Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mystes posted:

I'm just pissed because I read a bunch of extremely niche subreddits and if reddit dies I don't think there's going to be any actual replacement because nobody wants to run a forum in 2023

your posting about this in a forum run in 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

fart simpson posted:

your posting about this in a forum run in 2023

This forum is running in 2023, but can we honestly say that the people that are running it want to be running it?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Jeffery seems to sleep soundly at night, during the day, other not covered times

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fart simpson posted:

here’s a dollar kid, buy yourself a better equity

there were a couple of greybeards there who were forced to exercise their options when they hit the ten year mark. it wasn't pretty

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i honestly don't know how anyone finds discords for anything except via links in a niche ghost-town reddit dedicated to a topic

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's theoretically a centralized list of public discords but I think most servers don't use it because being listed results in a ton more spam/trolls than using invite links

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Janitor posted:

i honestly don't know how anyone finds discords for anything except via links in a niche ghost-town reddit dedicated to a topic

then you ask people on that one for other discords

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It's like doing an old school p2p protocol by hand

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

discord is interesting in that, as angry as saying it will make people, basically irc for 2023 in function. and that was with an intervening almost two decades where a normal person would not have used such a thing.

so maybe forums can be revived as well, there's certainly a similar tech gap, all avaliable forum software is janky as hell.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

mystes posted:

It's like doing an old school p2p protocol by hand

webrings, but the site just says "email this guy for a link to the next site in the ring"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah but being socially anxious i never do that so discord is just a black hole to me.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mystes posted:

kicking out the moderators who are protesting or preventing them from making the subreddits private would be lovely

allowing users to just randomly oust mods for any reason is just loving insane and completely contrary to how reddit works. It will cause every subreddit to be immediately destroyed by people who hate it.

sounds cool

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

mystes posted:

allowing users to just randomly oust mods for any reason is just loving insane

works for SA

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

goblin week posted:

works for SA

SA is pretty insane, to be fair

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Eeyo posted:

yeah but being socially anxious i never do that so discord is just a black hole to me.

what i hate more than anything about discord is that it makes it impossible to passively obtain information; you have to leave a paper trail just to read the equivalent of a wiki for some tool or game that decided to put everything on discord

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

goblin week posted:

works for SA

what’s the “days since mod ouster for being a pedo” counter at?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

on reddit there's no way to distinguish actual users of a subreddit in the first place so even if you theoretically wanted to have some process for the active users of a subreddit to vote to oust a mod there's no way to even determine who they are

nah, you can make a pretty simple standard like "have made X posts in the sub that are older than Y interval at the time of the vote". this will cut out all the lurkers and allow all the people who used to be active but burned out but it's probably a pretty good proxy for "directly contributes to the sub's value as a community and knowledge node"

of course reddit isn't actually going to put even the five seconds of thought I did into it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

it's probably a pretty good proxy for "directly contributes to the sub's value as a community and knowledge node"

nice, you've done it, you found the technical solution to this social problem

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

imo the posters should own the means of posting.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
for me the problem with new discords that i join is that there will be some kind of activity going on in the main channel, and they'll welcome you, and you'll talk a bit, but then you quickly have nothing to say anymore. and then the discord just sits there in that huge column of discords you have access to

idk maybe i should just be more active in some of them, but others i joined just for one link or bit of information, and i don't want to leave, because i'd have to be invited again if i needed that thing again

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mr. Nice! posted:

medicare is not medicaid.

she's talking about future medicare which she will probably not get

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

nah, you can make a pretty simple standard like "have made X posts in the sub that are older than Y interval at the time of the vote". this will cut out all the lurkers and allow all the people who used to be active but burned out but it's probably a pretty good proxy for "directly contributes to the sub's value as a community and knowledge node"

of course reddit isn't actually going to put even the five seconds of thought I did into it
This would work as a one time thing. It won't work if users can oust mods whenever they want because once the requirements for voting are known there will be a huge incentive to create lots of sockpuppet accounts to make innocuous posts on subs and then vote

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MrMoo posted:

https://tickrmeter.com/

A different team came out with an e-ink plus light. Similar crazy pricing, and similar low build quality.

Something like this all comes to the software, and as these are hardware companies, they don't really care about the software and so all will eventually fade away.

These are rad, I kind of want to use them but feed my own data and indicators in.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i assume we'd be modded by echi at any rate

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EricBauman posted:

for me the problem with new discords that i join is that there will be some kind of activity going on in the main channel, and they'll welcome you, and you'll talk a bit, but then you quickly have nothing to say anymore. and then the discord just sits there in that huge column of discords you have access to

idk maybe i should just be more active in some of them, but others i joined just for one link or bit of information, and i don't want to leave, because i'd have to be invited again if i needed that thing again

that’s how forums and such work too though

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

maybe discord should just let you "archive" servers or something. so you're still joined it just doesn't show up in the list of servers.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i don't know that discord should *really* cater to the "the faq is on discord" use case. in that it is bad. and discord is all around pretty good.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

e: oops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
modifying a functional tool to suit people who are using it improperly is a great way to make a lovely tool that doesn't work for anyone.

that said, i've never used discord, so i have no idea if this applies

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Internet Janitor posted:

people.

websites come and go. apps come and go. social media services come and go. but for as long as you are alive, there will always be people. (unless something has gone irreversibly wrong.) talk to them, ask them for directions, and they’ll help out

people are at the core of it all, so delve down to the source and hold onto it. get names, emails, phone numbers, contact info, etc. we think too much of accounts and timelines and forget their precursors.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, active discords is a really social phenomena, hard to find by like searching the web randomly, but accumulate quick if you're already talking to the right people.

one small joy for me is that there's a good reasonably active apl/k/j/q/bqn array programming discord, which is a subject obscure enough that the subreddit is basically tumbleweeds

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Yep I think I've mentioned it before in this thread, but if the internet does get overrun by LLM detritus and ads to the point where its one function is gone, any "information exchange" is going to have to happen in private internets and right now that seems to be Discords, and the renaissance of non-searchable, non-indexed info, aka, talking to people, word of mouth spread, and invite-only communities. It requires a fundamental shift from the expectations we have today of easy and instant access to answers, back to recognizing people as the source.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and to be clear, for not at all elitist reasons: that's good.

e: armitag3 got in between with a better post to the same effect

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Armitag3 posted:

Yep I think I've mentioned it before in this thread, but if the internet does get overrun by LLM detritus and ads to the point where its one function is gone, any "information exchange" is going to have to happen in private internets

mike pondsmith was prescient

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

infernal machines posted:

mike pondsmith was prescient

Well Discord still uses THE internet to function, but yeah, don't actually try to use it directly or you'll be torn to shreds by the light-speed spam barrage of bots trying to scam other bots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in traditional fashion the future is much less exciting and far more banal than the fiction of it

we killed the internet with adtech not R.A.B.I.D.S. and it's just kinda mildly annoying and useless rather than actually lethal, but the idea's the same

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

infernal machines posted:

modifying a functional tool to suit people who are using it improperly is a great way to make a lovely tool that doesn't work for anyone.

that said, i've never used discord, so i have no idea if this applies

discord has forums built in now so yes it applies

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

there’s a reason it’s called speculative fiction

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fiction has to make sense, reality does not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think some of the subreddits I'm on, like a local biking one which has maybe one post or day or less depending on the season, don't have enough users to actually support a discord even

the best thing about reddit was how frictionless it made creating subreddits for stuff like that, but of course that came in exchange for not having any control over it