Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

wait are these just exploitation films about Japan's various warcrimes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

wait are these just exploitation films about Japan's various warcrimes?

Yes

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sounds like wholesome family entertainment.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was trying to keep my to-watch pile under control since I've got the Vinegar Syndrome sale order on the way, but the buy 2 get one free sale at Target has blown my poo poo up

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Sounds like I need to hit up Target. This thread is bad for my collecting tendencies.

Gripweed posted:

Man there's nothing worse than finding out a movie got a physical release but it's out of print and super expensive now.

Like, holy poo poo Linda Linda Linda got a DVD in America? And it's gone forever now?

Coming back to this post because I just watched Linda Linda Linda last night and now I'm sad about this. drat!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah finding out something is OOP sucks. I’d really like a copy of William Friedkin’s Jade but not for $150

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

dorium posted:

Yeah finding out something is OOP sucks. I’d really like a copy of William Friedkin’s Jade but not for $150

Never not laughing at David Caruso’s delivery of “it’s a gently caress house.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=csqvyNZ19DI

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

I just expect all discs to go out of print whenever the three mega corps that own all the rights to anything decide it's not worth the tiny market

so, like, ten years? fifteen? :negative:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm fine with that, as long as I can still buy little flash cards with 50GB versions of movies on them that I can plug into my TV or whatever. I get Blus for video quality and would really prefer they not take up so much space. I still like having something physical so I can browse through them and get inspired to watch something, though. Gimme something like this:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Will never understand how Grandma’s Boy didn’t get a Blu-ray release near BD’s launch. That’s the kind of movie that video quality nerds like!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

PinkoBastard posted:

It's a freaking classic. Real shame that dvd and blu-ray one time run were it. I hope that's coming down the pike through Kino Lorber.

https://twitter.com/Kaizerkunkun/status/1670117182146228225?s=20

dorium fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 17, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PinkoBastard posted:

Why would they print all that right on the pillow?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

PinkoBastard posted:

lol good lord you can tell joe eszterhas wrote this without even looking it up

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why would they print all that right on the pillow?

Thing's gotta have an instruction manual.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

I'm fine with that, as long as I can still buy little flash cards with 50GB versions of movies on them that I can plug into my TV or whatever. I get Blus for video quality and would really prefer they not take up so much space. I still like having something physical so I can browse through them and get inspired to watch something, though. Gimme something like this:

Solid state bulk write is far more onerous than a blu-ray disk mechanical printing. Plus they aren't the best for long term storage of data.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dorium posted:

It's a freaking classic. Real shame that dvd and blu-ray one time run were it. I hope that's coming down the pike through Kino Lorber.

https://twitter.com/Kaizerkunkun/status/1670117182146228225?s=20

Do they give you a limit in the closet or can you just go full supermarket sweep in that bitch. Not that uh, I'd do that sort of that thing..

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

Do they give you a limit in the closet or can you just go full supermarket sweep in that bitch. Not that uh, I'd do that sort of that thing..

There's no limit, but the Safdie bros pushed the limits of No Limits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSdxbBsShak

I remember seeing someone else go ham in the closet but cannot find it to save my life. It's a huge advertisement for the CC, to have a big director or star agog for the collection, for the price of a few movies.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I recall Terry Gilliam leaving with the Bergman box and a whole tote of box sets. Then again, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was Criterion's best-selling DVD for years.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pwn posted:

I remember seeing someone else go ham in the closet but cannot find it to save my life. It's a huge advertisement for the CC, to have a big director or star agog for the collection, for the price of a few movies.

fun watch, and makes me feel basic as poo poo with my choices all being pretty mainstream so far..three colors is probably the most "obscure" out of my 10 CC uhds at this point and that is far from flying under the radar

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

If I ever had the chance to go into the closet I would just start pulling stuff I never heard of and having nothing to say about it besides “oh I really want to see this”.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

pwn posted:

Barry Jenkins took a whole bunch. Incredible video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i'd get all the out of print stuff and sell it online for ridiculous markup. it's called the movie grindset.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has anyone ever grabbed the rock?

pwn
May 27, 2004

Almost Blue posted:

Barry Jenkins took a whole bunch. Incredible video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7HLpe65fHY

I would "just one more" for that Jacques Tati set too

I really need to get that :(

zer0spunk posted:

fun watch, and makes me feel basic as poo poo with my choices all being pretty mainstream so far..three colors is probably the most "obscure" out of my 10 CC uhds at this point and that is far from flying under the radar

Ooooh yeah I too feel like a basic bitch when I watch these. But it only really matters to watch what you like!

pwn fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 18, 2023

pwn
May 27, 2004

God i fuckin love Criterion. Can't afford it right now? Don't worry fam, it'll be here when you're ready. No fomo limited edition slipcover, or taking the booklet out, or whatever other bullshit other smaller labels have to do to move units by exploiting nerds' neurosis. That Jacques Tati collection came out in 2014 and I can buy the same exact edition today.

