Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all the ff1 nes sprites are girls. especially when they get super buff. sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Mordiceius posted:

And yet only one FF has materia. Only a handful have job systems. I mean, gently caress, half of the FF games have any "choice" when it comes to character progression.

You mentioned FF9 - that game... unless I'm completely misremembering, that game didn't have any choice for what characters could learn. Every character had a pre-set (if, initially hidden) list of abilities they could learn. You don't get to pick and choose what characters have. There were no "builds" or anything like that. Unlocking new gear only unlocked the ability to grind monsters for the AP needed to unlock pre-destined abilities.

FF9 was way deeper than anyone here is giving it credit for. You could learn things like Steal, which stole additional equipment you could learn better skills from. You could choose to spend turns on bosses trying to steal the really rare stuff. There was blue mage stuff. You'd have to make actual decisions about what to steal/learn (or you could just grind out everything which took forever). But it gave you all of those options. And all of it led to a sense of progression.

Same with materia in FF7. There were links, elemental spells, stuff that opened up steal and other unique abilities. All choices you could make to build out your character. There was rare, powerful materia you'd have to do extensive sidequests to get.

FF5 and 12 had amazing job systems. Dont need to defend those.

FF16 has a boring equipment system. Broadsword+1 yay! The AP system is only slightly more exciting. All of it watered down. And with the level scaling none of this poo poo actually makes you feel stronger.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Why would anyone complain about no turn based FF games in a decade when you have amazing and completely equivalent turn based games like soul of cards, anime game, and octopus traveler?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Books On Tape posted:

FF9 was way deeper than anyone here is giving it credit for. You could learn things like Steal, which stole additional equipment you could learn better skills from. You could choose to spend turns on bosses trying to steal the really rare stuff. There was blue mage stuff. You'd have to make actual decisions about what to steal/learn (or you could just grind out everything which took forever). But it gave you all of those options. And all of it led to a sense of progression.

No you dind't have to make decisions about what to learn. You eventually just got everything because even if you weren't stealing eventually you could just Buy Gear that had it on there. The only thing you miss out on by not stealing is getting poo poo earlier. There was no real customization on what you learn because you got all of it eventually, just on what you wanted to learn first. And the encounter rate was high enough that you usually learned everything you needed from a piece of equipment by the time you got something to replace it. Or the ability was on multiple pieces so it didn't matter. That's not actual complexity or decision making.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Why would anyone complain about no turn based FF games in a decade when you have amazing and completely equivalent turn based games like soul of cards, anime game, and octopus traveler?

Oh not Anime games...why won't they make more non-anime RPGs like Final fantasy?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

As ever thread needs to play more turn based rpgs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah wouldn’t want an anime game when you could have final fantasy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

all the ff1 nes sprites are girls. especially when they get super buff. sorry.

Im trying to expand ships to guys. Nes ff1 is the best way for this. Its important work dammit!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
For too long ive been yuri pilled. Im trying to make up for what ive helped wrought!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Goddamn tho buff girls make me drool...no must...rejectm..inherent lesbianism...gah

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Goddamn tho buff girls make me drool...no must...rejectm..inherent lesbianism...gah

I'm sorry, but it's mandatory.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF1's main flaw is nobody shows bush.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah wouldn’t want an anime game when you could have final fantasy

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No you dind't have to make decisions about what to learn. You eventually just got everything because even if you weren't stealing eventually you could just Buy Gear that had it on there. The only thing you miss out on by not stealing is getting poo poo earlier. There was no real customization on what you learn because you got all of it eventually, just on what you wanted to learn first. And the encounter rate was high enough that you usually learned everything you needed from a piece of equipment by the time you got something to replace it. Or the ability was on multiple pieces so it didn't matter. That's not actual complexity or decision making.

This isn't wholly accurate, you do basically have builds in ff9. Like yes, you can unlock everything on an individual characters bespoke list but you still had a limit on what skills you could actually equip and have active. I dunno if you eventually get enough of those points to actually equip everything, but I definitely did not have everything equipped when I quit somewhere in the last dungeon. Even if you do eventually have enough of those points at 99 or whatever, I feel like having to make actual loadout choices the rest of the game counts.

Still a fuckin awful system though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF17 should be a turn-based sequel to Mystic Quest.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mega64 posted:

FF17 should be a turn-based sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OhFunny posted:

The time has come for a Final Fantasy RTS game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

OhFunny posted:

The time has come for a Final Fantasy RTS game.

Revenant Wings

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jfc

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:smuggo:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

XVI is rapidly pushing the rotating slap fight for my second favorite FF (between VIII, X, and XV) down to third place.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Failboattootoot posted:

This isn't wholly accurate, you do basically have builds in ff9. Like yes, you can unlock everything on an individual characters bespoke list but you still had a limit on what skills you could actually equip and have active. I dunno if you eventually get enough of those points to actually equip everything, but I definitely did not have everything equipped when I quit somewhere in the last dungeon. Even if you do eventually have enough of those points at 99 or whatever, I feel like having to make actual loadout choices the rest of the game counts.

Still a fuckin awful system though.

None of that is depth of what you learn which was the person's argument and through accessories you have the same type of builds in 16 as well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

'anime game' unlike final fantasy

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Huh. I thought this was a SRPG.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SMERSH Mouth posted:

ff is an anime game, hth

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
FF16 is also extremely anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

revenant wings is okay

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So you probably forgot about my FF playthrough, or thought I forgot. Well, I didn't :colbert:

I just got distracted by FFXIV and then fighting games, but I did just now finish Lightning Returns after I got sidetracked six months ago. So like I said, a short break!

