Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

So are all chapters gonna be this short from now on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah this is rough. Why is he so insistent on rushing it. Would his manga sales start falling or fear of being axed… (not that it is but boy he is writing/drawing like he has a gun pointed at the back of his head)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shindragon posted:

yeah this is rough. Why is he so insistent on rushing it. Would his manga sales start falling or fear of being axed… (not that it is but boy he is writing/drawing like he has a gun pointed at the back of his head)
This has been one of the best years for the volume sales. If anything the manga is more popular than it ever has been.

He's just being ground into dust by the publishing schedule. I don't think he's rushing necessarily either but it just feels like it due to the short chapters.

Basically every other long runner is suffering similar issues.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Yeah I've actually liked the last few chapters, which is why the length really stands out to me now; I don't think the two are directly related though.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Am i to believe all the other murders toga committed were cool but these murders are a bridge too far and have tainted her love

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheHan posted:

Am i to believe all the other murders toga committed were cool but these murders are a bridge too far and have tainted her love

I think it is that Toga's blood thing was less about murder and more about it being a way to connect with people thst nobody understood and so she was ostracized to the point she began to hurt people because of that . It still was that for her and that was even connected to her power. She was still a crazy murderer but blood had an actual tangible meaning to her.

Now she is just using it as a weapon.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

9 pages. That's sad.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ImpAtom posted:

I think it is that Toga's blood thing was less about murder and more about it being a way to connect with people thst nobody understood and so she was ostracized to the point she began to hurt people because of that . It still was that for her and that was even connected to her power. She was still a crazy murderer but blood had an actual tangible meaning to her.

Now she is just using it as a weapon.

...I guess! That is true though lol, I think that mass murder she did on the the MLA felt pretty murder-y but tbf it was outta self-preservation and it was the last time we saw her use her quirk before becoming Twice. I still think this new quirk to her quirk manifesting in this very specific manner where she can use Twice's quirk, her doubles can use Twice's quirk, but doubles of other people CAN'T use their quirks is a little too narratively convenient lol. Woulda been so easy to handwave it as the clones being two far removed from the source to use their quirks.

Also, what did Toga think Dabi's plan was lol. I kinda assumed they all knew Dabi's plan was die screaming.

EDIT: Also also, the only thing keeping this Toga-Ochako beef going was that in every interaction Ochako had no idea what the gently caress Toga was talking about. Personally I thought their whole dynamic was super weak and couldn't imagine there being a satisfying conclusion to "Ochako figures out what the gently caress Toga is talking about" especially when there's been no groundwork laid in this development. it's like a watered down Shigaraki-Deku for girls and the Shigaraki-Deku dynamic was already pretty weak lol.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 16, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shindragon posted:

He's exhausted, planned to finish months ago, and is right near the end. Tite Kubo talked about how he was sure if he stopped for a proper break, he'd never get going again at the end of Bleach, and this feels like the same thing.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Being a weekly mangaka is hell

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I remember someone posting Hori's schedule on this forum and it looked like something that even the biggest workaholics would turn down.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
At this point, I have to imagine Hori's body is 95% coffee and anxiety over cranking out this manga every week.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

You're not even allowed to have amphetamines in Japan, feels like manga artists should get an exception

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

At this point, I have to imagine Hori's body is 95% coffee and anxiety over cranking out this manga every week.

He is at least 25% energy from drawing buff women

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
did the Twice clones turn that one guy into just a pair of disembodied legs?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

He is at least 25% energy from drawing buff women

I don't think there are any buff women left. Mirko got bodied again, iirc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well there's your problem.

God, I really need to set aside some time to catch up.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I just want my Iron All Might

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I hope there's a long break between anime seasons so it can get the bleach treatment and stuff can get expanded on/changed later on because the pacing here is just awful and it feels like every ten chapters would be one normal chapter or there's so much shoved into one short chapter that should've been spread out into 20 and nothing in between

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-391/chapter/39384?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016708

Part of me wants to be charitable because it's a short chapter and Horikoshi is clearly dying. But this is terrible, and every subsequent Toga page, split amongst however many half length chapters, will be terrible. Please just finish this subplot as quickly as possible.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I hope it ends soon and the anime is canceled for a Vigilantes adaptation instead

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
This is, of course, a dumbfuck question.

But if the issue is *I'm dying and *I wont finish if I stop...

Why doesnt the publisher just say "Finish it at a normal pace and we'll sell it as a maxideluxe 3 volume End of MHA set"?

