Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nitrousoxide posted:

Re: upcoming anime this year.

"My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer" is actually shaping up to look pretty nice. I'm surprised how good this looks considering the studio isn't known for this level of quality.

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1670060094254469128?s=20

PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOSQIsDK9X4
I've been reading the manga of this one for years, and it's absolutely excellent. you've got the older father who retired from being an adventurer after losing a leg, and he moves to a rural town where he finds an abandoned baby in the forest, who is the titular S-Ranked Daughter. It's very cute and a great adventure series, and the main casts of characters(the daughter's party, the father's villager and adventurer friends) are all great, and the plot is genuinely interesting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i guess they aren't using the original art style at all.
I am glad it is getting an anime adaptation, but the vibe to me feels different from the manga(even if the character designs are largely the same), which can go from cutesy to intense at a moment's notice with a switch in shading, it's really effective.

the "silly" styling(like when she's grinding her teeth) they're using for the anime doesn't really fit with how I imagined it would be animated, it's just a teaser but it feels just different enough, it doesn't look bad at all, but it's throwing me off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

FilthyImp posted:

Summer 2023: the 2nd season

Dont bother. It was :downsrim:

It definitely felt it was hit with the Index S3 treatment

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

GateOfD posted:

I hear Saori Hayami's voice. Instant picked up.

Huh, I didn't notice at first but yeah you're right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GateOfD posted:

It definitely felt it was hit with the Index S3 treatment
My wife and I found S1 on netflix waaaay back in like 2014. Whenever poo poo like Otaku Teacher was also on. We both liked it a lot, for the inversion of Ultimate Evil Lord having to work at McD's, Mao being kind of a decent dude, and ok art.

S2 has noticeably worse art, with the charm of the fast food setting being taken out in favor of some odd jobs that give the cast a chance to get to new locales. The main antagonist is nowhere near as fun as the Sentucky manager dude and it seems to set up a pretty common trope where Enta Isla's church sucks, demons arent all evil shits that should be eradicated, and heaven is full of dickweeds.

Maybe the S2 announcement and season pushed a bunch of volumes to be sold.

I mean, I was also down on Rental Girlfriend S2. But that at least kept the good art.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Julias posted:

I'm aiming to get up the Summer Season thread next weekend. As usual, feel free to throw some thread title suggestions my way and one of them may get chosen. Here's the lineup for next season:

https://anichart.net/Summer-2023

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

Summer Season 2023
  • “Bleach is BACK” is back
  • Undead? ✓ Girls? ✓ Murder? ✓ Farce? Nah it's real bro.
  • Dark Gathering? Helck yea!
  • Entertaining in a 'train wreck at clown college' kind of way (shamelessly stolen from Doodles)
  • “My unique skill makes me OP at level 1” says local vending machine
  • ♫ We don't talk about Tensei, nay nay nay ♫

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the thread title should just be "Summer Season 2023: Helck Yeah!"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Summer season: put your gohands together

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain Invictus posted:

:sickos:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will probably check out Synduality to fill the robot shaped hole G-Witch will leave and also I like those chunky little guys it got

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Malsangoroth posted:

[*]Entertaining in a 'train wreck at clown college' kind of way (shamelessly stolen from Doodles)
I'm touched, really. And I'm calling the cops.

But I do agree with the others, "Helck Yeah!" just works so well for the coming season.

I'll wait for the summer thread for details, but right now the series I'm crossing fingers to be good is "AI no Idenshi." I enjoyed "Dennou Coil," so maybe this will be another good tech philosophy/mystery from Madhouse.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is there a reason to expect Helck to be good or does it just have a funny name?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

its based on a manga that people like

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
subtitle should just be "featuring anne from management" again

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Fangz posted:

It's going for two straight cours so I'd expect gradually less and less.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fangz posted:

the manga for helck is very very good.

Space Flower posted:

subtitle should just be "featuring anne from management" again

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

it's a manga about a funny cool bird and some other people I guess.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sleng Teng posted:

it's a manga about a funny cool bird and some other people I guess.

not a bird

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I hate that little green cuck orb.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I hate that little green cuck orb.

lol. piwi gently caress off!!!!

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

seriously though I got tired of Helck and dropped it but I hope the anime is good for the Helck enjoyers.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
huge demon slayer episode file today

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's super long. Like 50 minutes of new footage including credits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this entire season couldve been 50 minutes so idk how they managed that

marumaru
May 20, 2013

demon slayer spoiler i didnt think they'd actually kill off nezuko and was expecting them to deus ex machina it, but then they did a 40 minute flashback sequence of her and it just kept going and i started worrying a bit lol

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
same, lol

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Gonna watch the helck episodes about the angel dude and the dark elf.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Captain Invictus posted:

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Was the finale of Dangers in my Heart this week or is there one more?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mons Hubris posted:

Was the finale of Dangers in my Heart this week or is there one more?

They announced another season on Saturday I believe.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Arc Hammer posted:

They announced another season on Saturday I believe.

Oh nice. So season one is only a 12 episode season?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yup, this was the finale. I'm really glad it got such a solid adaptation, and the wait for S2 will be short!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

marumaru posted:

demon slayer spoiler i didnt think they'd actually kill off nezuko and was expecting them to deus ex machina it, but then they did a 40 minute flashback sequence of her and it just kept going and i started worrying a bit lol

Saagonsa posted:

One time at an Anime Milwaukee panel I went to a few years ago one of the panelists said that they didn't think Demon Slayer was very good and a very large chunk of the audience just walked out lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this season kinda really wasnt very good though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nah, there was a bunch of fun Action, Suspense, and romance shows. I guess if you don't like any of those genres than sure, but I think you're in the minority in thinking this was a weak season.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theyre talking about demon slayer..

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Oh :sweatdrop:

It was fine, but really Demon Slayer peaks in its writing in the Entertainment District arc, so everything from here on is just going to be coasting off of ufotable giving the action sequences some nice animation, composition, and choreography.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Julias posted:

Oh :sweatdrop:

It was fine, but really Demon Slayer peaks in its writing in the Entertainment District arc, so everything from here on is just going to be coasting off of ufotable giving the action sequences some nice animation, composition, and choreography.

Agreed, not sure whether it's worth continuing. Maybe I'll just hop back in for the end, there's a few good parts in there with the top demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

ill continue watching it (next season is last right?) mostly because yeah the animation carries the show. i'm probably not going to watch it weekly though because if next seasons pacing is anything like this seasons its just not worth it. nothing much happens