Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The entire first arc after the twins are teens is about how the industry does not give a gently caress about the actors other than what they can do and if they can keep things running smoothly.

The Love Now arc explicitly calls out how lovely the editors and producers are when it comes to how they frame scenes.

I do not think Oshi No Ko, at any point is forgiving of the idol industry or the movie industry. It finds a nobility in or admires the actors/actresses/performers who participate and deal with everything.

Like yeah Aqua and Ruby are lucky because of supernatural circumstances which is why the worst case scenario is often avoided with them like with Akane. Ruby is protected because Aqua and Miyako protect and insulate her. The manga doesn't go as dark as like it could, but like to say it is making excuses for the idol companies and production side is a take that like I just don't see. The entire series is about how the industry takes talented enthusiastic young people extracts all they can fron them and then discards them when they are no longer useful.

To me it's like the Get Out fakeout ending, like you know what time it is when you see the lights, but you don't always need to actually go through with it in your your fictional supernatural story. They don't need to do the Terrance House thing to it's logical endgame, as that literally happened, people know that real life is not so convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i read the first chapter of oshi no ko and it ended with some reincarnation horseshit and i felt no desire to continue

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Witch Watch has gone back to having a plot again!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dexo posted:

Like yeah Aqua and Ruby are lucky because of supernatural circumstances which is why the worst case scenario is often avoided with them like with Akane. Ruby is protected because Aqua and Miyako protect and insulate her. The manga doesn't go as dark as like it could, but like to say it is making excuses for the idol companies and production side is a take that like I just don't see. The entire series is about how the industry takes talented enthusiastic young people extracts all they can fron them and then discards them when they are no longer useful.

It's not about making excuses for the companies so much as viewing the problem as "a problem of individual actors - whether it's producers, media figures, or fans - doing bad things" rather than a problem inherent to the business itself.

This isn't exactly uncommon - nearly all media that involve topics like this take this perspective, because we live in societies where such a perspective is normal. But I guess my argument is that I don't think it's any better (or worse) than any other media about a topic like this, so I don't really agree with praising it on the basis that it takes a "realistic" view of the industry.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think a lot of people's brains get broken when talking about Oshi no Ko because they can't comprehend that the series isn't intended to be a scathing condemnation of the entire entertainment industry so much as just being more realistic about how it operates, and that makes people who want it to be that scathing condemnation upset and dissatisfied, especially if they were sold on the idea that the series is that kind of thing by your casual online idiot.

People go into OnK wanting to confirm their own biases and opinions that the entertainment industries sucks, and when it doesn't do that they get upset and dissatisfied with it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I went into it knowing basically nothing other than it was written by the Love is War mangaka, and I loved that series. I fell off it mostly due to how the two kids acted in the wake of (spoilers for the first 10 chapters) them being reincarnated. I get that Ruby had a lovely life in the past so she'd be stoked at a second chance, but it never made sense to me why Aqua didn't seem to have ANY interest in his past life. Did he not have any friends or family? He didn't seem particularly miserable as an adult, it wasn't really believable to me that he'd be so stoked to be reborn. I also hate the "two characters never talk for pretty much no reason" trope. Ruby heard Aqua SAY HER OLD NAME and never thought to ask him about it? Over the few years of the first 10 chapters Aqua never once tried to learn anything about her?? I also found Ai's characterization kind of weird. She's sixteen and having twins, and is just super duper stoked? She doesn't seem to have any anxiety or worries about the fact that this is a massive life-changing thing that could cost her entire future? Like I get that she wanted to feel love for-realsies so she dove in head-first, and it's not unheard of for teenagers to want a child for a source of unconditional love, but it just didn't feel believable to me.

I swear I'm not trying to cinema sins DING this poo poo, but it really took me out of the story cus it felt like nobody was acting like a real person. It really felt like they were just rushing through the plot beats to get to the time skip. It never felt like the author stopped to think how real people would react in these situations. Which made me hesitant to continue reading, due to wondering "what else will they rush through / shoehorn for the sake of getting to a desired plot point?"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

First few chapters of Oshi no Ko are its worst because the reincarnation feels like a gimmick when you're presented with it.

