Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Pretty sure the answer is “no,” but I’m embarking on a week long road trip next week and am wondering if I can actually get my Rev’it Sand 4 jacket and pants white again when I get back and wash them.

Just scrubbed them by hand with some mild soap so they’re at least kind of fresh before I leave, but I like the idea of refreshing everything when I get back. It all smells better (lavender!), but I can barely tell I did anything visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I use tooth paste for spot cleaning which works quite well. No idea if it's useful to get a sponge and scrub it with tooth paste to get it whiter again.

Try it out on a small patch. If it works, you can do the whole thing. But keep in mind it's a chore to rinse out all the last bits of toothpaste foam.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

It actually made a bigger difference than I thought now that it’s dry.

I think when I get back I’ll either go to a laundromat or pick up a bag to wash it in so the agitator doesn’t tear up a random buckle or something in our washer at home. Then I’ll try that to spot clean.

In the end, it’s for utility and not fashion but … I like taking care of my things.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

I got a new lining for my helmet sized up (s -> m, which is usually impossible because they differ in shell size but not on the scorpion air r1) and my face isn't beet red after riding. Score!

Im still looking for good summer gloves because my hands are lengthwise an 2xl but xl in width. :/ Does anyone know of a pair or brand that runs slim?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
The number of shell sizes in a model is usually scalable by price, and should be a thing listed on the makers home page. For 2 shell size models the split is usually at with M or L being the biggest size in the small shell. S to M should be possible for many lids.
I'd look at italian brands for pianist finger gloves.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Can confirm; Dainese is the only brand I’ve found so far that fits my spindly pianist fingers.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Alpinestars gloves have pretty slim fit suitable for salad fingers, and are generally very good. I prefer them over Dainese for gloves.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

not dead yet posted:

I got a new lining for my helmet sized up (s -> m, which is usually impossible because they differ in shell size but not on the scorpion air r1) and my face isn't beet red after riding. Score!

Im still looking for good summer gloves because my hands are lengthwise an 2xl but xl in width. :/ Does anyone know of a pair or brand that runs slim?

Depending on the gloves you might be better off buying the larger size and bringing them to a leatherworker. Finding a real leatherworker is more difficult than in an MMORPG, but I have wide/short hands, so most gloves don't fit me. I brought a pair to a guy that was local to my old house, and in like five minutes he'd shortened the fingers so they fit on my stupid carnival hands.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Those are all good options. I've found some shops not nearby that should carry enough dianese/a* and i WILL succeed.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Today the biggest (very dead) dragonfly I’ve ever seen fell off my neck when I stopped for gas and I’m very glad I decided to start wearing a gaiter of some sort whenever I ride.

Highly recommend you always cover your neck.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Wu-Tang has taught us well

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I am ashamed for not thinking of that first. Goddamn.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I have a Wu-Tang neck gaiter; seemed like the logical choice.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

bizwank posted:

I have a Wu-Tang neck gaiter; seemed like the logical choice.

where would I find such a thing

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Literally any marketplace you go to will have something. It took me less time to search than to write this reply

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Jesus I just asked the person where they got their's. Maybe their Wu-Tang neck gaiter is some next level poo poo that owns super hard. I don't know just asking questions gently caress

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I checked with my local Qwik Trip and they do not, in fact, have a Wu-Tang neck gaiter.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arson Daily posted:

Jesus I just asked the person where they got their's. Maybe their Wu-Tang neck gaiter is some next level poo poo that owns super hard. I don't know just asking questions gently caress

Here's one but yes, it appears you have a wealth of choice. eBay will cut you deals on used ones too.

https://www.gangstarap80s.com/products/wutang-logo-yellow-stripe-neckgaiter

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Hell yeah that rules. Fortnine also has some kind of fancy gaiter if you're Canadian I guess https://fortnine.ca/en/fortnine-premium-neck-gaiter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-k-MTMQaOM

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Arson Daily posted:

Hell yeah that rules. Fortnine also has some kind of fancy gaiter if you're Canadian I guess https://fortnine.ca/en/fortnine-premium-neck-gaiter

I bought one of these. They’re fantastic. Way more comfortable than my other gaiters.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone have a Nelson Rigg Hurricane tail bag? I’m curious to hear experiences other than mine because I’m really regretting the purchase right now.

I bought it hoping for a somewhat all-purpose tail bag for my bikes. I can’t complain about the build quality or features or anything, but because it’s a compressible roll-top bag and the way the straps connect I find that the experience of just using it day to day is really clumsy.

The bag comes with Rigg Straps which are just friction cinch (IDK what the actual term for this type of strap is) straps that you pull to tighten, but they attach to the top of the bag to these PALS or PALS-like webs. Any time I want to bag something it turns into a game of having to unroll the straps, loosen the buckles, expand the bag to what size I need then try to cinch each buckle down again so the bag has even tension on all four sides. Then tuck the excess strap back into the elastic holders to prevent long straps from hanging loose next to my exhaust or tire.

The bag also comes with stiffener panels which do help in some situations but I found that the bag feels wobbly and unsteady with those inserted, I’ve managed to buckle the stiffener a few times by cinching it down too tight, or at least as tight as I felt I needed to keep the bag from sliding around.

I think 99% of my problems would be fixed if Rigg just added strap mounts to the SIDE of the bag instead of the top. Then I could cinch it down super tight to the bike but still be able to unroll it and expand it to whatever size I needed. And sure enough they did add a PALS web — to ONE SIDE of the bag only.