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: Maybe it's just cuz other than XIV I've been away from the series for a while, but this is one of the wildest Final Fantasy games, period. It's been a minute since I did anything but kill Bhunivelze, but IIRC the story is after the events of XIII-2, Etro is gone so no one dies, but also Chaos came through Etro's gate and threatens to annihilate reality. So Lighting is summoned by Bhunivelze to bring a little hope to power, uh, some kinda world tree to give the world enough time for Bhunivelze to save everyone. Except UH OH Bhunivelze is only gonna save a few people and start the world over so Lighting goes "Yeah, naw, mate" and kills his rear end to become the new Goddess of Death and rule over the Chaos to save the world. But then the Yeuls decide to do that, and also Noel, who spent the entirety of XIII-2 trying to make it so Yeul doesn't die still doesn't want her to die and so Caius goes "Fine, Jesus, dude, you can have one (1) Yeul" and she lives. And then the twist ending where the entire XIII trilogy is mythological prehistory and the world recreated when Lighting defeats Bhunivelze so everyone can be saved is Earth!!

I feel like this is simultaneously the most Final Fantasy Final Fantasy, and the least Final Fantasy Final Fantasy. I will not be elaborating on this.

-Dragoon: Fang returns and helps out in one of the areas, she's the Bandit Boss

-Cid: He's still dead and toward the end of the game, Chaos personifies itself as him to talk to Lighting, IIRC.

-Summons/Primals/Eikons: See: Chocobos, they also show up in the final cutscene

-Tonberries: Did not encounter any

-Chocobos: See Eidolons, but to clarify you tame one in one of the areas and it's also Lighting's Robot Pal Odin.

-Moogles: Mog returns, and there's a bunch of Moogles in the forest to do missions for

-Final Boss: Bhunivelze. I love him, he's like... a weird, like, baroque mechanical harlequin angel and that style of cyber-god is my jam. Once I figured out his first couple phases he was really easy, and then I bounced off of his fourth phase, and then when I came back to the game just now, he was really easy again.

Biggs and Wedge: Not present afaik

Time to beat: 30:26 in game, 32.8 hours in Steam.

Overall rating: Probably my least favorite FNC game/10, but still very good. I couldn't get my controller to work no matter what I did so I played it with a keyboard and it never felt natural, which detracted from my experience. The story was whacky and really cool, and I think the garb system and the way you acquire, upgrade, and use skills is really clever and neat.

Up next: Finally gonna play FFX-2, then Crisis Core, then IV: The After Years, then I guess I twiddle my thumbs until XVI comes out on PC

EDIT: I'll look for replies if anyone is still interested in my dumb thoughts about decade(s) old Final Fantasy games but since I'm going to be doing my best to avoid XVI spoilers until I can play it (good luck, me), I might miss replies.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 25, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A number of WRPGs are also turn-based, even if they sometimes also have rtwp as an option. Baldurs Gate 3 and Pathfinder are some major examples

If you're specifically just looking for Japanese games don't be surprised if they have aesthetics in common with other Japanese media

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Too bad revenant wings kinda sucks. Not because it’s an RTS but because it’s a bad RTS.

Make a halo wars style RTS between dissidia-style armies.

Baron vs. The Evil Empire vs. The Evil Empire vs. The Evil Empire

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Final Fantasy XVI appears to be divisive due to being very action-y, FFXVII will be a straight up RTS. FFXVIII will be a soccer management sim

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

We can only hope

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FF16, Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Yakuza, and Dragon Quest are all the same game, since you are not creating your own abilities, you're just learning and equpping abilities as you level up and get more currency/AP to buy them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FrostyPox posted:

Final Fantasy XVI appears to be divisive due to being very action-y, FFXVII will be a straight up RTS. FFXVIII will be a soccer management sim

FFXIX will be a physical pachinko machine

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Revenant Wings was fun, a lot better than the Mana RTS that preceded it

Mordiceius posted:

And yet only one FF has materia.

:wrong:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

FrostyPox posted:

FFXVIII will be a soccer blitzball management sim

There we go.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

EDIT: I'll look for replies if anyone is still interested in my dumb thoughts about decade(s) old Final Fantasy games but since I'm going to be doing my best to avoid XVI spoilers until I can play it (good luck, me), I might miss replies.

I look forward to your thoughts on FFX-2, FrostyPox!

Design for Real God Bhunivelze is super cool and I liked that there was enough of a fight to figure out rather than just steamroll which is common in FF. Him calling for Lindzei and Pulse only for them to be equipped as a (cool) weapon is a nice touch. The rest of FNC treats them as basically independent gods in their own right, but it was a stark reminder that they're just as much slave tools as their fal'Cie. One last example of God being a controlling rear end in a top hat

Playing with kb/m sounds like hell though

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

are you one of those goons who think xenoblade 1 isn't anime

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
You know what I want now? Side-scroller Final Fantasy. They've never done that before, have they?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

You know what I want now? Side-scroller Final Fantasy. They've never done that before, have they?

Final Fantasy 15: A King's Tale was a side scroller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

E;FB :argh:

Keromaru5 posted: