Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They did and it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Apparently there's another old-school GWP coming soon?

I don't think they were as successful in updating it as they were the other elements. Also while it's been a long time since I did much sailing that sail plan looks bizarre. Is that a second gaff mainsail behind the square-rigged one? Is one meant to be a topsail? Both??? Is it a Bermuda sloop with the dimensions all wrong (it's probably this)? On the one hand I'm definitely overthinking it, on the other hand it just looks weird.

I was gonna keep my big trap shut about it because I wasn't gonna buy it anyway but yes it's bothering me and I don't even sail myself, I just like learning about it

I'm sure in the fullness of time someone has tried this benighted wack-rear end sail plan but I expect that in practice the gaff sail basically eats all the wind out of the mainsail. It's like they took a regular brigantine with a square-rigged foremast and a fore-and-aft mainmast, and highlighted the entire middle of the loving boat, and hit delete.

(The real answer is its a toy for children and not a model of a working ship for boat dorks. I mean, how many airplanes have TLG made where the wings aren't nearly big enough to support the plane? If I were getting it, I'd just build it with the mainsail)

E: Now that I think about it, you would see that sail plan on the mizzenmast (the rear mast) of a full-rigged ship, where the gaff sail is called the spanker and isn't used at the same time as the square sail it's blocking. Poor ship's been fitted with some frigate's mizzen as its mainmast.

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 14, 2023

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
That set looks like they spent half the pieces recreating one of the old 3d bases. Not a huge fan for that price.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

When I was a kid I thought those raised baseplates looked pretty cool, but I never had any sets with them. Now that I've had a few I think most have been kind of a waste, none really do anything good with the pit area. and there are limited build options otherwise. This brick built version looks way better and seems to actually make use of the area underground which is great.

After this was first rumored I sold my Imperial Trading Post and have been piecing together an original Eldorado Fortress but I probably won't finish by the time this is released. I didn't have many pirate sets as a kid so I don't really have any attachment to them, and these modern versions are almost all better overall.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those baseplates are a pain in the rear end to store too. They're also not very strong, the ones I have show some stress cracks when too much weight was put on them.

The classic space craters plates do okay, at least there's only one type and they stack nicely. But there's several of those late 90's ones that are all unique molds and I hate them. The ones I have need their own special box just to store.

Not sure I'm a fan of replacing them with 1000 part builds so I don't know what the best solution is. BURPS are annoying too but maybe that's the middle ground lego should be using.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I was always partial to the 90 degree corner raised baseplates anyway. Or the Castle ones. These ones:

Anyway, here's the original for comparison:

The Unitron Monorail has a station on a raised baseplate. That always seemed appropriate to me as a kid when playing with it.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Based on lego masters australia, BURPS are actually the right solution to this. Flexible enough to use how you want, but not as expensive/time consuming as using other parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EZuwnQmP-k&t=210s video is sadly very shaky but useful info

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Waltzing Along posted:

They did and it sucked.
This one did it better tbh but it's not an official LEGO design.

Anyway, I unveiled the LEGO ball gag at this month's LEGO meeting and I'm told our president turned completely beet red. Probably doesn't help that it came, like, 5 minutes after he told some other folks to remember to keep their conversation family friendly. Anyway, our new monthly theme is "plants" so here's my family-friendly build for this one, a lovely vase:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yes! Become ungovernable, LUG members!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

Anyway, I unveiled the LEGO ball gag at this month's LEGO meeting and I'm told our president turned completely beet red. Probably doesn't help that it came, like, 5 minutes after he told some other folks to remember to keep their conversation family friendly. Anyway, our new monthly theme is "plants" so here's my family-friendly build for this one, a lovely vase:

CARBohydrates

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Carbohydrates posted:

instructions or riot

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
no dots no masters

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

instructions or riot
pdf
io

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Amazing.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
:okpos:

:lol:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

hell yes! (it's private though)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

hell yes! (it's private though)
Fixed sorry!

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Piece 79850 is wild and looks insanely useful

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Carbohydrates posted:

Fixed sorry!

<333333333333

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Carbohydrates posted:

hell yeah, this owns

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Talk about an illegal build

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It isn't in Canada but it's still cheaper to buy the stuff online from the grey market.

Brb gotta go to this randos house and hand him a $20 to pay for the baggie full of technic pieces I need to finish a MOC.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-10315-tranquil-garden-adds-a-touch-of-japanese-zen-to-your-lego-collection/

$110 USD / €105 EUR / £95 UK for 1,363 pieces. Looks delightful. The various trees and plants and such can be rearranged by preference. It has the "layered water" style of build like Ninjago City sets and the Lantern Festival used. Some new pieces and recolors. Already seen some folks musing about how small it is for the price, but it's on a 24 x 38 stud footprint, which is not exactly... small, and it's very dense.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jun 15, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
ffs lego stop it

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/lego-10315-tranquil-garden-adds-a-touch-of-japanese-zen-to-your-lego-collection/

$110 USD / €105 EUR / £95 UK for 1,363 pieces. Looks delightful. The various trees and plants and such can be rearranged by preference. It has the "layered water" style of build like Ninjago City sets and the Lantern Festival used. Some new pieces and recolors. Already seen some folks musing about how small it is for the price, but it's on a 24 x 38 stud footprint, which is not exactly... small, and it's very dense.

The Pyramid did this too, it's a very nice effect

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Just finished the Ecto-1 as my first complicated set and I'm pleased. It's also hilarious next to the old Ecto-1.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Carbohydrates posted:

Gorgeous

treetheheavy
Mar 28, 2005

That set looks chill as gently caress, and I dig the printed koi pieces.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Pretty certain we've had those printed koi before right, either in one of the Ninjago sets or the Spring Festival? Pretty sure I remember placing them somewhere.

