Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Yeah good luck sleeping, coughing, sneezing, laughing or even breathing properly for 2 months. Ribs are rough.
Also mirroring what others have said, being unconscious for that long is no joke, it might be worth thinking really hard about the kind of dirt biking you do. Not saying don't do it, just maybe on a slower bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow, glad you're OK for the most part, and it seems like there arent lasting issues in your brain (being a goon aside).

In summary

TotalLossBrain posted:

Wear good gear folks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

Anyways, a broken rib is miserable. I do not recommend it.

I broke a rib kart racing years ago and it was so loving painful to breathe I went from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day to cold turkey quitting in the space of a week. I don't wish that poo poo on anyone.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
poo poo, I just bruised a rib one time and it was hell.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jeez dude, glad your brain is ok and I'm sorry I made the obvious joke in the other thread, I hadn't read this one yet

Heal up!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Wow, glad you're OK for the most part, and it seems like there arent lasting issues in your brain (being a goon aside).

Pre-existing condition, sadly not covered by insurance

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bike gear:

Phy posted:

I bought that Astars convertible jacket about a month and a half ago. Fully zipped it's as warm as my old Tourmaster, and with the sleeves off it's almost as comfortable at today's 29C as my dedicated mesh.

Didnt come with back or chest armor, so I picked up the back armor today.

Update: however, the Halo Drystar doesn't seem to be water-resistant, save for what's inherent to any heavy, tightly woven synthetic fabric. I got poured on coming through Rogers Pass and wound up with wet arms before I decided to bite the bullet and put my rain gear on.

For the trip, I figured I'd try out the rain jacket that came with the Halo rather than my old, cheap frogg toggs, and it worked okay. It's meant to fit either over or under the main jacket. If you just want it for wind resistance or you get soaked, you can wear it under and not have wet fabric next to your skin, or if you're actually being proactive you can wear it over and keep your gear dry along with the rest of your torso.

Speaking of rain gear, any suggestions for overgloves? For a while I've been carrying nitrile gloves to wear under my Helds, so that even if they get soaked my hands stay relatively dry. But this does mean putting on wet gloves in the morning if I can't get them dried out, which is like shaking hands with Gollum.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Time for a new helmet. I got knocked the gently caress out for a couple minutes in the dirt today. Everything immediately before and after is just blank with decreasing fade as I get further away from it.

It's wild and I haven't got knocked out like that since I was a kid badly riding bicycles

Glad to hear you're OK. Ish. I have a klim F3 carbon that I like a lot.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Phy posted:

Speaking of rain gear, any suggestions for overgloves? For a while I've been carrying nitrile gloves to wear under my Helds, so that even if they get soaked my hands stay relatively dry. But this does mean putting on wet gloves in the morning if I can't get them dried out, which is like shaking hands with Gollum.

This is totally speculative but there are various mountaineering goretex overmitts that will just go over whatever gloves. I've never tried riding with mittens on, probably fine.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m tempted get an Apple Air Tag to hide in my bike. I know they’re so-so for security but I am waffling on whether it might be worth it for some peace of mind during a solo road trip I have planned for next week.

Worth it? Calm down, ya nerd?

I plan on doing all the things to keep the bike from being stolen in the first place, of course. Some locks, carefully parked, might bring a cover along for the hotel parking lots, and just never leaving it unattended. It would be in addition to, not instead of other behaviors.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If your bike gets stolen in the middle of a road trip how do you plan to track it down with no vehicle in a strange city?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Via police, I’d imagine.

AirTags are cheap and work well and are worth it if for no other reason than some peace of mind, go for it.

The other nice thing is if you get twisted around walking in a strange city, you can just track your bikes AirTag and get back to it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Get comprehensive insurance.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Get comprehensive insurance.

Already done before I even brought the bike home.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Geekboy posted:

Already done before I even brought the bike home.

