Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like dude gets hit by car and then immediate cut to credits would give it more impact.

I would have have the dude get hit by the car, then the background music cuts out and we silently cut to each of the characters horrified faces, finishing on Power and Kobeni looking absolutely terrified and stunned, then we cut to credits.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm surprised there aren't more cults, really. the setting seems like very fertile ground for it. no cults at all would also make sense, as pochita ate all sorts of things.

There's now a Chainsaw Man cult, which I'm sure will work out great for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
what i'm saying is that lots of cults or no cults would both make sense, but few cults is a headscratcher. human thoughts cause the power of individual devils to fluctuate, so cults could actually be very powerful. but instead, they've never come up until just now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

what i'm saying is that lots of cults or no cults would both make sense, but few cults is a headscratcher. human thoughts cause the power of individual devils to fluctuate, so cults could actually be very powerful. but instead, they've never come up until just now.

I would not be surprised if killing cults off is common for demons. Didn't the praise of humans weaken Chainsaw Man?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the odd thing is that a cult that venerated a devil would weaken that devil, but a cult that hated and feared a devil would empower them instead. i guess it might be too much of a tangent because that's not really what the story is about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

yum posted:

lol before this chapter I always thought Yoshida knew that guy was an assassin but was showing him mercy by pretending not to know but this new piece of characterization makes this scene so much better

Now here's the real question: who put this poor autistic teenager in charge of public safety? He was not built for this level of upper management, let him just go to school and occasionally assassinate people.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
You'd think mankind would have invaded Hell by now, see how those assholes like it for a change.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Now here's the real question: who put this poor autistic teenager in charge of public safety? He was not built for this level of upper management, let him just go to school and occasionally assassinate people.

Denji did. When he murdered his boss. Now everyone's looking at him.

Personally, he'd pass on the job. He doesn't enjoy being this close to Asa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Denji did. When he murdered his boss. Now everyone's looking at him.

Personally, he'd pass on the job. He doesn't enjoy being this close to Asa.

Dude wasn't even part of Public Safety! He was a merc Makima hired!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ImpAtom posted:

Dude wasn't even part of Public Safety! He was a merc Makima hired!

Public safety really is not doing so great if so many of the higher ranks got killed off that the teenager working there part time got forcibly promoted to CEO because he was the only one on the payroll still breathing.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I don't think he's actually in charge of public safety. I get the feeling he's either just in charge of this operation, or was specifically left in charge of watching Denji, and now that things are going out of control he's trying to pull whatever resources he can to try and neutralize the wild card.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they put him in charge because he's reliable and knows denji. however, he's reliable because he fights devils for a living, which he is quite good at. his competence in a very specific field does not extend further.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Denji knows he's a good boy, confirmed

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Yes - restaurants and convenience stores are still operational (which is fairly unbelievable). Like CSM tokyo is just as functional as today which implies insane levels of fortitude/optimism in the people of CSM world. The people in that world are impressive!

Well, that's one possibility. Thought exercise: swap the setting and background characters of Chainsaw Man and Invader Zim. How long would it take anyone to spot the difference?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Denji's unhinged frankness about his basic life desires continues to be weirdly inspirational.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DeadBonesBrook posted:

You'd think mankind would have invaded Hell by now, see how those assholes like it for a change.

humanity takes a single step thru the gates of hell, runs into the darkness devil, instant death for all involved

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Cephas posted:

Denji's unhinged frankness about his basic life desires continues to be weirdly inspirational.

Was just thinking about this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Wonderslug posted:

Well, that's one possibility. Thought exercise: swap the setting and background characters of Chainsaw Man and Invader Zim. How long would it take anyone to spot the difference?

The denji and power training arc but is zim and gir. Meanwhile denji and power call the mighty tallests

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Mankind can't invade poo poo, there's no war!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
invading hell to kill devils would be the dumbest possible thing anyone could ever do. even in the incredibly unlikely event that the humans didn't get owned immediately, devils that die in hell get sent to earth!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

invading hell to kill devils would be the dumbest possible thing anyone could ever do. even in the incredibly unlikely event that the humans didn't get owned immediately, devils that die in hell get sent to earth!

That's what the Oil Devil wants you to think

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

:tinfoil: : The apocalypse is Chainsaw Devil rampaging through hell and accidentally sending thousands of Devils and dozens of Primal Fears to Earth. Yoshida (or his superiors) and Fami roughly know this thanks to the Nostradamus prophecy, which is why they focus so much on either trying to make sure Denji has ordinary life and has no need to turn into Chainsaw Man (Yoshida) or by trying to weaken Chainsaw Devil by creating Chainsaw Man cults and a fake Chainsaw Man (Fami).

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Considering how devils work you would thing more of them would want to protect humans as that is where at least some of their power comes from.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hunt11 posted:

Considering how devils work you would thing more of them would want to protect humans as that is where at least some of their power comes from.

But then they would be seen as good and thus not scary and get weaker or some poo poo.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lt. Lizard posted:

:tinfoil: : The apocalypse is Chainsaw Devil rampaging through hell and accidentally sending thousands of Devils and dozens of Primal Fears to Earth. Yoshida (or his superiors) and Fami roughly know this thanks to the Nostradamus prophecy, which is why they focus so much on either trying to make sure Denji has ordinary life and has no need to turn into Chainsaw Man (Yoshida) or by trying to weaken Chainsaw Devil by creating Chainsaw Man cults and a fake Chainsaw Man (Fami).

I think it's going to be related to pochita's erasure ability. What happens to the logic of the world when Chainsaw Man goes on a feeding frenzy?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it's pretty clear that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. famine's definitely not the only one who will get in on that ill-conceived action.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If it weren't for all those astronauts shown in the Darkness Devil's reveal, I would've suggested people leave the earth and go to Mars or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's possible that devils aren't going to earth, per se. rather, they are going to where humans are. but that'll probably never come up anyway.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Devils seem to be pretty stupid and impulsive in general. Makima held up Power as being atypically rational which tells you something. I continue to think the Horseman are also atypical in how they interact with humanity, either because of how their powers work, or just being more intelligent.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Every character with a plan has failed in the face of Denji's stupidity and impulsiveness, so I think the Devils are on to something

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
For their part, Devils probably think humans are pretty stupid for wrecking the environment they need to perpetuate the species.

Something something extended metaphor for the tragedy of the commons, and Denji is the hero because he has extremely clear, and modest, goals for what he wants out of life and will be satisfied with no more than that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

For their part, Devils probably think humans are pretty stupid for wrecking the environment they need to perpetuate the species.

Something something extended metaphor for the tragedy of the commons, and Denji is the hero because he has extremely clear, and modest, goals for what he wants out of life and will be satisfied with no more than that.

I think Denji dropped his modest goals when he decided he wants to eat steak every single day and have a harem of girlfriends.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Still pretty modest compared to the harms a billionaire class can inflict. And the whole "no ethical consumption under capitalism" discourse does take on interesting dimensions when you're talking about someone who can consume entire concepts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
consuming the capitalism devil would be the exception to that adage.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Makima is darkest timeline Catbert.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Prurient Squid posted:

Makima is darkest timeline Catbert.

We aren't currently occupying darkest timeline catbert?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No need to insult Makima by comparing her to Scott Adams

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Cephas posted:

Every character with a plan has failed in the face of Denji's stupidity and impulsiveness, so I think the Devils are on to something

Everyone has a plan until they get Chainsawed in the face.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016602

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.