Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

lol

I got the Tom Lathrop translation of the entire work (both Parts 1 and 2) and have started the introduction but am focusing on finishing my current brick first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I'll try to read don quijote over the summer since I haven't read it yet, but I also have plans to read the morning star and man without qualities, so we'll see how this goes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have this poster on my office wall:

quote:

Artist Fernando Reza, who also did these cool TV Band posters, asked the question, "What If?" What if Stanley Kubrick finished Napoleon? What is Orson Welles finished Don Quixote? And he answered those questions with his new set of film posters called The Ones That Got Away; Four posters including those two aforementioned films as well as Alfred Hitchcock's Kaleidoscope and David Lean's Nostromo.

. . .

Orson Welles worked on Don Quixote from the mid 50's until his death in 1985. He financed the film completely by himself with money from voice over work and appearances.

https://www.slashfilm.com/513136/cool-stuff-ones-away-posters/

quote:

On June 29, 1957, after having been removed from his own film Touch of Evil, Welles headed to Mexico City to begin work on the feature-length version of Don Quixote.[7] The part of Don Quixote had been offered to Charlton Heston, who had just finished filming Touch of Evil with Welles, and Heston was keen on playing the role, but was only available for two weeks, which Welles feared would be insufficient. Spanish actor Francisco Reiguera was cast as Don Quixote and Akim Tamiroff remained as Sancho Panza.[4] Welles also brought in child actress Patty McCormack to play Dulcie, an American girl visiting Mexico City as the city's central framing device. During her visit, Dulcie would encounter Welles (playing himself) in a hotel lobby, on the hotel patio and in a horse-drawn carriage, and he would tell her the story of Don Quixote. She would then meet Don Quixote and Sancho Panza in the present day, and would later tell Welles of her adventures with them.[4]

Welles worked without a finished script, shooting improvised sequences on the street. Much of the footage was shot with silent 16-M.M. equipment, with Welles planning to dub the dialogue at a later date. As the production evolved, Welles told film critic André Bazin that he saw his Don Quixote being created in the improvisational style of silent comedy films.[5] The bulk of filming occurred in Mexico in two blocks in late 1957. The first was between early July 1957 and his return to Hollywood on 28 August, while the second was in September and October 1957. Filming in Mexico occurred in Puebla, Tepoztlán, Texcoco and Río Frio.

However, Welles's production was forced to stop due to problems with financing. At this stage the project was supervised by Mexican producer Oscar Dancigers, and after Welles went over budget by some $5,000, Dancigers suspended filming, before pulling out of the project entirely. Thereafter, Welles produced the film himself.[8] Welles became preoccupied with other projects, including attempts to salvage Touch of Evil. In a bid to raise more funds, Welles threw himself into money-making assignments, acting in films including The Long, Hot Summer, Compulsion and Ferry to Hong Kong, narrating films including The Vikings and King of Kings, and directing the stage plays Five Kings and Rhinoceros. When money was available, he switched the location shooting to Spain. As time went by, McCormack matured out of childhood, forcing Welles to drop her character from the film.[5] In later years, he stated that he wished to re-film her scenes, plus some new ones, with his daughter Beatrice Welles (who had a small part in his Chimes at Midnight). However, he never did so, and by the late 1960s Beatrice also grew out of childhood.

During the 1960s, Welles shot fragments of Don Quixote in Spain (Pamplona, Málaga and Seville) and Italy (Rome, Manziana and Civitavecchia) as his schedule and finances allowed; he even found time to film sequences (reported as being "the prologue and epilogue") while on vacation in Málaga commuting all the while to Paris to oversee the post-production work on his 1962 adaptation of The Trial.[9] Welles continued to show Don Quixote and Sancho Panza in the present day, where they react with bafflement at such inventions as motor scooters, airplanes, automobiles, radio, television, cinema screens and missiles.[10] Welles never filmed a literal version of the famous scene in which Quixote duels with windmills, he instead made a modern-day version of it in which Quixote walks into a cinema. Sancho Panza and Patty McCormack's character are seated in the audience, watching the screen in silent amazement. A battle scene plays onscreen, and Quixote mistakes this for the real thing, trying to do battle with the screen and tearing it to pieces with his sword.

The production became so prolonged that Reiguera, who was seriously ailing by the end of the 1960s, asked Welles to finish shooting his scenes before his health gave out. Welles was able to complete the scenes involving Reiguera prior to the actor's death in 1969.[1] However, as Welles shot most of the footage silently, he seldom filmed the original actors' dialogue. He intended to dub the voices himself (as he did on many of his films, including Macbeth, Othello, The Trial and The Deep), combining his narration with his voicing all the characters, but only ever did so for some limited portions of the film.