If it's not a 1 of 5 hand built bike go ride and don't worry about it. And even if it was, go ride it

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Option B:

(Applies only to first floor motels and bikes that can clear the doorframe)

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The place I'm staying the longest is a tourist trap in the middle of nowhere and according to google maps street view, the parking lot is gravel.

I'm gonna take my dork rear end to Vulcan, babyyy.

I'm definitely just finding things to worry about.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Trek museum was pretty neat the last time I was there!

Consider checking out the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller if you're gonna be in southern AB if you haven't before, it's a world-class palaeontological museum with a huge collection of fossils (and replicas thereof). Mostly dinosaurs cause that's what brings the people in, but also a bunch of half-a-billion-year-old critters from the Burgess Shale among others.

This guy is sobering to be in the room with:

Drum's a couple hours north of Vulcan.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I will definitely try to give that a look. I’m sure Vulcan won’t give me 2 days of entertainment all by itself but I don’t want to overplan.

This is my first multi-day trip and first overnight where I wasn’t at least meeting someone somewhere. About 2,000 miles total over the course of about a week. I’m pretty stoked.

I’ve accepted that roughly half of the experience will be me seeing things and saying, “oh, man I’ve got to come back here and check that out” over and over and over again every 50 miles.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
My vacation money was burning a hole in my pocket so i ordered a set of previous gen klim marrakesh jacket and pants that was on sale. Will be interesting to see how they are vs my old mojave pants that are a little small and my old apex air. The apex air lacks a little air flow on the hottest days. I'll grab some more airy protectors also. I like the look of this one

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
This seems kind of exciting to me, a person who still hasn't bought a new helmet yet because I haven't signed up for any track days because my back and neck are tweaked from doing nothing and getting old.

https://hiconsumption.com/alpinestars-supertech-r10-helmet/

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

“Pricing for the regular and Launch Edition helmets have yet to be revealed.”

Any guesses?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
if you have to ask you can't afford it

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Hey goons, I'm out of the hospital. The concussion/brain bleed seems to have had no effect :downs:
My lung is reinflated and I'll have a couple months recovery ahead for the broken rib. Overall I'm doing pretty well all things considered.
I still don't know what happened. I looked at GPS data my phone was recording on Strava and found the crash. I slowed from 31mph to 10mph in about 7 seconds and then abruptly stopped and remained there for a couple minutes before riding off with my kid back to the car.
I found no visible damage on my helmet inside or out, nor on the bike (replacing the helmet, no worries).
There are no obvious bruises but I impacted with my right side - right 3rd rib broken, right lat muscle hurts like hell, brain bleed on the right temple, and I was found laying on my right side.
It's super frustrating to not know what happened. I don't consider myself to be a reckless rider and data seems to indicate a freak low speed accident.

I'm already gear shopping for a new helmet for myself and chest/back protectors for me and my two kids that ride with me. Looking strongly at the Klim Carbon F3 on the recommendation of a goon up-thread and the Leatt 5.5 chest protector.

I'm also delaying upgrading the youngest kid's KLX140. I think I'll be riding it for a while

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 22, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

TotalLossBrain posted:

Hey goons, I'm out of the hospital. The concussion/brain bleed seems to have had no effect :downs:
My lung is reinflated and I'll have a couple months recovery ahead for the broken rib. Overall I'm doing pretty well all things considered.
I still don't know what happened. I looked at GPS data my phone was recording on Strava and found the crash. I slowed from 31mph to 10mph in about 7 seconds and then abruptly stopped and remained there for a couple minutes before riding off with my kid back to the car.
I found no visible damage on my helmet inside or out, nor on the bike (replacing the helmet, no worries).
There are no obvious bruises but I impacted with my right side - right 3rd rib broken, right lat muscle hurts like hell, brain bleed on the right temple, and I was found laying on my right side.
It's super frustrating to not know what happened. I don't consider myself to be a reckless rider and data seems to indicate a freak low speed accident.

I'm already gear shopping for a new helmet for myself and chest/back protectors for me and my two kids that ride with me. Looking strongly at the Klim Carbon F3 on the recommendation of a goon up-thread and the Leatt 5.5 chest protector.

I'm also delaying upgrading the youngest kid's KLX140. I think I'll be riding it for a while

Will any of the Alpinestars TechAir products work for offroad/trail riding? Wouldn't protect your brain, but perhaps it might save you from breaking a rib.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I’m super happy to hear you don’t have a TBI. I work for an outpatient rehab place and they really work miracles but I’ve seen how much even just a concussion can gently caress up your life.

Stay safe, goon. Glad you’re upgrading gear and working out how to be safer.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Any recs for a helmet with great airflow and visibility? My Shoei GT-air, besides getting a bit long in the tooth, is pretty claustrophobic for city riding and with our summer temps (35-38°C with peaks up to 40 in the sun) it's terrible to ride with at low speeds: being sweaty, hot and with limited visibility isn't great, and heat fatigue, sweat in your eyes and poor awareness are very risky in city traffic.

I have a 3/4th helmet w/full face visor which I'm using but it doesn't feel very safe without a chin protector of some sort. The huge full face visor is awesome for visibility though, having a wide and clear field of view for spotting potholes and idiot pedestrians throwing themselves in your way is pretty much mandatory here. My rides are short (about 10 km in a day to get to work and back) and mostly urban these days, if I want to go on a weekend joyride out of town I have no issue with the GT-air.

Would something like these so-called "hybrid" helmets I found be better than a "classic" jet helmet for safety? They seem to maintain the things I need most - airflow and visibility - while having at least SOME kind of chin protection, removable or otherwise. I need my mouth to keep saying stupid things and wish to keep it intact.

https://shark-helmets.com/en_GB/products/citycruiser-citycruiser?pc-index=9

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n70-2-gt/

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n40-5-gt

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n30-4-vp

The last one specifically seems very well ventilated with huge grilles in the back where normal helmets usually just have 1-2 small extractors (doesn't have a sun visor though, I think due to airflow concerns - when "up" it would completely block the front vent holes looks like), but I'm still looking for more info to compare them to each other. I'm partial to Nolan and their premium brand X-Lite due to having good experience with those in the past (my wife has an X-lite helmet and loves it) and also being local as I'm in Italy, so easy to find anywhere and competitive prices, but I'm open to any suggestion. Thanks!

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 22, 2023

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

TorakFade posted:

Any recs for a helmet with great airflow and visibility? My Shoei GT-air, besides getting a bit long in the tooth, is pretty claustrophobic for city riding and with our summer temps (35-38°C with peaks up to 40 in the sun) it's terrible to ride with at low speeds: being sweaty, hot and with limited visibility isn't great, and heat fatigue, sweat in your eyes and poor awareness are very risky in city traffic.

I have a 3/4th helmet w/full face visor which I'm using but it doesn't feel very safe without a chin protector of some sort. The huge full face visor is awesome for visibility though, having a wide and clear field of view for spotting potholes and idiot pedestrians throwing themselves in your way is pretty much mandatory here. My rides are short (about 10 km in a day to get to work and back) and mostly urban these days, if I want to go on a weekend joyride out of town I have no issue with the GT-air.

Would something like these so-called "hybrid" helmets I found be better than a "classic" jet helmet for safety? They seem to maintain the things I need most - airflow and visibility - while having at least SOME kind of chin protection, removable or otherwise. I need my mouth to keep saying stupid things and wish to keep it intact.

https://shark-helmets.com/en_GB/products/citycruiser-citycruiser?pc-index=9

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n70-2-gt/

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n40-5-gt

https://www.nolan.it/en/caschi-hybrid/n30-4-vp

The last one specifically seems very well ventilated with huge grilles in the back where normal helmets usually just have 1-2 small extractors (doesn't have a sun visor though, I think due to airflow concerns - when "up" it would completely block the front vent holes looks like), but I'm still looking for more info to compare them to each other. I'm partial to Nolan and their premium brand X-Lite due to having good experience with those in the past (my wife has an X-lite helmet and loves it) and also being local as I'm in Italy, so easy to find anywhere and competitive prices, but I'm open to any suggestion. Thanks!

