Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bilirubin posted:

New Saunder's alt just dropped

We are all Graydon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City (Siege #1) by KJ Parker - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5M7DB/

I Sing the Body Electric: And Other Stories by Ray Bradbury - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CKOQCAQ/

Did Ray Bradbury have good short story chops? I only know it's a cool title.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not familiar with this particular collection but Bradbury definitely had the chops.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

pradmer posted:

I think so! His "The Illustrated Man" collection has been a favorite of mine (maybe partly for nostalgia reasons), but I definitely need to re-read it since it's been a while. I do still have pretty vivid impressions of a handful of the stories from it stuck in my head, like The Veldt and The Fire Balloons.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

pradmer posted:

I looked up this collection on wikipedia and I'm sold on at least one of the stories

Tomorrow's Child posted:

Peter and Polly are excited about the birth of their first child, but the doctor has unfortunate news. Because of a series of malfunctions in the new birthing machines, their newborn child has been born into another dimension. While ultimately healthy, the baby's appearance is that of a small blue pyramid with tentacle-like appendages.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

pradmer posted:

Bradbury was arguably at his best in short fiction, and that’s saying something. His short stories are killer, go feast upon them!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Bradbury is so good that I thought you were pulling our collective leg.

I guess I’m old and out of touch. There’s a massive Michael Moorcock reference/homage in Jedi Survivor that is almost plagiarism and I can’t believe most younger sci-fi and fantasy fans don’t immediately recognize it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

*Gets to chapter 2 of Acts of Caine*

Oh I see it has a double meaning

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Crashbee posted:

I looked up this collection on wikipedia and I'm sold on at least one of the stories

I remember that one!!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pradmer posted:

About 15 years ago there were two collections of Bradbury short fiction, each with 100 pieces. They still hadn't run out of good stuff.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

navyjack posted:

I remember that one!!!!

That's one of the earliest stories I even remember reading.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marsupial Ape posted:

I guess I’m old and out of touch. There’s a massive Michael Moorcock reference/homage in Jedi Survivor that is almost plagiarism and I can’t believe most younger sci-fi and fantasy fans don’t immediately recognize it.

What's that?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bradbury has a warmth and fundamental affection for people even in his darkest writing. Like LeGuin or Pratchett or even Dickens. Not saying anything about them as people. Just that their work makes you feel a bit less poo poo when you read it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

sebmojo posted:

What's that?

Spoiler tagged for those who haven’t played.

Tanelorn Pretty one the nose, to be honest.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

By the time I got into sci the old guard of Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc. was mostly past. I haven't really gone back and examined their work beyond the most famous ones. But I'll look out for more Bradbury in the future!

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

pradmer posted:

I dunno, 386 pages seems a bit short for full novel price.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ninurta posted:

I dunno, 386 pages seems a bit short for full novel price.

lol, amazing callback :discourse:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

pradmer posted:

By the time I got into sci the old guard of Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, etc. was mostly past. I haven't really gone back and examined their work beyond the most famous ones. But I'll look out for more Bradbury in the future!

No worries. I’m just lamenting my own accelerating mortality.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MockingQuantum posted:

lol, amazing callback :discourse:

I'm missing the joke, but Parker is a great writer, one of my contemporary faves, and 16 Ways was a fun read for me as an ex-Classicist.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

I'm missing the joke, but Parker is a great writer, one of my contemporary faves, and 16 Ways was a fun read for me as an ex-Classicist.

IIRC during a previous time 16 Ways went on sale there was some amusing miscommunication in the thread about whether it was a good deal because the regular price was a lot to pay for a "400 page novella", which was the thread title for a while...

In short, I think you had to be there for the joke to make any sense at all, and Ninurta's a good sport who got me to laugh irl at the callback.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

don’t forget, it’s a sumo culture. We pay by the pound, here

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So I’m just getting to the finish of Dune, and I have to say part 3 is landing much different than the first two thirds. I’m not sure if it’s the time jump or the sharp increase in veiled meanings and magical two-year-olds, but I miss the more rigid political intrigue from the beginning. Is Dune Messiah more of what’s in the third section? Should I continue? I’m still enjoying it, just a bit less.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Marsupial Ape posted:

I'm unsurprised. In Red Harvest Liam Neeson's "particular set of skills" speech from Taken is stolen by one of the Jedi.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is Dune Messiah more of what’s in the third section? Should I continue? I’m still enjoying it, just a bit less.

