Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Seldom Posts posted:

The last policeman series is great. Incredible mashup of noir and post apocalyptic delivered in a very grounded way.

I read this series around 4 months into covid and it triggered a depressive episode. So very powerful writing, I would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

big dyke energy posted:

I just finished it and LOVED it. There are some characters from the earlier books that show up in passing or are mentioned, but they aren't major and it's not important if you recognize them or not. The book does a really good job at explaining the entire galaxy situation and also moving past that to actually tell the story that's currently happening.

I really loved the Presger Translators in this book, they're so loving cool and weird and gross.

I'm about halfway through and I'm really enjoying it so far. Leckie has a real knack for making alien societies out of humans or mostly-humans.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Seldom Posts posted:

The last policeman series is great. Incredible mashup of noir and post apocalyptic delivered in a very grounded way.

Agree! TLP has a lot of things to say about slow decay, doing your best in the face of inevitably, the value of both being honest with yourself and the benefit of self-deception. Great book.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ancillary Justice won the Hugo and Nebula for a reason. Was an incredible series. If you liked it I will definitely second the recommendation for Translation State.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Remulak posted:

God I love this book, metaphor made real.

I've bounced off of the other China Miéville books I've tried to read, but I really enjoyed The City & the City. Definitely an odd but neat book.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm about 40% throught Curse of the Mistwraith and I'm finding it a bit slow... does it get better?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

No. No more dancing! posted:

I've bounced off of the other China Miéville books I've tried to read, but I really enjoyed The City & the City. Definitely an odd but neat book.

I thought the BBC adaptation was surprisingly good.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

D-Pad posted:

I am enjoying the new Ann Leckie. The presger translators were some of my favorite parts of the original trilogy and this book heavily focuses on them and they are appropriately weird af

Ty for making me aware this was out!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm about 40% throught Curse of the Mistwraith and I'm finding it a bit slow... does it get better?

I admit it was a DNF for me, but the pace does pick up about halfway through.

For me, the catch wasn't so much the pace but that I didn't like any of the main characters. (Except Elaira. The book needed more Elaira.)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I still wonder whether China was inspired by that city divided into two halves that don't acknowledge each other in The Dying Earth. Though that one had a hovercar in it.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Gotta say that The Last Policeman sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for the tip, I think I know what I'm getting with my next audible credit.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Seldom Posts posted:

I have mixed feelings about this series, but they’re strongly mixed because they’re worth it, I paid more than $9 for the three well worth it and then ~15 hours.

I’ve been told I met the dude a couple of times when he was working on the (better) Underground Airlines but he made zero impression. I’m sure it was mutual.

Now that I think about it this was when I lived l think 7 doors away from Fault of Our Stars author John Green also with no awareness other than some neighbor had cool literary stuff on their fence posts, then later a big boat and constant renovations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Seldom Posts posted:

Strictly speaking pre-apocalyptic, no?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda of just apocalyptic. Society has already kinda gone in the shitter in book one.

Dark books. Good books, but dark.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Groke posted:

Strictly speaking pre-apocalyptic, no?

I would say “during the apocalypse” as much as anything.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

HopperUK posted:

I thought the BBC adaptation was surprisingly good.

Yeah, the BBC adaptation had fantastic aesthetics for their budget:

Seldom Posts posted:

I read the first book in the last policeman series, but then I felt like I had gotten the point and never continued. Do the sequels add some new twist to the concept, or is it just more relentless existential despair?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The BBC adaptation makes a very major change to the plot that I quite like in how it economizes the story. Worth a watch for those who’ve read the book.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

FPyat posted:

The BBC adaptation makes a very major change to the plot that I quite like in how it economizes the story. Worth a watch for those who’ve read the book.

I thought all of the changes they made were improvements, and I was a big fan of the book to begin with:

Borlú has an ex-wife who disappeared mysteriously and is presumed taken by Breach, giving him more of a personal stake in figuring out the secrets of the cities.

Instead of basically being invisible, which wouldn't work well on TV, Breach are undercover agents living amongst us. Any of your friends or colleagues could secretly be working for Breach! A major character turns out to have been a Breach agent all along and takes the place of the old man in the Breach investigation section, ensuring that the viewer has a pre-existing attachment to both characters.