Like go from I NEED 3 PAGES EVERY DAY to, like, oh a page every 2 days.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

we're at least within spitting distance of the end, right? a couple more chapters to resolve toga, a couple chapters for iron might to sacrifice himself against teen AFO, then the Bakugo resurrection and Shigaraki conclusion? there's the kurogiri/eraserhead stuff but that can literally be teleported into any of the other three

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every author in Weekly Jump is dying and Horikoshi doesn't have the cache of someone like Togashi or Oda to get special treatment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Waffleman_ posted:

Every author in Weekly Jump is dying and Horikoshi doesn't have the cache of someone like Togashi or Oda to get special treatment.

I'm pretty sure he probably does at this point but he, personally, doesn't want to stop until it's done.

MHA isn't quite One Piece big, but it's a decade-long series with a full multi-season anime adaptation, multiple movies and video games, and tons of random spinoff merch level of big.

e: Also Ochako saying "You're sad because you can't do everything Twice could" while fighting on top of a gigantic infinite mountain of TogaTwice clones that have grey gooed their way over every hero in their way is honestly hilarious.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 18, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Horikoshi just needs to chill for a bit after the series is done and maybe draw some Spider-Man covers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Tataba took 3 months off, Gege took a mohth off. Both have had to take weeks off since those long breaks.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

If we still did that dumb "Big Three" thing we were doing in Bleach and Naruto era, MHA would absolutely be member of the current "Big Three". Horikoshi absolutely has a cache of goodwill he could tap into to get a special treatment that would make him stop dying from overwork, if he wanted to.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I really don't care for this subplot. I get why Uraraka and Toga are paired up for this final fight, the main female hero vs. the main female villain, but Uraraka really doesn't have much reason to care this much about why Toga is sad while she's busy mass murdering people. They've only met like, 2 or 3 times, and it was very briefly each time. There's no meaningful connection between them other than I guess they both like the same guy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lt. Lizard posted:

If we still did that dumb "Big Three" thing we were doing in Bleach and Naruto era, MHA would absolutely be member of the current "Big Three". Horikoshi absolutely has a cache of goodwill he could tap into to get a special treatment that would make him stop dying from overwork, if he wanted to.

I mean, there's a reason there's no "Big Three" any more, and that reason is because the underlying circumstances are different now. The "Big Three", as much as it was three series, was a point in time.

Which is to say, I'm sure Horikoshi has some pull, but I'm not sure he has that level of pull.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

Horikoshi just needs to chill for a bit after the series is done and maybe draw some Spider-Man covers

The world needs more Across the Spider-Verse fanart

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

The "Big Three", as much as it was three series, was a point in time.
And it was a briefer point in time than most people remember.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

And it was a briefer point in time than most people remember.

Nearly 15 years...? Naruto ran 1999 to 2014, Bleach was '01 to '16, One Piece is obviously still going.

If you want to say "only at the height of their popularity" then there's still nearly a full decade of them being concurrently popular.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
MHA is good but it's no Black Clover.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Was bloodlust being mixed with Toga's love not an issue when she turned into Ochako and dropped a lady from a gorillian feet up?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Was bloodlust being mixed with Toga's love not an issue when she turned into Ochako and dropped a lady from a gorillian feet up?

I'd guess the difference is in how much she's embodying the person she's copying. At that time she was thinking about Ochako and how much she envied her and wanted to be like her. Here she's just trying to use the quirk to kill as many heroes as possible. She isn't trying to "be" Twice other than a way to kill people.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
~anime logic ~

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nephthys posted:

I'd guess the difference is in how much she's embodying the person she's copying. At that time she was thinking about Ochako and how much she envied her and wanted to be like her. Here she's just trying to use the quirk to kill as many heroes as possible. She isn't trying to "be" Twice other than a way to kill people.

She's turning into Twice fine, and using his quirk perfectly. It's every other villain she's trying to turn into after doing the Twice thing that's her not "loving" them enough, or as you say, trying to "be" Shigaraki etc. as a way to kill people.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
It turns out, she just misunderstood the interaction between Quirks and Twice clones can't transform simply because they are Twice and not Toga-transformed-into-Twice. She can actually transform into other LoV members and use their Quirks just fine. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In hindsight, is there any reason Toga can't just send a bunch of Twice clones into the air, turn them into Gigantomachia, and just dive bomb everyone until they're done for?