Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Democratic Pirate posted:

Phone posting so apologies if I didn’t find the right thread, but does anyone have New Orleans food/bar recs to share? Not focusing on fine dining, but would love some places to hang out and catch up with friends I haven’t hung out with in person in 5 years.

Where are you staying?

Coop’s Place on Decatur is a fantastic chill bar that also has incredible food. If I wanted a great meal, and also just hang out drinking for a few hours catching up with old friends, that would be the place for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Phone posting so apologies if I didn’t find the right thread, but does anyone have New Orleans food/bar recs to share? Not focusing on fine dining, but would love some places to hang out and catch up with friends I haven’t hung out with in person in 5 years.

I had some amazing loving food at Marjies. It was of one the top meals I've had in a long time.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 18, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cochon Butcher for lunch, all sandwiches there are great

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Discendo Vox posted:

I have a practice of buying my father mustard for holidays- what kind should I get him for father's day? Historically he likes Handlmaier's and other German ones.

In Germany Handlmaier is mostly known for their sweet mustard. So, get him a choice of sweet mustard mixes.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's more recs in this thread but i agree w/ phil from this post a while back

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For food, I think you can’t go wrong with Pêche, Cochon, or Paladar. If you’re venturing away from downtown, try a po boy at Parkway Tavern and if you’re here the weekend of the 26th, go to the fairgrounds for the Louisiana Derby.

For a great breakfast I always liked Elizabeth’s but I haven’t been since before COVID. Best beer is at Courtyard Brewery, but Zony Mash is also good and fun for music. Touristy stuff I would say check out the WWII museum, walk down Royal Street in the quarter for the shopping and galleries and a generally more interesting vibe than Bourbon Street. Get drinks at the Napoleon House, the Carousel Bar at the Monteleone, and Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop. Watch some music at Fritzel’s or the Spotted Cat. Don’t get too drunk and use common sense when out at night. If you can ride the streetcar uptown, take a walk in Audubon Park or the Fly by the river and the zoo, and have a beer at Cooter Brown’s. If the weather’s nice, check out the Garden District—they do tours of the neighborhood’s really cool mansions.

And keeping in tune with the thread as of late you should be able to get some good boiled crawfish at any of a few spots. Bevi is a good one and so is Clesi’s if they’re open.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

This is excellent, thanks everyone.

We are staying in the lower garden district near the St Charles line. I’m assuming between the trolley and ride shares we can get to key spots and meander our way around.

I’ve been limiting drinking and heavy eating this year so this will be a real system shock even if I imbibe at a moderate rate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made kosheri (mujadara) last night and used brown rice. It worked really well! Apart from a bit more texture and flavour (both good things) one couldn’t really tell. I think that mostly when I have had brown rice before it hasn’t been cooked enough or with enough water, and as a result is unite hRd and chewy. It’s much better when cooked with a generous amount of water (1:2.25-2.5), at which point the rice is properly cooked and yielding but still retains some shape and texture from the hull.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The best egg fried rice I ever made was based on some heinously overcooked brown rice that I jokingly agreed to try to fix with egg, oil, soy sauce and heat.
That bitch turned out perfect, and I have never, in the intervening 5 years, been able to reproduce that perfection.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I love stories like that. The perfect food, one day the fried rice God smiled on you and the planets aligned

Edit: there’s a story I might’ve shared on this forum before about how Dave Arnold left a durian in a pressure cooker and forgot about it, and when he opened it up there was delicious caramel inside and the stink was completely gone and he’s never been able to reproduce that

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 18, 2023

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Just found out that my mom died. gently caress cancer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

dino. posted:

Ah gently caress, sorry dino. :smith:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
My condolences, dino. gently caress cancer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ah man, I’m so sorry.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

gently caress. Sorry dino. Do you have a fond food memory with her?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'm so sorry, dino.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sorry to hear that dino. All the love.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I'm so sorry, dino. gently caress cancer :sympathy:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BrianBoitano posted:

gently caress. Sorry dino. Do you have a fond food memory with her?

