Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

That's surprisingly mainstream for them

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Basebf555 posted:

Off the top of my head my Criterion wishlist would be(assuming all of these would be UHDs):

Popeye(any 4k Altman would be worth the upgrade though)
Fitzcarraldo
Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
There Will Be Blood/The Master
The Searchers
Doctor Zhivago
Manhunter
The Fountain

I don't know if PTA is on board with 4k, I've lost the links but there was chatter when everyone was waiting for the Licorice Pizza UHD (which never came) and I think he's part of a consortium which has concerns about how HDR is handled? At any rate, Phantom Thread remains the only PTA film to get a 4k release so far. Let's hope his concerns soon are assuaged.

I do have the Plain Archive release of Master from 2015, which has rich packaging (including lush booklets in 2/3 Korean) but I would gladly add a Criterion to it. That the 2008 release is all we have of There's Blood All Over the Place seems almost criminal. But it's fine, I have it and can watch it whenever I want!

Oh and if anyone Stateside wants to do a proper release of Hard Eight, that'd be great. I wasn't shelling out upwards of $50 shipped for that AU release that Imprint crapped out using an old scan and DVD special features.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/VinegarSyndromeFilms/comments/14ffthf/showgirls_replacement_program/

I didn't see anyone post about this here so, I thought I would share

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Huh, is that only noticeable if you watch it with a surround system? I bought it as a gift for a friend and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the replacement disc before sending it off or if it'll be fine since they just have a pretty normal setup.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Huh, is that only noticeable if you watch it with a surround system? I bought it as a gift for a friend and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for the replacement disc before sending it off or if it'll be fine since they just have a pretty normal setup.

I would wait for a replacement, they should have the best sound.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

People on reddit said it only affects the 5.1 version of the audio track

Doesn't really bother me as I am a pleb that is fine with the speakers on my TV

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I love that they just ship the replacements and you don’t have to chase them down, if you buy a lot of physical media that can be really frustrating for sure

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

pwn posted:

I don't know if PTA is on board with 4k, I've lost the links but there was chatter when everyone was waiting for the Licorice Pizza UHD (which never came) and I think he's part of a consortium which has concerns about how HDR is handled? At any rate, Phantom Thread remains the only PTA film to get a 4k release so far. Let's hope his concerns soon are assuaged.

I do have the Plain Archive release of Master from 2015, which has rich packaging (including lush booklets in 2/3 Korean) but I would gladly add a Criterion to it. That the 2008 release is all we have of There's Blood All Over the Place seems almost criminal. But it's fine, I have it and can watch it whenever I want!

Oh and if anyone Stateside wants to do a proper release of Hard Eight, that'd be great. I wasn't shelling out upwards of $50 shipped for that AU release that Imprint crapped out using an old scan and DVD special features.

I guess my hope would be that because PTA has an existing relationship with Criterion, if they gave him full control and veto power over the transfer(including not doing it with HDR if that's what he decides) maybe he would agree to to a UHD.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Also holy hell we are overdue for Big Fancy Editions of Boogie Nights and Magnolia. Both of my Blu-rays are direct 1:1s of their New Line Platinum DVD predecessors, down to the cover art (though in standard Blu-ray cases, not digipacks like the DVDs).

To be fair, the original art was excellent and I like that they used it. The features were also comprehensive, especially for Boogie Nights, which has one of the few commentary track PTA did.

Looking up the commentary thing just now, I learned that the DVD/Blu commentary differs from that which appears on the Criterion Laserdisc, of course, they don't license out their special features. There is a sampler on Twitter

https://twitter.com/JFrankensteiner/status/1296602618576408576

He definitely covers some of these points in the DVD commentary, so it might be the same one? Or he re-recorded it? I'm gonna have to pop that disc in again tonight. Any excuse to watch Boogie Nights.

Edit: forgot to include this Criterion easter egg, on Archive!

https://archive.org/details/pta.bn.cbc

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 23, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

PinkoBastard posted:

I love that they just ship the replacements and you don’t have to chase them down, if you buy a lot of physical media that can be really frustrating for sure

Criterion asking for proof that I broke my citizens kane disc before sending a replacement was too funny.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is Spinal Tap needs a modern Criterion release.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The Fly would be incredible! Right now I have my eye on a Japanese BD that is region 1 and still includes the full English version unsubbed. The Wall is one of those I'm surprised hasn't been done yet. Blacula is a great cut, too.

