because it literally makes it like 200% harder to find honest, good reviews of things. YouTube only kinda covers that gap. I wish Reddit would sack up and do the right thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What’s wrong with Discord? Are we hating on it now because “it’s a slack but for teenagers who play video games”? And if that’s what you think then “ok boomer” is all I’ve got to say.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
They keep trying to make it be something other than voicechat / IRC with media hosting

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s wrong with Discord? Are we hating on it now because “it’s a slack but for teenagers who play video games”? And if that’s what you think then “ok boomer” is all I’ve got to say.

I hate all technology, even the ones keeping me alive. Especially those.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The quality of their app deteriorates quickly, too. I had to uninstall it from my phone because opening the message from notifications made all the channels and contacts display only the said message, requiring to force close the app and reopen

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Boris Galerkin posted:

As someone who uses discord and has done for years, it is slack for video games.

I just wonder when the VC money is gonna dry up cos no way they are covering costs with nitro.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boris Galerkin posted:

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/m_d_c_t/status/1668070983498977280

Next in the ongoing social media apocalypse: Discord!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't worry, I just took their user feedback survey and was very frank about how they're about to gently caress things up. I'm sure it'll get them turned around in a jiffy

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mega Comrade posted:

As someone who uses discord and has done for years, it is slack for video games.

I just wonder when the VC money is gonna dry up cos no way they are covering costs with nitro.

Didn't Sony acquire Discord?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Didn't Sony acquire Discord?

No they have a minority stake in the company

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Remember when Discord tried to launch a video game storefront?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
It's trying to turn into regular slack

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

They should try turning it into Tic tok. That's still popular just do that!

Do the kid's these days still uses those tamagotchi things? Add something like that in as well!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It's trying to turn into loving facebook/twitter.

The whole stupid movement towards removing the old decimator system for usernames was a sign of wanting their users to have true unique identifiers to allow for it to be an open platform where they can sell special usernames to companies. Can't have Nabisco competing with nabisco#0001-9999.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crain posted:

It's trying to turn into loving facebook/twitter.

The whole stupid movement towards removing the old decimator system for usernames was a sign of wanting their users to have true unique identifiers to allow for it to be an open platform where they can sell special usernames to companies. Can't have Nabisco competing with nabisco#0001-9999.

Well they hosed that up already:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's weird because my Discord is just a bunch of chat rooms. There's no Facebook/Twitter like functionality I see anywhere. I guess they are A/B testing and I'm not in the cohort getting these weird features.