Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a gag manga where the whole joke is the "torture/interrogation" is always making food in front of her until she talks. From the few chapters I read it's so focused on that I'm surprised it's getting adapated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Motto posted:

It's a gag manga where the whole joke is the "torture/interrogation" is always making food in front of her until she talks. From the few chapters I read it's so focused on that I'm surprised it's getting adapated.

Later chapters expand the gag to other topics, and sometimes just become slice of life updates instead.

It’s a real good series, but the adaptation is pretty surprising since there’s not much storyline there to work with.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres plenty of good adaptations of gag manga, you just do 4 skits per episode or whatever. the sleepy princess anime was excellent

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Not to be confused with Torture Princess.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

no it's cool

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Big Leg posted:

no it's cool

So it is the writer's barely disguised fetish then.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Ghibli food does look so delicious.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Need some summer animes to start

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

GateOfD posted:

Need some summer animes to start

One of them has.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Tales of Woe posted:

theres plenty of good adaptations of gag manga, you just do 4 skits per episode or whatever. the sleepy princess anime was excellent

Wasn't that supposed to get another season? Whatever happened to that?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
they fell asleep

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

they never announced another season as far as i can tell

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

they never announced another season as far as i can tell

they should, it was a pretty charming show

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

also because Doga Kobo create nothing but absolute SSS-tier OPs

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
vita means life voice doga means kino

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yohane spin off was really good for what really just a gag manga. It's very much Love Live but also very different too

World Dai Star also stuck the ending and was a fun watch even if I didn't get that Shizuka Really is just palette swap Kokona till the end

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

This will be the season finale.

Staff List:

\-Screenplay: Jin Tanaka

\-Storyboard: Sumie Noro

\-Episode Director: Kuniyasu Nishina, Daisuke Hiramaki

\-Color Script: Saori Tachibana, Kuniyasu Nishina

\-Chief Animation Director: Kanna Hirayama

\-Assistant Chief Animation Director: Tomoya Atsumi, Miki Matsumoto, Satomi Watanabe, Honoka Yokoyama, Masaaki Yamano, Shun Sawai, Asami Hayakawa, Ayaka Muroga

\-Animation Director: Kanna Hirayama, Shun Sawai, Takeshi Osame, Satomi Watanabe, Asami Hayakawa, Hiromi Nanbu, Haruka Inade, Masaaki Yamano, Miki Matsumoto, Juri, Tomoya Atsumi, Miki Muto, Kentaro Shibuya, Miyu Hattori, Ai Motoya, Shuuta Sato, Honoka Yokoyama, Atsushi Soga, Tomoko Uno, Noritaka Tateguchi, Tomoya Hiratsuka

Oshi no ko dropping an army of ADs for the finale :stare:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I enjoyed hearing a Spiders song in Insomniacs, it's nice when anime uses older music, like when Kakushigoto used a song from Long Vacation as the ED.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

marumaru posted:

Oshi no ko dropping an army of ADs for the finale :stare:

This is going to be either amazing or terrible with no in-between (my money is on amazing tho)

Also summer thread will be up either tonight or tomorrow, thanks for being patient

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it had a choppy start but dead mount death play ended up being exactly what i wanted out of it. looking forward to the 2nd half in fall

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Man, I watched a lot of anime this season. In order from best to worst:

Heavenly Delusion: Great adaptation of a great manga, really hoping it did well enough to warrant a second season. The story in both the manga and the anime feels fully realized in a way that very few other stories in these media do; despite this being a long-running monthly manga, it at no point has that making-stuff-up-as-we-go-along feel of many other serialized works, and it shows a lot of constraint in how slowly and methodically it reveals more and more hints without ever resorting to exposition dumps. Not all of it quite works - the sexual assault in the last two episodes left kind of a bad taste, and the finale was somewhat disappointing - but still a great show, and absolutely an AotY contender for me.

Yamada-kun: Same director as Chihayafuru and My Love Story, and very similar in tone and style. Lots of extremely good faces. I originally gave it a pass because of the MMO angle, but they ended up spending very little time in the game; it's mostly just there as a connective tissue for the various guild members. I was also afraid that Yamada's emotionless facade would drain the energy from the show, but this mostly worked out okay, and (some sudden character shifts in the finale aside) they managed to give him a surprisingly sincere character arc.

Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers: Honestly, I ended up liking this quite a bit. It's very uneven, in terms of both plot and production quality, and for large stretches it's exactly as dumb as the premise makes it sound, but there's something here. I read somewhere in passing that the director has been working on this idea since high school, and for better or worse it really does feel like someone's passion project (which is appropriate I suppose, given its theme). Much of the middle third is admittedly kind of a slog, but when its themes and visual style do manage to shine - like they've done pretty consistently in the run-up to the finale - it borders on great.

Oshi no Ko: I'm still not really sure where to rank this. Definitely an interesting and well-made show, but also tonally inconsistent due to its dual protagonists. I love Ruby's part as a somewhat cynical look at the idol industry (helped by some very strong character writing for Kana), but the gloomy murder mystery (plus increasingly irrelevant reincarnation angle) central to Aqua's part didn't resonate with me as strongly. Absolutely a one-of-a-kind show though, and if nothing else the tonal shifts keep it unpredictable, so I'm still firmly on board for the ride.

Jigokuraku: Refreshingly simple and straightforward - here's an island full of dangers, here's a group of fun and varied badasses, go nuts. The plot feels secondary to the action for most of the season, though it does sprinkle in just enough interesting tidbits to keep you guessing. Very colorful and stylish, and most of the fight scenes look great. I hope this gets a second season/cour, since it's been picking up speed in the last couple of episodes.

Skip to Loafer: Just a really warm and sweet show. Somehow came across as a romcom based on the promotional material, but it's really more of a coming-of-age slice of life show, with much more of an ensemble cast focus than the "X & Y" title makes it sound. No big overarching plot or strong narrative angle here, just some really good and compassionate character writing. The animation quality kind of dropped off I felt, but it was never a visually amazing show to begin with.

Gundam: Witch from Mercury: I'll be honest, this show kind of lost me in the second cour. The main reason: too many drat names. I largely lost track of all the different factions and their respective schemes, and the technobabble ramped up significantly as well (I'm still not sure who or what a Quiet Zero is exactly). The tonal shift - from the school hijinks of the first cour to the mass death of the second - is understandable, but I still enjoyed the first half more.

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia: Sweet and heartfelt, if a bit predictable. The direction could have been better too; a lot of scenes have this awkward, halting pacing to them, with dead air in unexpected places and pauses that last just a bit too long. The side characters are good though, and the plot as a whole has a satisfying arc to it, so overall I did enjoy it. I may or may not have bought a tripod for my camera because of this show.

Edomae Elf: Part low-stakes slice of life comedy, part Edo trivia delivery system. Occasionally it hinted at something more profound and melancholic - the idea of an immortal being watching generations of miko grow old and die while the world moves on around them - but it never really committed to this (which is probably for the best, to be honest). Okay as an easily-watchable comfort show, not unique or funny enough to leave much of a lasting impact otherwise.

Dead Mount Death Play: I initially didn't intend to check this out, but got pulled in by the fact that it's from the author as Durarara and Baccano. Safe to say, this wasn't nearly as good as either of those, both in terms of the quality of the adaptation (lots of static shots set in featureless concrete rooms) and source material (too much exposition and happenstance to make a dumb premise work). It wasn't all terrible - if nothing else, pretty much every scene with Solitaire was a delight - but it never quite worked either. Not going to bother with the second cour.

Tried and dropped: Konosuba (same jokes as the main series, just less funny), Yuri Job (too repetitive after three episodes, didn't feel like waiting for it to get good), Alice Gear (ugh).

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Tales of Woe posted:

it had a choppy start but dead mount death play ended up being exactly what i wanted out of it. looking forward to the 2nd half in fall
Is it like Durarara and Baccano in that it’s about a bunch of characters and it keeps swapping between their viewpoints?
Hearing it’s by the same person who wrote those has me interested but I don’t know if it’s similar to those series or if it’s entirely different.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
It's about a bunch of characters but the switching POVs stuff is much more standard ensemble show than something like Baccano which also jumped around in time. It's definitely more centered around a few specific POVs like the protagonist group, police force, and a couple criminal/shady factions.

The production quality is nothing to write home about and the first couple episodes are a bit too dull with how much time is spent on the setup, but after that you get all the delightful character bits and contrived situations that make the show worth watching.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

InspectorCarbonara posted:

Is it like Durarara and Baccano in that it’s about a bunch of characters and it keeps swapping between their viewpoints?
Hearing it’s by the same person who wrote those has me interested but I don’t know if it’s similar to those series or if it’s entirely different.

