Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

During that opening sequence of the episode i almost expected to see Kid's SBS flashback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1672794973119578112?s=20

Holy poo poo Ian on One Piece

(Potentially the first goon to have worked on an anime)

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I love the grey and white stills at the start, that is not something I think has ever been in One Piece and it fit so fantastically.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the pacing still sucks but the animation as of late has probably been some of the best the series has ever had

As has been mentioned, when Gear 5 is finally introduced I hope the anime goes full Tex Avery with it

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

One piece needs more team fights because they’re always extremely good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, latest episode was great, also that's the first time in awhile I've reacted so strongly to TO BE CONTINUED :lol:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, latest episode was great, also that's the first time in awhile I've reacted so strongly to TO BE CONTINUED :lol:

I forget, was that the first time the anime ever modified the “To Be Continued” text?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 25, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

First episode i've watched since roof piece. It was pretty solid.

First like 30 seconds were a very cool addition by the anime.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Larryb posted:

I forget, was that the first time the anime ever modified the “To Be Continued” text?

Theyve been doing it a whole lot ever since roofpiece started

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Even earlier than that, they started it when Sanji donned the Germa suit and kept it going since then. It’s really cool, I like that they do it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kidd and Law pulling Luffy out of the water and launching him into the sky in the current anime op is pretty funny metaphor in hindsight.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Good collection of highlights here

https://twitter.com/houkinkk/status/1672906706035015681?s=46&t=kRx4sq76ryXHjk6wINOgEw

Animation that follows a character when they teleport always looks so loving cool

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

sorry folks but images on paper were never meant to move.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

https://twitter.com/houkinkk/status/1672906706035015681?s=46&t=kRx4sq76ryXHjk6wINOgEw

Animation that follows a character when they teleport always looks so loving cool

holy poo poo

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I hope Big Mom comes back

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Big Mom is an incredibly cool villian.

I can't decide if her or Doflamingo is my favorite.

Katakuri is def my favorite foe-turned-sort-of-friend though.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Cat Machine posted:

these look loving sick

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

reminder that no matter what you see in those clips, it's Never a good time to watch anime.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
A compilation of the stills for Kidd if anyone cares to have a look.

https://imgur.com/82vI3JI

I really love the choice of using that art direction, I hope we see more of it in the future.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Asuron posted:

A compilation of the stills for Kidd if anyone cares to have a look.

https://imgur.com/82vI3JI

I really love the choice of using that art direction, I hope we see more of it in the future.

I can't wait for them to reuse these for Kidd's "In Memoriam" montage when Shanks obliterates him.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Funky Valentine posted:

I can't wait for them to reuse these for Kidd's "In Memoriam" montage when Shanks obliterates him.

honestly I would lol forever if they actually went with this :perfect:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

Have it set to "We Were"

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Lpzie posted:

reminder that no matter what you see in those clips, it's Never a good time to watch anime.
There were some amazing moments in those animations... but even in those highlights there were prolonged repetitive reaction shots that broke up the flow.

One Pace is going to be really amazing someday though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope the anime takes the first opportunity it's had in years to have a good-sized filler arc after Wano, both to get a little bit more space going and also

I would maybe like to see some more fun Jinbe times before going into the final saga

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I hope the anime takes the first opportunity it's had in years to have a good-sized filler arc after Wano, both to get a little bit more space going and also

I would maybe like to see some more fun Jinbe times before going into the final saga

Not counting movie tie ins I believe the last straight filler arc the anime ever did was right after Punk Hazard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Larryb posted:

Not counting movie tie ins I believe the last straight filler arc the anime ever did was right after Punk Hazard

Yeah, there was pretty much no room in the story for one since then.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Electric Phantasm posted:

Have it set to "We Were"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeluzD_hxk

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The fight should take 30 seconds and have no memorial.

Just Bam, done.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Can we put this in the thread OP or something, its pretty awesome.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Man we've been loving with Kidd's name for so long I can only read that as eustASS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I’ve lost all sense and track of time, where are we in the long wait? Halfway??

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Guy A. Person posted:

I’ve lost all sense and track of time, where are we in the long wait? Halfway??

2 of the 5 weeks have passed, so a little under halfway.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Seeing Law perched on Big Mom's nose is so weird. I know she's pretty tall but drat. Felt the same way seeing just how big Katakuri was compared to Luffy on a size chart.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 26, 2023

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I love how the One Piece anime went from completely half-assed in Dressrosa to a bunch of passionate industry workers busting their chops in every episode. It's really cool to see OP's production getting the attention and care it deserves.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
They had a change in directors a few years back and they had been working on animation tools which allowed them to do what they're doing now. It's a really big turnaround and really shows the difference between a director who gives a poo poo and one who is kinda checked out ( those Dressrosa years were just insanely terrible and was led by a industry veteran if I recall).

Hell even having an american direct an episode for such a big show is such a big shift in culture, it's the first time I can think of it happening across the anime industry.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I still really wish they'd drop the weekly schedule so it can have the pacing of an actual TV program

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I still really wish they'd drop the weekly schedule so it can have the pacing of an actual TV program

The weird thing is, One Piece used to have fairly decent pacing early on but sometime around Enies Lobby (and definitely by Marineford) they suddenly switched to adapting like a chapter or two per episode (sometimes not even that)

I assume the recaps every few episodes are the price we unfortunately have to pay for the uptick in animation quality though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 26, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

The weird thing is, One Piece used to have fairly decent pacing early on but sometime around Enies Lobby (and definitely by Marineford) they suddenly switched to adapting like a chapter or two per episode (sometimes not even that)

I assume the recaps every few episodes are the price we unfortunately have to pay for the uptick in animation quality though

It was Enies Lobbies because around the same time they cut EDs and just had extended OPs.

And tbh I'll take the recap episodes that I can skip if I get episodes that even the animators themselves are going online and hyping up.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 26, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The old system was they just had filler right? While everyone hated that at least you could just skip the filler episodes rather than all the canonical arcs just being wildly overpadded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The old system was they just had filler right? While everyone hated that at least you could just skip the filler episodes rather than all the canonical arcs just being wildly overpadded.

Pretty much, though that one arc where the crew were trapped on a marine base wasn’t bad (in fact, it might have even been a scrapped manga story that Oda lent them)