Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

These videos made realise that all these early 2010s Fan Schneider shows are not unlike It's Always Sunny in that the characters are absolutely terrible human beings that only get away with poo poo because they're the protagonists, but without the self-awareness. And somehow no one working on them realise that Arianna Grande is the most talented.

Nihonniboku posted:

Like the iCarly reboot, I don't know who this is aimed at. I imagine the humor is still as bad as the original, so it doesn't really appeal to adults, and the cast are all in their 30s/40s now, so they won't appeal to preteens, like the original audience.

Plus, Jamie Lynn still has to face the backlash over her treatment of her sister.

The audience is absolutely their now-adult fans. From what I saw of the revival, it's basically the same show but now with jokes about sex and parenting. They even brought back minor characters from the old show, like a crazy stalker who once kidnapped Carly and her friends.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Both of these videos are about the original series.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Adults now are interested in that weird poo poo

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Couldn't care less about iCarly because I'm too old, but Jennette McCurdy's memoir was a really good read. Her mom was a real piece of poo poo.

It had a lack of Dan Schneider stories, but I guess the less said about that sick freak the better.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Couldn't care less about iCarly because I'm too old, but Jennette McCurdy's memoir was a really good read. Her mom was a real piece of poo poo.

It had a lack of Dan Schneider stories, but I guess the less said about that sick freak the better.

Probably a combination of not wanting to deal with those memories and being worried about legal repercussions

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Prominent abs, leg spread with crotch towards camera. Yep, they know the appeal of ATJ at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Prominent abs, leg spread with crotch towards camera. Yep, they know the appeal of ATJ at least.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 22, 2023

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Wondering how much the original artist got paid for that. Just kidding, I know they didn't.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What is wrong with their spines?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Terminal case of anime.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Shoulda kept the brickwall and gun decor

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Conan The King imagery at its most basic. Disappointing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Conan The King imagery at its most basic. Disappointing.

Conan didn't invent the concept of a barbarian king.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gripweed posted:

Conan didn't invent the concept of a barbarian king.

I mean, he basically did to modern audiences, unless you think that people are reading ancient Roman writings.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean, he basically did to modern audiences, unless you think that people are reading ancient Roman writings.

Like, yeah? I'm pretty sure ancient Roman writings are, after the bible, the biggest inspiration for all Western fiction? I mean, you use the word "modern" there and literally one of the defining characteristics of the literal Modern Era was the rediscovery of ancient Roman and Greek writings.

I really cannot stress enough how important ancient Roman writings are to our modern culture. You don't even have to actually read the writings themselves to be influenced by them because they are so encoded in the DNA of the media you consume.

edit: And even if we do accept your argument that Conan the Barbarian was a rediscovery of ancient Roman culture on par with the Renaissance, that also means that the Kraven poster pose is simply echoing an ancient character archetype.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Gripweed posted:

Like, yeah? I'm pretty sure ancient Roman writings are, after the bible, the biggest inspiration for all Western fiction? I mean, you use the word "modern" there and literally one of the defining characteristics of the literal Modern Era was the rediscovery of ancient Roman and Greek writings.

I really cannot stress enough how important ancient Roman writings are to our modern culture. You don't even have to actually read the writings themselves to be influenced by them because they are so encoded in the DNA of the media you consume.

edit: And even if we do accept your argument that Conan the Barbarian was a rediscovery of ancient Roman culture on par with the Renaissance, that also means that the Kraven poster pose is simply echoing an ancient character archetype.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sorry, Gripweed, you have been thoroughly owned.

But yeah, the point is not the ur source of inspiration, it's the modern reference point for your average person.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

feedmyleg posted:

Sorry, Gripweed, you have been thoroughly owned.

But yeah, the point is not the ur source of inspiration, it's the modern reference point for your average person.

Judging from the returns on the latest Conan movie, no it’s not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s not how… anything works.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

was konosuba the one that the writer of Pulp Fiction gave five stars cause his daughter dragged him into it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/ethanves/status/1671876787138347009?s=20

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Uh excuse me the devonian emergence from the sea was far more impactful on modern western literature than the classical period of Rome. I mean, scoff, you wouldn't even have had Rome without land animals.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aphrodite posted:

That’s not how… anything works.

For it to be the reference point for the “average” person, that would require the average person to be familiar enough with Conan lore to know he becomes a king. I would posit that is not the case. People may know the name and image of Conan the Barbarian, but little beyond that.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Uh excuse me the devonian emergence from the sea was far more impactful on modern western literature than the classical period of Rome. I mean, scoff, you wouldn't even have had Rome without land animals.

