Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Soonmot posted:

holy poo poo, being abel to ng+ with your upgraded cards is worth starting over for. I had only just started to unlock the DLC characters, but still!

It's kind of a false good idea IMO - if you're already friends with everyone, and you've already got perfect decks for everyone (or semi-perfect, only looking for a couple card mods) ; then there's not much point playing any more. You've already seen the story, likely done 90% of the social content and the missions blur together after a while.

You do you of course, but I'd get bored pretty fast without at least SOME reward mechanism/serotonin dispenser in place/token challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I kind of have that with NG+ in general, the fun part is the journey of developing your characters, why would I want to replay the game when that’s already done?

Some games let you choose what carries over. An option to reset everything except the Abbey exploration and mats would be good. I really want to play again, but sitting through allthe cutscenes and wandering in the abbey puts me off.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The things I'd want to carry over are the outfits I bought.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

The things I'd want to carry over are the outfits I bought.

Luckily the NG+ has a checkbox just for cosmetic unlocks.

This is a good post-game addition since it allows you to skip whichever parts of the grind you didn't enjoy the first time around.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but I don't have good cards for everyone. Basically only Magik and Nico got any real effort put into them because I brought them every chance I had. There's also all the DLC folks that are going to be new for me to build. I'm one of the people who hate card games, I have zero desire to build decks and then fish for good upgrades. I enjoy the actual battles and now I can go and do the soap opera parts different, add in bringing over all the cosmetics I previously bought and it's win/win for me!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You should also look into mods. There is stuff to short-cut any part of the game you find annoying.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Breaking out of everyone’s starter deck in NG+ was a bit of a pain in the rear end but now that I’m in a good place cards-wise, it’s been fun experimenting with builds that I didn’t play with in my first playthrough.

I’m making much heavier use of debuffs this go-round, loading up heroes like Scarlet Witch with her hex mark and Dr. Strange with Bands of Cytorrak. Vulnerable on demand is stronger than I realized, and taking away one supervillain action for a turn makes a big difference in terms of damage you have to soak.

I still find Hulk pretty useless - he needs to take damage to get strong but the name of the game is wiping out all enemies in as few turns as possible so setting him up doesn’t make much sense.

I also hate abilities that go in a line, find positioning the heroes a pain in the butt and that’s assuming there are more than two enemies to target in a line, just doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I still find Hulk pretty useless - he needs to take damage to get strong but the name of the game is wiping out all enemies in as few turns as possible so setting him up doesn’t make much sense.

Hulk has stuns and an AoE finisher. Now that Storm's available, he's a bit less appealing in comparison, IMO, and bringing him is less valuable given he isn't part of the friendship system.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He is still good since stuns are awesome and the base offense on his cards is relatively high, but as always he's held back from being amazing by the lack of quick or draw anywhere in his suite of attacks.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
See this is why I may hold the DLC for a new game plus. Then I have new relationships to build and scenes to watch.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, it won’t gently caress up your achievements. Yeah, FYI, if you do the DLC in an ongoing playthrough, none of the DLC achievements will trigger.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Good to know! Yeah I think a second play through with DLC in a couple of months will be fun.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The first time I booted the game after the most recent patch all the bugged DLC achievements popped for me all at once, so I think that one is finally fixed

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Finally got the platinum and 100% on all dlc. Good game.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The more I play this game, the more I find myself wanting to see Strange and Stark actually stop beating around the bush. These two dudes are quite clearly very in to each other.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
I will say this game has real cultural staying power.

My dog’s official new name is Rosie Wosie Puppyface.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Watching the end credits right now. I finished up all the DLC before going for the final battle. The DLC end bosses were disappointing, but the final mission of the main game was amazing. Anyone know exactly how the game picks the final characters?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Lammasu posted:

Watching the end credits right now. I finished up all the DLC before going for the final battle. The DLC end bosses were disappointing, but the final mission of the main game was amazing. Anyone know exactly how the game picks the final characters?

In the first stage, you get whichever three heroes have the lowest friendship and mission counts. In the second stage, it's the four with the highest friendship and mission counts.

So fighting corrupted Hunter can kinda suck if you didn't keep the decks of your backbenchers up to date.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Skippy McPants posted:

In the first stage, you get whichever three heroes have the lowest friendship and mission counts. In the second stage, it's the four with the highest friendship and mission counts.

So fighting corrupted Hunter can kinda suck if you didn't keep the decks of your backbenchers up to date.

I got Hulk fighting Hunter. He doesn't have a friendship ratting so how does that work?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lammasu posted:

I got Hulk fighting Hunter. He doesn't have a friendship ratting so how does that work?

He's always picked.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Lammasu posted:

Since Hulk doesn't have a friendship rating with Hunter, he's basically guaranteed to be picked as one of your three for the fight against the possessed Hunter and never picked for the second half where you're trying to reforge the seals.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

this is a hilarious way to do it and I love it

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I just got this today as it has finally approached the $20 mark. I went ahead and disabled the 2k launcher, but are there any must-have performance / playability mods akin to XCOM's Don't Waste My Time or whatever it was called?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Humble has the legendary version for $34 - worth it, or just get the base game for $20? The DLC seems pretty expensive normally.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Zachack posted:

Humble has the legendary version for $34 - worth it, or just get the base game for $20? The DLC seems pretty expensive normally.