Roger Waters has had a hair across his rear end about that movie since it came out so I'm not holding my breath for a blu-ray release.

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that makes it very rewatchable is they added some nice veteran presence with Jeffrey Combs and Bill Cobbs, plus you have an early Jack Black appearance. I also think Brandy is much better than Sarah Michelle Geller. I always thought it was a bummer that they never did a third movie where they could've brought Brandy back and maybe even passed the torch to her for an ongoing series.

I don't remember a lot about I Still Know and the movie itself I could take it or leave it but it also has one of my all time favorite horror movie moments. It's the scene where just before the bad guy kill Jack Black in the most stoned voice ever he goes "Dude, don't!".

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BradFHenderson/status/1672094604139610114?s=20

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
This is a pretty big haul in a week for me. I've watched the avatar movies earlier this week but I'm really excited to check out the game trilogy.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeverinFilms/status/1672259709355827200

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Severins getting all my money once that stuffs up for sale

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

pwn posted:

tbh every last one of PTA's movies need Criterion releases, or something comparable

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Happy Hippo posted:

tbh every last one of PTA's movies need Criterion releases, or something comparable

I hope whenever it happens it's not a box set. I'd like to buy TWBB and Boogie Nights, but I still think Magnolia is a giant waste of time and wouldn't need that one.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Heat in 4K is $8 on Amazon rn

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sale for Blue Underground films from Grindhouse Video.
https://grindhousevideo.com/collections/blue-underground-sale

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easy way to find out if a movie is out of print or not?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

bowmore posted:

Is there an easy way to find out if a movie is out of print or not?

search it on ebay

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You can also ask in this thread and use the hive mind of a hundred idiots with too much money esteemed art collectors.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Liar Lyre posted:

Sale for Blue Underground films from Grindhouse Video.
https://grindhousevideo.com/collections/blue-underground-sale

Aaaaaand the website's swamped.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Happy Hippo posted:

Heat in 4K is $8 on Amazon rn

Thanks for the heads up!

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1672982990476001280?t=zBmjLJ2DIYvEo-CZoyxM-g&s=19

Can we get a version that censors all the hompohbic slurs? Because the use of those mars the movie for me.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Anyone know if there is a Solaris (Soderbergh 2002 one) blu ray? Also a search yields some 2018 articles talking about a 4K release but not seeing anything. There seems to be a German blu ray on Amazon at least.

Glistening Jones
Jun 19, 2023

by vyelkin
If I have Boggy Creek 2, will I be lost if I haven't seen Boggy Creek 1?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Glistening Jones posted:

No but boggy creek 1 is excellent

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

Glistening Jones posted:

Agreed with MZ Boggy Creek legit rocks, 2 is terrible but loving hilarious. You absolutely don’t need to see the first to understand the second. But like, buy the first

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I got Apocalypse Tetralogy blind and from what I’ve seen so far these movies are so creative and weird and funny. The photography is beautiful. Amazing package!

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 25, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I watched the first game trilogy movie with yusaku matsuda and it's wild fun. Extremely corny 70s pulp with a weirdly complicated plot. Hoping for more from the next one.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1673239323838382081?s=20

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

No one in the comments talking about how good high and low is, smh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Sleepy Hollow 4k announced for September. Halloween season is shaping up! I do like when they have spooky releases in September so that I can buy them without worrying that they might not get into my hands by October 31st.

Oh drat this is actually a really nice looking steelbook for once:

https://www.amazon.com/Sleepy-Hollow-4K-Blu-ray/dp/B0C8TWNPJ2?tag=bluray-016-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 26, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

grabbed another custom slipcover

I think this one turned out better than the Slumber Party Massacre one I purchased from the same seller too.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

dorium posted:

grabbed another custom slipcover

I think this one turned out better than the Slumber Party Massacre one I purchased from the same seller too.

That's super sick! I'm planning on getting a custom slipcover for The Final Girls once I buy that. Love that there's someone out there making cool custom slipcovers and cases for movies that need them.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/NextBestPicture/status/1673292233016000513?s=20

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

My birthday :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Time to send my family my birthday list five months early :getin:

This is gonna be fun. I have to decide which ones I want to pick up then and which I want to wait on for gifts... I mean I only have 13 or so on my list so y'know, for all I know between my two paychecks I'll have plenty but we'll see. In The Mood For Love 4K, Multiple Maniacs, and a few David Lynch ones are definite.