I bought my Nolan for exactly the same reasons, and if all you are doing is city riding, then they're all going to work great. The highway high speed performance is quite the opposite, unfortunately. There is very little noise mitigation, and all those plastic removable bits add some creaking and whistling. But you need to go fast enough to notice. But you do get incredible visibility and many removable swappable parts , including chin protection that's ECE rated like a full face helmet.

I traded my helmet to a friend who does mostly off-road and city riding, he loves it dearly.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
I'm sure I'll get told off for this, but I wear my shoei Mx helmet a lot in the summer. Not for high speed rides but when it's warm and you're in town the airflow is great. Also easy to hear what's going on around you.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

Glad to hear you're OK and you didnt break your brain.

Losing time is super frustrating. The feeling of waking up and not knowing how you got in the situation you're in (or what that situation even is) is equal parts terrifying and frustrating. I feel you on that one

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Any chance the brain injury/bleed actually happened before the crash? No obvious damage makes me wonder if the bleeding was what caused the accident, not the other way around.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's certainly possible but also impossible to say. I have no history of anything like this in my 45 years.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

My new Arai Defiant-X has so much better ventilation and visibility than my LS2 Valiant II that I feel like it’s a contender but I also realize this is partially me having a honeymoon period with my first “real” helmet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I picked up that Icon Airflite and as long as I'm moving the ventilation is fantastic coolest full face I've ever used. Does get warm at stoplights though when the ambient air is 100 degrees.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Shelvocke posted:

I'm sure I'll get told off for this, but I wear my shoei Mx helmet a lot in the summer. Not for high speed rides but when it's warm and you're in town the airflow is great. Also easy to hear what's going on around you.

afaik the shoei MX stuff is snell rated for street use

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

TotalLossBrain posted:

Thanks. I went to a local hospital last night and because they found a brain bleed, they transferred me via ambulance to the closest hospital with a neurosurgeon, which is in Portland.
They kept me in ICU overnight because of the brain bleed. Further imaging has shown this is not a concern any longer.
The local hospital had gotten a chest drain tube going to release the air from the collapsed lung out.
Anyways, a broken rib is miserable. I do not recommend it.

Couple days late but holy poo poo man, glad you’re mostly intact but wow. I hope you heal up alright quickly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I found no visible damage on my helmet inside or out

Glad you're going to be okay! No visible damage on the helmet seems weird, if nothing else I'd expect a scuff or ding from an impact hard enough to concuss. Maybe feel around the inside and see if you can find a spot of styrofoam that feels compressed?

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Head injuries often look like nothing from the outside because the damage is caused by the grey matter sloshing about inside the brain box. For example, most injuries to the frontal lobe come from impacts to the back of the head.
Helmets might arrest you pretty well on impact and prevent compression injuries but you can still do yourself major harm without damaging your skull

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MetaJew posted:

Will any of the Alpinestars TechAir products work for offroad/trail riding? Wouldn't protect your brain, but perhaps it might save you from breaking a rib.

I think A* is what they wear in Dakar. Klim also has an off road version. And there's the tried and true helite tether that is what I'd probably do because of money and ease of re-use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I got some new gear today at CG in Vancouver.

Fox L1 helmet, which is a step up from my old ONeal.
DOT/ECE/whatever and MIPS.
I'm glad I was able to try different sizes. I thought for sure the L would be good but the M fits more snuggly without being uncomfortable.
I also got goggles which is a first for me because I wear prescription glasses. These googles fit over them.
Lastly, this chest protector was on sale and in my size.