Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've watched all of it and this last set of episodes have honestly been like, really good? The enemies have been interesting the reveals in episode 10 were cool in that context.

I could never justify recommending it to anyone, there's too much poo poo that's too weird (bad) early and not enough poo poo that's weird (good) but I haven't hated my time with it and gradually that ratio has started to skew towards weird (good) a lot more.

Also I'm in love with Anarchy's design because of course I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've watched episode 11 now.

I can see what this show is going for, finally. I'll need to see 12 but at the moment I think it actually ended up in a good place.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Why is this the second show about how a team of nerd girls has to be led by a nerd to topple the fascist normocracy in a dark future where anime and figures are illegal, though?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Your usual nerd persecution complex

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad the nerds are fighting against facism

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the mc wasnt a nerd in the other one, that friction was what made it work

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Birdie Wing upped it's cliffhanger game this week!

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

(Wait, what was the other one? Akibas Trip?)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

rumble garanndoll

i haven't seen the akibas trip anime but it's actually the same director as magical destroyers so it might be even more similar for all i know

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Rumble Garanndoll

They are just superficially similar in a couple funny ways like the female leads sharing a VA. Very different energies and focus to how they address the otakudom stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the akiba's trip anime was awful so this has definitely done less to convince me

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

haypliss posted:

Rumble Garanndoll

They are just superficially similar in a couple funny ways like the female leads sharing a VA. Very different energies and focus to how they address the otakudom stuff.

I haven't seen Magical Destroyers, but one thing that stuck with me about Rumble Garanndoll is that it spent pretty much its entire run skewering Otaku culture in general and the geek resistance good guys in particular and only at the end after going through all that with all of its characters and being really drat skeptical of all of them does it actually reveal how and why it's actually in favor of them. It's way less pro-geek than the initial pitch makes it sound and its actually for the better for it because it's really in favor of something else.

That's prolly apropos of nothing, but Garanndoll was my favorite mecha anime from 2021 and I do like the chance to bring it up.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
From watching both I feel like the big contrast is Garanndoll had a core cast with specific reasons why they were tied into otakudom that the show teased out as it went, which is what gave that bit of human angle to balance the ridiculousness and naked consumerism of the hobbies as shown. The Destroyers characters are (intentionally) rough sketches of otaku ideas and fixations, which it still has an episode to cohere into its larger point. I'm letting my skepticism win a bit here.

The general inconsistency of Destroyers hasn't helped it and my personal preference is biased towards the style of Garanndoll's storytelling. Even accounting for the fact that Garanndoll ended without fully satisfying me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

bloody hell that last scene of tengoku daimakyou was heavy.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Anybody else think Ranking of Kings season 2 has been really bad? Visually it's been quite cute, but good lord the content. Nothing there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thats because its an adaptation of random bonus material from the manga, not actually a season 2 of the main story

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marumaru posted:

Care to spoil it for me? I'm so checked out of that series, i don't care enough to watch the missing episodes.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

SlowBloke posted:

Care to spoil it for me? I'm so checked out of that series, i don't care enough to watch the missing episodes.

MC finally finds the guy who they were looking for for the whole series and then said guy rapes them while forcing them to look in a mirror so they see their body (which is the MC's sister's) being violated.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

marumaru posted:

MC finally finds the guy who they were looking for for the whole series and then said guy rapes them while forcing them to look in a mirror so they see their body (which is the MC's sister's) being violated.

That surely is a thing worthy of Disney+. First summertime rendering and now this, they are getting their money worth for shock value.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

marumaru posted:

I've nothing to add to this other than the manga chapter where this originally happened dropped on Christmas 2020 and it was quite the interesting surprise to read it on that date

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

marumaru posted:

the way the episode builds tension in the transitions between the shocking disaster stuff at the academy and the melancholy 'maybe this is the end of our journey' scenes with kiruko and maru, and how it completely subverts the 2 storyline expectations with mimihime + the other kids discovering a beautiful blue sky and the horrific poo poo with robin, is just incredible. apologies to skip and loaf but heavenly delusion is easily my show of the season

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

the way the episode builds tension in the transitions between the shocking disaster stuff at the academy and the melancholy 'maybe this is the end of our journey' scenes with kiruko and maru, and how it completely subverts the 2 storyline expectations with mimihime + the other kids discovering a beautiful blue sky and the horrific poo poo with robin, is just incredible. apologies to skip and loaf but heavenly delusion is easily my show of the season

yeah, that was wonderfully executed. made that scene all the more impactful.
it's definitely my show of the season too. i think i've mentioned it here or in the chat thread before but i'm shocked that i almost missed out on this show. it's really good

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/bokuyaba_anime/status/1670113575330025472

Second season in January

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Sankara posted:

Anybody else think Ranking of Kings season 2 has been really bad? Visually it's been quite cute, but good lord the content. Nothing there.

I'd definitely cut a good amount from what was already only a 10-ep season, but by being sidestory material it avoided all the writing crimes of S1 and was easy to just enjoy without complication.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i tried the first episode of it but it still had writing crimes imo so i bailed

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

i tried the first episode of it but it still had writing crimes imo so i bailed

Gyakuza/Miranjo skewed things so badly I could give Despa's capitalist weirdness a temporary pass.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
if the sidestory stuff managed to be better than 6 straight episodes of every character in the show fighting and losing to a guy made out of goo i guess i'd give it a shot

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

in the ranking of bocchis he comes dead last

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agronox posted:

in the ranking of bocchis he comes dead last

At least Threepio knows how to communicate with him, it'd like a second language after all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Re: upcoming anime this year.

"My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer" is actually shaping up to look pretty nice. I'm surprised how good this looks considering the studio isn't known for this level of quality.

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1670060094254469128?s=20

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSQIsDK9X4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i guess they aren't using the original art style at all.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Nitrousoxide posted:

Re: upcoming anime this year.

"My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer" is actually shaping up to look pretty nice. I'm surprised how good this looks considering the studio isn't known for this level of quality.

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1670060094254469128?s=20

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSQIsDK9X4

I read the books and it's good. Dad and daughter are kinda dual protagonists and both are likeable.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
I hear Saori Hayami's voice. Instant picked up.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm aiming to get up the Summer Season thread next weekend. As usual, feel free to throw some thread title suggestions my way and one of them may get chosen. Here's the lineup for next season:

https://anichart.net/Summer-2023

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Julias posted:

I'm aiming to get up the Summer Season thread next weekend. As usual, feel free to throw some thread title suggestions my way and one of them may get chosen. Here's the lineup for next season:

this is just reminding me i'm two seasons behind Bungou Stray Dogs for no real reason

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Julias posted:

Summer 2023: Double GoHands shows, double WTF.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

symbolic posted:

this is just reminding me i'm two seasons behind Bungou Stray Dogs for no real reason

They ended the prior season in the middle of an arc, so not a bad time to have fallen off of being current.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i never finished the previous new season of Devil is a Part TImer

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the summer of gohands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant