Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

BrideOfUglycat posted:

My high school chem story is slightly more boring. I went to a small Catholic high school who had a new Chem teacher every couple years. One year, we came back from Spring Break to discover the chem lab cordoned off with police tape. Turns out the new Chem teacher had decided to go through the chem closet (which was LITERALLY a closet in the classroom) and go through some of the samples they had, take inventory, etc. Some of it was well past the use point, and she was trying to figure out what they needed. As she got to the REALLY old stuff in the way back of the closet, she found one large jar had leaked. It was the half-lb block of sodium, and the crack in the jar had let out all the mineral oil. Apparently, at that point, she pulled the fire alarm, evacuated the building, and the bomb-squad really did have to come in and clear it out. And, since it all happened the last day of Spring Break, the room hadn't been cleared for re-entry yet. No one knew how long the glass jar of sodium had been in there, since the oil smudged the handwritten label that had been on the bottle. The teacher said, based on the age of stuff around it, it had been at least the 60's though.

Why would you call the bomb squad for this? Is it surrounded by carboys full of water that might react with the sodium, after dissolving the layer of passive baking soda that it's covered itself in over the years?

Just plunk it in a new Nalgene full of mineral oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

Just me, saying "what a nice view" out loud, which I do all the time when I look out of the window.

I mean, I do, but I have an uninterrupted view of mount fuji.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Elviscat posted:

Why would you call the bomb squad for this? Is it surrounded by carboys full of water that might react with the sodium, after dissolving the layer of passive baking soda that it's covered itself in over the years?

Just plunk it in a new Nalgene full of mineral oil.

Elemental sodium reacts with the humidity in the air.

Source: My wife is a Chem teacher and she blanched at the story.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

In what kind of HealthCare Widgets is a "little" contamination okay?

Anything that has little to no real patient contact. You don't want your indwelling catheters bleeding some hideous dye concentrate into patients, but you might not care if there's a bit of it in your syringe housing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Elemental sodium reacts with the humidity in the air.

Source: My wife is a Chem teacher and she blanched at the story.

If it's been like that for years, it has already reacted with the humidity in the air, it is now covered in an inert oxide layer.

This would be like calling the bomb squad because you have a half-full can of gas in your garage.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I'm gonna trust my wife, who is also the chemical hygiene officer for the district, and has a chemistry degree on this one.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Elviscat posted:

If it's been like that for years, it has already reacted with the humidity in the air, it is now covered in an inert oxide layer.

Imagine being the new temp teach that accidentally blew themselves up while cleaning a closet.
Probably unlikely, but why take the risk?

Same with finding ww2 ordnances from your grandpa's closet. Probably won't blow you up, still calling the bomb squad.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Heh, back in undergrad, I worked as a research assistant for a chemistry professor. I got the worst job, inventory. We had reagent jars of aldehydes, ethers and esters that were covered in this gray gunk near the lid. I asked the professor how to clean it off at the end of the day and he paled. Turns out that gray gunk was peroxide build up and very explosive. The laboratory manager was supposed to be arranging for disposal but decided to game numbers for a bonus instead. We apparently had a bunch of stuff you're not supposed to have without a permit too so we got massive fines when we had to dispose of it all. Of course, I got yelled at for putting those reagents on the inventory.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Elviscat posted:

This would be like calling the bomb squad because you have a half-full can of gas in your garage.

Just because the jar was from the 1960s doesnt mean thats when it started leaking.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The answers in the middle, you should be calling experts if you have even a mild chance of explosive or conflagrate maiming which jarred amounts of sodium count for.

Somewhere keeping jars of sodium probably has someone on staff who can help make sure you aren't going to jostle it and expose a new but of surface that catches fire but if you're talking about the back of an old school school closet your experts on staff are probably the police or fire station.

Like same thing with dry picric acid in plastic jars. It's probably safe (unlike metal jars where it's definitely not) but an expert should be checking and handling it.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Someone itt is gunning to be a post in the PYF dangerous chemistry thread

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Barudak posted:

I mean, I do, but I have an uninterrupted view of mount fuji.

Oh yeah, "uninterrupted view of mount fuji".

Its hard enough sawing those huge logs without you staring at their arses.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Elviscat posted:

From personal experience (found some similarly gunked-up sodium and potassium, decided to [carefully] throw it in some water, for science of course): the coating isn't particularly reactive, but it can make the behaviour of the underlying metal *extremely* unpredictable. Instead of a smooth reaction -> burn, or reaction-> minor explosion, it varied from normal to "sullenly bubble for minutes then explode significantly more than usual, sending chunks of not-yet-reacted potassium flying everywhere.

Fun and all, but not with the quantities originally described.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

staberind posted:

chatgpt is telling a virgin to organise a 3some

What was the prompt?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

zedprime posted:

The answers in the middle, you should be calling experts if you have even a mild chance of explosive or conflagrate maiming which jarred amounts of sodium count for.

Somewhere keeping jars of sodium probably has someone on staff who can help make sure you aren't going to jostle it and expose a new but of surface that catches fire but if you're talking about the back of an old school school closet your experts on staff are probably the police or fire station.

Like same thing with dry picric acid in plastic jars. It's probably safe (unlike metal jars where it's definitely not) but an expert should be checking and handling it.