The rule for reading Dune is to just stop at whatever place you are no longer feeling it because at no point does it get better as you go in.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Imo dune messiah is a must, I know that’s the general rule and I think it applies post messiah but messiah completely reframes the first book in a necessary way

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
if you come out of dune with no desire to read more I don't know that messiah helps, fwiw

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

neongrey posted:

if you come out of dune with no desire to read more I don't know that messiah helps, fwiw

Lol, fair. It’s a lot shorter, though! And maybe if your problem with dune is how the plot resolves?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Dune series gets progressively more and more itself

Stop when you've had enough, it will never turn back into the thing it has unbecome before.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
So that was definitely an ending. I’m a bit WTF as it happened really quick! I’ll probably read Messiah, but maybe not too much after that

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So I’m just getting to the finish of Dune, and I have to say part 3 is landing much different than the first two thirds. I’m not sure if it’s the time jump or the sharp increase in veiled meanings and magical two-year-olds, but I miss the more rigid political intrigue from the beginning. Is Dune Messiah more of what’s in the third section? Should I continue? I’m still enjoying it, just a bit less.

it's sort of both, iirc? It's basically the sociopolitical (and religious) fallout of everything that happens in Dune, I'd agree with buffalo all day that it's sort of necessary, it's basically Part 4 of Dune in some ways, and is more directly connected to the first book than basically anything that follows after.

I will say though, if you do want to read it, I'd recommend doing it fairly soon after finishing Dune for exactly that reason

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RDM posted:

Broken Earth trilogy

Went with this, seems interesting so far but also seems LITERARY. I'm currently in the second person perspective. I'm imagining I'm Siri Keeton.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

zoux posted:

Went with this, seems interesting so far but also seems LITERARY. I'm currently in the second person perspective. I'm imagining I'm Siri Keeton.

I don't think it's really a spoiler but the second person parts, especially in the second and third book (iirc) are explicitly another character that the main character knows doing the talking. If that helps to ground it a bit.

e: oops discord spoiler tags don't work here

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

There's one Bradbury short story that always sticks out in my mind, probably just because it was so unexpected. An elderly man wakes up one morning with the first boner he's seen in years. He invites over a few of his old exes so they can all marvel at it.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Love a good 2nd person perspective book. I think Charles Stross had a near-future series written like this.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Halting state. Never read the sequel. Has stross been up to much besides the laundry books of late? I fell off those at some point. I like Stross but he mostly has good ideas that don't quite pan out or he gets lost in details I don't care about much.

For another 2nd person, try Raven Tower.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
You are reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If On A Winter's Night A Traveller...

(best 2nd person use ever)

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B7V6CQ8/

Paradise-1 by David Wellington - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8YXY5ZX/
Same author who wrote The Last Astronaut, but I don't believe anyone's posted impressions on it yet.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

pradmer posted:

Paradise-1 by David Wellington - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8YXY5ZX/
Same author who wrote The Last Astronaut, but I don't believe anyone's posted impressions on it yet.

I know I read The Last Astronaut but I could not tell you a thing about it for the life of me. Not sure if that's a comment on the quality of the book or my memory, though I do remember feeling kind of underwhelmed by the book as a whole.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

pradmer posted:

Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B7V6CQ8/

This one is great treatment of AI and class, folks, and an easy read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The last astronaut was pretty good but mainly the reason I say that is it had an actual ending. That dude writes like the story climax happens and then the protag just wanders off and then THE END. There was actually a well thought out "oh poo poo that's kinda cool" ending to it.

I didn't agree with how the plot was handled but if I'm thinking it's the right book it's a pretty good "visit spaceship and poo poo goes incredibly wrong" kinda book.

I started the latest but haven't gotten far into it, but that's not the book's fault, I've just been crazy busy with weird poo poo.