Not directly related to your point, but how is the source material for Durarara and Baccano? I always felt like the adaption did a lot of the work that made them as fun as they were.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of DMDP are the characters (Solitaire at first, but there's another great one later) who are not supernatural and constantly bluffing their way through insane situations while only understanding 20% of what's going on.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

genericnick posted:

Not directly related to your point, but how is the source material for Durarara and Baccano? I always felt like the adaption did a lot of the work that made them as fun as they were.

Baccano went into too much detail that wasn't necessary in my opinion. One of the examples was the guy who screwed up and lost the immortality potion. We got his whole backstory despite not really being necessary and being kind of boring. Also like most light novels, the volumes were much more focused on a single plot, and there wasn't really that much subplots happening.

The show combined everything together really well and cut out some of the fat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I watched basically no anime this season. I got two episodes in to Edomae Elf and the side story season for Ranking but just.....meh.

However, I did finally get around to Helluva Boss and the second season of Star Wars: Visions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

genericnick posted:

They’re very good and fun. Baccano’s adaptation definitely has a unique style but Durarara is a pretty straight adaption honestly.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Here is my ranking of everything I checked out for at least two episodes this season:

Heavenly Delusion
Golden Kamuy new eps
Insomniacs After School
Oshi No Ko
Dangers in my Heart
Skippy Loafy
Hell's Paradise
Yamada Lv 999
Dead Mount Death Play

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I only watched Mix season two this season. I can definitely notice that it had a different director since it lacked a lot of stylistic flourishes from the first season but despite that the source material is so strong that it's still drat good.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i should speedrun thru hell's paradise.

lost interest in heaven's delusion pretty early on. I just liked one side of the story, but not the other side.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once I finish FF16 I need to catch up to so much anime and manga.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Sally Amaki did a cover of the English version of Idol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOiXqBd2_DA

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

cave emperor posted:

Heavenly Delusion: Great adaptation of a great manga, really hoping it did well enough to warrant a second season. The story in both the manga and the anime feels fully realized in a way that very few other stories in these media do; despite this being a long-running monthly manga, it at no point has that making-stuff-up-as-we-go-along feel of many other serialized works, and it shows a lot of constraint in how slowly and methodically it reveals more and more hints without ever resorting to exposition dumps. Not all of it quite works - the sexual assault in the last two episodes left kind of a bad taste, and the finale was somewhat disappointing - but still a great show, and absolutely an AotY contender for me.

Quick question, since I'm apprehensive. I HATED the sexual assault at the end of episode 12. Is it continued in episode 13? I haven't continued because of this and I want to know if it continues.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The latest episode is only the aftermath of the previous episode, nothing further happens on screen.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

I'm several weeks behind on just about every anime I'm watching, but if I had to give a best-to-least ranking right now it'd be:

Vinland Saga S2
Oshi no Ko
Heavenly Delusion
Skip and Loafer
Hell's Paradise
Magical Destroyers
Dead Mount Death Play
The Legendary Hero is Dead (dropped)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Malsangoroth posted:

I'm several weeks behind on just about every anime I'm watching, but if I had to give a best-to-least ranking right now it'd be:

Vinland Saga S2
Oshi no Ko
Heavenly Delusion
Skip and Loafer
Hell's Paradise
Magical Destroyers
Dead Mount Death Play
The Legendary Hero is Dead (dropped)

Ha! I watched a ton of anime this season and also dropped The Legendary Hero is Dead. It just wasn't very good.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Heavenly Delusion
Dead Mount Death Play
Skiploaf
Bokuyaba
Yamada lv999
Ranking of Kings thing
G Witch
Birdie Wing
World Dai Star
Oshi no Ko
KnY Sword Village
Jigokuraku
Opus.COLORS
Yuri is my Job
Magical Destroyers
X & Y

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
ones I finished was
Skip & Loafer,
Yamada lv999, I
lseleve
Oshi no Ko
Demon Slayer

Ones I plan to finish, eventually, just a few episodes left:
Hell's Paradise
Konosuba Megumin

Dropped:
Kawaiisugi
Heaven's Delusion
Mashle
Yuri is my Job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just watched G-Witch