Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Does anyone know if these speckles are caused by disease or pests? I've been searching online and haven't come across pics of anything like it for common problems.

It's only on one of my plants but it's in the same planter as 3 others and I don't know if I should rip it up to prevent disease spread.

That plant had pretty bad edema when it was a seedling but that was like 3-4 months ago and these are all leaves that grew outdoors.

Could you put up a picture of the bottom of a leaf and of the stem?

e: Ordering Emboss-O-Tags, thanks.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Could you put up a picture of the bottom of a leaf and of the stem?

e: Ordering Emboss-O-Tags, thanks.

Stems look good, I looked under the leaves and didn't see much on most of them but underneath one of the really old leaves near the bottom I think I found thrips. :(

I'll spray them down with Neem oil I guess later.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I see aphids at the top right; anybody else agree?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I see aphids at the top right; anybody else agree?

Looks possibly to be aphids, but not good either way. If that’s a leaf near the bottom of the pepper, remove it and treat the rest of the plant anyway.

Sometimes the spotting is caused by nutrient deficiency and I want to say to add some cal-mag to help it out.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I see the thrip in the middle

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
New gardener here, I've got some Caddo blackberries in 5 gallon buckets growing up really nice. Planted in mid May and they're getting to the point where I'm thinking I need to trellis them. Is that right? I trellis these guys and then let them grow. Any advice or guides on trellising? Since they aren't straight in the ground a lot of videos I have found are not totally helpful. Maybe something like this?

https://a.co/d/eZKUAWL

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Zodack posted:

New gardener here, I've got some Caddo blackberries in 5 gallon buckets growing up really nice. Planted in mid May and they're getting to the point where I'm thinking I need to trellis them. Is that right? I trellis these guys and then let them grow. Any advice or guides on trellising? Since they aren't straight in the ground a lot of videos I have found are not totally helpful. Maybe something like this?

https://a.co/d/eZKUAWL

If it is one primary can you can tie that to a stake in the pot and that should work fine. It’ll probably outgrow a 5 gallon bucket realll fast

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Hmm, okay! I got them as plugs and they have not spread out too much so that sounds like it should work. As for outgrowing, I do have space in my yard for a garden but as I've just moved into the house in April the buckets were a way to get moving on blackberry plants while figuring out what grows best in the yard. My house is south-facing and the sun tracks over my backyard but the fence on either side casts some shade until about the afternoon hours. If they'll outgrow the pots I can always transplant them into the ground (though that'll be a crash course for me on its own).

Here's my setup right now. That's about a foot or so of shade by the fence at 11:30 am.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Is there anything I can do to prevent my idiot plants from getting sunscalded? I get these seeds/plants that claim they love heat, but I guess it's a different story a mile up from sea level.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That Old Ganon posted:

Is there anything I can do to prevent my idiot plants from getting sunscalded? I get these seeds/plants that claim they love heat, but I guess it's a different story a mile up from sea level.

Are you sprouting seedlings inside and then taking them outside and they're getting sunscald? Or is this on stuff that you're direct sowing?

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I have a couple pots in the backyard with dirt in them but nothing planted. One of them appears to have somehow gotten a volunteer that is absolutely taking off:

The main stem is ~.75-1in thick, and it has a couple little yellow flowers that remind me of cucumber flowers. I've never seen a cucumber vine this girthy before and the leaves look different and there are no tendrils, though. Any ideas?

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 26, 2023

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I have a couple pots in the backyard with dirt in them but nothing planted. One of them appears to have somehow gotten a volunteer that is absolutely taking off:

The main stem is ~.75-1in thick, and it has a couple little yellow flowers that remind me of cucumber flowers. I've never seen a cucumber vine this girthy before and the leaves look different, though. Any ideas?

Looks like either a ground cherry or tomatillo

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Ooh, tomatillo definitely seems likely. Thanks!

I wonder how it got in there...

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Ooh, tomatillo definitely seems likely. Thanks!

I wonder how it got in there...

:itwaspoo:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

CommonShore posted:

Are you sprouting seedlings inside and then taking them outside and they're getting sunscald? Or is this on stuff that you're direct sowing?
This is on a bunch of stuff I've potted earlier this year or last year when I got it.

I do keep killing my seedlings, though, so I've moved the germinating stuff away from the baking hot slide door.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah these are by far the best.

New idea: 3D printed squirrel bone signs for your plants. Anybody know how to run a kickstarter?

Also, does anyone have a 3D printer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

rojay posted:

New idea: 3D printed squirrel bone signs for your plants. Anybody know how to run a kickstarter?

Also, does anyone have a 3D printer?

probably way better for the environment to just use the real thing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

probably way better for the environment to just use the real thing

Make it gopher bones and we have a deal.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just got pummelled by up to walnut sized hail in a volume that I could need a shovel to clear. Outdoor crops took a beating but the hoop house is pristine. Most of the damaged crops are potatoes and garlic and stuff and should recover

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I picked my first cucumber! I picked it early because somehow it expanded extremely fast while I was at work and half-snapped the vine it was on. I re-routed the other developing cucumbers for better support.

This is a sweet and tasty cucumber! I'll plant multiple Spacemaster 80 plants next year and will try to have plenty for pickling ready at once.

Assuming I can get my raised bed in place, that is. And the hail talk has made me grateful that I can just move these buckets whenever severe hail or derechos threaten.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's a pretty cuke!

