Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i hope alzheimer's martial arts grandpa manga does well. i'm a sucker for those stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, I really liked that first chapter. But pretty much anything with elder-care will hit me hard.

Best first chapter in a while I think.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I'm one of the dipshits that actually kinda liked Neru, so I'm also hoping that Asumi gets a decent shake.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

panko posted:

service wars makes me guffaw every chapter

Didn't realize that Service Wars was from the Mitama Security guy. Would have started reading it much sooner.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, how’s the Mashie anime so far out of curiosity?

It's ok
The pacing of the show kinda kills the brisk and fun pacing of the manga but I'm not sure how to keep that in due to the format differences?

There's also an element where the localization of the manga I think has more jokes in it or translates them more in a way that lines up less literally and more to the meaning? Bamboo guy basically lost his entire gimmick with mixing sports cliches one after the other with stupid puns and a lot of incidental one liner jokes like Dot going "just what kinda stuff am I into...?" after seeing doll lemon are just gone

In exchange it has pretty decent animation and a fun soundtrack which features a guy goin RE-REAL TRAP poo poo, TRAP poo poo

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 19, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I really do need them to release the soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmLFyD-9iKs

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I'm one of the dipshits that actually kinda liked Neru, so I'm also hoping that Asumi gets a decent shake.

The problem with Neru was the lack of true drama (either the protagonist-driven or the antagonist-driven kind); it was about people who wanted to become strong for no particular reason. Asumi gives its characters a lot more depth, even in the first chapter.

Part of this is Asumi being set in something resembling the "real world" rather than a vaguely-defined secret subculture of "cinematic" martial artists.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 19, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Asumi seems to mix histories strongest disciple Kenichi and Neru. Pretty solid first chapter.

SpacePig posted:

I liked Neru in the beginning but stopped caring halfway into its run. Because everyone looked the same and there wasn’t much tension. Not to mention they forgot some of the (in my opinion ) more interesting hooks like how he couldn’t study at all but was able to study by combining it with MA.

Sakamoto this week was great. I love Heisuke and Piisuke.

Mashle Continental Kickboard, obviously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
asumi seems to be addressing neru's many problems right from the start. it's doing a good job of making the mc appealing, at least.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Wonderslug posted:

The reduction ad absurdam:

Confucianism: you should be virtuous, which includes things like honoring your parents (but your father more than your mother because lol women amirite), and by extension the state, your metaphorical father. Tradition is all-important. It is extremely traditional that you put Confucianists in high offices bee tee dubs.

Legalism: you should obey the law in exchange for fabulous prizes, such as promotions or not having this assortment of sharp objects inserted into your tender flesh.

Ok I figured as much but wanted to make sure thanks

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I started reading akane-banashi but it’s basically a fighting manga transplanted into rakugo and I’m not as into it as I am other performance or art-based manga like show-ha shoten, oshi no ko, blue period, act-age, bakuman etc.. it’s ok but I haven’t been gripped yet by chapter 20ish, and her dad is basically treated as if he’s dead by the narrative

panko fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 19, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

panko posted:

I started reading akane-banashi but it’s basically a fighting manga transplanted into rakugo and I’m not as into it as I am other performance or art-based manga like show-ha shoten, oshi no ko, blue period, act-age, bakuman etc.. it’s ok but I haven’t been gripped yet by chapter 20ish, and her dad is basically treated as if he’s dead by the narrative

Have you watched/read Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu? If you haven't, I can highly recommend both seasons of the anime (which covers the full story)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’ll give it a read, thanks for the recommendation

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

panko posted:

The characters acting as though the dad is dead is definitely weird, but a recent chapter acknowledged how weird it is, so it's not unintentional.

Akane-banashi also lacks Bakuman's insufferable and sexist "romantic" subplot, so it has that going for it, at least! Also, I believe that many of the fighting manga elements (like the genin/chunin/jonin ranks) are pretty much how rakugo works in real life; it has a lot of odd traditions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Both Akane-banashi and Show-ha Shoten are absolute top-tier "performance 'sports'" manga IMO. I'd rank them both above Bakuman (I feel like Oshi no Ko isn't really the same genre, though).

I like Show-ha Shoten a little bit more, but that's mostly just because I find the performance art in question easier to understand. I also think it does a really exceptional job of coming up with routines for the characters (which must be a pretty huge challenge - it's much harder than communicating something like sports or singing in manga form, since you have to actually both write the jokes *and* communicate their performance). I wonder if that's part of why it has a monthly release schedule. Akane-banashi definitely has an easier time in this regard since most of the stories already exist (it's kinda a bit like classical music in this regard, where it's largely about performing from a repertoire).