On a more minor note, Borlú's Ul-Qoma counterpart is a gay woman instead of a straight man. You get the same scene of her inviting Borlú home to the wife for dinner, but now the subtext is that Ul-Qoma is more progressive. It makes the story less of a sausage-fest while avoiding any will-they-won't-they romance subplot.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

FPyat posted:

I still wonder whether China was inspired by that city divided into two halves that don't acknowledge each other in The Dying Earth. Though that one had a hovercar in it.

Pedantic, but I'm pretty sure that city was actually in Servants of the Wankh. Vance made up so many loopy alien societies it's hard to keep them all straight...

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Sailor Viy posted:

Pedantic, but I'm pretty sure that city was actually in Servants of the Wankh. Vance made up so many loopy alien societies it's hard to keep them all straight...

I have just checked and yes, this book did have a slightly different title in the UK for... reasons

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I have just checked and yes, this book did have a slightly different title in the UK for... reasons

The UK edition dropped the H.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Sailor Viy posted:

Talking specifically about the city in "Ulan Dhor."

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
https://subterraneanpress.com/newsannouncing-no-choice-a-free-ebook-by-k-j-parker/

Free KJ parker novelette from subterranean press

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Sailor Viy posted:

edit: maybe I'm wrong

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 13, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Been playing D4 and the world is captivating, this demon infested hellworld with pockets of besieged towns. Are there books with that kind of vibe? (not the actual Diablo books) A good example would be The Warded Man the first book in the Demon Cycle (I couldn't get very far into book 2, though I can't recall why, just that I didn't like it.)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

zoux posted:

Been playing D4 and the world is captivating, this demon infested hellworld with pockets of besieged towns. Are there books with that kind of vibe? (not the actual Diablo books) A good example would be The Warded Man the first book in the Demon Cycle (I couldn't get very far into book 2, though I can't recall why, just that I didn't like it.)

Some of the stories in Ligotti's Teatro Grotessco have that vibe for me. No swords though if that is a requisite

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sure it can be polearms, maces, flails, all that stuff is fine. (I am looking for more of a fantasy setting than a cosmic horror setting....unless there was some incredible book that amalgamated them)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I assume you’ve done Between Two Fires

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, but I'm thinking about hitting myself in the head with a hammer until I forget about it so I can read it again

I think my affinity for this demonic poo poo comes from my evangelical upbringing and being blown away by Frank Peretti's Piercing the Darkness and This Present Darkness. I'm sure they're unreadable trash to a normie but to an 11 year old hardcore christian they were fantastic. Also all this stuff was massively forbidden, I freaked the hell out of my mom by checking a book on witches and witchcraft out from the library at school. See what you did to me, christian upbringing!

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 13, 2023

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Berserk is technically a type of book

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

zoux posted:

Why not consume the many B grade Diablo novels?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ravus Ursus posted:

Why not consume the many B grade Diablo novels?
I can say with some certainty they're going to better than The Warded Man. And that's without having read any.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

God’s Demon by Wayne Barlow is about actual cities in Hell ruled by demons. There’s no real human resistance, mostly just demons scheming and fighting each other. It’s a setting I don’t see much with some cool ideas.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

zoux posted:

Broken Earth trilogy

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

RDM posted:

Broken Earth trilogy

If you count that, then the Commonweal series by Graydon Saunders.

mewse
May 2, 2006

i forgot i was gonna try reading the knaak diablo books

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Magicians (#1) by Lev Grossman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AU7MJU/

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

mewse posted:

i forgot i was gonna try reading the knaak diablo books

I've wanted to read the Sin War trilogy a few times now but book 2, Scales of the Serpent, is inexplicably not available in ebook format. I meant to buy the humblebundle of blizzard lore which included it a few months ago but I missed it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Groke posted:

If you count that, then the Commonweal series by Graydon Saunders.

New Saunder's alt just dropped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

I read the first book in the last policeman series, but then I felt like I had gotten the point and never continued. Do the sequels add some new twist to the concept, or is it just more relentless existential despair?

It's the same theme but it comes at it in different ways as society continues to decay. Also the relationship between the protagonist, his sister, and others is dug into the way that continues to reflect the theme.

But it is definitely an existentialist trilogy. I personally find it very uplifting but others may not and I understand why.