Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Laura is definitely one of the best Mid-season cures ever and Tropical Rouge does a much better job balancing comedy/plot than Smile did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Laura is definitely one of the best Mid-season cures ever and Tropical Rouge does a much better job balancing comedy/plot than Smile did

The lack of tracking filler episodes with literal in universe clocks helps a lot with that. I love Smile now for what it is, but a goddamn second filler clock showing up halfway through almost made me drop it at the time. It felt like such a step back after the story telling in Fresh, HC and Suite.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

The lack of tracking filler episodes with literal in universe clocks helps a lot with that. I love Smile now for what it is, but a goddamn second filler clock showing up halfway through almost made me drop it at the time. It felt like such a step back after the story telling in Fresh, HC and Suite.

Not to mention the fact they reset said clock for both the heroes and villains at least twice (and the second time was just for the sake of introducing a new toy weapon).

That said, I do like Smile for its characters at least (it had some good fights at times too, especially when they involved Beauty or Sunny going one on one with an enemy) and some of its oneshot episodes are still among my favorites in the franchise (even the Glitter Force dub couldn’t ruin the Happy Robo episode)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 26, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Smiles other problem is the mid season and season finale we're just copies of Yes' mid season plot and movie and Yes did them better. Also no real build to them either

Reika beating Joker worse than Batman was awesome tho

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Smiles other problem is the mid season and season finale we're just copies of Yes' mid season plot and movie and Yes did them better. Also no real build to them either

Reika beating Joker worse than Batman was awesome tho

Also its ending is almost a carbon copy of DX3’s on top of that (Toei ripped themselves off a lot that season come to think of it)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Knowing now that Precure's a punchy fight-series, I'm pretty bummed that there doesn't seem to be a long-running beat-em-up series for it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RareAcumen posted:

Knowing now that Precure's a punchy fight-series, I'm pretty bummed that there doesn't seem to be a long-running beat-em-up series for it.

This is definitely a missed opportunity. Part of Precure's success comes from the production people realizing girls also like sweet superhero action, but unfortunately nobody has gone further and recognized that girls also like sick beat-em-up action games.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there was a single action game for the og series (it was bad) but yeah all other precure series have been really basic minigame collections. and they dont make posable figures for kids either

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I think a big part of the reason we don't get a game like that is because there is a tight merchandise/show production cycle, with the cast changing every year. To make a tight polished game like that would require a significant amount of time and effort, and unlike puzzle games and the like where you could just change the sprites a bit, a lot of planning would need to go into a more advanced title. You could do it if you were willing to have crossovers of old series, but I think the priority is to generally focus on the current series and its merchandise.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It’s a shame all the Smash clones faceplanted because Precure could probably put up a decent roster.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Fwiw, I think maybe people are overselling Precure as an action series. While there is general a fight per episode, I tend to find the non-fighting parts the most enjoyable bits of the show.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Official Precure fighting games will probably never happen cause of how badly Toei messed up the Cure Black and Cure White fight sadly. Still wish they do s Musou though. A few years back it was in the top 5 of licensed series people wanted a Musou of

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Precure Musou would absolutely own way too hard and destroy humanity, so unfortunately the devs are not interested.

I always wondered if a precure beat em up came out on the DS, if they would do a game over screen where you have to shout PURIKYUA GANBARE into the mic and move a miracle light around with the stylus to continue. I would probably do that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

blossommirage posted:

Precure Musou would absolutely own way too hard and destroy humanity, so unfortunately the devs are not interested.

I always wondered if a precure beat em up came out on the DS, if they would do a game over screen where you have to shout PURIKYUA GANBARE into the mic and move a miracle light around with the stylus to continue. I would probably do that.

There was a Max Heart beat ‘em up for the DS that you could probably find now via emulation. Never actually tried it (or any Precure game for that matter) so I’m not sure how good it was though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Maybe a precure musou wouldn't work on its own but having a mahou shojou one in general would

god willing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

include Cure Heart in Precure musou and have her just be the most game breaking character ever

I think it'd be funny

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Precure has more than enough characters for a Musou but I'd be there for a cross over one just so we could get the Nana Mizuki dream team of Cure Blossom, Fate and Tsubasa

Also do another Magical Girl SRW but this time make it actually good

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Can we invite the Symphogear characters to a cross over Musou? I feel like they would be too over powered, but also it'd be rad as gently caress.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Only if Carol and Hibiki get that new car unison attack from XDU.

https://twitter.com/symphogear_XD/status/1674334639161221122?t=1BA5ywSXfSzISJX1_Y8Nlw&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, did that Symphogear related thing they teased a while back turn out to be anything interesting (assuming it’s even been revealed yet)?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, did that Symphogear related thing they teased a while back turn out to be anything interesting (assuming it’s even been revealed yet)?

it hasn't been revealed yet

hoping it's the symphogear equivalent of Nanoha Strikers where Hibiki is succeeded by a new, gayer protagonist

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah ok, I’m hoping for a new series at the very least (the original was wrapped up pretty well but I’m sure they could find some way to continue from it if they wanted to, like a timeskip with a new cast for example)

Do we have any idea when they’re going to share details on this new project?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nope.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Maybe a precure musou wouldn't work on its own but having a mahou shojou one in general would

god willing

I don't know anything about Precure like, are they all separate universes like a lot of Digimon and MegaMan or is this all happening on the same place?

