Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

Are therapists bound by client confidentiality in the MCU? I demand a Disney+ series to answer that question.

…actually, I’d legit watch a show about the therapist for random Marvel characters, sure.

Presumably. The main conceit of the MCU (and most superhero comic universes) is "Our world but with superhero stuff in it, too." Honestly, I'd figure it'd be even more stringently observed than in our world. If you blab somebody's secret in our world, you could ruin their marriage or job. If you blab some superperson's secret they might get pissed off enough to level the city block you work in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BioEnchanted posted:

I did love Nebula's reactions to things, like Quill being disappointed in Gamora and Nebula being all "She was always like this. And you guys thought I was the bad guy..." and "You skipped some important stuff but that's pretty much the gist."

yeah nebula is kinda the best lines in the film which were usually by drax but drax was way more quiet in this film.

Everyone posted:

I hope we somehow get more Tim Roth as Namaste Abomination because that was hilarious.

Back to GotG3 the ending hit me a little differently when I realized that the reason all those animals were there to be rescued was that despite having moved on from uplifted animals to create his "perfect species" the HE was still doing horrible experiments to try to replicate what he did with Rocket because he had no real idea why Rocket became a tech prodigy.

yeah, i love all the little deatles and lines that show how warped and hosed up HE has become since face mauliing. like he was always a monster but he went full ahab

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
...okay, I just had a terrible, hilarious thought I had to share:

Is the High Evolutionary basically Yakub?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ghost Leviathan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ca1mAmpaiE

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don’t see why you had to spoiler this?

I did the research, folks: Yakub is a figure in the wider lore of the Nation of Islam. He’s a Black man born millennia ago who was apparently the basis for the biblical Jakob, but he’s characterized here as an amoral scientist obsessed with heredity.

The story goes that Yakub wanted to make a new race of people that breeds out Blackness, and so he sets up some kind of brutal fiefdom on a Mediterranean island where he identifies less-Black traits in his subjects and works to dilute and eliminate them.

He ultimately created white people this way, their historic cruelty and lack of empathy being a terminal result of Yakub’s cruel and dehumanizing methods. The white race was banned as an abomination, but later uses its evil nature to enslave Black people in recent history, to be overthrown by Black liberation movements in the near future.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Xealot posted:

I don’t see why you had to spoiler this?

I did the research, folks: Yakub is a figure in the wider lore of the Nation of Islam. He’s a Black man born millennia ago who was apparently the basis for the biblical Jakob, but he’s characterized here as an amoral scientist obsessed with heredity.

The story goes that Yakub wanted to make a new race of people that breeds out Blackness, and so he sets up some kind of brutal fiefdom on a Mediterranean island where he identifies less-Black traits in his subjects and works to dilute and eliminate them.

He ultimately created white people this way, their historic cruelty and lack of empathy being a terminal result of Yakub’s cruel and dehumanizing methods. The white race was banned as an abomination, but later uses its evil nature to enslave Black people in recent history, to be overthrown by Black liberation movements in the near future.

Yeah the Nation of Islam has as much in common with Scientology as it does Islam.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah Yakub owns

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/joke-battles/images/f/fa/Yakub.png/revision/latest?cb=20181004025543

This guy built white people...IN A LAB

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
State should've taken it easy on that dude, heard he went blind from soap poisoning.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
the last one did a good job tugging at my heartstrings, this one was no slouch either

I really was expecting Peter to die for real when his face got all puffed up but I was hoping he'd at least show up at his granddad's house looking like that

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The main villain in this movie felt really weak. Nothing he did made sense in the grand scheme of things, like he was a little kid who wanted things right now, tomorrow be damned.

E: Not weak as in power but weak as in writing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Boris Galerkin posted:

The main villain in this movie felt really weak. Nothing he did made sense in the grand scheme of things, like he was a little kid who wanted things right now, tomorrow be damned.

a realistic villain if I've ever seen one

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: Not weak as in power but weak as in writing.

That’s why he was great

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Wait really? He’s just a rich human man child? That’s his deal?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wait really? He’s just a rich human man child? That’s his deal?

Well, humanlike. He's basically Space Elon Musk, with the kind of malformed personality that earned him colossal wealth and power despite everything he touches turning to flaming poo poo because (space) capitalism just does that. Rocket is an escaped Neuralink lab animal turned superhero.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, humanlike. He's basically Space Elon Musk, with the kind of malformed personality that earned him colossal wealth and power despite everything he touches turning to flaming poo poo because (space) capitalism just does that. Rocket is an escaped Neuralink lab animal turned superhero.

No, I think HE was actually a human. Why else would he have sourced his test animals exclusively from Earth?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Didn’t he explain why in the movie? He modeled his perfect society after Earth for some reason, I can’t remember what it was but it wasn’t because he was from Earth.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Wasn't it some conceptually stupid reason, like Earth was one of the few civilization to create art?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He just liked earth when he visited

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

He studied abroad for a semester on Earth, and made it part of his personality forever.

“Oh, this? It’s music from Earth. Have you been? I lived there for a bit, it was really inspirational…”

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xealot posted:

He studied abroad for a semester on Earth, and made it part of his personality forever.

“Oh, this? It’s music from Earth. Have you been? I lived there for a bit, it was really inspirational…”

That's pretty much literally how he explains it, yeah. He's an Earth weeb.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
A Terraboo if you will

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darth Walrus posted:

That's pretty much literally how he explains it, yeah. He's an Earth weeb.

