Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

Picked up the Harrow audiobook. Didn't expect that now I was the Ninth House necromancer goblin turned Lyctor but you never know the places you'll go.

I mean there is a clue in the title. Very accurate last sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
If each title indicates the primary pov character for the novel I am very excited about Alecto

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

DreamingofRoses posted:

If each title indicates the primary pov character for the novel I am very excited about Alecto

Still torn whether I really want or really don't want the prose to be in the style of the final chapter of Nona

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Interludes in that style would be neat but I think the whole thing would just be way too much of it.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

disposablewords posted:

Interludes in that style would be neat but I think the whole thing would just be way too much of it.

I think that’s where I am with it too. I’d hate to miss lines like ”Get in line thou big slut!” But my brain would not parse large bocks of text like that well.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
Tamsyn was a big hs fan writer though so she'd absolutely do that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't know if one could have fun writing in that style for as long as it would take.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Incidentally, it's interesting that Harrow's visions of the Body don't speak in any kind of stylized way.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://twitter.com/cosqF/status/1671518126586966016?t=6FXaKMAthAfkt5N-jXTiqg&s=19

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Harrowhark is great so far. Many questions which I do not ask because they're all spoilery as heck.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the audio of Nona and goddamn I love this series. Heading to post #1 to read through this thread, but holy poo poo these might be my favorite books. And I adore Moria Quirk's voices throughout the series.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Harrowhark is great so far. Many questions which I do not ask because they're all spoilery as heck.

Literally every question you have in Harrow has a spoilery answer, or "we don't know yet, wait for Alecto" it's great

Soonmot posted:

I just finished the audio of Nona and goddamn I love this series. Heading to post #1 to read through this thread, but holy poo poo these might be my favorite books. And I adore Moria Quirk's voices throughout the series.

Hell yeah. I think, after rereading and listening to all of them, Harrow ends up being the one I think is the best, and Gideon the most comforting, but it's all so good and so to my taste.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

silvergoose posted:

Literally every question you have in Harrow has a spoilery answer, or "we don't know yet, wait for Alecto" it's great

Hell yeah. I think, after rereading and listening to all of them, Harrow ends up being the one I think is the best, and Gideon the most comforting, but it's all so good and so to my taste.

Harrow really is the best, her voice comes through as such a spidery creeper. Like she sounds like the sinister advisor of some king who's trying to turn him against the heroes for nefarious purposes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dawgstar posted:

there is a whole set of questions which you can sort of deduce the answers to about souls jumping round and being held in objects.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ask yourself if the person with the speaking role is maybe alive or definitely dead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It is charming to find that even after 10,000 years somebody can still be really bad at metaphors.

(Magma fish.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

It is charming to find that even after 10,000 years somebody can still be really bad at metaphors.

(Magma fish.)

"We can live in magma." is so much fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I'm nearly at the end of relistening to Gideon, and it's ridiculous how incredibly good a lyctor Silas would have been if he hadn't been quite so eighth, with his ability to siphon.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

silvergoose posted:

I'm nearly at the end of relistening to Gideon, and it's ridiculous how incredibly good a lyctor Silas would have been if he hadn't been quite so eighth, with his ability to siphon.

I kind of liked that bit. Silas was a judgemental, self-righteous, fanatic rear end in a top hat but drat if he didn't call Lyctorhood out as the horrific evil it is and commit himself full out to die trying to stop it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Everyone posted:

I kind of liked that bit. Silas was a judgemental, self-righteous, fanatic rear end in a top hat but drat if he didn't call Lyctorhood out as the horrific evil it is and commit himself full out to die trying to stop it.

Yeah me too. Sexpal said it best, really. "You are an intellectual cretin and a dog in a manger, but at least you're consistent."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Similarly, the Second House are the ones who realize they're in a horror movie and want people to stop doing things that will cause them to die, but they aren't very effective, partially because they're also both a bit of a dick, but mostly because everybody else at Canaan House really, really likes doing things that will cause them to die.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

silvergoose posted:

Cytherea could also siphon (we see her do it to Ianthe) tho.

Silas is pretty interesting,however, because he hated the way to become a Lyctor, even with him also using his cavalier as a battery.Lyctorhood is just the ultimate version of that. I guess he did really treasure Brother Asht, after all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It was charming how quickly Pal nixed the notion of becoming a Lyctor because of what it would do to Cam.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Scallop Eyes posted:

Cytherea could also siphon (we see her do it to Ianthe) tho.

Silas is pretty interesting,however, because he hated the way to become a Lyctor, even with him also using his cavalier as a battery.Lyctorhood is just the ultimate version of that. I guess he did really treasure Brother Asht, after all.

his whole thing until it got all hosed up was being able to bring Asht back every single time, which doesn't really work with Lyctorization

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The thing about having "treat people as objects" as your whole thing is that you know exactly what the difference between 90% dead and 100% dead is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
i am 21 pages into this thread and the excitment y'all are feeling at the cover reveal of Nona is adorable.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Also of note is that had the trial gone down as originally intended there was enough raw necromantic genius in the building to figure out perfect lyctorhood. Had Cytherea not interfered it's possible that John would have had to deal with explaining 8 true lyctors to his remaining 4 originals. Sextus did eventually figure it out just thanks to all the extra knowledge he gained on his adventure after all.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 26, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Huh.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010
Lyctorhood: Having finished Nona, I am not even sure that John and Alecto have perfect lyctorhood? According to Harrolectos' dream conversation, John ate and ate all he could of Alecto - but there was just too much of her soul to devour so that there was enough of her left to put in the Barbie body?

