Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

https://twitter.com/trdl_/status/1669298909523644417

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Oda's eye surgery. They were the opthalmologist this entire time.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Wait I thought there was a month break

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
they do other scanlations for jump

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Honestly not completely ridiculous given that John was a Rocks pirate and we've still had no payoff for the armband Luffy gave Buggy at Impel Down

I thought he used Captain John's treasure to start up his merc business

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

RC Cola posted:

Wait I thought there was a month break

They do JJK too

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I just read some lovely google translate version of the chapter. Wild poo poo.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Star Platinum posted:

I thought he used Captain John's treasure to start up his merc business

Yeah I kinda assumed this was the implication too.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Guest writer during his hiatus is J.K.Rowling

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Upsidads posted:

Guest writer during his hiatus is J.K.Rowling

Before Roger's time, pirates simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and haki'd away the evidence.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No shiddin fruit

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the ruler of Not-Mexico is King Tacos and the ruler of Not-America is Ham Burger..... . . . . ...huh?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1669473425994272768?s=20

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
those jorts... they look really bad

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What kind of weaksauce wannabe pirate needs a strap for their hat

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Huh, I always thought the white parts of Luffy’s shorts were where he rolled them up, not tears.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Drakkel posted:

What kind of weaksauce wannabe pirate needs a strap for their hat

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 16, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Monkey D. Luffy says Cutoffs are radical

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I dont understand how the jorts continue beyond the tear-offs at the bottom

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Huh, I always thought the white parts of Luffy’s shorts were where he rolled them up, not tears.

The white bits seem to be thicker and lumpy like fur, so I had thought that the shorts had fur cuffs on the end.

The anime seems to have gone with that interpretation too, especially with the Impel Down outfit.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 16, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Trailer or first clips tomorrow
https://twitter.com/onepiecenetflix/status/1669388313461915662?s=20

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still going to be absolutely godawful, but i think luffy was cast well at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Maybe it’ll be better than Netflix Cowboy Bebop at least (though that’s not a high bar to clear)

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Gomu Gomu no Ouch, motherfucker

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
It's going to be great.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oda-sensai

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's still going to be absolutely godawful, but i think luffy was cast well at least.

look if nothing else we've got the right energy for luffy and we've got deke as buggy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I think there's a non-0 chance the One Piece and Avatar Last Airbender live action shows end Netflix.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jump Ultimate Stars but it's all the major Netflix live-action series and adaptations, in the "photo-realistic" style of the early Mortal Kombat games

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

MorningMoon posted:

I think there's a non-0 chance the One Piece and Avatar Last Airbender live action shows end Netflix.

inshallah

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Jump Ultimate Stars but it's all the major Netflix live-action series and adaptations, in the "photo-realistic" style of the early Mortal Kombat games

Jump Force

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Nah dawg, if you wanna spike the volley with this dig you use MK4 graphics as the template :gibs:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nephthys posted:

Luffy being a marine could only ever really last until he meets a Celestial Dragon. I honestly don't know how Garp has lasted as long as he has. I have to assume Sengoku just keeps him as far away from them as possible at all times. Or that Garp is a much shittier person than the story presents him as.

i think the story is pretty consistent with it's portrayal of Garp. he's a good guy in that his intentions are almost universally good, but he is a little bit of a coward in the face of the institutional evils he upholds. we learn a lot about garp during the marineford war - his personal morality is not strong enough for him to defy the status quo. he is instead half-in, half-out, defying orders when he can get away with it but executing them in other circumstances.

luffy represents a more actualized form of garp himself. if luffy thinks something is wrong he just won't do it, and he'd fight against the person who wants to do it. it's all pretty consistent with the "new generation surpassing the old" theme of the story. we're meant to like garp but see that he has failings that luffy's example can help rectify. i imagine in this last leg of the story we will pretty explicitly have a moment/mini-arc about this, where garp takes inspiration from luffy and changes his behavior accordingly

(fwiw this is also a theme outside of just those two. remember in the end of wano, when they thought luffy was dead, momo wanted to capitulate to kaido in an effort to save the lives of the samurai. he's mirroring garp's morality here. yamato, mirroring luffy, screams at him that it's way better to die standing up than to live under kaido's boot, and the story wants the reader to believe this is indeed the correct and good decision.)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
do any of you think the gorosei referring to imu as the "creator of the world" is more than just linguistic flourish or a reference to their role in the ascendancy at the time of the war?

i sorta have a feeling that they have some literal responsibility in term of creating the actual world that the story takes place in

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think it would kind of undermine the fundamental illegitimacy of Imu's control if they literally created the world. I think "creator of the world" is probably being used to denote that they are the one responsible for putting into place the current societal order.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Arist posted:

I think it would kind of undermine the fundamental illegitimacy of Imu's control if they literally created the world. I think "creator of the world" is probably being used to denote that they are the one responsible for putting into place the current societal order.

That fits "creator". Especially if the creation of the red line/mariejois and dividing the world up into the four blues was also his doing. With whatever else that went down 800 years ago.

So I think your definition works.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 17, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

tbp posted:

do any of you think the gorosei referring to imu as the "creator of the world" is more than just linguistic flourish or a reference to their role in the ascendancy at the time of the war?

i sorta have a feeling that they have some literal responsibility in term of creating the actual world that the story takes place in

they're the narrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

imu is oda. the rings around his pupils will disappear next month.