Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shiroc posted:

The cats having humanoid forms and the crows being fairies were in the Dreams arc. Stars added them all being from other planets.

Ah right, Stars is still weird though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, unless they decide to adapt the sequel at some point the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot is coming to a close next week.

Out of curiosity then, aside from Mint being part of the team from the start did this version actually change anything from the manga or was it basically just a straight adaption otherwise?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And back to Precure, with a new toy inevitably comes a new leak:

Another soundbyte for Cure Majesty was recently found on the Colorful Action Mix Palette and data within the toy confirms she’s Purple (which in this case actually makes sense for once given her name, who she likely is, and the fact that the Cures this time are all based on the various colors of the sky)

https://twitter.com/Grace_Nodoka/status/1667822700667219968

If she does turn out to be Elle as most of the evidence seems to be pointing towards it might be possible that Hirogaru Sky just won’t have a mascot character (besides, they‘ve still got bird Tsubasa to fall back on as far as marketable plushies go)

To cement her identity even further, Majesty’s roll call apparently translates to "The Mysterious Noble All Grown Up! Cure Majesty!"

https://twitter.com/Grace_Nodoka/status/1668114399012483077?t=c1RvLl7n3-aZGgb05ppMpQ&s=19

The roll call in question:

https://youtube.com/shorts/59qiiBeZR7w

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
(There’s a new PV out but am putting things in spoilers just in case)

I know that it breaks a few things but I’m actually kind of pleasantly surprised that (character spoiler for the Sailor Moon Cosmos movie part 2?) Sailor Cosmos is voiced by a “new” actress who is a big call back to a previous series. I know there are people who will likely be upset by it but it’s not like Usagi won’t be talking to herself in multiple scenes anyways and it’s a callback to a time that I figured Toei liked to pretend doesn’t exist.

Though, if we’re going to be picky, I could see people being more understanding if they had chosen Usagi’s PGSM actress as the VA instead of Rei’s but the people unhappy about the decision won’t likely care whoever they picked anyways.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean from a cosmic perspective PGSM Rei having a philosophical argument with The OG Usagi about ending all causality to prevent darkness from unwhriling it's banner across the cosmos is valid as any series gag.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean from a cosmic perspective PGSM Rei having a philosophical argument with The OG Usagi about ending all causality to prevent darkness from unwhriling it's banner across the cosmos is valid as any series gag.

Yeah, as much as I’d love to see the two Usagis arguing this is just as good

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, unless they decide to adapt the sequel at some point the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot is coming to a close next week.

Out of curiosity then, aside from Mint being part of the team from the start did this version actually change anything from the manga or was it basically just a straight adaption otherwise?

Even though I dropped off early on into S1 other than catching a random episode on TV when I was in Japan, it seemed like a pretty straight manga adaptation to me overall barring that one change. I think it'll be the preferred anime version to recommend over the original as that got quite filler-y between major plot beats. But I also watched that at a rate of maybe one episode every 3 months or however long the fansubs took to come out back then, and in an arbitrary order as I think the one group working on it prioritized plot episodes.

Seiyal posted:

(There’s a new PV out but am putting things in spoilers just in case)

I know that it breaks a few things but I’m actually kind of pleasantly surprised that (character spoiler for the Sailor Moon Cosmos movie part 2?) Sailor Cosmos is voiced by a “new” actress who is a big call back to a previous series. I know there are people who will likely be upset by it but it’s not like Usagi won’t be talking to herself in multiple scenes anyways and it’s a callback to a time that I figured Toei liked to pretend doesn’t exist.

Though, if we’re going to be picky, I could see people being more understanding if they had chosen Usagi’s PGSM actress as the VA instead of Rei’s but the people unhappy about the decision won’t likely care whoever they picked anyways.

Well ain't that interesting. I have a friend whose entry into Sailor Moon was PGSM and it's also their favorite adaptation of the material, should tell them about this.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I recently learned there was a second Mew Mew sequel besides A La Mode called 2020 Return, was that one any good?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS20: This week Mashiro is inspired by Elle to be a children’s book author, Ageha takes a second job at Pretty Holic (which explains why it’s in the ED), we get our first 4 way transformation, we get a Ranborg that no sells the group’s finishers until Ageha powers up Sora, and Hibiki plays us out.

