Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

And to think Yoshida could have gotten out of this with a free butthole tonguing, now he he has nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RuBisCO posted:

And to think Yoshida could have gotten out of this with a free butthole tonguing, now he he has nothing

some people truly don't know how good they've got it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ruflux posted:

Apparently the original version had her explicitly ask Denji to tell them to gently caress off and this was how it was translated in Spanish at least, so it's seemingly just a bizarre case of translation censorship in the English version.

"Tell him to eff off" kinda reads more in character to me imo.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Watching Yoshida lose his composure after being a smug prick this whole time was fun

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Yoshida's threats are pretty toothless considering Public Safety was virtually wiped out by the end of the Makima incident, and considering what both Denji and Nayuta are capable of. I'd almost suspect him of working for another party and trying to foment Denji's distrust in Public Safety (and therefore deprive them of one of their few remaining competent devil hunters), but he still seems genuinely puzzled after Denji leaves so that doesn't quite make sense either.

In the end I'm satisfied if it's simply that Yoshida is as big a stupid idiot as everyone else.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I’m pretty sure Denji would be ludicrously easy to bribe instead of threaten, so I’m not sure why they aren’t going that route and just offering him like a million yen to gently caress off.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

AnoHito posted:

I’m pretty sure Denji would be ludicrously easy to bribe instead of threaten, so I’m not sure why they aren’t going that route and just offering him like a million yen to gently caress off.

The mysterious org Yoshida works for could have just hired like, a cute girl and this would be resolved instantly

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

CharlestonJew posted:

The mysterious org Yoshida works for could have just hired like, a cute girl and this would be resolved instantly

What's Reze up to? :v:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Unless he says otherwise I am going to assume Yoshida works for public safety

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
She does actually ask him to say “gently caress You” in Japanese but conversely English insults have less impact in Japan so maybe “Eff you” does convey something of the childishness of her request?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Cute girl wouldn't work, Nayuta saw right through the last one who had ulterior motives. Though it probably wouldn't be hard to find someone smoother than Asa.

Since Public Safety seems to consist of Yoshida plus one other random doofus, this is probably the best last-ditch plan they could come up with to try to confound Nostradamus' predicted apocalypse.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Cute girl wouldn't work, Nayuta saw right through the last one who had ulterior motives. Though it probably wouldn't be hard to find someone smoother than Asa.

Since Public Safety seems to consist of Yoshida plus one other random doofus, this is probably the best last-ditch plan they could come up with to try to confound Nostradamus' predicted apocalypse.

Considering her conversation with Fami I feel Nayuta might have had unfair advantage in recognizing a horsemen hybrid.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Was thinking the exact same thing lol thank you for doing this

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Public Safety still has a lot of dudes. We saw a bunch of them die fighting Falling and Yuko.

It's just that they're pretty much cannon fodder at this point, especially since most of the best they had quit (Madoka, Kishibe, Kobeni) or died (Aki, Himeno, Kishibe's anti-Makima squad).

Also, it does seem they didn't know what they were dealing with when it came to Nayuta. I wouldn't be surprised if she set up some nice contracts while finding her way back to meet up with Denji again.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The allegory to war is finally rearing its head again. War can start for any reason, good or bad, well-reasoned or fabricated, concrete or abstract. War can be disassociated with its roots. The cause of war may have nothing to do with the actual war, and the current state of war may no longer have anything to do with the start of the war.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
It's like Yoshida didn't remember or learn anything about the last time he had a little tete-a-tete with Denji where his attempt to control Denji (take away cake fork) immediately failed when Denji just shoveled it into his mouth with his hands

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My theory is that Public safety doesn’t want Denji to be chainsawman, because they don’t want him to erase something important from existence. Yoshida really sucks at negotiations lmao

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

wow they already animated this week's chapter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUnPN385wLI

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

JoeGlassJAw posted:

wow they already animated this week's chapter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUnPN385wLI

You know, that actually is the perfect use of VR Chat. I'm impressed

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Denji being too dumb and stubborn to be blackmailed by Yoshida is so perfect

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I dunno, I feel Yoshida had a pretty good handle on what he needed to threaten to get Denji to comply. Like Denji was clearly panicking and desperate throughout that chat. I doubt he'd have caved completely if Nayuta hadn't shown up but Yoshida was really getting to him.

Yoshida real stupid for thinking Nayuta wouldn't show up and completely undermine his threats though. Like come on dude surely you know who she is.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I dunno, I feel Yoshida had a pretty good handle on what he needed to threaten to get Denji to comply. Like Denji was clearly panicking and desperate throughout that chat. I doubt he'd have caved completely if Nayuta hadn't shown up but Yoshida was really getting to him.

Yoshida real stupid for thinking Nayuta wouldn't show up and completely undermine his threats though. Like come on dude surely you know who she is.

He doesn't seem to.

I mean, his response to the other guy bringing her was "Come on! You should know better!" instead of "Oh gently caress, oh gently caress, she's casually taking over our people again."