I just played all the DLC and enjoyed each character's setup (though Deadpool is kind of a dud) and the new mission dynamics it throws at you. Some of the stuff at the end of the DLCs is real "final exam" stuff, asking you to really have a solid build for characters, which was cool. Too much focus on Blade, though, who isn't a great character to play.

Definitely worth it! I spent a lot of time with this game when it came out and the DLC felt like a satisfying victory lap. I think Midnight Suns is poised to be an undersung gem in videogame think pieces for years to come.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Zachack posted:

Get Legendary, if only because they are being really lovely about offering the season pass at a deep discount.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Just finished it. I am happy with my decision to hold DLC until NG+ because I am such a completionist and I barely got all the base characters to full friendship with final suits before the end game. Looking forward to doing that with the new characters. I may just pay full price for the DLC because I got the game itself on a steep discount.

On the ending: bummer it being sequel bait for a sequel that will never happen given its performance. Didn’t ruin it for me since the story wrapped nicely overall but didn’t love it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Riven posted:

On the ending: bummer it being sequel bait for a sequel that will never happen given its performance. Didn’t ruin it for me since the story wrapped nicely overall but didn’t love it.

I mean, sequel hooks that go nowhere because the whole line got cancelled is very on-brand for Marvel (and comics in general)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

I mean, sequel hooks that go nowhere because the whole line got cancelled is very on-brand for Marvel (and comics in general)

Yeah, of all the comic book things in the game it is maybe the most comic book.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Also Jake Solomon seems to love sequel hooks that go nowhere.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aegof posted:

Also Jake Solomon seems to love sequel hooks that go nowhere.

It's not his fault everyone hates awesome videogames.

Though, to be fair to your point, I don't think Jake would want to make a Midnight Suns 2 even if they let him, and he sure doesn't want to make XCOM3. From interviews, it very much sounds like he is done with Turn-based Strategy and wants to do something new, so those hooks were always something that a new team would need to tackle.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 6, 2023

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, of all the comic book things in the game it is maybe the most comic book.

Lol very true. Was even kind of thinking that when I posted but it was 3 am and the words didn’t quite form.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I’m so tempted to get this right now while it’s on sale, but every time I sit down and watch Christopher Odd play some of it, the gameplay just doesn’t seem to really grab me. I love the poo poo out of XCOM2, so should most of that love translate into this too? Or since the gameplay videos don’t wow me, is that pretty much all she wrote?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I don't know for you, but I wasn't interested in the gameplay at all until I actually played it, and enjoyed it a lot. I pretty much just bought the game for the character interactions, hoping the gameplay would grow on me, and it didn't take long at all.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The core gameplay loop of tactical combat and customizing decks / unlocking and upgrading cards is tight as hell and super fun. The mansion stuff and friendship portions I found fun but your mileage may vary and you don’t have to engage in it a lot if you don’t want to.

The actual missions are super fun and planning decks and imagining synergies between heroes, then seeing those synergies play out in a tight situation allowing you to push your luck for a bonus objective, is super satisfying and scratches the same itch as rushing a mission objective in x-com thanks to a new grenade you made.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gin_Rummy posted:

I’m so tempted to get this right now while it’s on sale, but every time I sit down and watch Christopher Odd play some of it, the gameplay just doesn’t seem to really grab me. I love the poo poo out of XCOM2, so should most of that love translate into this too? Or since the gameplay videos don’t wow me, is that pretty much all she wrote?

love xcom2 hate card games, loved this game.

The one drawback, is you need to give like half a dozen mission before it starts to let you select your own team for missions instead of being assigned members. But it's really fun.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Gin_Rummy posted:

I just started and I’m loving it so far. I will say it does sort of depend on what you really like about nu-xcom. I love them for the tactical game and I generally don’t care as much about the strategic game, but I know some people really love the balance between the two. So far I do not feel like I am making important decisions in the strategic layer here like you do in xcom. So far there’s no time pressure and I’m just choosing between options that give minor buff a or minor buff b. It’s much more a story delivery device than a whole half of the gameplay like xcom.

But the tactical game is a blast. Beeline until you get Spider-Man (that’s maybe four missions in) and then cackle constantly as you toss dudes around like unwanted toys. What I really like (again, so far) is that most of the cards I’m adding to character decks make them more interesting and varied instead of just getting bigger numbers.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Also don’t bring the hunter on every mission or things will get super boring. Bring three random heroes and see how they work together – Way more fun and then you discover cards from characters who actually want to build instead of just for Hunter most the time.

It turns out Hunter is one of the more boring characters built mostly as a damage dealer or support while other characters have a lot more variety. Doing this encounter a lot more synergies that aren’t otherwise available. My dream team turned out to be Doctor Strange buffing blades chain abilities with Spider-Man, using environmentals in one huge turn to even the odds before the damage could really stack up.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Does this game have a time limit? Like, you have X days/time units to defeat lilith, so you can't get the maximum social rank or whatever with every hero in one run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Vincent posted:

Does this game have a time limit? Like, you have X days/time units to defeat lilith, so you can't get the maximum social rank or whatever with every hero in one run?

No. There is zero time pressure on anything, and you're free to be chill as your heart desires. You can go right up to the final mission and then spend another hundred hours just doing procedural missions and hangouts if ya like.

Edit: ehhh, I tell a small lie. One of the base terminals occasionally has a time limit where you send heroes out on assignments, but that is literally just a menu interaction that spits out a small reward.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 8, 2023