Ai is cool though

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They really did put the Undead Unluck millstone around OnK's neck for me with the reincarnation plot and the fact that (Big, current-ish OnK Spoilers) The writer has to spend a chapter to have god come in and say "Yo, your mom's so dead she ain't coming back." seems to indicate that maybe he's regretting it to some degree, too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Julias posted:

I think a lot of people's brains get broken when talking about Oshi no Ko because they can't comprehend that the series isn't intended to be a scathing condemnation of the entire entertainment industry so much as just being more realistic about how it operates, and that makes people who want it to be that scathing condemnation upset and dissatisfied, especially if they were sold on the idea that the series is that kind of thing by your casual online idiot.

People go into OnK wanting to confirm their own biases and opinions that the entertainment industries sucks, and when it doesn't do that they get upset and dissatisfied with it.

I'm fine with this and don't have any significant problem with the series on this basis (since it's basically true of virtually all media about topics like this). I'm just disagreeing with people who directly praise it on that basis (which I've seen quite a bit), and I don't think there's any meaningful difference between Oshi no Ko's perspective and the perspective of pretty much any other idol-related media.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would def be more interested in onk without the gimmick

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Demon Lord Exchange has been cute so far. Nothing spectacular, but I'm enjoying it

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

Demon Lord Exchange has been cute so far. Nothing spectacular, but I'm enjoying it

I was about to post exactly this. This is the kind of setup where they would go full on Ayakashi but it’s been going for the cute and sometimes amusing angle more.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

I was about to post exactly this. This is the kind of setup where they would go full on Ayakashi but it’s been going for the cute and sometimes amusing angle more.

Yeah, it's very not-horny so far (at least compared to AT) and I like that in the second chapter the Priest realizes that the big bad Demon Lord didn't switch bodies with the Hero because of some nefarious scheme, he did it because he was bored and lonely. Sets a good tone for the series.

Also gonna call my shot and say that the Hero won't want to switch back after a year, and maybe even organizes the Demons into an actual nation again. Not necessarily for evil reasons, but it'll end up causing conflict regardless.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yeah, I’m very curious about what became of the hero herself. She’s in the demon lord’s body, but so far we have no idea what’s happening with her. Noticeably, the demon lord still seems to have his powers. I could imagine that with the demon lord gone the demons would stop listening to a weaker demon lord.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Comedically, She's so good as the demon lord that she's doing a better job than he ever did.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, I’m very curious about what became of the hero herself. She’s in the demon lord’s body, but so far we have no idea what’s happening with her. Noticeably, the demon lord still seems to have his powers. I could imagine that with the demon lord gone the demons would stop listening to a weaker demon lord.

I'll bet that the only real difference in power between the two of them is their mana pool; as we saw at the end of the first chapter, just casting one big spell drained the Demon Lord, so while he might know all sorts of powerful spells, he's now handicapped by his human-sized mana pool. Meanwhile the Hero probably only knows weaker spells, but now she can go hog-wild with them. Plus, she's been fighting all this time while the Demon Lord was just hanging out by himself, she'll be fine.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Comedically, She's so good as the demon lord that she's doing a better job than he ever did.

It'll be this

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It'll be like Maou* only instead of it being Gamilons it's a better written story!

* and that will be the first time in years that anyone's mentioned that show worth a darn

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

I'll bet that the only real difference in power between the two of them is their mana pool; as we saw at the end of the first chapter, just casting one big spell drained the Demon Lord, so while he might know all sorts of powerful spells, he's now handicapped by his human-sized mana pool. Meanwhile the Hero probably only knows weaker spells, but now she can go hog-wild with them. Plus, she's been fighting all this time while the Demon Lord was just hanging out by himself, she'll be fine.
Turns out 1,000 Fireballs burns just as good as one Mega-flare.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

Turns out 1,000 Fireballs burns just as good as one Mega-flare.

I haven't read the series, but this is making me think of a punch rush but with magic and that sounds way cooler than one big bang.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

I haven't read the series, but this is making me think of a punch rush but with magic and that sounds way cooler than one big bang.