It seems Kishibe covered his tracks pretty well.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Denji was definitely having some kind of weird breakdown it's hard to know how things would have panned out without Nayuta showing up

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chiasaur11 posted:

He doesn't seem to.

I mean, his response to the other guy bringing her was "Come on! You should know better!" instead of "Oh gently caress, oh gently caress, she's casually taking over our people again."

It seems Kishibe covered his tracks pretty well.

You know I never considered this, but it makes a lot of sense actually for it to be this way.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Does anyone else notice the "Fire-Punch"-y vibe of "your narrow viewpoint does not allow you see that your selfish actions have large-scale ramifications, and you need to be stopped"

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Solar Tornado posted:

Does anyone else notice the "Fire-Punch"-y vibe of "your narrow viewpoint does not allow you see that your selfish actions have large-scale ramifications, and you need to be stopped"

A lot of chainsaw man feels like a much more refined thoughtful and palatable reuse of Fire Punch themes yes

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The first significant thing he does in the story is casually murder a guy off screen so brutally it leaves a behind a puddle of blood and then just casually walk over smiling to the person who witnessed the killing he committed commenting "I guess a pro wouldn't puke :downs:" and immediately wanders off without doing any follow up investigations. And here's the kicker: Yoshida is wrong. The guy who puked IS the assassin and Yoshida's detective work (and by detective work I mean a random guess based on nonsense logic) was totally off.

lol before this chapter I always thought Yoshida knew that guy was an assassin but was showing him mercy by pretending not to know but this new piece of characterization makes this scene so much better

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Kinda amazing that the skin brothers, who jobbed out super hard after all their supposed feats, were actually impeccable yet again in their execution. They all just got wiped out due to dumb luck.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The car scene has to be the funniest moment in the manga.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The car scene has to be the funniest moment in the manga.

Absolutely, but I'm overhyping it in my head for the anime lmao.

An episode should end on that impersonator talking to Aki. Really hang on every word the guy is saying that doesn't match what the public safety guy had told Aki before, focus on Aki's lips as he's about to say something and end the episode. ED plays. Post-ED scene where Aki just says "okay" or whatever it was, and then the dude gets run over.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I keep wavering back at forth at thinking how cool and funny Denji is and then getting really bummed at just how bleak the world is that he inhabits.

One of the underrated strengths of CSM is that it really does feel like a dying world. It makes me uncomfortable to think too much about. Every attempt to retain any kind of normalcy can be so easily shattered when a Chef Demon can just kill everyone you know at the grocery store.

If I lived in that kind of world I'd just want to sit around and eat corn dogs all day too because chances are some monster from hell is going to eat you or blow up your entire apartment building because it's bored.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

If i lived in CSM Id probably just become one of the top elite devil hunters and become friends with Denji, Power, Kishibe, Kobeni etc. but thats cuz Im built different

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerkface posted:

If i lived in CSM Id probably just become one of the top elite devil hunters and become friends with Denji, Power, Kishibe, Kobeni etc. but thats cuz Im built different

Oh yeah all those people's friends have great survival rates

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

MorningMoon posted:

Absolutely, but I'm overhyping it in my head for the anime lmao.

An episode should end on that impersonator talking to Aki. Really hang on every word the guy is saying that doesn't match what the public safety guy had told Aki before, focus on Aki's lips as he's about to say something and end the episode. ED plays. Post-ED scene where Aki just says "okay" or whatever it was, and then the dude gets run over.

I feel like dude gets hit by car and then immediate cut to credits would give it more impact.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like dude gets hit by car and then immediate cut to credits would give it more impact.

I really want anime watchers to believe Aki will pick up on the clues like how these stories always go for a couple minutes before the crash happens

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

One of the underrated strengths of CSM is that it really does feel like a dying world. It makes me uncomfortable to think too much about. Every attempt to retain any kind of normalcy can be so easily shattered when a Chef Demon can just kill everyone you know at the grocery store.

The Chef Demon was unfalteringly polite to people inside the grocery store, it’s everyone else that died.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

I keep wavering back at forth at thinking how cool and funny Denji is and then getting really bummed at just how bleak the world is that he inhabits.

If I lived in that kind of world I'd just want to sit around and eat corn dogs all day too because chances are some monster from hell is going to eat you or blow up your entire apartment building because it's bored.
Yes - restaurants and convenience stores are still operational (which is fairly unbelievable). Like CSM tokyo is just as functional as today which implies insane levels of fortitude/optimism in the people of CSM world. The people in that world are impressive!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm surprised there aren't more cults, really. the setting seems like very fertile ground for it. no cults at all would also make sense, as pochita ate all sorts of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

For all of the horrors that the devils bring, a lot of the horrible things that exist in our reality have also just been straight up erased on a conceptual level. Like, living in a world without war or fascism or probably a dozen other societal issues that haven’t even been mentioned makes up for things at least a little bit.