G. Nav: Nona sees (feels) that Gideon is the saddest person possible in the role of the corpse prince. Gideon wants to open the tomb at all cost. Plus "Get in line, you...". For me, Gideon has played Ianthe and even Dod to get Harrow back. We'll see!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Loki Kunti posted:

Lyctorhood: Having finished Nona, I am not even sure that John and Alecto have perfect lyctorhood? According to Harrolectos' dream conversation, John ate and ate all he could of Alecto - but there was just too much of her soul to devour so that there was enough of her left to put in the Barbie body?

G. Nav: Nona sees (feels) that Gideon is the saddest person possible in the role of the corpse prince. Gideon wants to open the tomb at all cost. Plus "Get in line, you...". For me, Gideon has played Ianthe and even Dod to get Harrow back. We'll see!

here's a qn: do you think gideon is different, or just really sad?

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

sebmojo posted:

here's a qn: do you think gideon is different, or just really sad?

She feels different to me, no question. On the other hand, what she does leads to the opening of the tomb.
Of course, friendship bracelets...
In my mind, Gideon would never wear friendship bracelets from Ianthe. Period.
Maximum for Harrow. If she asks nicely. Or especially if she doesn't.
So, I am sure that Gideon is being partially forced to act in this way.
Or she is missing an important part of her soul.

Would the fourth book be published soon, please? :cry:

Nona:
In Nona, there was a lower, a medium, and an upper part - Gaia, Alecto, Nona? Id, ego, superego?
Or parts of Gideon's, Alecto 's and Harrow's souls which together sum up to Nona?

Ianthe:
Which other meat puppets is Ianthe steering when she talks to Crownbeth as Babs? Only the other soldiers in the barracks? Or am I missing something obvious? Ianthe is claiming that steering several puppets from so far away is difficult even for her Lyctorhood.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Loki Kunti posted:

Ianthe:
Which other meat puppets is Ianthe steering when she talks to Crownbeth as Babs? Only the other soldiers in the barracks? Or am I missing something obvious? Ianthe is claiming that steering several puppets from so far away is difficult even for her Lyctorhood.

NtN: Yes she has them all meat puppeted in a nice little parade formation around them all when they have the big showdown. They twitch when she takes a hit or sudden move.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

NtN: Yes she has them all meat puppeted in a nice little parade formation around them all when they have the big showdown. They twitch when she takes a hit or sudden move.

Ok, thanks. I was partially thinking that she was also steering the corpse prince (or someone totally different) when I started to read these passages.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Loki Kunti posted:

She feels different to me, no question. On the other hand, what she does leads to the opening of the tomb.
Of course, friendship bracelets...
In my mind, Gideon would never wear friendship bracelets from Ianthe. Period.
Maximum for Harrow. If she asks nicely. Or especially if she doesn't.
So, I am sure that Gideon is being partially forced to act in this way.
Or she is missing an important part of her soul.

Would the fourth book be published soon, please? :cry:

Nona:
In Nona, there was a lower, a medium, and an upper part - Gaia, Alecto, Nona? Id, ego, superego?
Or parts of Gideon's, Alecto 's and Harrow's souls which together sum up to Nona?

Ianthe:

I thought that was Alecto, harrow, nona.

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I thought that was Alecto, harrow, nona.

Going from Pyrrha's rear end jokes and Nona's joy about them, I have just now convinced myself that there must be some percent of Gideon in the mix :ghost:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Earth is not flat and can appreciate a good rear end joke all on her own thank you very much.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
pyrrha rules

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

Earth is not flat and can appreciate a good rear end joke all on her own thank you very much.

"What have you been eating, my green thing?" :classiclol: :butt:

Oh God John, I just got that there is sooo much about eating in the books. Harrow does not eat (much), everyone eats Harrow, Nona does not like to eat, Varun the eater, eating souls, ... I don't know why this was not one of the main topics in my head. Probably because eating is normal for me and I'm just here for a well-rounded ending. Of the story, I mean.

NtN: The tower must be the place where Jod's put all the souls, or?

[Souls before] = [Souls resurrected, non-awake] + [Souls resurrected, awake] + [???] Math does not add up, see me after class. A. Belle

Loki Kunti fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 26, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rand Brittain posted:

The thing about having "treat people as objects" as your whole thing is that you know exactly what the difference between 90% dead and 100% dead is.

Mostly dead is still slightly alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Loki Kunti posted:

NtN: The tower must be the place where Jod's put all the souls, or?

[Souls before] = [Souls resurrected, non-awake] + [Souls resurrected, awake] + [???] Math does not add up, see me after class. A. Belle

Paper-thin speculation:

Tamsyn’s name-dropped Terranigma in previous interviews, a game in which you spend the first few hours climbing towers in the underworld to rescue souls belonging to people from your village.

I’d put less stock in this theory IMO if we hadn’t already had confirmation that one of the RBs is explicitly modelled from an FFX boss.