Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

How many articles would an editor typically handle in a week? I assume like... 20?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

like amazon destroying trademarks by not giving a poo poo about counterfeiting and prioritizing XEOABN brands, i had a theory that goog was enshitting the web to drive traffic to yt because video ad margins are better and they have a market structure advantages there but then I remember all the product review youtubes that that are just computer voices reading product specs over photos from the manufacturer and realize it was just standard googley practice

in a well actually fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 17, 2023

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

mystes posted:

lol they're really deprecating cloud domains too?! someone on hn mentioned that it shared the backend with google domains or something so it was possible it would get shut down too but I thought there was no way they would do it since it would affect their ability to compete with aws/cloudflare

when did that story from before say they were planning to shut down gcp if it didn't become the second biggest cloud platform again?

2019. that deadline? 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

in a well actually posted:

like amazon destroying trademarks by not giving a poo poo about counterfeiting and prioritizing XEOABN brands,

i think that was so they could push amazon basics stuff, which probably seems the more reasonable choice given the competition is called PUUPEA or whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Beeftweeter posted:

i think that was so they could push amazon basics stuff, which probably seems the more reasonable choice given the competition is called PUUPEA or whatever

it's backfired afaict because amazonbasics was, for a while, Pretty Pretty Good Decent House Brand Stuff, but their qc has gone down the shitter with things that may catch fire like charging cables or batteries, so now AB has a really bad rep. I steer clear from any stuff under that brand that plugs in or lights up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

haveblue posted:

just make the AI do the proofreading, duh

never heard of this company but assuming they’re the reason you have to stick “site:Reddit.com” on any search even vaguely about video games now

i've had problems with search, but didnt realize how truley bad it was until i googled something about zelda and got a huge list of pages that were all exactly the same and were not at all what i searched for

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's all gotten so bad. the rise of ai generated seo spam poo poo has utterly ruined search because there are just so many of them and they all outrank anything useful. google is only reasonably useful at searching a site, now, because if you try and search the internet for something you'll likely just get garbage results

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Beeftweeter posted:

i have some PUUPEA toilet brushes and they're great

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I love my amazon basics dark grey plates

I also got their kitchen knife set and they're still sharp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
You can't tell me this is accidental.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Jonny 290 posted:

green grape ftw. suck it orangailures

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

tbh I've had pretty good luck with the JUSKGT products

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Jonny 290 posted:

it's backfired afaict because amazonbasics was, for a while, Pretty Pretty Good Decent House Brand Stuff, but their qc has gone down the shitter with things that may catch fire like charging cables or batteries, so now AB has a really bad rep. I steer clear from any stuff under that brand that plugs in or lights up

same. i bought a macbook charger for my 2012 book and it almost entirely melted when plugged in for about 20-30 minutes. it had all of the apple branding and everything. i don't recall if it was amazon basic or not, but it was absolutely an amazon recommended product with their seal of approval.

i did buy an ab knockoff aeron. the reviews basically said it was hit or miss whether you get a version that the hydraulics break after a month. so far it's a pretty dec chair.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Mr. Nice! posted:

i did buy an ab knockoff aeron. the reviews basically said it was hit or miss whether you get a version that the hydraulics break after a month.

I have yet to meet an office chair cylinder that doesn't slip under my considerable weight (I don't sit on chairs that cost more than my phone though)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Roosevelt posted:

i've had problems with search, but didnt realize how truley bad it was until i googled something about zelda and got a huge list of pages that were all exactly the same and were not at all what i searched for

lmao i found more useful totk info on youtube and i just felt ..... so tired. so so tired.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Nice! posted:

same. i bought a macbook charger for my 2012 book and it almost entirely melted when plugged in for about 20-30 minutes. it had all of the apple branding and everything. i don't recall if it was amazon basic or not, but it was absolutely an amazon recommended product with their seal of approval.

i did buy an ab knockoff aeron. the reviews basically said it was hit or miss whether you get a version that the hydraulics break after a month. so far it's a pretty dec chair.

these days I always try to go to a brand’s own online store, which is easy for something like apple and less so for others. amazon is a last resort for when I absolutely can’t find it anywhere else and/or need it asap

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
its really amazing how amazon is so successful given that both:

1) the experience of searching for something and buying it on their website it absolutely abysmal, and
2) there is no guarantee that the thing you get is legit, or even safe to use

plus the discount you used to be able to count on by buying from amazon has dwindled to almost nothing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
amazon manages to still be successful because you give them money and you get a product usually when they say it will arrive, which is soon, and you probably already have all your information set up with them so you can check out in two seconds.

buying poo poo from other stores requires making yet another new account, putting in yet another copy of your payment and shipping information, dealing with whatever extra bullshit their site does, and then dealing similarly with whatever shipping they use and however long it takes. goog / apple pay make this slightly easier but i have no poo poo run into a site where "thanks for ordering! to track your order download the shop app and scan this qr code" which, firstly, gently caress you, and second, no

