Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Cat Machine posted:

He was yeah

Was talking about Garling lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Film Red is as canon as Strong World which is to say that everything in it except the actual events of the movie is canon

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

So, what was Garps original plan with the boys? Did he want them to become such powerful Marines that the WG would have to reconsider executing them if their lineage was discovered? Luffy might be safe with that plan but I dont think any amount of achievement could have wiped away being the Pirate Kings son.

Do you think the Celestials and Imu enjoy having a D as the Marine Hero, or do you think they hate it? I keep wondering if this is a case of 'Haha, look how powerful we are, even our enemies work for us now' or 'That man is 100% going to betray me SOMEDAY even though hes given me 45 years of loyal service'?

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Meme Emulator posted:

So, what was Garps original plan with the boys? Did he want them to become such powerful Marines that the WG would have to reconsider executing them if their lineage was discovered? Luffy might be safe with that plan but I dont think any amount of achievement could have wiped away being the Pirate Kings son.

Do you think the Celestials and Imu enjoy having a D as the Marine Hero, or do you think they hate it? I keep wondering if this is a case of 'Haha, look how powerful we are, even our enemies work for us now' or 'That man is 100% going to betray me SOMEDAY even though hes given me 45 years of loyal service'?

I think he hoped to keep their lineage a secret forever. Hell, Luffy didn't even know who his father was for the longest time.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The rising star of the marines, Donkey M. Luffy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

“What if Luffy and Ace joined the Marines” is definitely one of the most compelling What Ifs in One Piece because it actually kinda feels like their stories would have unfolded in more or less the same way regardless of what faction they came up through

HerraS posted:

Was talking about Garling lol
dohhhh, i read no good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if garp managed to strongarm either of them into the marines i doubt they'd stay there for very long.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cat Machine posted:

“What if Luffy and Ace joined the Marines” is definitely one of the most compelling What Ifs in One Piece because it actually kinda feels like their stories would have unfolded in more or less the same way regardless of what faction they came up through

It would be incredibly bizzare to see luffy being ordered around though. Or maybe not, Nami does it. But like, that changes the dynamics of the entire story, instead of following the log Luffy just gets ordered to go places.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

After a series of incredible coincidences, Luffy will be ordered to go to the same places.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sengoku would probably cover for Garp the best he could but eventually the WG would get wise to who their fathers are and want them dead.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

It would be incredibly bizzare to see luffy being ordered around though. Or maybe not, Nami does it. But like, that changes the dynamics of the entire story, instead of following the log Luffy just gets ordered to go places.
I feel like it’d be a lot like Garp where the Navy would recognise that Luffy is a strong, well-intentioned guy and give him some degree of autonomy because it usually leads to some local crook or pirate captain being brought to justice.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Luffy being a marine could only ever really last until he meets a Celestial Dragon. I honestly don't know how Garp has lasted as long as he has. I have to assume Sengoku just keeps him as far away from them as possible at all times. Or that Garp is a much shittier person than the story presents him as.

But really I doubt Luffy could get past Robin's backstory before turning on the WG. Luffy's personality is just incompatible with putting up with the WG's poo poo.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 12, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Luffy being a marine could only ever really last until he meets a Celestial Dragon. I honestly don't know how Garp has lasted as long as he has. I have to assume Sengoku just keeps him as far away from them as possible at all times. Or that Garp is a much shittier person than the story presents him as.

Sengoku explicitly mentions that Garp hates the CDs and even feels ashamed to have protected them during the God Valley incident, so yes, I assume Sengoku had the sense to keep Garp away from them.

Edit: The odd thing is that the Marines haven't overthrown the CDs already, really. Green Bull is the only high-ranking Marine we've seen who seems to actually like them. Though "they give us funding, many of the national governments see them as an important source of legitimacy, and we have our hands full enough fighting pirates without fighting the Holy Knights too" might be a sufficient explanation.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 12, 2023

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Honestly it's kind of amazing that Fujitora didn't say whoops and drop half the Kuiper belt on the holy land given his writing

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Word from Stephen Paul (via the One Piece Podcast) is the Frame/Flame translation was a coin flip, he just took a guess at which would be correct. No word-of-goda knowledge involved.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So in the case of things like flame/frame, is it supposed to be a westernised word in the first place?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jassa posted:

Word from Stephen Paul (via the One Piece Podcast) is the Frame/Flame translation was a coin flip, he just took a guess at which would be correct. No word-of-goda knowledge involved.

It's a pretty strange guess, to be honest; the whole talk about how Vegapunk invented it but how he wouldn't create an island-destroying weapon seemed like a pretty obvious hint that it's a power source, and thus it should be Mother Flame.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

So in the case of things like flame/frame, is it supposed to be a westernised word in the first place?

If it's in katakana, generally.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s Mother Frame because it’s gonna be a gundam

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It’s Mother Frame because it’s gonna be a gundam

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Get in the loving robot, Luffy

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Frame could have been a mother to me!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

jassa posted:

That seems like a weird thing to flip a coin on considering all the flame talk on Egghead. Its not like Punk Records was called Punk Mainframe, or we got any sort of Frame talk anywhere at all.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Could we just be talking about the Mother Frame that holds the Mother Flame? Seems like that fits it all in one.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Cat Machine posted:

dohhhh, i read no good

Luffy and Ace being the idiot muscle under Marine captain Sabo would own.

Nephthys posted:

But really I doubt Luffy could get past Robin's backstory before turning on the WG. Luffy's personality is just incompatible with putting up with the WG's poo poo.

I think Robin would just gently caress off rather than joining a Marine crew so he probably wouldn't hear about Ohara until much later. But even by water 7 he'd be seeing the WG pulling poo poo that can't be blamed on one corrupt marine/warlord.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Never forget this masterpiece :love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-n23nZBl-c

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

One Piece amv time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOz7apEzrTU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_VL8byfuhY

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Portgas D Ace might manage to skirt around the issue of his father, anyone could've had a child with Portgaz D Rouge after all, and Monkey D Luffy grandson of Monkey D Garp sounds like a reasonable enough option to join the marines. It's a coin flip if he's like his grandfather or father (and in the end he was neither anyway) but I imagine Garps actual plan was to have them be his apprentices directly anyway. They'd join the marines, and he'd show up to get them early on. A bit like what Helmeppo and Coby ended up doing but more intentional.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

If it's in katakana, generally.

I know that Japanese doesn't really differentiate between the two sounds, but if they're borrowing words from a language that does then that really seems like something they should be able to clarify instead of the translator having to guess. Flame and frame are not even remotely close in concept, even providing a single synonym would immediately tell the translators which it is.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, to be fair, knowing One Piece, the series with X-Calibur, it’s at least possible that it’s a wordplay thing and like someone else suggested Mother Frame has some sort of association with fire.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Brook already has experience destroying Mother Frames

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Really, that's always the rub with translating a serialized work as it's running, you kinda sometimes just have to make a guess as to what's going to be significant later on.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

Brook already has experience destroying Mother Frames

Such a great gag.

:yohoho:

Text insert: "WHO IS THIS LUFFY?!"

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Thinking about how Shanks ended up on Roger's crew got me wondering…I'm not interested in the idea of a future kid spinoff, but it would be funny if the Straw Hats ended up accidentally adopting/kidnapping some random orphan after Luffy becomes pirate king and all that jazz. Like, the kid stows away on the ship and the Straw Hats never quite get around to finding some proper parents to take care of them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nami's more responsible than that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

I have to wonder if Brook's pre-Rumbar Pirates backstory will come back as relevant as some point. Being the leader of a battle convoy in a "certain kingdom" seems like the typical Oda breadcrumb which he will tie back in to some other relevant character/event later on. Garling seems old enough to have that be a potential relationship if there's a God's Valley tie in.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I know that Japanese doesn't really differentiate between the two sounds, but if they're borrowing words from a language that does then that really seems like something they should be able to clarify instead of the translator having to guess. Flame and frame are not even remotely close in concept, even providing a single synonym would immediately tell the translators which it is.
We don't transliterate tones when we're writing out Chinese words. I'm sure if an English language work regularly had Chinese words spelled out in Latin text in it you'd get a lot more ambiguity than when Japanese stuff uses English words in katakana. Katakana is for Japanese people to phonetically pronounce stuff. If they wanted to be clear it could be written in romaji/the Latin alphabet. Generally there's no reason to do that for fantasy jargon in a manga.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Eiba posted:

We don't transliterate tones when we're writing out Chinese words. I'm sure if an English language work regularly had Chinese words spelled out in Latin text in it you'd get a lot more ambiguity than when Japanese stuff uses English words in katakana.

But...we do do that, though! At least sometimes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin#Tones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Teek posted:

I have to wonder if Brook's pre-Rumbar Pirates backstory will come back as relevant as some point. Being the leader of a battle convoy in a "certain kingdom" seems like the typical Oda breadcrumb which he will tie back in to some other relevant character/event later on. Garling seems old enough to have that be a potential relationship if there's a God's Valley tie in.

anything that happened outside of the grand line might as well have happened on another planet. even though franky is perfectly capable of figuring out how to reproduce the seastone hull lining to traverse the calm belt, doing so would mess up the entire narrative.