So I dunno, at this point I’m living with it but every time I use it I just get annoyed at how much WORK it is to bag anything that isn’t a thin flat object. If I hadn’t dumpstered the packing material and tags I would have returned it by now since it’s not a cheap piece of kit.

Ultimately this boils down to me not realizing that a compressible roll-top waterproof bag may be a great piece of kit for taking offroad on a camping trip, but not so amazing as a daily driver. I’ll eat the cost and get something else down the road. Thinking about a Givi Dolomiti 30L or something to that effect. I’m really just after a trunk-equivalent I can throw a small grocery run into. Heck, even without spending the $500 on a Givi, at this point a zip-top generic Chinese drop-ship tail bag from Amazon would probably make for a better daily experience IMO.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 28, 2023

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Are the straps similar to ROK straps? I just use those in an x formation and thread them through any convenient place. I put the rolltop opening of the bag hanging off the side so you just unroll, insert, and then close again. You could ignore the intended fixing system and do that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Kriega ones attach on the side, might be more what you're after.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Arson Daily posted:

I would like to point out that F9 is decidedly NOT a member of Wu-Tang

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I would like to point out that F9 is decidedly NOT a member of Wu-Tang

I would also like to point out he has absolutely used the wu tang name generator and used that name as a handle somewhere.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Canadian Gambino

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Arson Daily posted:

Sorry I can't find any record of where I bought it but it was almost certainly Amazon, Ebay or Etsy

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have an issue with my mesh hot weather jacket (Held Tropic 3.0 I think it's called), or at least an issue with how the jacket fits me, my shoulders, shoulder pads and the back protector I wear under the jacket. There's loose fabric over the shoulders, and around 100kph it starts flopping around making a really loud and annoying sound. I sort of mitigated most of this buffeting by stuffing a bit of foam over the pads in the shoulder armor pockets to take up some slack in the fabric, but it's not completely gone. Any real fix will probably involve some tailoring. I have a riding buddy who's pro level skilled with a sewing machine so I should probably consult her about it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Did you try it on before buying? How did it feel then?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
It felt fine - cool and comfy and quite form fitting compared to my other jackets - I figured I'll never want to wear any warm layers under this thing so I might as well go with the smaller of two possible sizes. I had a different bike back when I bought it and it didn't flutter in the wind back then. More forward riding position and fairing/windscreen on that one. Now I'm on a naked upright bike. I think my back protector is also part of the problem - it goes almost all the way up to the base of the helmet, it's pretty thick too and sort of stretches the fabric out a bit in the shoulder area, and since it's a pretty light and flimsy mesh jacket I guess is flutters easily because of this.

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

knox_harrington posted:

Alpinestars gloves have pretty slim fit suitable for salad fingers, and are generally very good. I prefer them over Dainese for gloves.

I've tried about a hundred pairs of all kinds of brands and Alpinestars SMX-1 air v2 were the right ticket! I'm bummed to know that stores only cary a small selection nowadays, I remember 10 years ago there were big stores with a whole of with the stuff. :(

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Regardless if I'm wearing textiles or jeans, the knee armor tends to slide way inward on both knees, to the point where it's like a third of my knee on the outer edge doesn't have the pad covered. Do I just have some hosed up outward twisted knees or is this just a thing that happens?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Does your armor slide inside their pockets or is the whole inner liner moving? or exploring this avenue. the whole leg of the pants, that sits straight still?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Do you have an X-bein ?

(not being serious I just remembered the excellent German term and wanted to use it)

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

knox_harrington posted:

Do you have an X-bein ?

(not being serious I just remembered the excellent German term and wanted to use it)
No I don't think so at all, also it's like the whole leg sleeve just doesn't want to stay aligned to what the front if my legs are. Guess it's just weird anatomy then.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Maybe your pants are just too big

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Something is putting torsion on the legs, are they catching your boots somehow? Do they start out aligned but then work over to the side as you're riding? Do they realign when you're off the bike and walking around?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

knox_harrington posted:

Do you have an X-bein ?

There's also the O-Bein!

Gear: I rode for the first time since my crash and subsequent trauma unit hospital stay.
I had an overnight camping trip to Coos Bay with my boys planned for a while.
The new helmet fits snuggly but comfortably. The chest protector looks bulky but it's not bothering me while riding.
I took it very easy riding around.
I also saw reports of a dirt bike rider crashing fatally in the dunes a few miles north of us just the day prior. No other vehicles involved, he just went off a razor back he didn't see and probably broke his neck :(.
Mid day light conditions out there are super treacherous because you have minimal shadows and everything looks the same. It's very disorienting.
Morning or evening is much better, but evening gets very windy to the point that you can't see the ground.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 5, 2023

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I have a white Rev'It jacket. It's a mesh jacket for summer riding, and buying one in black seemed counter intuitive, so I decided to go with like a white and black aesthetic for my gear. I got a white RF-1400 for Christmas, and needed some gloves, so I found a pair of white Rev'It gloves that actually fit my hands. And since they're the same manufacturer, I assumed they're basically meant to go together.

Problem is, they're a slightly different shade of white. My jacket is closer to an off-white, but the gloves are like a pure white.

This is awful. My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

It might have something to do with the different fabrics and how they absorb/reflect light. I have two jacket/pant sets from Dianese that are both "black", but next to each other the waterproof winter set looks almost more like dark blue.