As an aside, has the actress playing Ageha’s co-worker Natsumi been in the series before? Her voice sounds realły familiar to me for some reason

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've been rewatching Sailor Moon R and I did the DiCaprio point meme when I got to the scene that one of the genga I have came from

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 18, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

For the opening of Cosmos they brought back the classic 90’s theme as covered by the Crystal VAs for the main cast:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nvjsOZXRoKs

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

That's cool.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

New key visual for Yes Precure 5 sequel -

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1671097829060919297

And....Saki and Mai are in it. That's...a shock for sure. Also Rin looks amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So this is going to be a Splash Star crossover too? That’s unexpected but cool nonetheless (now I’m kind of curious if Nagisa and Honoka are going to pop up as well)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jun 20, 2023

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot has come to a close, that was alright for the most part though I assume it was just a straight adaptation of the manga aside from Mint being part of the team before Ichigo.

I wonder if they’ll ever bother adapting either of the manga sequels

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I dunno anything about this genre, if I want something action-y what else should I look at besides Symphogear and Slayers? Cuz those are the only two I know about. I'm reading Magilumiere Co. Ltd. but I don't know what other anime I should check out.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 24, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mahoujin Guru Guru is very enjoyable if you liked Slayers. Also Flip Flappers, if you can look beyond some dubious bits.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 24, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RareAcumen posted:

I dunno anything about this genre, if I want something action-y what else should I look at besides Symphogear and Slayers? Cuz those are the only two I know about. I'm reading Magilumiere Co. Ltd. but I don't know what other anime I should check out.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica and the movie Rebellion
Various seasons of Precure

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If you don't mind files Nanoha especially in the later seasons is the closest thing to matching Magilumere's vibe of corporate/worker magical girls

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fangz posted:

Mahoujin Guru Guru is very enjoyable if you liked Slayers. Also Flip Flappers, if you can look beyond some dubious bits.

Those were just the only examples I have besides Madoka Magica. I've only seen maybe two episodes of Slayers so far. My general genre knowledge is very shallow. Like, I assumed Sailor Moon was like an OG Dragon Ball series but it leaned 70% comedy to 30% action.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

If you don't mind files Nanoha especially in the later seasons is the closest thing to matching Magilumere's vibe of corporate/worker magical girls

Recommend anything, I have no idea what's out there, so I can't judge on what's good or not. I assumed Precure was like Little Witch Academia and not really combat focused. Magilumere's just the only Magical Girl thing I'm following aside from having started playing Blue Reflection Second Light two days ago. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Those were just the only examples I have besides Madoka Magica. I've only seen maybe two episodes of Slayers so far. My general genre knowledge is very shallow. Like, I assumed Sailor Moon was like an OG Dragon Ball series but it leaned 70% comedy to 30% action.

Recommend anything, I have no idea what's out there, so I can't judge on what's good or not. I assumed Precure was like Little Witch Academia and not really combat focused. Magilumere's just the only Magical Girl thing I'm following aside from having started playing Blue Reflection Second Light two days ago. :v:

Not entirely sure how you could have come to that conclusion, Precure is basically magical girl Super Sentai minus the giant robots

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

Not entirely sure how you could have come to that conclusion, Precure is basically magical girl Super Sentai minus the giant robots

Except for that one episode of Smile. More Precure should have giant robot episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Except for that one episode of Smile. More Precure should have giant robot episodes.

True, that was one of my top favorite episodes of any season (the volleyball episode of Healin Good is also up there along with the wig episode of Fresh and the Tropical Rouge episode that was just a bunch of shorts, Precure should go balls to the wall crazy like that more often honestly)

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

True, that was one of my top favorite episodes of any season (the volleyball episode of Healin Good is also up there along with the wig episode of Fresh and the Tropical Rouge episode that was just a bunch of shorts, Precure should go balls to the wall crazy like that more often honestly)

I don't know if anything will top that episode of Hugtto where Ruru and Emiru go on wacky adventures at the grocery store.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

I don't know if anything will top that episode of Hugtto where Ruru and Emiru go on wacky adventures at the grocery store.

