Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

:911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i can feel the patriotic pride welling up inside me

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

wait no thats swelling caused by a preventable disease that my insurance didnt cover

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
gout, usually

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

rotor posted:

rotor posted:

wait no thats swelling caused by a preventable disease that my insurance didnt cover

i think these are the same thing

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

lol

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ADINSX posted:

We’re effectively paying less than 1% since most of our money is in an account without fees but message received, I’ll look into this more but having a person for us to talk to is important, if vanguard offers that then maybe after we buy that home in 2024 we can look into it

open a vanguard account
dump your money into a target retirement date fund
done

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PIZZA.BAT posted:

open a vanguard account
dump your money into a target retirement date fund
done

i think you forgot to tell us where you're getting your leverage

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

rotor posted:

fondly remembering its highest form, descent

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

haveblue posted:

fondly remembering its highest form, descent

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
my severance agreement is off bc they calculated my base rate of last year and not my raise and rate I had been getting since this first quarter.

emailed them to fix then will have a fresh slate.

they put out a press release how it’s so great they laid people off and will be successful cause they laid people off lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and in three years, just like three years ago from today, they'll issue PRs about how their hiring and staffing growth is at record levels, and they'll be again rewarded

its so loving stupid

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Jonny 290 posted:

and in three years, just like three years ago from today, they'll issue PRs about how their hiring and staffing growth is at record levels, and they'll be again rewarded

its so loving stupid

i still have a small pre-IPO tranche of options and I’m debating selling them at the end of the year. it’s only 3% of my portfolio so maybe i’ll let it ride

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I also have thousands worth $0

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at that lovely k8s startup i was at last year, they discontinued matching our 401k a few months in and replaced it with an 'equivalent grant' of options

and i was like i cant even wipe my rear end clean with that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

lol at that lovely k8s startup i was at last year, they discontinued matching our 401k a few months in and replaced it with an 'equivalent grant' of options

and i was like i cant even wipe my rear end clean with that

bro lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have 325 pre ipo shares of altavista, once those are in the money I’m set

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

post hole digger posted:

i graduated college in 2009 and also have the financial mindset of a beaten dog.

yeah same and it hasn't served me well unfortunately

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

I have 325 pre ipo shares of altavista, once those are in the money I’m set

why havent you just retired early?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

this

uber posted:

"We know where you are, we know where you are going to, we know what you have eaten."

sounds like something out of a terrible Liam neeson film

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"Taken to Lunch starring Liam neeson"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

he has a very special set of skillets and he's gonna be in your kitchen before you know it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

note that I have seen any of those films but I assume it's actually just one film and they just recut it into a different order every time

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

*runs up and checks the mic, turns it on for u*

[distant, not fully in shot of the mic] there you go chief, sorry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

https://on.ft.com/3Jht16Q

A new threat to financial stability lurks in the cloud

Regulators are getting nervous about the risks emanating from data storage and processing platforms dominated by a handful of big companies

Three weeks ago, the US Treasury announced the launch of a new oversight committee called the “Cloud Executive Steering Group.”

It received almost no public attention. No wonder: compared to the explosive controversies around cryptocurrencies, ChatGPT or Europe’s new drive to break up Google’s dominance of adtech, cloud computing — the public and private data storage and processing platforms run by Big Tech vendors — sounds achingly dull. So much so, that most Americans view Amazon as “just” an online retail giant, even though its cloud division now generates significant revenues.

But investors and financial services consumers alike should wake up. For as a report from the Treasury’s little-known Financial and Banking Information Infrastructure Committee declared earlier this year, regulators are getting nervous about the systemic financial risks emanating from the cloud. Indeed, the Bank for International Settlements suggested last year — echoing work by European central banks — that “big tech interdependencies” have become “a key policy blind spot”.

Thus the crucial question for the Treasury’s cloud committee — which includes both regulators and bankers such as Bill Demchak of PNC — is whether this “blind spot” can be corrected before a not-so-boring accident erupts.

There are at least three big issues to consider. The first is the speed of change in computing practices. The FBIIC report notes that more than 90 per cent of the members of the American Bankers Association are shifting activity on to the cloud, although more than 80 per cent say this is at an early stage. Since a separate survey suggests that two-thirds of banks expect at least 30 per cent of their activities to be cloud-based in the next three years, the FBIIC calculates that cloud usage will triple by then. The pattern in Europe seems similar.

Second, financial regulators are ill-equipped to handle this explosive growth. They have always struggled to track information technology, since they have historically hired economists, not techies. But when finance companies were running their own IT operations, regulators did at least have a mandate to watch them.

