Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its comedy so there need to be quips. Thems the rules

Yup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The quips must flow.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I feel the same way. The One Piece anime is not great. At least pacing-wise, it's very daunting. It's hard to recommend it to people, unlike something like Cowboy Bebop. So if this show is decent enough, it could encourage anime/manga likes who are put off by the anime to read the manga!

It was great for several hundred episodes! There's pacing charts and stuff, it was truly respectable in pace for a long time. But I know even that style of 2 chapters an ep etc might take more of a chill relaxed pace taste than the recent adaptations like One Punch Man etc. But it's worth getting into that style I'd say.

For me I always recommend people give the anime a try, and the manga for sure. I've rewatched the early stuff and it's so drat good, I actually do enjoy say the Luffy meeting Zoro arc of Romance Dawn a bit more in the anime version. It's just so darn cool the way they adapted it. And the music, the voice acting, loving masterpiece I'd say.

As for the Netflix trailer, it's not making me feel too bad, doesn't offend me or anything. And there's a dash of wonder and some of the One Piece flavor, but I don't think I need to watch it necessarily. But never say never. Indeed hopefully it brings in some new fans.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Specifically it's a rom-com

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Countblanc posted:

i just dont get why theres quips. like, surely they saw the negative backlash bebop got for having marvel dialogue, why do it here too

Writer's Perspective: They're easy to write. Writing comedy is legitimately really hard, so easy comedy lines that are multi-purpose (quips can characterise someone as difficult to startle or easy-going in tense situations or can imply all sorts of relationships between characters) are an easy fallback for a non-confident writing team.
Banker's Perspective: Capitalism does not breed innovation. Copying the successful thing guarantees us success. Marvel does it and Marvel is successful, so we'll do it too.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

oddium posted:

oda asked me to enjoy the live action one piece and i will try

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I gotta see a gum gum gatling or the headbutt vs kuro

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

GruntMountain posted:

Writer's Perspective: They're easy to write. Writing comedy is legitimately really hard, so easy comedy lines that are multi-purpose (quips can characterise someone as difficult to startle or easy-going in tense situations or can imply all sorts of relationships between characters) are an easy fallback for a non-confident writing team.
Banker's Perspective: Capitalism does not breed innovation. Copying the successful thing guarantees us success. Marvel does it and Marvel is successful, so we'll do it too.

quips are easy because you find the right character to say the emotional response the audience is supposed to have

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

anime was right posted:

quips are easy because you find the right character to say the emotional response the audience is supposed to have

*visibly pauses for laughs*

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

That trailer makes it look like the most extremely slightly-below-average thing I've ever seen. Just the absolute epitome of 4.9 out of 10.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:laffo:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

honestly what im dreading the most are the gumo gumo scenes, that did NOT look good

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I’m gonna watch it and I’m gonna like it. Sorry, everyone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nuebot posted:

I do not like this live action one piece

Good news, you won't have to not like it for very long!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Shanks, soon: well, that happened.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Will all be forgiven if "yo ho ho, he took a bite of gum gum" appears as a piece of spoken dialogue?

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The Lord of the Coast? Yeah right. That overgrown garden eel couldn't bite off a finger, let alone an arm.
[awkward pause]
Aaaand he's right behind me, isn't he?

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think it’ll be a decent enough adaptation but a bad show. The highest budget fan film.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
my opinion now is the same as it was before the trailer which is i want them to stick the sets and props into a theme park section and let me visit it

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
in fact they shouldve just spent the 150 million on that

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Bebop was bad, but it's way better than people give it credit for. Compared to the original? Terrible. As a stand alone sci-fi show? Eh, perfectly watchable and fun at moments.