That has nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Nerdietalk posted:

was konosuba the one that the writer of Pulp Fiction gave five stars cause his daughter dragged him into it

what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/AVARY/status/1196117244134096896?s=20

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Does that have problematic content or something, or did it really just hit this guy's wavelength?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
yes, and yes

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Konasuba is a pretty popular comedy series about a group of adventurers who are all terrible people.

So like it’s always sunny in Philadelphia, but fantasy and about as horny

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Gripweed posted:

For it to be the reference point for the “average” person, that would require the average person to be familiar enough with Conan lore to know he becomes a king. I would posit that is not the case. People may know the name and image of Conan the Barbarian, but little beyond that.

What? The 80's film was extremely popular, and is definitely the primary point of reference most people would have. And it ends with this exact image, as a narrator explains that he "becomes king by his own hand." It's not a deep cut.

In fact, I'd argue that "Arnold as Conan on a throne" is one of the most iconic images from that movie. And that it's evoked on purpose in other media all the time: e.g. Jason Momoa, who literally played Conan, as both Khal Drogo and as Aquaman. Dwayne Johnson in Scorpion King, or in Black Adam. You could argue Killmonger from Black Panther or Thor or The Northman contain visual references, God of War or Skyrim. The 80's Conan heavily influenced what a "barbarian king" would or should look like in visual media, and I don't think it's coincidental.

I don't disagree with your broader claim that classical literature heavily informs Western fiction, but the argument that 2000-year-old Roman writings are as directly responsible for modern writing feels incredibly reductive. For one, the Viking age happened centuries after the fall of western Rome; the image of a barbarian as an unstoppably violent monster-man obsessed with rape and conquest probably has more to do with that era.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

You can't tell me that's not Jeff Garlin.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Xealot posted:

What? The 80's film was extremely popular, and is definitely the primary point of reference most people would have. And it ends with this exact image, as a narrator explains that he "becomes king by his own hand." It's not a deep cut.

In fact, I'd argue that "Arnold as Conan on a throne" is one of the most iconic images from that movie. And that it's evoked on purpose in other media all the time: e.g. Jason Momoa, who literally played Conan, as both Khal Drogo and as Aquaman. Dwayne Johnson in Scorpion King, or in Black Adam. You could argue Killmonger from Black Panther or Thor or The Northman contain visual references, God of War or Skyrim. The 80's Conan heavily influenced what a "barbarian king" would or should look like in visual media, and I don't think it's coincidental.

I think maybe there’s only so many ways you can depict a barbarian king on a throne. He’s sitting on a throne because he’s king, but he’s a barbarian so he’s sitting without proper posture. Probably in a way which denotes violence or showcases physical strength. How do you do that in a way that you wouldn’t call derivative of Conan?

You say Conan is the average person’s reference, but then mention that pose happens in Black Panther and Aquaman, two films which were much bigger hits than Conan, and also, unlike Conan, aren’t older than most human beings currently alive.

Sure Conan was very influential. No one is denying that. But to say that Conan somehow owns the image of a buff guy sitting on a throne is simply absurd.

Xealot posted:

I don't disagree with your broader claim that classical literature heavily informs Western fiction, but the argument that 2000-year-old Roman writings are as directly responsible for modern writing feels incredibly reductive. For one, the Viking age happened centuries after the fall of western Rome; the image of a barbarian as an unstoppably violent monster-man obsessed with rape and conquest probably has more to do with that era.

An excellent example of the barbarian king archetype predating Conan!

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 22, 2023

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Konasuba is a pretty popular comedy series about a group of adventurers who are all terrible people.

So like it’s always sunny in Philadelphia, but fantasy and about as horny

God if I remember the stories about it right, this was Avary's first experience with any anime and just. The picture of going into a such a self-referential anime comedy making fun of anime fantasies, with no experience with any of the standard expectations of that medium and genre is just. So funny to me.

I don't have a source on that, but I want it to be true desperately.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Beardless Galifanakis is only the most obvious weird thing about this movie. Wait until I tell you it's directed by Al Gore's daughter and her husband, the guy from OK Go

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is that another movie about a product like Air?

Is there a name for this trend?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

El Jeffe posted:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mister Chief posted:

Is that another movie about a product like Air?

Is there a name for this trend?
Not specifically, but RLM was talking about it recently. Just this year alone we've had movies about Air Jordans, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, the Blackberry, and Tetris

I'm also probably missing something but those are the ones that have definitely come out this year.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not specifically, but RLM was talking about it recently. Just this year alone we've had movies about Air Jordans, Flamin' Hot Cheetos, the Blackberry, and Tetris

I'm also probably missing something but those are the ones that have definitely come out this year.

Barbie?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eh, Barbie isn't a "based on a true story" thing like those other ones. It's just a movie based on Barbie.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Aren't they supposed to make the art and animation good when they release a movie of an anime?

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

~Coxy posted:

Aren't they supposed to make the art and animation good when they release a movie of an anime?