Also the Show-ha Shoten protagonist is Literally The Same Guy as the Dandadan protagonist, which is very funny to me.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

oshi no ko is a hodgepodge of several disparate, popular genres (in a way that feels way more market-researched and deliberate than most manga, probably because the characters put work into researching what audiences respond to in the text) but it very frequently delves into the nitty-gritty of what makes a performance/ performer/work exceptional, the psychology of art and entertainment, and the push/pull of doing something for the audience vs. for yourself, so it delivers what I want from this theme without giving me the feeling that I’m reading a battle manga like akane-banashi does

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I love Show-Ha Shoten but weirdly don't find many of the performances very funny. I just don't think I'm a very big fan of the Manzai style of comedy, but I love the writing and characters in the series and it's great seeing the acts they come up with.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Yeah, I'm guessing that the cousin is seeing Gero trying to find a marriage partner as him kowtowing to the head of family and is not too happy about it, because he hoped that Gero would just murder them instead.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I appreciate Show-ha Shoten and Akane-banashi but Akane-banashi is my uncontested favorite of the two, especially in terms of giving me the reader a textual facsimile of the experience of the audiences seeing these performers. And that's including the fact both of them recently had a "dealing with being broadcast" angle.

Also the father non grata makes sense to me, he was disgraced and the protagonist is going on her hero's journey. There's plenty more to appreciate from the rest of the cast.

Everyone who's missing is training with King Kai, there's too much going on with Namek to look back.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Space Fish posted:

Also the father non grata makes sense to me, he was disgraced and the protagonist is going on her hero's journey. There's plenty more to appreciate from the rest of the cast.

Everyone who's missing is training with King Kai, there's too much going on with Namek to look back.

I think it's more that there's a lot of potential character developments / interactions that could be happening between them that unfortunately don't happen. I think she still lives with her parents, right? Even if not, she still presumably sees / talks with them relatively often. I have to think that at SOME point she'd want to talk with her dad about the career choice he inspired in her. If she doesn't talk to him about it, it could be a good show of her character WHY she doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

So far the story has mostly treated him like he's deceased or non-existent, which is just kind of a strange choice.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

CodfishCartographer posted:

I think it's more that there's a lot of potential character developments / interactions that could be happening between them that unfortunately don't happen. I think she still lives with her parents, right? Even if not, she still presumably sees / talks with them relatively often. I have to think that at SOME point she'd want to talk with her dad about the career choice he inspired in her. If she doesn't talk to him about it, it could be a good show of her character WHY she doesn't feel comfortable doing so.

So far the story has mostly treated him like he's deceased or non-existent, which is just kind of a strange choice.

The current competition roster does include a Rakugo Dad, and Akane is explicitly performing something her dad did that's a bad fit for her rakugo power levels, so there are almost certainly going to be some flashbacks in the future.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

yeah it’s this

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

I think there's a deliberate choice for the series to focus on Akane's life in rakugo; as you said, she still lives with her parents and presumably interacts with them normally, but we're 66 chapters in and have barely seen them or anyone else who's not in the business (the guy friend from early on who I thought was a potential love interest has also sorta disappeared). The series only cares about people involved in rakugo, and Akane's dad is being left out because he's not involved in rakugo anymore.

I don't disagree that there's some stuff that needs to be explored between the two of them (and Akane taking on something her dad did is probably a window into that), but with him having been ousted, I wonder if he told her to not talk to him about rakugo. That'd explain a bit of the divide between them, because she clearly still holds him in high regard

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: Yeah, I'm guessing that the cousin is seeing Gero trying to find a marriage partner as him kowtowing to the head of family and is not too happy about it, because he hoped that Gero would just murder them instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cousin wants the whole clan to die which is why he's trying to push Gero this hard. If Gero doesn't kill him, he'll likely take out the clan himself after this fight.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I always thought Akane's dad is now working as a salaryman for a company and his work has him going away for long periods of time. Like, he's still alive as a person but as a rakugoka he's very much treated as dead because him no longer being able to perform was a tragic loss for Akane. The author shows that they put a lot of thought in how they write the series that Akane's dad not being there feels very much like a deliberate choice. I have faith that the author will bring back Akane's dad in the best time possible.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
In the past ten chapters like three or four of them have been entirely about her relationship with her father and his history. She literally flat out explained why she doesn't feel like she ought to talk to him about rakugo stuff like two or three chapters ago.

Like yeah we haven't seen on camera, saying "So Akane, my daughter, here are my thoughts about rakugo, a thing we have in common," but she was pretty clear about why that's not something she's comfortable addressing head on.

