Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

tyrell's last gift; generative zoom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

what do we think about ipfs

can i buy drugs with it yet

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

in a well actually posted:

my impression was that twitter was not a particularly big customer of gcp and that it was their trust and safety stuff from an acquisition

on the other hand who knows what counts as a big gcp customer anymore

maybe elon got a heads up on this from sergey’s wife during pillow talk

Since GCP was one of the winners of the not-JEDI four-way-split DoD cloud contract; it would be deeply, terminally stupid for Google to decide to kill the service. That doesn't mean that they won't do it, but they would effectively be guaranteeing that neither Google or any other subsidiary of Alphabet would ever be awarded any federal contract ever again.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

if you had invested in nasdaq at the height of the first tech bubble, it would have taken you something like 12 years for it to rise back up and earn your nominal money back

has anyone said nasdank yet

fart simpson posted:

you saved $40k by cutting back on coffee?! how much coffee do you drink

wait and find out what kind of retirement lifestyle I am sacrificing just to have my measley two and a half energy drinks per day

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

has anyone said nasdank yet
I do keep my nas in the basement but that's just rude

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1671541238699372551?s=20

quote:

The regulatory agency, which is led by Big Tech critic Chair Lina Khan, also alleged the company’s leadership slowed or rejected changes that made canceling the subscription easier.

It said those patterns were in violation of the FTC Act and another law called the Restore Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act.

Launched in 2005, Prime has more than 200 million members worldwide who pay $139 a year, or $14.99 a month, for faster shipping and other perks, such as free delivery and returns.

In a news release announcing the lawsuit, the FTC said though its complaint is significantly redacted, it contains “a number of allegations” that backs up its accusations against Amazon.

It also accused the company of attempting to hinder the agency’s investigation into Prime, which began in 2021, in several instances.

“Amazon tricked and trapped people into recurring subscriptions without their consent, not only frustrating users but also costing them significant money,” Khan said in a statement. “These manipulative tactics harm consumers and law-abiding businesses alike.”

Never heard of the Restore Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act. This could be interesting.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

LanceHunter posted:

Never heard of the Restore Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act. This could be interesting.

jeffy don't like it
ROSCA cash back

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
looking forward to the FTC fining amazon tens of thousands of dollars in order to "send a very strong message"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/PhilKomarny/status/1669301379981246464

can't wait for microsoft to shove GPT into literally everything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they're not exploits they're just very specific prompts that lead to powerful outcomes

they're spells, we've reinvented magic spells

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 21, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
pacts with daemons

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

qirex posted:

they're not exploits they're just very specific prompts that lead to powerful outcomes

I always thought plangs in general missed a step by not having more in common aesthetically with alchemy and magic

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

qirex posted:

some of them are pretty interesting, like inserting escape characters or language switching

but this part was kinda funny (sorry for the screenshot but it looks like the disabled the clipboard on the pdf)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Beeftweeter posted:

some of them are pretty interesting, like inserting escape characters or language switching

but this part was kinda funny (sorry for the screenshot but it looks like the disabled the clipboard on the pdf)

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Daily financial loss of less than $300? Why is that a problem?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Wait, am I reading this correctly? Daily financial loss of less than $300? Why is that a problem?

the context is that people using automated tools to probe prompt injection attacks burns money for the company while harming it in other ways if the attack is successful. agreed that it's not that much, just pointing out that it costs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i wouldnt want to lose $300 every day.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

armpit_enjoyer posted:

do you like losing $9k/month?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i have no idea what the context here is i just love 2 post

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

preach brother

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wait, there are companies that let you make free queries against a pay api? what did they think would happen?

