Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
The team that The Run is using is terrible, with it struggling with Liquid Flame and Soul Cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Byblos can be taken down with geomancer pretty easily at least

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 11, 2023

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CourtlyHades296 posted:

The team that The Run is using is terrible, with it struggling with Liquid Flame and Soul Cannon.

They're also $116 away from having to fight rugwizard

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

In addition, since FJF 2021 inspired me to take up speedrunning the game, I'm adding a new speedrun :toxx:

Finish the game in under 10 hours (in game time) and get $10. Each additional hour shaved off is another $10. A screenshot of the menu in the final room of the void within ~5 minutes of the hour marker (to account for the exdeath battle) will suffice as proof. GBA and PR both show the room you're in, SNES doesn't so it'll be on the honor system.

Since the challenge is for in game time resets don't count towards your time, so you are free to try low success rate strats to save time. This one will max out at $250.

Speedrun: Princey (6:46, $40), JoseV (9:38, $10), CourtlyHades296 (6:32, $40), SirSystemError (7:00, $30)
0-CK: Kliff, Serene Dragon, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Red Metal, Android Blues, SirSystemError x2, Pacra, Cattail Prophet, Doom Goon

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 31, 2023

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Mustached Demon posted:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

can you pridefully name him? i don't think the game supports text color tags :v:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Raitzeno posted:

can you pridefully name him? i don't think the game supports text color tags :v:

I hope to see some silly names.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Mustached Demon posted:

I hope to see some silly names.

Does FkTRFs (gently caress terfs) count? :v:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Enby reporting for duty. Me and my chocobo just go wherever the trail let's us

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
Now the runners for The Run have to beat Rugwizard to get to Leviathan.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Leaving the game on overnight waiting for Omniscient's MP pool to drain.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

This might be the only team in existence that has Knight, but doesn't want to send it up the physical side for guard + cover strats against Minotaur. Having to coordinate your attacks with the reflected mage masher procs means jumping with the chicken knife is off the table for Omniscient, and doublehanding your strongest sword is the next best damage option by far. Brave blade run is... probably still a meme, but maybe almost real now?

E: I'll admit I have no idea what the !Gaia list is for the Omniscient fight, maybe it makes more sense to have the geomancer attack instead of being on mage masher duty?

Double edit: Oh right, equip axes. Lol never mind, just slap the rune axe on your geomancer and go to town.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 13, 2023

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

E: I'll admit I have no idea what the !Gaia list is for the Omniscient fight, maybe it makes more sense to have the geomancer attack instead of being on mage masher duty?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Also, even if you could, it's the lovely Wind Slash/Wind Slash/Sonic Boom/Twister table.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

To be fair, rugwizard IS weak to wind so it wouldnt be bad if it didnt cause him to have a conniption and restart the battle

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

To be fair, rugwizard IS weak to wind so it wouldnt be bad if it didnt cause him to have a conniption and restart the battle

If Gaia tables were evenly distributed I'd somewhat agree but that's 20/level odds. :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It doesn't really matter in this case since you're relying on Reflected Mage Masher procs anyway. One person goes for procs, the other hits with whatever does the most damage.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

God that fight is gonna take hours, because the proc rate is low and rug wizard has regen.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
They'll be able to hit hard enough that it probably won't be that much trouble to fight. Knight Swords and Double Grip? Rug Wizard doesn't have that much HP, and his Regen effect is pretty weak overall.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

the proc rate isn't THAT low, it's 33% and you can put a reflect ring on someone and attack them to reflect the proc so that failed procs don't reset the fight (assuming that still works in PR?)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Are they doing the Pixel Remaster this year for The Run?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I bought a copy of V PR for this years run in a mix of wanting to do the 4jf and see how it plays on my 'Deck.

Answer: OK but the stupid FPS refresh rate issue is very obvious.

Kinda regretting it, its clear SE really don't give much of a gently caress with their PC Ports.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

I've always loved this :swoon:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

God that fight is gonna take hours, because the proc rate is low and rug wizard has regen.