We actually connected over food. It’s how our relationship was built. Also, she loved sharing cool things. Boiled peanuts in the roadside. Green sour mangoes with salt and cayenne. Watermelon on a hot summer day. Cane sugar juice with ginger and key limes.

She had very strong opinions on how things are to be done, and many times I agreed.

mystes
May 31, 2006

sorry dino that sucks :(

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

dino. posted:

We actually connected over food. It’s how our relationship was built. Also, she loved sharing cool things. Boiled peanuts in the roadside. Green sour mangoes with salt and cayenne. Watermelon on a hot summer day. Cane sugar juice with ginger and key limes.

She had very strong opinions on how things are to be done, and many times I agreed.

That super sucks dino, I’m sorry.

I made pongal for the first time a few weeks ago when you made your post. It’s loving delicious and comforting and easy and my wife went crazy for it. I’ve made it three times since then, so a little of your mom’s and your food influence is living on in a boring white couple in Colorado.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

gently caress dino, I'm sorry.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

dino. posted:

:rip: my condolences.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry dino. It's a horrible thing.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Condolences, Dino. May you are on her legacy, one kindness at a time.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Ugh, sorry to hear it Dino. Years ago when I worked in a sushi restaurant, when I worked doubles and had a moment, I’d slam sushi rice and the mayo/sriracha sauce or whatever sauce the chefs had whipped up. This week was insane on every level, including brain surgeries in a family member. I’m super stressed, tired, thinking about mortality too much and have a sparse pantry at the moment. Managed to microwave a sweet potato, threw it in rice and ate it with sriracha + gochujang. Took me back, made me miss my dad. I think the simplest foods will always be my favorite. I’m hoping I get a tomato harvest this year for a tomato/mayo/salt sandwich. Peace to our loved ones.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Apparently there’s a Huy Fong sriracha shortage again?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yup. Have looked passively for months. Switched to Trader Joe's Calabrian chile sauce for lots of applications while we wait.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Apparently Huy Fong screwed over the pepper farm they source from in some way, so the farm started making its own sriracha under the brand Underwood Ranches. Haven't tried it myself but I hear it's legit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Holy poo poo. We have an inch remaining of Sriracha and it's been a constant stab of "is this meal Sriracha worthy?"

This weekend we're having our kid and their partner over, so shabu shabu will probably be our bottle's viking funeral.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
The CEO is constantly shooting himself in the foot, we should use this time to find a worthy substitute

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Valentina has been there the whole time. She's still there, waiting for you. So are her sisters, Crystal and Lao Gan Ma. It's gonna be ok.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Idk you might as well mainline a bucket of sugar while you’re at it. Sriracha is so grotesquely sweet. I can’t. It’s almost as bad as gochujang. There’s a million and a half sauces out there that won’t make you lose a toe. Get them.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I've been using chili oil this whole time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think the sugar content in sriracha is similar to ketchup so I don't understand why people get angry at sriracha for having that much sugar but not ketchup

it's sweet so don't use it on something where you don't want sweetness, but that doesn't mean it's evil

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mystes posted:

I think the sugar content in sriracha is similar to ketchup so I don't understand why people get angry at sriracha for having that much sugar but not ketchup

it's sweet so don't use it on something where you don't want sweetness, but that doesn't mean it's evil

Oh we are mad at ketchup, but it’s only purpose in life is for fried salty potatoes, which offsets the sweetness. The only other theoretical use for ketchup is as a helper for a quick BBQ sauce which should also have plenty of vinegar to balance. Anything else is a war crime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Gentlemen

If you don’t like the sweetness of ketchup may I suggest Australian tomato sauce

It’s basically ketchup with much less sugar

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You can make your own too, it's cool.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For alternative hot condiments, there's a Euro store near me that sells a bunch of different kinds of ajvar and that stuff's good.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just discovered ajvar and it's a good way to make pretty plain food fancy. Unfortunately, I have to drive to the rear end end of my metro area, 45 minutes to get it, and then I run the gauntlet of all the weird foods of an import grocery, and spend 3x what I intend to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Learn something new every day

I have a ton of bell peppers in the freezer, might as well make some

What is ajvar good on?