Cucumbers, especially pickling types, are notorious for sneaking past even the most observant gardener. My mother in law swears by them so I always end up with a few plants and they drive me nuts. One day there's a new flower, feels like the next day there's a cucumber turning into yellow water. They do have a great crunch though. Market types are a little easier to keep up with but I think you give up a little flavor there, plus I've never tried growing them in containers. They all get pretty unruly if you give them something sturdy to climb.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mystery cucurbit has revealed itself to be a bicolor gourd of some sort:

Jfc is it happy though

The other plant is indeed a pumpkin:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Okay, none of the labels I put in last fall are readable now. In my life, I've tried:
* pencil-on-zinc labels (faded)
* stylus-on-copper labels (oxidize, unreadable)
* pencil-on-popsicle-stick (good for one season)
* Sharpie-on-plastic-markers (faded within 6 months)
* Labeler-on-plastic-markers (faded within 3 months).

Anybody got a favorite long-term solution for labeling plants? I don't care if it's carrots or annuals, but I would very much like to have permanent labels on the roses, peonies, and rare bulbs.

I think the better question is - what are you using to seal the labels? It honestly sounds like you need a better sealant rather than a better marking/surface combo, and you don't actually mention what you're sealing with

You could also do plastic punch labels with a fifteen dollar label maker or something, right? That would basically last forever.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 28, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Hopping on this pumpkin train.

What a lovely little sprout!

Is it necessary to cold stratify strawberry seeds?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Picked about half of my cilantro yesterday, got our first ripe tomato of the season too. Entire house smells like cilantro now. Changing the houses name to cilantro cabana. Send help

Beets are being targeted for a July 5th harvest date. Might try and pluck one or two on the 4th to see if they’re ready to give out to family members. I’m excited, never grown beets before and they don’t take as long as I assumed they would (like two months basically)?

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
Happy tomatoes sprouting up inside my snap pea trellis! Can't wait to see what kind they are.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Even after seeing that post here about strangled sunflowers, I ended up strangling my tomatoes with twine. I have velcro stuff and should have used that. No wonder they’ve not been as productive as I expected. Live and learn.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Did someone say pumpkin?

Illinois white crookneck pumpkin.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I think the better question is - what are you using to seal the labels? It honestly sounds like you need a better sealant rather than a better marking/surface combo, and you don't actually mention what you're sealing with

You could also do plastic punch labels with a fifteen dollar label maker or something, right? That would basically last forever.

(shamefacedly) I'm not. What should I be using?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
"Self-Adhesive Laminating Sheets" are basically a type of clear tape you can put over labels to seal them, that's probably the quickest and easiest method since it's essentially just putting tape on them. I haven't used these much myself.

Personally I usually use a clear acrylic spray sealant for my stuff, though (my current can is Krylon Crystal Clear but honestly they're pretty much all identical for this purpose). I usually have some around anyway and its just a quick spray on both sides and you're done, and it works on everything from popsicle sticks to giant fuckoff signs, and it sticks reliably to every surface I've put it on. I'm actually working on some signs right now I'll be spraying down at the end.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

That Old Ganon posted:

Hopping on this pumpkin train.

What a lovely little sprout!

JESUS loving CHRIST THIS HAPPENED OVERNIGHT

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Wait until you put it in the ground.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My honeynut butternut squash are finally taking off. loving lazy-rear end bees finally got around to pollinating a couple I guess.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Mystery cucurbit has revealed itself to be a bicolor gourd of some sort:

This is really cool. Are there seeds that grow this way or is this some weird hybrid from local cross pollination?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

one time I had a decorative gourd go feral in my compost heap and that's what it produced, much to the delight of hte person who had originally purchased the decorative gourd

Chariot
Aug 24, 2010
When I was a kid we grew white pumpkins in the garden and one of the vines grew into some bushes so inevitably the next year we had new vines growing out of the bushes. There were 2 kinds, one type was tiny pumpkins that turned orange when ripe, the other type was bi-color gourds like that.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Karenina posted:

it's that time of year again. how can i best engage in mass murder against spotted lanternflies

I have this same question. I have a nice (or, big and shady, at least) mulberry tree in my back yard, and I just did some extensive ivy removal from it. In the process of doing that, I discovered that there are lanternfly nymphs all over it. I go out periodically to smash the ones I can catch, but they move kinda quick and there are lots of places for them to hide, so I don't think squishing them manually is going to solve the problem. If I could spritz them with raid, I'd probably have a higher per-target success rate, but that might be similarly/more damaging than the lanternflies themselves, so I don't know what I should try next.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

majour333 posted:

Happy tomatoes sprouting up inside my snap pea trellis! Can't wait to see what kind they are.

My tomatoes are now 8 feet tall where they have support and have taken over the yard and my refrigerator because I pick at least a pint of the tiny little loving things every day and my wife is getting concerned. "How many tomatoes do we need?"

The problem is they're so small that there's not enough flesh to use them as you would most other tomatoes - even cherry/grape varieties. They are perfect in a green papaya salad and I've thrown them in to roast during the last five minutes of roasting some chicken, but I was until recently a semi-professional food writer and I still can't think of many other ways to use them. I guess I can just juice them and if I'm feeling frisky make them into jello or a granita.

I have to remember to post some pictures of the things so you fine people can understand the seriousness of the situation.

May your tomatoes be large, juicy and delicious, majour333.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

"How many tomatoes do we need?

Have you considered cutting them in half and drying them? I do this with cherry types all the time when I’m sick of dealing with it. If they’re really small you can just open them up so they can dry out instead of completely in half. Oven at 180F for until they’re not completely leather and they’ll save in a jar for a year or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
My partner got us (me) a dehydrator earlier this year and I gotta say, it’s a game changer for our herbs and excess seasonal fruit. May your tomatoes be perfectly ripe and unbothered by raccoons.