Criterion also has great films. Everyone else has to swallow crap from the studios to get the good stuff, does Criterion have any crap? The aforementioned The Rock and Armageddon are from 25 years ago. That closet is all killer no filler.

Much love to Arrow and Kino and all the others scrabbling to be king of the runners-up (and god drat have i given them plenty of love via money) but Criterion, you the man now dawg :madmax:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I just bought the Criterion Persona set for $20 at my local thrift store. It's one of my friend's favorite movies, she'll flip when I give it to her. And that Godzilla set is a must-get for my partner, who will also flip. I mean, that'll wait 'til Christmas, but still. And eventually I'm gonna pick up Multiple Maniacs and House for myself. Thanks, Criterion!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If their timing is like last year, they're doing another half-off sale next month :getin:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Spending my entire Criterion Closet video pulling out Wes Anderson movies one by one, making a face at the train one

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

If I ever get invited to the Criterion closet I'm gonna be that guy. You invited me in here, I shout as I sweep entire rows into my bag.

I have their Godzilla set and it rules. Keep in mind it's like 14 inches tall, so it's honestly a great coffee table piece, or in my case it's displayed on top of my media shelf.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

That reminds me, I need to continue working on the Bergman collection. Was going at a good pace, but fell behind on reading the essays after watching.

I’m receiving my Way of Water 4K today. Can’t wait to throw it on and see some vibrant rear end colors compared to everything else these days.

Also, Southland Tales. Super unimpressed and makes sense why it killed Kelly’s career. That being said, does reading the graphic novels help the movie? Or is it just a wild-rear end stew? It’s so loving 2005 in some ways that it hurts. A The Killers music piece? What the gently caress!?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Tim Whatley posted:

If I ever get invited to the Criterion closet I'm gonna be that guy. You invited me in here, I shout as I sweep entire rows into my bag.

I have their Godzilla set and it rules. Keep in mind it's like 14 inches tall, so it's honestly a great coffee table piece, or in my case it's displayed on top of my media shelf.

I made it approximately a week into owning that Godzilla Criterion set before I crumbled like a cookie and paid for the custom box art/4 disc cases on ebay to replace the big book.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also, Southland Tales. Super unimpressed and makes sense why it killed Kelly’s career. That being said, does reading the graphic novels help the movie? Or is it just a wild-rear end stew? It’s so loving 2005 in some ways that it hurts. A The Killers music piece? What the gently caress!?
Never seen Southland Tales before, but I'm seeing it next month in theaters for the first time. the complete turn around people have done on it has me intrigued.

dorium fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 18, 2023

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Between the Arrow release, people’s positive mentions, and just the weird cast, I figured it couldn’t hurt.

Did a blind buy years ago, but finally watched it yesterday. Maybe look into the graphic novels and see if your experience is better.

Just threw on chapter 2 of Way of Water, makes me want to get the 3D version as well.

I redeemed the MA code, who wants it for Disney Insider?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Showing up to my criterion closet interview in a uhaul

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Showing up to my criterion closet interview in a uhaul

Fast 5’ing the Criterion closet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

You all can take whatever you want out of the Criterion closet, I'm smuggling a copy of Tammy and the T-Rex onto a shelf.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

caligulamprey posted:

You all can take whatever you want out of the Criterion closet, I'm smuggling a copy of Tammy and the T-Rex onto a shelf.

Everyone's so busy thinking what to take from the closet that nobody thinks about what could be incepted into it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Walking out of the Criterion closet after taking all the John Waters films for myself but leaving behind a copy of Wild Zero for them. As a treat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This closet needs a copy of Roar, and a UHD Howard the Duck steelbook.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Severin's cellar was better IMO. Too hot for YouTube, apparently, as they deleted Severin's channel with all the cellar videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Blessing the closet with one of their most overlooked films, my 25th anniversary steelbook of Good Burger.