Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a line i saw someone mention was bats, dockside, saw in half on dockside. very cute and a three card combo but that does kill every single opponent from full health if there's, like, six artifacts and enchantments combined on your opponents' boards

and again, part of why dockside would be the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You say Saw in Half combo, I open up a new Moxfield

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
saw in half is a really fun card and i wish we got an anthology on arena with all the actually impactful cards from that unset

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They'd never do that because we can't have silly and fun things like stickers, arena is a serious game with its own lovely mechanics like seek, draft, conjure and perpetual

goddamn I just want a non alchemy historic brawl, is that too much to loving ask

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you say that but i spent like an hour looking at the new cards from the lotr set this morning and seeing what stuff i'm immediately putting into hbrawl decks

gonna make a gruul legendary matters deck and shove in doors of durin alongside cabaretti revels, bard class, and rhythm of the wild

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Silhouette posted:

goddamn I just want a non alchemy historic brawl, is that too much to loving ask

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Silhouette posted:

They'd never do that because we can't have silly and fun things like stickers, arena is a serious game with its own lovely mechanics like seek, draft, conjure and perpetual

Stickers is so much better theoretically in digital when you don't have to gently caress with lovely sticker sheets. Just not that strong of a mechanic anyway.

But Anthology can just be arbitrary singles right? Saw in Half doesn't involve anything specific to that set. Clown Car, and Starlight Spectacular, too please.

Also add Claire D'Loon to test the robustness of Arena's token code

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Khanstant posted:

Stickers is so much better theoretically in digital when you don't have to gently caress with lovely sticker sheets. Just not that strong of a mechanic anyway.

But Anthology can just be arbitrary singles right? Saw in Half doesn't involve anything specific to that set. Clown Car, and Starlight Spectacular, too please.

Also add Claire D'Loon to test the robustness of Arena's token code

legacy hero Comet, Stellar Pup, please.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i've been looking at a bunch of pictures of dams tonight and mtg is completely sleeping on these as potential land arts and unique land mechanics. Especially in a universe where dam needn't only manage water and hydro power. I'm sure there are some incidental dams in card art I'm not seeing.

Only the last one really features anything like a hydropower type dam and mechanically doesn't feel dam-breaky anyway. Draft draft looks like.

This was the image in particular I started wondering why no mtg dam land cycle.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Khanstant posted:

i've been looking at a bunch of pictures of dams tonight and mtg is completely sleeping on these as potential land arts and unique land mechanics. Especially in a universe where dam needn't only manage water and hydro power. I'm sure there are some incidental dams in card art I'm not seeing.

This is some sweet art. Want to play it in a mono-blue tempo shell just for that art

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
3 kingdoms has a ton of cool art. I'd love to play with a set of them in a little draft or deck duel for the novelty and cool art. Awful expensive though, mostly for cards not really playable anywhere.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Many of the 3 kingdoms staples will be reprinted in Commander Masters, hopefully they keep the art!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Mirkwood Bats getting banned would make it the first card to be in a precon that gets got, there's no chance

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mirkwood Bats getting banned would make it the first card to be in a precon that gets got, there's no chance

Stoneforge Mystic

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
If they ban Mirkwood Bats before Dockside, I think that’ll be a immensely funny in terms of missing the problem.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jabor posted:

Stoneforge Mystic

In Commander

VVV fair enough

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 20, 2023

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In Commander

Trade Secrets

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Khanstant posted:

Only the last one really features anything like a hydropower type dam and mechanically doesn't feel dam-breaky anyway. Draft draft looks like.

This was the image in particular I started wondering why no mtg dam land cycle.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=seagate
Dam, broken dam, rebuilt dam, dudes live on the dam, gals living on the dam.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This hard drive dam is fine, glad to see it, but it still kind of seems like Earth has more collosal dams going on. I'm afraid the relative dam drought has created a need for a World Dam. If tree can be big then big wet wall should be big too.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Anybody going to Barcelona in July?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Floodgate is a dam. Lavabrink Floodgates is a lava dam.

The expedition Mystic Gate appears to be a dam as well.

There's probably a few islands that count like perhaps Ravnica: City of Guilds 293 but holy moly there's a lot of islands.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lava Dam owns, that's one I was hoping to see.