Imagine this will be ok, but gently caress does it have an uphill battle. Few worrying things:

- Choice to start the trailer with Luffy just vaguely saying 'the sea is calling him' instead of Roger's lines is a little worrying. It's broader, but 'i want to be wet' is not Luffy's dream, and making the first impression is a miss.
- No cuts to any of the really interesting/fun stuff from the first chapters. No cut to Gaimon? Or anyone else on Buggy's crew?
- Feels really hollow, as every shot is either distant or a close up of 1-2 people. Hope there's crowds, this is a vibrant world dammit.
- Gum gum works better when you don't have to think of it being flesh.
- Quips, god dammit

Sets look incredible, the Luffy seems fun. The overall feel reminds me a lot of a Series of Unfortunate Events/Bebop, which makes me wonder if the same people are behind them, outside of them both being Netflix.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Gaimon will not be in it for several reasons lmao, not least among them that he's a complete one-off character. I love him, but his chapter is a bizarre digression

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
No Urogue no cry

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Arist posted:

Gaimon will not be in it for several reasons lmao, not least among them that he's a complete one-off character. I love him, but his chapter is a bizarre digression

I think the Gaimon chapter accomplishes a couple things:

1: Establishing that there's just really weird people/creatures in this world
2: Establishes that Luffy will invite anyone that interests him into the crew even if they aren't strong fighter types

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Not showing Mohji, Cabaji, and mostly importantly Richie is an unforgivable crime.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The overall feel reminds me a lot of a Series of Unfortunate Events/Bebop, which makes me wonder if the same people are behind them, outside of them both being Netflix.

They're (One Piece and Cowboy Bebop) both produced by Tomorrow Studios and have Marty Adelstein as executive producers, but outside of that a scan of the Wikipedia pages for both doesn't recover any names in common.

E: I didn't realise that the One Piece show was filmed here in Cape Town. Neat.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

lmfao

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I can’t believe this show has the foul, dreaded, “quip’

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Ryaomon posted:

aaaaaaand the sea king is right behind me isnt he

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
[arlong holding up zoro with a cockney accent (all fishmen have cockney accent)] bloody hell this guy is really bloody, hell

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Voxx posted:

[arlong holding up zoro with a cockney accent (all fishmen have cockney accent)] bloody hell this guy is really bloody, hell

drat I didn’t know 4Kids was writing this

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

why didn't they do this as a single, handheld camera sitcom, a la The Office?

Gomu Gomu no Pistol!

* Luffy mugs to the camera *

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Arist posted:

Pretty much what the other guy said, but a lot of OP's charm is the creative stupid-ness of the world and how sincerely Oda embraces that. Basically that whole meme about how Oda makes outwardly stupid characters (the guy in Donflamingo's crew who wears baby clothes) but then gives them a heart-wrenching background story.

I can't think of another comic series that pulls it off as well. Just hoping the Netflix show doesn't shrug that goofiness off.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Drakkel posted:

I think the Gaimon chapter accomplishes a couple things:

1: Establishing that there's just really weird people/creatures in this world
2: Establishes that Luffy will invite anyone that interests him into the crew even if they aren't strong fighter types

It also establishes what the Grand Line even is and basically lays out the entire geography (oceanography?) of the setting as a whole. Granted, you could move that part basically anywhere and it probably wouldn't affect all that much.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have my doubts about the quality of the show, but I'm glad it exists for the sake of that shot of Buggy, lol. The Gum Gum special effect also looked surprisingly good.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

arm stretch technology has not improved at all since the michael jordan stretch in space jam. it's exactly the same

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Okay, casting's good, action looked decent, cgi is alright, sets look good. Buggy was on screen for one second and stole the show, which is how a Buggy do.

It could be worse, it could be a lot worse.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

One Piece Live Action Thread: It could have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So what's wrong with quips?

I mean, sure, they're rote and kind of conventional at this point, but if they do their job, who cares?

They're not naturalistic at all, and I can see how they'd take you out of a serious drama or something, but One Piece really does not need naturalistic dialog. It doesn't need quips specifically, but for this new thing, I don't know why it specifically needs to not adhere to these other apparently successful genre conventions.