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

rotor posted:

do you like losing $9k/month?

i presume that's what any given company would pay for, like, janitorial upkeep or whatever

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

anyway, the lesson here is together we can bankrupt an ai startup. together, we can cause problems on purpose

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

wait, there are companies that let you make free queries against a pay api? what did they think would happen?

yeah. worth noting that even "worthwhile" queries cost them money too, just not as much as a bot spamming it with injection tests because presumably there wouldn't be as many

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

armpit_enjoyer posted:

anyway, the lesson here is together we can bankrupt an ai startup. together, we can cause problems on purpose

now you're getting it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

not cause problems! create solutions

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

same poo poo innit

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

dioxazine posted:

not cause problems! create solutions

sure, just make the gpt api free to access

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

https://twitter.com/PhilKomarny/status/1669301379981246464

can't wait for microsoft to shove GPT into literally everything

you don't have to wait, they already have

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

armpit_enjoyer posted:

matt levine posted:

Business idea

For a while in the 2010s, arguably the most lucrative business model in the world was “get a guy who can flatter Masayoshi Son and let him just go nuts and bring back billions of dollars of SoftBank financing.” This was basically WeWork’s business model, and while it didn’t necessarily work out great for WeWork in the long run, it did work out great for Adam Neumann, WeWork’s founder and fundraiser and Masa-flatterer.

But now it is 2023, we are in the early stages of an artificial intelligence boom, and obviously the best possible business model is “get an AI chatbot who can flatter Masayoshi Son.” The Wall Street Journal reports:

SoftBank Group Chief Executive Masayoshi Son says he has rekindled his appetite for investing in technology by talking with ChatGPT in the wee hours about ideas for inventions that the bot validated as wonderful.

Son, 65 years old, told shareholders Wednesday that the artificial-intelligence tool helped revive his spirits after he had been driven to tears by the sense he was nearing the end of his career without having pursued his dreams. …

He said he used ChatGPT every day for brainstorming and has come up with more than 600 ideas. He described one lengthy exchange—at around 3 to 4 in the morning—in which he pitched an idea and then answered the AI chatbot as it raised objections.

“After we repeated this several dozen times, I really felt great because my idea was praised as feasible and wonderful,” he said.

I hope the chatbot told him that it appreciated how he was crazy, but that he needed to be crazier. I feel like there are a lot of people in the world who would be happy to tell Masayoshi Son that his ideas are feasible and wonderful — whole industries were built on the basic premise of telling Masayoshi Son what he wanted to hear — but there are only so many robots in the world who will tell him that, and now he is looking for robots. Presumably somebody is building more of those robots; it would be silly not to.

mystes
May 31, 2006

they just need to put him off somewhere where the computer can make him happy and he's insulated from actually affecting anything

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

telling wealthy rubes what they want to hear has always been big business but now we can do it at scale!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

i wouldnt want to lose $300 every day.

once again I am hoping I don’t end up homeless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

i have no idea what the context here is i just love 2 post

good steed

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

haveblue posted:

it's ok I can fix this

*puts a cache in front of the free query api*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i was unreasonably proud of my "well his name isn't Masayoshi Toku now is it" joke and none of you baka gaijin got it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i dont even get what baka gaijin is

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Sapozhnik posted:

if we waste anymore time on "Masayoshi Toku," we'll be bankrupt by the end of the month!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

one of the most asinine and facile things ive read in quite some time: AI Leader Proposes a New Kind of Turing Test for Chatbots

quote:

Instead of comparing AI's intelligence to humans, Suleyman proposes tasking a bot with short-term goals and tasks that it can complete with little human input in a process known as "artificial capable intelligence," or ACI.

To achieve ACI, Suleyman says AI bots should pass a new Turing test in which it receives a $100,000 seed investment and has to turn it into $1 million. As part of the test, the bot must research an e-commerce business idea, develop a plan for the product, find a manufacturer, and then sell the item.

He expects AI to achieve this milestone in the next two years.

truly astonishing

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pile Of Garbage posted:

one of the most asinine and facile things ive read in quite some time: AI Leader Proposes a New Kind of Turing Test for Chatbots

truly astonishing

the first paragraph is reasonable and then it really takes a turn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pile Of Garbage posted:

truly astonishing

lol