However, the dash into the cloud places more of that activity in the hands of Big Tech vendors who have never faced serious central bank scrutiny before. Some observers, such as Agustín Carstens, head of the BIS, think that an overhaul is overdue, in order to extend the “regulatory perimeter”. Maybe so.

But America’s tech giants will fiercely resist efforts to put them under the purview of central banks or other financial regulators — and the White House currently shows little stomach for that battle. That leaves the cloud in a financial regulatory grey zone. “Due to the different legal authorities for each agency, no single agency can see across the many use cases and the network of dependencies on cloud services within the financial sector”, the FBIIC report observed. In plain English: this is a fog.

Third, insofar as data is available, it seems that there are big, and growing, concentration risks. This might sound surprising. After all, one reason for financial groups to dash into the cloud is to reduce their reliance on costly, and potentially vulnerable, in-house data centres. A distributed model is supposed to be more resilient.

But one bitter irony of finance is that innovations which purport to reduce risk by distributing it can sometimes also concentrate it in new, surprising and half-hidden ways. Consider credit. Before 2008, it was assumed that innovations such as securitised mortgage products would promote resilience by spreading default risk beyond banks.

But when the 2008 crisis hit, it emerged that numerous players had quietly hedged their activities with the same entity — AIG Financial Products. That created a hidden “single point of failure”, to use an engineering term, and generated shocks when AIGFP wobbled.

Cloud computing echoes this so-called Spof issue, as Michael Hsu, acting Comptroller of the Currency, told the BIS earlier this year. Most notably — and as Brussels often complains — the cloud is dominated by an oligopoly of Amazon, Microsoft and Google. If one of those players suffered a big cyber attack, weather-linked disruption or simply went bankrupt, that would rock the system.

Big Tech executives insist this will not occur. You would hope so. And these huge companies are almost certainly better at handling cyber risks than banks’ in-house teams. But the 2020 SolarWinds hack on Microsoft’s cloud systems showed that nobody is infallible. So did the recent Ion saga and Capita data breach.

And even without cyber risks, the commercial power wielded by this oligopoly is unnerving, particularly for Europeans. Indeed, Britain’s Ofcom has launched an investigation.

So all eyes are now on the Treasury’s Cloud Committee. Sadly there are no easy solutions; or not unless the US government does something it seems unwilling or unable to contemplate — namely, break up Big Tech and/or impose tight government controls. But if nothing else, the issue shows that AI is not the only tech topic that matters now. Maybe that Cloud Committee should ask ChatGPT how to defuse the Spof threat. The answer would probably be easier for Big Tech to swallow than asking Brussels.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

when marklogic was bought out by private capital in a fire sale they were at least kind enough to write us all a check as they invalidated our shares. it came out to something like a buck a share but hey- better than nothing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

here’s a dollar kid, buy yourself a better equity

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/reddit-protest-blackout-ceo-steve-huffman-moderators-rcna89544

quote:

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman said Thursday that he wants to bring an end to a user-led protest that has made large parts of the influential website inaccessible this week. Huffman said in an interview that he plans to institute rules changes that would allow Reddit users to vote out moderators who have overseen the protest, comparing them to a “landed gentry.”

mystes
May 31, 2006

kicking out the moderators who are protesting or preventing them from making the subreddits private would be lovely

allowing users to just randomly oust mods for any reason is just loving insane and completely contrary to how reddit works. It will cause every subreddit to be immediately destroyed by people who hate it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
will we be able to vote out the mods Reddit assigned to forcibly reopen the subs and black them out again

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
at least this is a far more exciting and entertaining way of destroying reddit than a gradual decline into irrelevance

mystes
May 31, 2006

like I assume he has never actually used reddit himself because it just makes so little sense

on reddit there's no way to distinguish actual users of a subreddit in the first place so even if you theoretically wanted to have some process for the active users of a subreddit to vote to oust a mod there's no way to even determine who they are

I don't see any way this wouldn't result in e.g. bigots taking over all the lgbt subs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vote out the ceo imo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not like anyone will learn anything from several major platforms burning themselves down in the span of a few years over ill conceived monetization schemes, but it's nice to have the examples to point to

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm just pissed because I read a bunch of extremely niche subreddits and if reddit dies I don't think there's going to be any actual replacement because nobody wants to run a forum in 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

I don't see any way this wouldn't result in e.g. bigots taking over all the lgbt subs

it's almost as if reactionary flailing really only has negative consequences.

still, no matter. if they implement all the terrible ideas now, there will be nothing but good ideas left to implement later

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mystes posted:

I'm just pissed because I read a bunch of extremely niche subreddits and if reddit dies I don't think there's going to be any actual replacement because nobody wants to run a forum in 2023

the replacement will be a discord or slack or whatever and you'll need to already know about it and get an invite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

medicare is not medicaid.