That reminds me of the time brother's chemistry lesson got interrupted due to the entire campus getting evacuated.
Someone had found a half-full 20 liter bottle of...something liquid.
It was at least a couple of decades old, the coloring indicated that it was something very bad and very unidentifiable and of course the label was yellowed, crumbled and notably lacking any sort of text.
The reason for the whole campus getting evacuated, was that the person who called the bomb squad in was the guy who usually gets contacted by the bomb squad when they need to know what this random substance they are dealing with, can do.
They did not like to hear "I have no loving clue what this is, but I'm pretty sure it is potent".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Was it jizz or just a garden variety piss horder?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
What if the hot secretary is Japanese and I say “I’m looking forward to a chance to Mount Fuji tonight”, I could be talking about the mountain!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

What if the secretary is called ThatAAASmokingHotPussyIMeanDamn (of the Boston IMeanDamns), and I say...

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Serious_Cyclone posted:

What if the hot secretary is Japanese and I say “I’m looking forward to a chance to Mount Fuji tonight”, I could be talking about the mountain!

Atopian posted:

What if the secretary is called ThatAAASmokingHotPussyIMeanDamn (of the Boston IMeanDamns), and I say...

100% glad this is not acceptable even as a joke at my work

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

SerthVarnee posted:

Remember to bring a nice snack for the truck driver! He has probably had a poo poo day and might not have had a chance to stop for something to eat.

When I was a dumb teenager doing tech support poo poo at my boomer dad's friend, fixing some registry fuckup, said friend came up with a plate of sandwiches. I perked up since I was hungry, but he just sat down next to me, started eating them and asked how it was going. :smith:

At least one of his other boomer friends would pay me after I finished. This guy was kind of oblivious and/or a dick.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

What if I say "Respecfully" before I do the sexual harassment?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It only counts if you say, "with all due respect."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s acceptable if the woman runs off and you turn to all the guys in the office, shrug, and say: Women, am I right?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Only if you get a high five out of it, otherwise you’re hosed

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Machai posted:

What if I say "Respecfully" before I do the sexual harassment?

Pretty sure it's 'no offense but...'

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
With all due respect, gently caress you and everything you stand for, eat the worst kind of poo poo and die. No offence.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Pretty sure it's 'no offense but...'

Close! It's "please hold this stun gun. Now, no offense, but"

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hi Kevin,

As per my previous email,

Bargearse posted:

With all due respect, gently caress you and everything you stand for, eat the worst kind of poo poo and die. No offence.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Cthulu Carl posted:

Try making up your own sources and see what happens.

i did this for some papers in college and got full marks on at least two of them.

current "AI" isn't intelligent in any meaningful sense but it is p interesting.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Mr. Fix It posted:

i did this for some papers in college and got full marks on at least two of them.

current "AI" isn't intelligent in any meaningful sense but it is p interesting.

Being able to ask a question in plain English and get an answer back in plain English is a huge step forward but in five years I’m sure it will be just another tool as mundane as Excel.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Lotta Juneteenth jokes today

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fortunately it was quiet but I had to cover for someone elses stuff entirely that I don't do much

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Question for all: when you leave a job, do you do exit interviews? Why or why not?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Chewbecca posted:

Question for all: when you leave a job, do you do exit interviews? Why or why not?

I have made it a policy that I do not conduct exit interviews. I generally don't explain to them why in any greater detail than that. The reason being: it is only for the job's benefit, not mine. If I'm leaving, it's because the benefit I gained from working there has clearly stopped working in some way, and I don't owe them anything anymore. If I thought they could or would change something about why I am leaving, then I would not be leaving. Also, it could jeopardize good references or contacts if you elect to be too honest and ruffle some feathers, so I prefer to leave it strictly professional and related to my job duties rather than rooting around in their business of management. Sure, you could do them and simply give the most bland milquetoast answers but I don't see the point in engaging in that type of mendacity.

Most people have understood, though one guy reacted negatively and didn't understand that I wasn't going to get into it so I just stopped responding to his emails. I have said that on SA before and people acted like it was some crazy rude thing to do. Maybe I'm just an rear end in a top hat and no one should listen to what I say :shrug: Actually, not listening to me is almost certainly for the best.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

P. much every job I've had I've been laid off instead of leaving of my own volition, so no real exit interview.

I did have one at the end of a contract gig. It was odd because it was in the conference room/storage space I was forced to use as my 'office' and the CIO kept saying how much she'd appreciated my work and if they get more headcount she'd hire me, but I knew I spent pretty much the last month playing Angry Birds in Chrome because no one checked on me.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
You don't owe your work anything but if you work with people you genuinely like and maybe upper management sucks poo poo or whatever, it could be helpful to the people you're leaving behind to do one.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

My last company didn't even do an exit interview, it was just an exit survey, which I thought was a little weird.

I would have been willing to do one because I wasn't necessarily leaving to get away from the last job, I just wanted to go back into a specialization I was passionate about, and I was hoping that the downsides of that would have been smoothed out a lot in the last 10 years I've been away from it. I'd be willing to go back to the previous job under many circumstances, so I would have been willing to do a boring exit interview that was mostly me smiling saying "yeah it's fine working here, I'm just chasing my passion right now."

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I hadn't planned to, but it turned out to be a survey rather than an interview. I wasn't under any illusion of privacy - I was particularly amused by the last page of questions around which area of the business you worked in, which city, what's your gender, how old are you etc so they had an excuse for linking you to your answers. I know it won't be used for anything meaningful either, it's a box-ticking exercise on their part. But I was honest about how much things have changed for the worse and why I was leaving, for my own closure if nothing else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My last job said "were gonna schedule an exit interview" and then they didn't so I just slipped out the back door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my whole fuckin time here is adding up to be one long exit interview