Oh yeah, that was good too. Anyway….

HS21: This week we learn Ageha hates peppers (without the right seasoning at least), Tsubasa has a future as a weatherman, scientist, and/or artist, and the Pallete can also freeze things. Some lackluster animation in parts but the fight made up for it. Also the mirror is now almost full of energy and Tsubomi takes us out

Next Time: poo poo gets real as the Skyland plot comes back into play

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Larryb posted:

It's pretty easy. I saw one screenshot

And that's the end of the story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It's pretty easy. I saw one screenshot

And that's the end of the story.

Ah, you must have seen a shot of the witch season then. Every season has a different theme, cast and setting (except for two direct sequels early on)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Larryb posted:

And the Tokyo Mew Mew reboot has come to a close, that was alright for the most part though I assume it was just a straight adaptation of the manga aside from Mint being part of the team before Ichigo.

I wonder if they’ll ever bother adapting either of the manga sequels

So having now finished Tokyo Mew Mew New and then done a little bit of looking/skimming of the manga it looks like the anime HEAVILY expanded on the source material. It's not that much of a surprise in hindsight given the short length and thin content per chapter (I've seen 4komas that include more plot than the chapters of TMM I read), but from a quick glance it seems that drat near every episode starring Mint and Zakuro after their debuts are anime original, as is the episode where Lettuce gets a chunk of back story about the aliens, and the storylines they did directly adapt were massively fleshed out. The thing that tipped me off to look this up in the first place is that I'd read a couple of summaries of how the manga ended and it did not go like that at all.

To provide detail, the entire climax the storyline where Ichigo and Aoyama reach out to Deep Blue and come to an understanding with him and release the Mew Aqua to terraform the alien's planet is wholly original, as are a bunch of details around it like him opening a portal, Pie attacking Deep Blue, and the friendship beam clash at the end. The original manga was way more Sailor Moon, in there Deep Blue was completely unrepentant and Aoyama kills himself to stop him and release the Mew Aqua to fix Tokyo, leading to Ichigo then sacrifice her own life to revive Aoyama who then revives her with his Mew Aqua tears. The aliens are then handed a chunk of Mew Aqua the cast found to fix their planet and leave. Speaking only for myself? I much preferred the take the anime went with. It fit the overall tone of the show a lot better, and I'm also going to give a thumbs up to the series in general for actually using the rest of the cast and also giving them cool sendoff fights. In the manga the big secondary cast final fight was about two pages long.

I still don't believe I would call it a particularly great series, heck it barely clears the hurdle of "okay". I liked the cast and characters on the whole, but a lot of it still feels very dated, not the least that the show was very bad at putting over its protagonists. The Blue Knight did a lot to indirectly bury Ichigo and the rest of the cast were not particularly put over by the second season. Coming from the other side of precure the whole thing definitely feels its age. I can definitely see why it fell by the wayside, but time makes us nostalgic for drat near anything doesn't it?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RareAcumen posted:

Basically every Precure episode contains a battle with a villain or monster, and most of these battles are fistfights. This is the kind of thing you can expect, though they don't always have this much animation budget to play with.
https://twitter.com/Precure_sakuga/status/1671821831614128130

The Nanoha shows also tend to be action-heavy, though the vibe varies substantially from entry to entry. The first couple seasons and the movies are big on personal combat with magic weapons, the third season (StrikerS) skips like fifteen years in the future and covers the main characters who've grown up and joined the magic military, and the ViVid seasons are basically just a martial arts series with some magical girl elements.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

precure was born from getting shonen animators/directors to do magical girl stuff, its always been pretty action heavy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

precure was born from getting shonen animators/directors to do magical girl stuff, its always been pretty action heavy

Hell, the original director (who could technically be referred to as the true “father” of Precure and still has a slight role in the franchise to this day) was a Dragon Ball alumni and never worked on a magical girl series before (which ironically had a lot to do with how the series turned out to be how it is)