I had poo poo for magic one run last year and sent a SAM with masher up solo (after rediscovering hippieshit.gif) and it was like ten minutes. It's a good length to be funny but not absurd.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

between 2h excalibur and geomancer with equip rune axe it should be pretty quick but it's still annoying.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It also necessitates grinding for Reflect Rings, which isn't always pleasant (especially on PR where you can't abuse quick save).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mega64 posted:

It also necessitates grinding for Reflect Rings, which isn't always pleasant (especially on PR where you can't abuse quick save).

Not like that wasn't already happening for exdeath with this team.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Mega64 posted:

At least on console PR you can turn off encounters if you want.

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
When I do the Speedrun Toxx, my team will be a Normal team (Blue/Time/Beastmaster/Chemist) on GBA.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 15, 2023

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
I'm thinking of picking up the Pixel Remaster this year for completing a few runs. Are there any major bug fixes in the pixel remaster that makes a tough draw more challenging?

I know we lose quick save abuse, so mighty guard and mover farming becomes more tedious. But, are any other classes significantly worse? Thinking of berzerkers and phantom targets on X-death and things like that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

They fixed Beastmaster so it can't lock down Omega.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

CourtlyHades296 posted:

When I do the Speedrun Toxx, my team will be a Normal team (Blue/Time/Beastmaster/Chemist) on GBA.
With that team this could come in handy to save time farming chemist items

https://youtu.be/4Ss2lXlG_Wk

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm thinking that Typhoon 750 is basically easy mode. White mage, black mage, and blue mage are all really good and you get 4 chances to get them.

1/3 chance of starting off with white mage but that's whatever. After that you're guaranteed to get at least one rod breaking job, all of which are really good. Red mage is almost guaranteed to get a job that can use Dualcast, unless you get something like BLU/RDM/GEO/BRD, but then you still have a blue mage.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Ayudo posted:

I'm thinking of picking up the Pixel Remaster this year for completing a few runs. Are there any major bug fixes in the pixel remaster that makes a tough draw more challenging?

I know we lose quick save abuse, so mighty guard and mover farming becomes more tedious. But, are any other classes significantly worse? Thinking of berzerkers and phantom targets on X-death and things like that.

There is a notable benefit in having the ability to one-button toggle random encounters and the ability to separately increase xp, Gil, and/or AP up to 4x for way less grinding (looking at you Red Mage).

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Let's see if I can do a run before the next Final Fantasy eats my entire life

E: Also I've mentioned before in prev threads that something weird always happens to me midway through my run that stops me finishing, people have died, I've cut myself badly with a used needle in work (thankfully it only messed up my hand and not my life), I've lost jobs, gotten hired, it's always nuts. I finally finished a run in 2021 and then immediately beefed it in 2022 when I got notice on my apt. What amazing malady will hit me this year?

Checked my progress from last year and I got to the Fire Ship in Karnak on the first day of the Fiesta so it really kicked in fast last year. Also I'm called Birth Control which must have been for a toxx

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 16, 2023

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shoehead posted:

Also I'm called Birth Control which must have been for a toxx

Last year was for Planned Parenthood, so there was a name bounty for Planned Parenthood-related names. :eng101:

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

With an in-game time of 2 hours and 50 minutes (team BLU/TIM/BST/CHM), a Shield Dragon is slain and the game is saved outside Kuzar castle.

With an in-game time of 2 hours and 54 minutes, the Tyrannosaur is slain, Faris has learned !Mix and the game is saved close to the desert near the Moogle Village.

CourtlyHades296 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 16, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

As a heads up, The Run is currently schedules for tomorrow, at 9am EST.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

CourtlyHades296 posted:

With an in-game time of 2 hours and 50 minutes (team BLU/TIM/BST/CHM), a Shield Dragon is slain and the game is saved outside Kuzar castle.

With an in-game time of 2 hours and 54 minutes, the Tyrannosaur is slain, Faris has learned !Mix and the game is saved close to the desert near the Moogle Village.

Not that I don’t appreciate the hustle, but you know the charity event hasn’t started yet, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021

nrook posted:

Not that I don’t appreciate the hustle, but you know the charity event hasn’t started yet, right?

I know it hasn't started yet, but I'm doing the Speedrun toxx run before starting my first official run. Neo Exdeath will wait until the Fiesta has started.