Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to guess this dude sells prepackaged china drop ship storefronts as his main job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

$50k would probably get you a license from ransomware maker, $50k in hyper-targeted twitter crypto ads and the bot would probably be able to clean $1M.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
generate 10 applications to the ACI test, turn in the combined seed money

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Pile Of Garbage posted:

one of the most asinine and facile things ive read in quite some time: AI Leader Proposes a New Kind of Turing Test for Chatbots

truly astonishing

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

haveblue posted:

generate 10 applications to the ACI test, turn in the combined seed money

that was my first thought

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
as a compromise, i'll accept a mere 10 grand in exchange for a tas of wall street kid for the NES

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I think in true Matt Levine style doing the exact opposite of whatever SoftBank is doing is probably the best strategy

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

one of the most asinine and facile things ive read in quite some time: AI Leader Proposes a New Kind of Turing Test for Chatbots

truly astonishing

god drat this is some dumb poo poo and my monitor isn't even off!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the AI should do that thing with the tomatos that one vc guy discovered

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i dont even get what baka gaijin is

turn your monitor off

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

post hole digger posted:

turn your monitor off

buddy, i never even turned it on :chord:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Pile Of Garbage posted:

truly astonishing

it does give you a sense of what this is all for though.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i got this folks

code:
invest $100000 in index fund
sleep(788400000)
return $1000000

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
latest update in the underwater billionaire death coffin story:

https://twitter.com/ed_solomon/status/1671679029072543745

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
he also went to jail for stalking some edm djs

and also, we regret to inform you that the failson is racist

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

yeah his twitter account is gone.

it's great when you get a nice b-plot episode and don't have to move forward with the war storyline or whatever.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
blam lol
https://twitter.com/whacknicholson/status/1671662364943417347

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

he's about to achieve the dream of every failson, inheriting a lot of money

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/1671541238699372551?s=20

Never heard of the Restore Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act. This could be interesting.

several years ago when I let my prime sub accidentally renew for one year and canceled it the next year before renewing, i got an email saying hey you didn't order anything with your prime so we gave you a full refund. was very confused but ok

(I'd even been using the free monthly twitch sub, so some streamers got a few bucks from jeff)

not to defend amazon, and it's pretty obnoxious how you have to click through three buttons to actually cancel prime, but at the very least it's possible to do online by yourself? i can think of many other companies that ought to be nailed to the wall first.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

(i want more companies nailed to the wall, to be clear)

mystes
May 31, 2006

based on the hn thread apparently 1) cancelling prime used to be really bad but may be less bad now, but 2) trying to order stuff without prime now sends you through some crazy dark pattern poo poo that tries to trick you into accidentally subscribing to prime, and they also rearrange the way its laid out frequently to make it even harder to click on the write place to not accidentally subscribe to prime

I have prime but I think I'm going to cancel it next time it's supposed to renew

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
unless they've changed it recently canceling prime is really not that hard. you do have to actually read though so

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i barely buy anything on amazon, it's probably not worth it. i think my wife had it when we first got the babby to buy babby garbage but :shrug: we're at the point where waiting a couple days is fine.

it's just going to be progressively less service for more of your money as time goes on, i'm sure it's already starting.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
amazon tries to get me to sign up for a credit card every time i order anything. they say i’ll get $25 in FREE MONEY if i do it

also for a while i was getting $5 off every order because the “guaranteed delivery date” would change between when i ordered and when it shipped lol

amazon is dumb

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
i got prime about 6 years ago because i was interested in seeing if prime video was a good deal

(it was not; their catalog sucks)

i then canceled it, and honestly it was one of the least painful subscription cancelation procedures i have ever had to deal with, and they even refunded a portion of the cost based on how many months of the year i had it active

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i'm trying to be an anti-consumer so amazon is like the thing i don't go to as much as i can. do i really need a "PETINUBE Anti-Dropping Silicone Baby Wrist Teether Soothing Pacifier for Infants 3+ Months Babies, Pack of 1"? probably not.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

peenitube

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

still plenty of companies that require you to call to deactivate. or the neglected online cancellation form will fail and you have to call anyway

*grunts effortfully*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
pentanoob

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Amazon probably had the best customer support and that’s pretty sad because they just throw money at it. Hey amazon i think i got a fake thing: keep it whatever and here’s your money back. Didn’t use prime? here’s your money back. left an ec2 instance running too long? oops here’s some credit back and don’t do it again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i got prime about 6 years ago because i was interested in seeing if prime video was a good deal

(it was not; their catalog sucks)

i then canceled it, and honestly it was one of the least painful subscription cancelation procedures i have ever had to deal with, and they even refunded a portion of the cost based on how many months of the year i had it active

cancelling the free apple itv+ i got with my iphone xs took me emailing apple support

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

my ex and i did the subscribe and save thing on amazon when we first had kids and it was really useful. this was around the time prime launched in canada and they were throwing everything at it to get subscribers. it was super handy to get diapers and wipes and all that kinda stuff delivered on a schedule without having to worry about making trips to the store when we were both exhausted. it was actually cheaper than costco too at the time

free shipping was basically unheard of in canada back then

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
either ed zitron reads yospos or we're some kind of bizarre cultural zeitgeist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're all thought leaders 'round these parts

mystes
May 31, 2006

nah I think this stuff is just really obvious and pretty much everyone has been saying the same thing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bizarre cultural zeitgeist it is then

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i think we're all just outlining what happened when the united states switched from an information-and-services-based economy to an advertising-based economy.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Eeyo posted:

i'm trying to be an anti-consumer so amazon is like the thing i don't go to as much as i can. do i really need a "PETINUBE Anti-Dropping Silicone Baby Wrist Teether Soothing Pacifier for Infants 3+ Months Babies, Pack of 1"? probably not.

Just order it from AliExpress. That's where the drop shippers source it anyway.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

leper khan posted:

Just order it from AliExpress. That's where the drop shippers source it anyway.

and the last mile delivery will be done by your regular mail carrier instead of an amazon gig worker who isn’t paid enough, nor given enough time, to care if they deliver to the right house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
amazons internal codename for the process of cancelling prime refers to a bloody ten year siege that only ended when one side tricked the other into doing what they wanted: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/06/ftc-sues-amazon-over-4-page-6-click-15-option-prime-cancellation-process/

quote:

Amazon named its “labyrinthine” Prime cancellation process after Homer’s Iliad

FTC: Amazon tricked users into buying Prime and made canceling a Homeric ordeal.
lol