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The 'make an account' thing is valid but also i think it's just kind of a counterpattern to how so many people buy poo poo these days, which is "type `a` in your address bar, hit enter, type a few letters till the thing you want autocompletes, buy the first thing that shows up". because brands don't mean anything except when they do. when i bought those few watches last month, i got several of them from the casio online store, which had better indication of availability (they were in frequent sellout status) and had some nice thingies for new product notification. Since i was reasonably certain that i would buy a casio watch again later, i signed up an account, and sure as poo poo their shipping was as fast as amazon, i didn't feel quite so dirty, and now i get notified of new drops. and they're not spamming me with stupid bullshit, its fine.

i realize we all know this i'm just talking it out

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

The 'make an account' thing is valid but also i think it's just kind of a counterpattern to how so many people buy poo poo these days, which is "type `a` in your address bar, hit enter, type a few letters till the thing you want autocompletes, buy the first thing that shows up". because brands don't mean anything except when they do. when i bought those few watches last month, i got several of them from the casio online store, which had better indication of availability (they were in frequent sellout status) and had some nice thingies for new product notification. Since i was reasonably certain that i would buy a casio watch again later, i signed up an account, and sure as poo poo their shipping was as fast as amazon, i didn't feel quite so dirty, and now i get notified of new drops. and they're not spamming me with stupid bullshit, its fine.

i realize we all know this i'm just talking it out
yeah this exactly how people don't want it to work when they're buying a $5 spatula or whatever

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jonny 290 posted:

Hmm.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

armpit_enjoyer posted:

https://twitter.com/shepardcdr/status/1668698516074405892

https://twitter.com/shepardcdr/status/1668698832773816320

https://twitter.com/shepardcdr/status/1668700280173613056

Never heard of this network before but as an actual content editor I'm absolutely looking forward to receiving job offers where i'm tasked with proofreading 200-250 articles per week

i don’t think that company has any need for any actual content editors because it looks like no human being is expected to read any of the generated articles at any point. the business appears to be using LLMs to trick search engines into yielding eyeballs which are then presumably sold for money.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol

so are they going to officially tell everyone to migrate to aws or will it just be implied

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i learned about the YOSPOSS dildo store from bingGPT lol

for once it wasn't lying

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
is this tech bauble? wiki nonsense? just pathetic? you decide

https://twitter.com/Humanstein/status/1670127065771696129

pretty funny anyway. more bubbly part:

https://twitter.com/Humanstein/status/1670129399801212928

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

is this tech bauble? wiki nonsense? just pathetic? you decide

https://twitter.com/Humanstein/status/1670127065771696129

pretty funny anyway. more bubbly part:

https://twitter.com/Humanstein/status/1670129399801212928

i've not read anything not in this post, but based on that, i think it is just pure "lol, owned"

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

lol

so are they going to officially tell everyone to migrate to aws or will it just be implied

since they’re not afraid to sell off poo poo now, I’m trying to guess what the funniest buyer would be

i think my answer is ibm or oracle, but broadcom or ca would be funny too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
gonna lol if a multibillion dollar company gets dinged for 3RR

e: oh, “the grimace wiki page” is already on fandom. nowhere near as funny

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

since they’re not afraid to sell off poo poo now, I’m trying to guess what the funniest buyer would be

i think my answer is ibm or oracle, but broadcom or ca would be funny too

late entry: walmart

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Not a Children posted:

How many articles would an editor typically handle in a week? I assume like... 20?

Depends on the type of editing you do. I haven't worked at a massive content farm before, so I don't know how high they fly over there; my most high-intensity job was at a press agency where they'd stick three of us in a room editing news dispatches; we'd each handle about ten to fifteen news stories per eight hour shift on average. If you work as a content editor for a corporation or a startup you'd probably do three pieces per week, and they're all blog posts which will only ever be read by the google crawlers anyway.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

I’m trying to guess what the funniest buyer would be

buying google cloud accelerates the development of X, the everything app, by 3-5 years

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Beeftweeter posted:

buying google cloud accelerates the development of X, the everything app, by 3-5 years

that would get him out of paying those invoices

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that would get him out of paying those invoices

tbh if gcp is genuinely going under that particular move makes way more sense, not that weird that the big customers would know, and it is not that out of order to go "well, we're not sending you any money until we've figured out if what you're doing is actually within our contract"

buuuuut, i think that is me trying to project rationality onto a situation that does not call for it. i don't think gcp disappearing is that likely even, i think google at some point has to get spooked about how vulnerable they are if ads is all they have even going on.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

McDon*ld's

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beeftweeter posted:

i learned about the YOSPOSS dildo store from bingGPT lol

for once it wasn't lying
the YOSPOSS dildo store called, said they were all out of YOU!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

my impression was that twitter was not a particularly big customer of gcp and that it was their trust and safety stuff from an acquisition

on the other hand who knows what counts as a big gcp customer anymore

maybe elon got a heads up on this from sergey’s wife during pillow talk

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
streaming bubble

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1670057569367334914

lol @ any notion that apple cares about "creatives"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
and yeah yeah big shock that one of the largest corporations on earth has capitalist execs. shut up, it still sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
guillotine