Really hyped to see what Himeji Castle ends up being like; torn if I'll end up getting that or this one. The historical architecture sets have been outright my favorites of the past few years.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Koramei posted:

Pretty certain we've had those printed koi before right, either in one of the Ninjago sets or the Spring Festival? Pretty sure I remember placing them somewhere.
6331374 and 6331375 were introduced, and only used, in the Spring Lantern Festival. 6435012 was introduced, and only used before this new set, in the new Friends Botanical Garden set.

This new Tranquil Garden set appears to use that most recent Friends koi, as well as a new one we haven't seen before. So 4 unique koi tile prints total!

The new print, where visible:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i wish i liked technic. they make cool cars but i do not like building them compared to normal lego.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I spent the other night dismantling the big orange Porsche. It's even less pleasant to pull apart.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

GlenMR posted:

I spent the other night dismantling the big orange Porsche. It's even less pleasant to pull apart.

I need to do this with the Ferrari 488 GTE because I want to sell it but I keep putting it off

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
when you guys buy bricks for MOCs do you usually go through pick a brick, or are the 3rd party sellers good? they never seem to have 100% of the pieces i need and it's a bitch to order from multiple sellers it feels like

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

GlenMR posted:

This. I like how Technic sets go together but bah gawd is taking them apart a pain in the rear end. I bought a large assembled Technic set and began taking it apart for storage... I gave up after about half an hour and just broke it down into small enough chunks to fit in the box and that STILL took quite a lot of time. Everything interlocking together makes it feel solid and sturdy but it's hard to figure out how to get it back apart a lot of the time, especially if you didn't build it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Sunk Dunk posted:

when you guys buy bricks for MOCs do you usually go through pick a brick, or are the 3rd party sellers good? they never seem to have 100% of the pieces i need and it's a bitch to order from multiple sellers it feels like
Pick A Brick is situational for me because they have minimums for both Best Seller and Standard parts, so if I'm doing an order that calls for both, I'll need it to A) be a pretty decent size order to hit the minimums and skip the fees, and B) not use out-of-date pieces that I can't get through PAB. As a result, I rarely use it.

On the other hand, one big appeal of PAB is that you can stock up on parts that are limited in quantity in official sets. Those koi fish tiles from 2021 that I mentioned were on PAB, so if you decided you wanted 100 of them for some reason, it's a far better resource than trying to buy from BrickLink. If you desire larger quantities of current production pieces in new condition, go for it.

The vast, vast bulk of my LEGO ordering is through BrickLink. Yes, it's rare that one seller has all the parts you need, but I can usually get a MOC ordered from 2 or 3, which isn't so bad, and the parts are arriving at my door in less than a week (from North American sellers) as opposed to, like, a month down the line or however long PAB Standard orders take right now. Prices per element are usually better and, of course, you can buy non-current-production parts on BL that aren't available on PAB. If I'm ordering parts for a specific MOC, I am using BL 99% of the time.

If you're a big loving nerd and you join an RLUG, you can also use LUGBulk once per year to order current production pieces in massive quantities at extremely reduced prices. It's like PAB on steroids. I use this if I want a few thousand of something and am willing to wait, or to plan really large MOCs like the 64 stud-wide dark green warehouse I have backburnered right now.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

Carbohydrates posted:

Pick A Brick is situational for me because they have minimums for both Best Seller and Standard parts, so if I'm doing an order that calls for both, I'll need it to A) be a pretty decent size order to hit the minimums and skip the fees, and B) not use out-of-date pieces that I can't get through PAB. As a result, I rarely use it.

On the other hand, one big appeal of PAB is that you can stock up on parts that are limited in quantity in official sets. Those koi fish tiles from 2021 that I mentioned were on PAB, so if you decided you wanted 100 of them for some reason, it's a far better resource than trying to buy from BrickLink. If you desire larger quantities of current production pieces in new condition, go for it.

The vast, vast bulk of my LEGO ordering is through BrickLink. Yes, it's rare that one seller has all the parts you need, but I can usually get a MOC ordered from 2 or 3, which isn't so bad, and the parts are arriving at my door in less than a week (from North American sellers) as opposed to, like, a month down the line or however long PAB Standard orders take right now. Prices per element are usually better and, of course, you can buy non-current-production parts on BL that aren't available on PAB. If I'm ordering parts for a specific MOC, I am using BL 99% of the time.

If you're a big loving nerd and you join an RLUG, you can also use LUGBulk once per year to order current production pieces in massive quantities at extremely reduced prices. It's like PAB on steroids. I use this if I want a few thousand of something and am willing to wait, or to plan really large MOCs like the 64 stud-wide dark green warehouse I have backburnered right now.

thanks. im actually too stupid to build anything i just copy other people :D

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks for this Carb, I have had your tiny house + truck MOC bookmarked for a while and I was trying to figure out how best to get it

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Think I saw a lot of people making GBS threads on the batcave shadow box but I got it for an early Father’s Day gift and cracked it open. It’s been a pretty fun build so far and I do love the idea of folding it up to display easier as I’m running out of room. It’s still fair big. Opened up it doesn’t fit in my coffee table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm 18 bags into Markets and have to say, this needed another once over by QA. The manual is bad in terms of colors. It's got bad color representation for some of the colors. That's fairly normal but this seems kinda bad when lt/dk grey are a bit hard to distinguish sometimes. But the build itself has some easily correctable flaws with loose tiles on the sides of buildings. Attached by one stud, rather than two.

It's a cool build but needed more work.