Storywise, she's basically treating him like the goal of her personal quest, and structurally that's a bit hard to sell if we see him just chilling in the living room with a bag of chips and a beer.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I read further into akane-banashi and I’m entertained but that’s because I like ippo, kenichi, holyland, kengan, meguru, teppu, baki…

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

also my criticism of the lack of her father’s presence is from the first 25 chapters, and I’m currently at 51. all this time her dad’s absence has been palpable

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm still not convinced that the bad-guys in Magilumiere haven't been realpolitiking behind the scenes to get their way on this one.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One other difference that comes to mind between Akane-banashi and Show-ha Shoten (that isn't really a positive or negative on either end, just a difference) is that Akane-banashi definitely goes deeper into giving extra abstraction/stylization to the performances. The reason for this is pretty clear - similar to an art like singing or dancing, it's difficult to really communicate if it's being done well in comic format, so you need to resort to lots of fanciful/abstract imagery to communicate things like "this person is doing an great job of acting out this role." Show-ha Shoten, on the other hand, involves an art that is mostly defined by its actual content, rather than just the "performance" of that content. This makes things both easier and harder for the author - on one hand, they actually need to come up with the jokes/skits, but because of that they can more directly show the performance, instead of needing to rely on other methods to communicate its quality to the reader.

I would actually compare Akane-banashi more with a performing arts manga like Welcome to the Ballroom, while Show-ha Shoten is more similar to many sports manga (despite being about a performing art). They both share various elements, but end up emphasizing different things.

I love Show-Ha Shoten but weirdly don't find many of the performances very funny. I just don't think I'm a very big fan of the Manzai style of comedy, but I love the writing and characters in the series and it's great seeing the acts they come up with.

I feel like it kinda requires a familiarity with various elements of the way Japanese works in general as a language (hard to describe exactly what I mean, but I'm referring to stuff like the general tempo/tone of the language). Like there are certain things that, when said, can come off as funnier-sounding in Japanese than in English (like a phrase being more short/abrupt in Japanese, or something like that). So when I read the skits I'm trying to imagine how they would sound in Japanese (with varying levels of success - I'm not completely fluent so sometimes stuff still goes over my head). And there's also just a large cultural element. I've been reading/watching stuff like this for most of my life now, so it feels familiar to me, but when I read (for example) Chinese webtoons, there's often humor that feels sort of alien to me, so I imagine the same thing can apply to certain types of Japanese humor.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finished Hell's Paradise. I kinda liked it better when it was more of a weird adventure story and less of a battle serial, but it kept my attention through to the end. The main cast was pretty alright, though I sure am never gonna remember most of these bad guys.

Also, Fuchi best.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Finished Hell's Paradise. I kinda liked it better when it was more of a weird adventure story and less of a battle serial, but it kept my attention through to the end. The main cast was pretty alright, though I sure am never gonna remember most of these bad guys.

Also, Fuchi best.

I was not a fan of Having to repeat taking out the 5 tao flower people but a 2nd time with Shugen's forces added on. That alone dragged the story on for not much gain and they could have just gone right to stopping the boats from leaving and dusting off Shugen and the remaining ninjas. I do agree that the story was more in its groove when it was more about exploration and being hunted on buddhist/shinto monster island. Tao kind of mucked things up because everyone needed it to be relevant.

But overall I liked the characters and the art enough to plow through the more boring parts of the story, even while it was ongoing.

Fuchi is indeed the best.

I still think Ayashimon was given a raw loving deal

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Show-ha Shoten is really weird for me because I don't really like Manzai and despite the herculean efforts of the translator very little of the humor lands with me, but the whole process of putting together an act and how all the different performers find their in with the audience is fun.

Oshi No Ko bored me to tears and I dropped it despite it's subject being easier to get than a type of comedy routine I don't like nor easily get as someone who doesn't natively speak Japanese.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I kinda just fell off Oshi No Ko after like a dozen chapters or so, cus the characters just acted so unbelievable to me. I've tried to pick it up a few times since but only get a chapter or two before just losing interest and forgetting to read more.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Shinji2015 posted:

I think there's a deliberate choice for the series to focus on Akane's life in rakugo; as you said, she still lives with her parents and presumably interacts with them normally, but we're 66 chapters in and have barely seen them or anyone else who's not in the business (the guy friend from early on who I thought was a potential love interest has also sorta disappeared). The series only cares about people involved in rakugo, and Akane's dad is being left out because he's not involved in rakugo anymore.

