Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

tbp posted:

i think the story is pretty consistent with it's portrayal of Garp. he's a good guy in that his intentions are almost universally good, but he is a little bit of a coward in the face of the institutional evils he upholds. we learn a lot about garp during the marineford war - his personal morality is not strong enough for him to defy the status quo. he is instead half-in, half-out, defying orders when he can get away with it but executing them in other circumstances.

luffy represents a more actualized form of garp himself. if luffy thinks something is wrong he just won't do it, and he'd fight against the person who wants to do it. it's all pretty consistent with the "new generation surpassing the old" theme of the story. we're meant to like garp but see that he has failings that luffy's example can help rectify. i imagine in this last leg of the story we will pretty explicitly have a moment/mini-arc about this, where garp takes inspiration from luffy and changes his behavior accordingly

(fwiw this is also a theme outside of just those two. remember in the end of wano, when they thought luffy was dead, momo wanted to capitulate to kaido in an effort to save the lives of the samurai. he's mirroring garp's morality here. yamato, mirroring luffy, screams at him that it's way better to die standing up than to live under kaido's boot, and the story wants the reader to believe this is indeed the correct and good decision.)

Yeah, I can definitely see the intention behind Garps character and even if I judge him harshly for letting Ace die I can see why he would believe it's the right thing overall. But frankly, I have zero sympathy for anyone who knows what the Celestial Dragons are, could do something about it and chooses not to. If there's ever been a time where Garp stood by and let one of them enslave or torture someone without doing anything about it then gently caress him.

That's why Fujitora is so cool, dude straight-up tried to meteor strike them first chance he got and then let a bunch of slaves escape. All while maintaining his cover.

tbp posted:

do any of you think the gorosei referring to imu as the "creator of the world" is more than just linguistic flourish or a reference to their role in the ascendancy at the time of the war?

i sorta have a feeling that they have some literal responsibility in term of creating the actual world that the story takes place in

There's a theory about this, isn't there? That Imu or the World Government in general somehow literally created the grand line by pulling the mountains up that separates the oceans and that's why the worlds geography is so drat weird.

I can buy it, personally. It would explain why they'd be so worshipful of Imu if they literally shaped the world as we know it.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

tbp posted:

do any of you think the gorosei referring to imu as the "creator of the world" is more than just linguistic flourish or a reference to their role in the ascendancy at the time of the war?

i sorta have a feeling that they have some literal responsibility in term of creating the actual world that the story takes place in

I don't think they literally created the world, but they may be responsible for the shape of the current world. Both in political terms (setting up the celestial dragons and whatnot), and also creating the Red Line.

Hmm, I could see it being a thing where the Red Line was their creation, and the Grand Line was created by Nika/the forces opposed to the WG. It's both philosophically the opposite of the Red Line (ocean, where things are wild and out of control at all times, as opposed to land controlled directly by the WG), and also literally perpendicular to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That ties into the common theory that One Piece is the means by which the four seas were created and by using it, both Lines will be erased and the world will be in One Piece also something something All Blue

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The Netflix event with a potential OP trailer? is happening in 3 minutes:

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/global-event

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not ready.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I think with water everywhere, talks of arks and cleansing, Imu may have played a role in flooding the world or something cataclysmic 800 years ago.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

The Netflix event with a potential OP trailer? is happening in 3 minutes:

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/global-event

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm not ready.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

luchadornado posted:

I think with water everywhere, talks of arks and cleansing, Imu may have played a role in flooding the world or something cataclysmic 800 years ago.

pretty sure ive posted this before but yeah a global flood makes a lot of sense given:
- most of the enemies of the WG live in areas that can survive a massive flood. zou, wano, etc are all poised in such a way that a second flood would lead to their survival.
- mary geoise is at the very top of the world. if a flood hit everyone else, theyd survive.
- devil fruits are weak to water. the d clan is the enemy of god.
- it would be a weapon so cataclysmic that no one could fight against it
- the final arc needs a time bomb since oda almost always uses one. the sea level rising in a pirate world would be the ultimate time bomb. a global flood would be the ultimate stakes.

it just Makes Sense

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Tbf to garp him betraying the Marines at marineford would cause tons of chaos and suffering beyond the local, so he's kind of locked in by his past choices for better or worse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That Netflix thing is two segments away from showing one piece

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm scared

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just wanna see some stretching

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So many people in the audience all there for One Piece... brings a tear to the eye

bondster
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1670196120079704064?s=46&t=3P1kKR4qP_sXSRkPCqyxFg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean.. I guess?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Not AS bad as I thought it'd be, but eugh quips

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Lmao

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Looks great. Love it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m stoked

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
looks about as good as the Full Metal Alchemist adaption

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Like it looks fine, I guess. Stretching wasn't as bad as I expected.

Yeah, I could give it an episode or two.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
sea king looked pretty dope

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theres gotta be better gum gum effects than that man

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
They've got the barrel scene, does that mean they're doing Arlong Park too?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GodFish posted:

They've got the barrel scene, does that mean they're doing Arlong Park too?

I remember seeing that they cast Arlong, so yes

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Buggy looked decent,

Baratie looks like a place I would eat at.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Theres gotta be better gum gum effects than that man

I mean, I think stretching a human body is gonna be one of those things that's gonna look a bit off no matter what, so I'm willing to cut them a bit of slack on that part.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QoATGUcCcU

One Piece segment starting now

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

https://i.imgur.com/lyJLKQo.mp4

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

jesus gently caress

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Arist posted:

jesus gently caress

Jordan Peterson is gonna use live action buggy on tweets for hte next 3 months

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
inaki said nakama rights

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
"I play the legendary Captain Usopp." Excellent.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

this looks like a fan film with a 300 m budget. i really don't have much hopes for writing especially after the whedon like quip that luffy had

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Netflix loves quips

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Apparently it has a $150m budget so your praise is noted

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Those are some cool looking cosplayers, looking forward to the amateur theatre play they're putting on. Wonder what the budget is?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Now I want to see live action Chopper

It was just SO BAD. Like a really cringey cosplayer you'd see at a convention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

“All great fighters call out their finishing moves”
“No they don’t”

Ok, that was a decent gag I’ll admit.

Overall, the actors seem competent and the effects are better than I expected them to be at least but we’ll see how this goes