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The original series still stands out from other Precure as it's fighting is very much just punching/kicking till the finisher and that the director was going for a buddy cop series. Honoka and Nagisa are very much equals and that's rare for Magical Girl/Sentai/Rider

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also if I recall correctly Precure’s success was mostly a happy accident and Futari Wa was originally supposed to be just another one and done magical girl series (and it kind of shows during the back half). Instead it’s now arguably replaced Metal Hero as Toei’s third big toku adjacent series after Rider and Sentai

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I don't think it was ever officially confirmed the general story going around is that the series before Precure (Nadja) bomber either ratings or toy sales wise (or both) and the decision came down from top to pivot to a magical girl series and they couldn't really run it through the usual layers of screening a kids show would get. It's also why it feels like the series could end at the mid point since the feeling was the time slot could be in jeopardy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vizuyos posted:

Basically every Precure episode contains a battle with a villain or monster, and most of these battles are fistfights. This is the kind of thing you can expect, though they don't always have this much animation budget to play with.
https://twitter.com/Precure_sakuga/status/1671821831614128130

The Nanoha shows also tend to be action-heavy, though the vibe varies substantially from entry to entry. The first couple seasons and the movies are big on personal combat with magic weapons, the third season (StrikerS) skips like fifteen years in the future and covers the main characters who've grown up and joined the magic military, and the ViVid seasons are basically just a martial arts series with some magical girl elements.

Endorph posted:

Well hot drat I had no idea. I saw a screen shot of something that looked like this

And just assumed it was a comedy anime that was in a good spot of less exaggerated than Nichijou or Pop Team Epic. When I wasn't getting it mixed up with Promare which I knew would definitely be actiony because Trigger seems to stick to that genre from the things I've seen of them. Well I'll certainly try and make an effort to check it out now that I know better!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Heartcatch PreCure is generally the one people recommend to start with, it's got a pretty good mix of action, plot, and episodic comedy/character development.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RareAcumen posted:

Well hot drat I had no idea. I saw a screen shot of something that looked like this

And just assumed it was a comedy anime that was in a good spot of less exaggerated than Nichijou or Pop Team Epic. When I wasn't getting it mixed up with Promare which I knew would definitely be actiony because Trigger seems to stick to that genre from the things I've seen of them. Well I'll certainly try and make an effort to check it out now that I know better!

So the funny thing is that said picture is from Tropical Rouge Precure, which is a very comedically focused Precure seasons (right down to having an episode that was basically a just giant shitpost), but also that team of Magical Girls right there? About 10 seconds after that group shot they're going to start punching and kicking a giant monster in its face because the Tropical Rouge girls ABSOLUTELY threw hands when trouble came knocking.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

We really didn't deserve Tropical Rouge. Laura was too good a character for us to handle.

Also ditto on starting with Heartcatch, it's my favorite season of Precure and a top 5 all time favorite anime. Can't recommend it enough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Splash Star, Fresh, Suite (my personal favorite season), Smile, Go Princess, and the current season Hirogaru Sky are also decent starting points in my opinion (though the last one does uproot a lot of long running series traditions)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RareAcumen posted:

To give a couple more details. Pretty Cure seasons tend to share a formula,

Series tend to have a theme and motif. For Tropical Rogue for example the themes are Motivation and Responsibility, and the motif is tropical, marine life, and cosmetics.

A series will normally have between 3 and 5 main Cures with the primary normally being the pink one. An extra cure or two will normally join the cast close to the series midpoint.

The Cures are normally joined by one or more fairy or animal companions.

The cures will be opposing a villain faction who are themed in opposition to the shows theme. For Tropical Rogue again as example. The villains are the Servants of the Witch of Delays. Sea Creature servants (Crab Chef, Slug Physician, Shrimp Maid, and Seahorse Butler). who try to sap the motivation out of people, each having a lazy trait.

Villain Generals will normally try and accomplish their objective by summoning a monster who are only capable of saying the name of the monster type, that will fuel itself by possessing a object or person.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 26, 2023