Basically, would a Precure musou work like Hyrule Warriors and they smash a bunch of different series together or is this just like a long running series like Kirby and it's all new events happening in the same story? My god I cannot talk.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I don't know anything about Precure like, are they all separate universes like a lot of Digimon and MegaMan or is this all happening on the same place?

Basically, would a Precure musou work like Hyrule Warriors and they smash a bunch of different series together or is this just like a long running series like Kirby and it's all new events happening in the same story? My god I cannot talk.

So is Kamen Rider technically but they’ve made lots of musou games out of that, also Precure does crossover movies just like every other Toku adjacent series.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 30, 2023

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

they're all the same universe when they feel like it, but it's very inconsistent

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

they're all the same universe when they feel like it, but it's very inconsistent

Think of it like Sentai or Kamen Rider: Everything is its own universe until Toei needs it not to be for the sake of a crossover, don’t think about it too hard

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alright I figured out how to ask this now.

Okay, I was just wondering if it was like One Piece and they could all meet up feasibly or if it was like Gundamn and they're not all related and it's just a fanservice game for fun. Thanks for the clarification.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Technically I think they're separate except for crossover movies but than the upcoming Yes sequel has Saki and Mai so maybe it is all the same universe

Really needs Carol and Hibiki shouting Road Roller to put the cherry on top

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Technically I think they're separate except for crossover movies but than the upcoming Yes sequel has Saki and Mai so maybe it is all the same universe

Really needs Carol and Hibiki shouting Road Roller to put the cherry on top

We also had some in show crossovers during Hugtto as well (some of which actually advanced the story a bit) so I wouldn’t put too much stock in the Yes 5 sequel having some crossover with Splash Star (and possibly other shows as well). As I said, it’s best just not to think about it too hard

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RareAcumen posted:

Each series is an independent work with its own setting, and there's normally no interaction between them. The Cures who got their powers from the World of Light to fight the denizens of the Dark Zone have never heard of the Cures who got their powers from the Major Land to fight the invasion of Minor Land, and those Cures have never heard of the Precures who got their powers from the Heart Tree to protect it from the Desert Apostles, and so on. Each of those setting elements only exists within its own show.

But they all take place in modern-day normal Japan on modern-day normal Earth, so when Toei decides it's crossover time, they can just say "actually, all of them live on the same Earth" and it'll basically work as long as you don't think too hard about it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Thinking too hard ends up wondering how Nozomi went from being a young teenager in Healing Good Movie in 2021 to an adult this year! It's a time paradox!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

RareAcumen posted:

Alright I figured out how to ask this now.

Okay, I was just wondering if it was like One Piece and they could all meet up feasibly or if it was like Gundamn and they're not all related and it's just a fanservice game for fun. Thanks for the clarification.

It's whatever the writers feel like. The various seasons aren't in canon with each and are completely separate, unless it would be helpful for them to be in canon with each other in which case they are then totally in canon with each other. The various teams similarly have also never heard of each other unless it would be more interesting narratively for all them to know each other in which case they do. In general the overall canonicity of the series doesn't really matter because the various stories of the anime seasons are all self-contained and generally remain self-contained. Once in a blue moon they do a storyline that references other teams and they have occasional movie crossovers, and when that happens the stories cross over and are canonical to each other, for exactly as long as they're crossing over and therefore for as long as the shows being canon to each other is relevant.

In other words its functionally the same thing Kamen Rider and Super Sentai do. Basically "no" unless "yes" is more interesting and progresses the plot, and then it's "yes" for exactly as long as its more interesting and relevant.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Nodosaur posted:

it hasn't been revealed yet

hoping it's the symphogear equivalent of Nanoha Strikers where Hibiki is succeeded by a new, gayer protagonist

I do not think it is sapphicly possible to be gayer than a Symphogear character. Their powers are fueled by singing songs about how much they love their wives.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

blossommirage posted:

I do not think it is sapphicly possible to be gayer than a Symphogear character. Their powers are fueled by singing songs about how much they love their wives.

That’s what we all thought about Nanoha and Fate. Then Subaru happened.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Hibiki and Miku can get a kid like Nanoha/Fate and Hikaru and Lala

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

And completely unannounced, we got our second ED at the end of this week’s Hirogaru episode:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tRe0cu2YPXk

A pretty intense one episode this as well. The plot returns with a vengeance as it’s revealed that Battamonda turned Shalala into a Ranborg (though some vestiges of her original self seem to remain) and Sora’s crisis of confidence comes from being afraid to hurt her idol (who allegedly can’t be purified by the group’s current means either plus the fact the the Undergu Energy is almost literally all that’s keeping Shalala alive at the moment), as a result she loses her powers.

Also if he wasn’t before I think Bug Boy just potentially crossed the line into being irredeemable (seriously, this is almost Northa levels of villainy if not worse)

Interestingly, there was no cameo of any kind this week (even from the main cast) but we did get a new eyecatch and aforementioned ED

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 2, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Having Battamon state that Shalala will die if purified really feels like them saying what usually is a quiet part of Precure loudly

Really strong mid season cliffhanger though

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Having Battamon state that Shalala will die if purified really feels like them saying what usually is a quiet part of Precure loudly

Really strong mid season cliffhanger though

I'm not sure I quite follow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

this episode was very good
in the preview the way sora is shown from behind mirrors how shalala is shown in soras flashbacks