I guess I forgot that part because it seems incredibly silly. "I love Earth. My perfect society will be Earth suburbs. My music will be Earth music. And the animals I torture in my absurd quest for the perfect people will be Earth animals!"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I really don’t remember him explaining it that way when I watched it the other day. I remember he said he visited earth before, and also he knew some random Latin chant/music by heart (or I think it was Latin). I just assumed he made an almost 1:1 copy of earth because it was how the movie script writers could convey to us that this place was suppose to be earth but better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
He visited 1950s America and decided it would be the ideal baseline for his perfect society, and then got mad and decided to blow it up when it turned out to be like 1950s America. It's presented as the final nail in the coffin for the idea that he has any clue what he's doing and might be working towards any sort of sane, noble purpose.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

But Counter Earth seemed like it was always a stopgap until he did something better. He knew the life he created for that planet weren’t “perfect”, and he even knew that whatever species all the kids (which happened to be all white and all girls for some reason?) he created were wasn’t perfect either because their genius came from rote memorization vs being intuitive like Rocket’s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The contrast of how he's talking up his perfect world in the flashbacks compared to the new prototypes after he basically nonchalantly genocides his own creations, and the mention he's done it so many times before, rather drives home that this poo poo is pretty much normal for him. As mentioned, he's not actually a genius or visionary, he's Musk Mengele with the resources of a galactic megacorp, and the best things he's done have been by accident.

Kinda the point is also that it's more or less the America that Quill remembers, and he finds it both uncanny and unimpressive specifically because of that- that there doesn't seem to be any prejudice, at least based on race or species, but there's still poverty, violence, drugs, homelessness and urban decay, and both Nebula and Quill notice because they know what to look for. And rather than actually engage with that and try to figure out why those problems exist and try to deal with them, High Evolutionary just literally blows it all up and starts over because it's not fun anymore.

Actually he pretty much has the same deal going as Ego, on top of the creator/father figure stuff; for all his power he's really just a shallow and lovely person who doesn't appreciate what he has or anything around him and just wants to turn it all into his own vision.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 29, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What was the deal with the head spaceship/spacestation thing? I don’t think I ever watched Vol. 2 and Vol. 1 is kinda hazy. The villain called it a dead god or something, but then again he also gave a speech about how he took over being/playing god because the gods didn’t exist. Which, we the audience all know they do cause our bff Thor is one of them and also there was Zeus and all that other stuff in another movie. Does the average person in the MCU know gods are very real?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

What was the deal with the head spaceship/spacestation thing? I don’t think I ever watched Vol. 2 and Vol. 1 is kinda hazy. The villain called it a dead god or something, but then again he also gave a speech about how he took over being/playing god because the gods didn’t exist. Which, we the audience all know they do cause our bff Thor is one of them and also there was Zeus and all that other stuff in another movie. Does the average person in the MCU know gods are very real?

Knowhere is the head of a dead Celestial - you know, the huge alien gods that showed up in Eternals (assuming here that anyone actually watched Eternals). It's a recurring location in the Guardians series. And THE is absolutely talking poo poo because he's having a gigantic narcissistic temper-tantrum. Hard to not know the gods exist when a major settlement exists in one's skull.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's a dead head of a Celestial, a nigh ultra powerful God like alien race that has popped up in quick references in other Marvel movies, like in the first Guardian where one uses the Power Stone (forget what it was called then) to blow up a planet and in Eternals we find out a baby Celestial was cacooning in the center of Earth and whose birth would destroy it.

Eh it's a lot more interesting written out than on the screen lol

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A couple even appear in Thor L&T in Omnipotence City, I assume THE either never heard of the place or he doesn't think they're real gods.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I remember Knowhere, or at least the joke they did about Knowhere sounding like no where. Completely missed or forgot that it was inside the skull of a dead god though.

E: Yeah Thor L&T had a bunch of gods ranging from the greek and Roman pantheons, to random poo poo like the god of bao buns. I wasn’t sure if the average person like the villain would know about them/that god city though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Homecoming had The Korean Church of Asgard as a background gag.

It's probably like the comics where some people think of them as gods and others think of them as ancient aliens that shaped the old beliefs in their image.

Capital G God does exist in the comics too and was played by Jack Kirby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Boris Galerkin posted:

I remember Knowhere, or at least the joke they did about Knowhere sounding like no where. Completely missed or forgot that it was inside the skull of a dead god though.

E: Yeah Thor L&T had a bunch of gods ranging from the greek and Roman pantheons, to random poo poo like the god of bao buns. I wasn’t sure if the average person like the villain would know about them/that god city though.

Bast is apparently also a quick cameo in the background.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The High Evolutionary is one of those guys who starts a new Minecraft server six months into every big project because it gets too hard only with lots and lots of mass murder and animal torture.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watched Vol. 3 tonight. Loved it! That was a very fun movie, on top of being the only good phase 4 MCU film. P4 was dogshit terrible, but im really glad Marvel did not gently caress this one up as its the only MCU movie left with characters I like.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's a phase 5 movie :eng101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh poo poo, we got through all of phase 4 with not a single good film lol. Well that sucks, but at least Phase 5 is off to a great start.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Shang-Chi tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Shang-Chi was like 2/3rds of a good movie, that’s true.