I don't disagree that there's some stuff that needs to be explored between the two of them (and Akane taking on something her dad did is probably a window into that), but with him having been ousted, I wonder if he told her to not talk to him about rakugo. That'd explain a bit of the divide between them, because she clearly still holds him in high regard
There was also the teacher who looked like she was getting more into and invested in Rakugo as well as Akane's friends who appear on some chapter covers and had like one or two appearances before never being seen again(they announced to Akane that her performance had gone viral on Twitter). I love the series, bur it really feels like nothing outside of Rakugo exists and even then it feels like it's all high stakes and big venues when the shaves head senpai mentioned that it's not always those types of venues and mentions elementary schools and prisons amongst others. I'd have liked to see how Akane fares with audience that would be more...not hostile, but less relaxed like a bunch of hyper kids. Series is great, but it really feels like it's on Speedrun any % mode at times.

I kinda just fell off Oshi No Ko after like a dozen chapters or so, cus the characters just acted so unbelievable to me. I've tried to pick it up a few times since but only get a chapter or two before just losing interest and forgetting to read more.
I bounced off Kaguya-sama for not too disimilar reasons. Pretty much anything to do with Kaguya's family drama and the stuff surrounding it was just tedious at best.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oshi no Ko has an issue I've seen pop up occasionally in (for lack of a better description) "idol-related media." I mentioned it in one post in the thread for it, but didn't want to harp on it because that'd be kind of annoying and I don't want to be a downer (and I don't think Oshi no Ko is the worst offender in this regard either - it's perfectly readable as just a "murder mystery thriller with fantasy elements").

Basically the issue I have is that stories like this take a sort of "semi-realistic" view of the idol industry that, IMO, ends up just supporting it in a different way. Rather than the more "straight" view of the industry ("idols are cool and love their fans, etc"), it instead takes a view akin to "idols are badass professionals and it sucks when fans or the media treat them badly." But, in the end, the latter still supports the industry (just in a different way). To the extent that villains exist in such stories, they are very rarely the actual idol producers/companies - usually it's the media or lovely fans who are framed as the "bad guys." Focus is rarely put on the actual issue of these literal children being exploited by idol agencies, and they're instead portrayed as badass entertainment professionals to grant a sense of agency that doesn't actually exist in real life (at least for the underage ones).

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

doomrider7 posted:

There was also the teacher who looked like she was getting more into and invested in Rakugo as well as Akane's friends who appear on some chapter covers and had like one or two appearances before never being seen again(they announced to Akane that her performance had gone viral on Twitter). I love the series, bur it really feels like nothing outside of Rakugo exists and even then it feels like it's all high stakes and big venues when the shaves head senpai mentioned that it's not always those types of venues and mentions elementary schools and prisons amongst others. I'd have liked to see how Akane fares with audience that would be more...not hostile, but less relaxed like a bunch of hyper kids. Series is great, but it really feels like it's on Speedrun any % mode at times.

I barely remember the teacher and completely forgot about her friends, lol

But it is a weird choice, because the series has pointed out a couple of times that one of Akane's big problems as a performer is that she lacks real life experiences that she could draw on to enhance her work (due to both her age and her singular focus on rakugo), yet Akane hasn't done much to correct that so far (other than a part-time job and a fake date). But that may mean that there's a "training" arc coming that is just Akane doing anything but rakugo.

Ytlaya posted:

Basically the issue I have is that stories like this take a sort of "semi-realistic" view of the idol industry that, IMO, ends up just supporting it in a different way. Rather than the more "straight" view of the industry ("idols are cool and love their fans, etc"), it instead takes a view akin to "idols are badass professionals and it sucks when fans or the media treat them badly." But, in the end, the latter still supports the industry (just in a different way). To the extent that villains exist in such stories, they are very rarely the actual idol producers/companies - usually it's the media or lovely fans who are framed as the "bad guys." Focus is rarely put on the actual issue of these literal children being exploited by idol agencies, and they're instead portrayed as badass entertainment professionals to grant a sense of agency that doesn't actually exist in real life (at least for the underage ones).

I haven't read Oshi no Ko, but it kinda sounds like it's afraid to rock the boat too much with its criticism going by this

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I haven't read any of Oshi No Ko, but I'm not entirely sure if it was intended to be as cutting to the idol industry as Jennette McCurdy's book; I'm Glad My Mom Died was towards Nickelodeon and more specifically Dan Schneider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oshi no ko is very good and pretty critical of the entertainment industry imo. It is perhaps less focused on "idol industry" critique than it is on including idols into its general criticism of the entertainment industry at large and it is very sympathetic to the performers themselves but I don't think that's a poor stance to have.

It doesn't really come to the conclusion that idols, or child actors, or late night talk shows or whatever the focus of an arc is are like inherently bad, which maybe is too light a take for some but it does portray the industry as being pretty scummy and predatory of the artists and performers involved. A lot of focus is also on fans and media but those are part of the industry too and I really don't think the manga comes off as saying "Oh the entertainment industry would be all good and fine if only the lovely media wasn't so bad to our stars. :(".