And lol at the flavour of the dam being destroyed if it gains flying. Gotta love a card that goes all in on representing its concept over being playable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Now I want to see that Twitter account that draws flavorful interactions to do one of Floodgate and Luminous Broodmoth.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Lava Dam owns, that's one I was hoping to see.

And lol at the flavour of the dam being destroyed if it gains flying. Gotta love a card that goes all in on representing its concept over being playable.

I play Leap and Floodgates in my Orvar commander deck, it's silly and neat

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

I brought my Drake posted:

went in the 90s, it was insanely hot, can't imagine it now

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape
One of the stores I normally order from had a bundle of one of each of all the LOTR commons and uncommons for $21, and another of all the uncommon showcase cards for just under $3. I figured that would be a pretty good way to see the set and get a few cards to work into my commander decks…

This is one of the worst looking sets they’ve printed since like 1999. The flavour is great, the general set design is good, but the art is just bad. Most of the cards look like a rough draft. I like the ring frame for the showcase, and it looks like the art brief for those ones was that it’s what Sauron sees, but again most of them look unfinished.

I was planning on picking a couple of the mural pieces and getting all the parts for binder pages… but that plan is out the window now.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I know hating on set-themed jumpstart sets is well-trodden ground, but I watched a video to see what they had inside. They have ring tempting cards, but no tokens in the packs, so no ring reminder cards. It seems like a terrible play experience as an intro to the set.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

TacoNight posted:

I know hating on set-themed jumpstart sets is well-trodden ground, but I watched a video to see what they had inside. They have ring tempting cards, but no tokens in the packs, so no ring reminder cards. It seems like a terrible play experience as an intro to the set.

I don't think any of the Jumpstart sets have had token cards included, which is a shame when you need it for important rules text and not just "1/1 goblin".

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I brought my Drake posted:

Yeah

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TacoNight posted:

I looked at the list for these packs and they're really bad. I know they want to keep these for new players, but the packs are almost identical, and with only five colors it's likely that most of the decks are going to have the same cards. They should make ten different color pairs for each set (unless it's a unique one like a wedge/shard set) and include some "only legal in Jumpstart" Command Tower land in every pack.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Turns out this one ring card might be pretty good. Crazy.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Sickening posted:

Turns out this one ring card might be pretty good. Crazy.

What formats is it good in?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TacoNight posted:

What formats is it good in?

modern. Spike is on a tear of playing it all week and i have noticed its rarely a bad card to cast.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Sickening posted:

modern. Spike is on a tear of playing it all week and i have noticed its rarely a bad card to cast.

It definitely seemed great to me, so I'm glad to see it's making an impact. The only question mark for me was the cost, but even at 4 mana repeatable card advantage is so nice to have and it's pretty difficult to remove if you don't counter it on the way in

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

a turn of "protection from everything" seems pretty good too. Especially if you can bounce it or otherwise cast it again

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s also very funny with Paradox Engine

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It definitely seemed great to me, so I'm glad to see it's making an impact. The only question mark for me was the cost, but even at 4 mana repeatable card advantage is so nice to have and it's pretty difficult to remove if you don't counter it on the way in

Plenty of decks were spending 4 cmc on things and it fits pretty smoothly there. It doesn't feel like something you need to ramp into so far and decks that grind out value seem to work well.

A Moose posted:

a turn of "protection from everything" seems pretty good too. Especially if you can bounce it or otherwise cast it again

Forcing your opponent to exile the ring or have a lovely next turn can't be ignored. It also replaces itself if it resolves which seems kind of busted. Its got that mini Emrakul, the Promised End feel when you cast it.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

A Moose posted:

Yeah, I totally forgot about that last night playing HBrawl and turned all my big boys and girls sideways the turn after my opponent dropped the ring :negative:

And then doing :stare: when they drew three or more cards for no mana on subsequent turns

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think damage comes in such big chunks in Modern that having a turn off from having a Murktide or Rhinos beat you up might be pretty strong if you can leverage it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

A Moose posted:

it didn't occur to me until now but if you cast the one ring and gain protection from everything, does that destroy any of the enchant player / aura curse things on you? seems like it ought to.