Story hasn't gotten back to Filina so we'll see how she's coping being in the demon lord's body down the line.

For me I was remembering a character from Battle in 5 Seconds, who can copy powers but they were scaled down to 1/10 the original. This is for any attribute of the ability but she didn't understand the full implications of that. She copied a cannon ability which is consistently one of the stronger offensive powers but not only was her damage output 1/10 the original, so was her cooldown/reload time. So she could fire off more shots in the same time her opponent could only fire 1 making it practically as dangerous as the single shot given she can spray and pray to cover a wider area as well as focus fire.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

Not a particularly high bar to clear since the current demon lord apparently did nothing these past 150 years except for repeatedly saying "don't attack humans" and sitting in his castle, looking out the window wistfully

Literally anything she does makes her a higher-impact / "better" demon lord

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

the magic version of that is the dragon ball thing where someone throws a ton of hadokens and is then shocked that it didn't work

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Manatee Cannon posted:

the magic version of that is the dragon ball thing where someone throws a ton of hadokens and is then shocked that it didn't work

gently caress, you're right

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A new series started in SJ today, Ice Head Gil and I'm not too sure about it. I think the biggest problem is probably the tone being all over the place where it is trying to ride the line between silly and serious but they just can't find a good balance and it clashes too hard.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's too much going on and it doesn't fit together very well. i suppose it could improve with time, but obviously it won't get any.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
My Girlfriend gives me Goosebumps: Ok, so Tokano was already bugging his room and being RIGHT THERE when a phone call about her was going on. But now she's been given permission to go weapons free and it's going to be fantastic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Undead Unluck:
Is going back over every female character it had and giving them a fairer shake in new game+.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Undead Unluck:
Is going back over every female character it had and giving them a fairer shake in new game+.

Yeah the NG+ is lasting a while but it is doing so to give the entire cast a chance to shine which is nice

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle:

Words to live by...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Undead Unluck:

To be fair, last loop Shen’s sister was stronger than him which led to the tragedy that awakened his Untruth when Shen pitted him against her.
But hot dang this manga has been on fire since the loop started. I’m convinced a big part is the lack of Andy. Loving this tournament arc and cranky Shen.

Mashle: I can’t wait for the ceremony. Time for a victory dance.

Sakamoto: You know, Slur really doesn’t do much but hype the latest assassin. Good thing those guys have charisma to pull it off. And poo poo this action looked great again.

Fabricant: I wonder what is happening here. Maybe 3 illusions or something?

Edit: MMA: seems like fun. It really does feel like Kenichi without all the ecchi.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 25, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Why is his codename Slur anyway. Did he have a gamer moment after his second personality emerge.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

A new series started in SJ today, Ice Head Gil and I'm not too sure about it. I think the biggest problem is probably the tone being all over the place where it is trying to ride the line between silly and serious but they just can't find a good balance and it clashes too hard.

Yeah, I think you nailed it. Things just weren't clicking while I was reading it and I couldn't put my finger on why.

Also. I don't think I like the MC's design

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh yeah, that is an absolute terrible character design. Like, what is going on with his hair?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Shounen protagonist randomizer rear end character design.

Only read sakamoto so far today but goddamn it continues to be so cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ice head gil is a dumb name so I didn't read it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I didn't hate it, and I guess the premise could get good if the figure out what they want the tone to be. It doesn't feel like a stayer regardless, though. I feel the same about Nue's Exorcist. Just kinda boring but not offensively bad.

I am enjoying the MMA one, though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I just now realized you can call it "MMA" and that's correct. Clever.

MMA is definitely the most interesting new series since at least Fabricant

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not as strong as first chapter but i've decided i'm all in on MMA.

This one's going places

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

is mma by the hinomaru no sumo artist? it reminds me of that anyway

I like it so far, it's fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I really wish we could get something like Red Hood again but with a stronger story. That had such a cool world. Ice Head Gil’s Norse setting is interesting but yeah, I don’t really feel like there’s more than that.