The things Orson Welles did to finance this movie! The quixotic things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM

https://lithub.com/10-reflections-on-orson-welles-drunken-champagne-commercial-outtakes/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixt_t46k4Q

quote:

The Transformers: The Movie is the final film featuring Orson Welles.[16] Welles spent the day of October 5, 1985, performing Unicron's voice on set, and died on October 10.[17] Slate reported that his "voice was apparently so weak by the time he made his recording that technicians needed to run it through a synthesizer to salvage it".[17] Shin stated that Welles had originally been pleased to accept the role after reading the script and had expressed an admiration for animated films.[5] Shortly before his death, Welles told his biographer, Barbara Leaming, "You know what I did this morning? I played the voice of a toy. I play a planet. I menace somebody called Something-or-other. Then I'm destroyed. My plan to destroy Whoever-it-is is thwarted and I tear myself apart on the screen.

All because he wanted to fund his Don Quixote movie. That he never finished.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have this poster on my office wall:

https://www.slashfilm.com/513136/cool-stuff-ones-away-posters/

The things Orson Welles did to finance this movie! The quixotic things!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvxwf1jxdaM

https://lithub.com/10-reflections-on-orson-welles-drunken-champagne-commercial-outtakes/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ixt_t46k4Q

All because he wanted to fund his Don Quixote movie. That he never finished.

Not sure whether this would be a Quixotic endeavor or more a white whale situation

ulvir posted:

I'll try to read don quijote over the summer since I haven't read it yet, but I also have plans to read the morning star and man without qualities, so we'll see how this goes

I am also not promising to have it finished by month's end, as I will also be driving across the continent and back starting next week. Good thing these BotMs are in a never ending thread!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Considering a Cormac McCarthy novel for next months BotM

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

All the Pretty Horses for broadest appeal on the westerns.

No country for old men for best conversation.

Th e Road for bleakest movie tie in

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Do Suttree (cuz I haven’t read it yet)

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

I would love to read Suttree as the next BotM

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

My memories say DQ was very good. One of my favorite books from decades ago.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

July's Book of the Month will be Suttree, by the late Cormac McCarthy!

quote:

This compelling novel has as its protagonist Cornelius Suttree, living alone and in exile in a disintegrating houseboat on the wrong side of the Tennessee River close by Knoxville. He stays at the edge of an outcast community inhabited by eccentrics, criminals and the poverty-stricken. Rising above the physical and human squalor around him, his detachment and wry humour enable him to survive dereliction and destitution with dignity.

As usual, read at your own pace, post thoughts, questions, comments, whatever here for discussion! I often live blog my way through books and likely will again here (using spoilers of course!).

Enjoy this month's offering!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
So Suttree is amazing and I would recommend you all getting both the audio version and a reading version. The character of Gene Harrogate is brought to life by Richard Poe on the audio version and you will laugh your rear end off. I will be annoying the hell out of everybody throughout that thread and re-reading it with you all.

edit: Scribd has the audio version and you can get a free month long trial (and if you threaten to cancel, they'll offer you an extra month... so 2 free months)

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 3, 2023

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looking forward to this!!!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
wait is this a cormac mccarthy book that isn't unutterably sad

I thought the title was Suttee

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I have no idea! But, copy acquired so we shall soon see!

quote:

I thought the title was Suttee
Settee Sittee? Supplexxee

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Gonna get me a nice watermelon and sit down with the audiobook tonight. I suggest y'all do the same.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Oh weird I was just popping in. Suttree is my favorite novel and I'm currently about 3/5 of the way through. Probably finish it up again today.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

lol

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
so when I said I listened to Richard Poe's version, I was wrong. I listened to Michael Kramer's version! I am listening to Richard Poe's version on Scribd now and I am intrigued to hear how Gene's character sounds.

also:

"A world beyond all fantasy, malevolent and tactile and dissociate, the blown lightbulbs like shorn polyps semitranslucent and skullcolored bobbing blindly down and spectral eyes of oil and now and again the beached and stinking forms of foetal humans bloated like young birds mooneyed and bluish or stale gray. Beyond in the dark the river flows in a sluggard ooze toward southern seas, running down out of the rain flattened corn and petty crops and riverloam gardens of upcountry land keepers, grating along like bonedust, afreight with the past, dreams dispersed in the water someway, nothing ever lost. Houseboats ride at their hawsers. The neap mud along the shore lies ribbed and slick like the cavernous flitch of some beast hugely foundered and beyond the country rolls away to the south and the mountains. Where hunters and woodcutters once slept in their boots by the dying light of their thousand fires and went on, old teutonic forebears with eyes incandesced by the visionary light of a massive rapacity, wave on wave of the violent and the insane, their brains stoked with spoorless analogues of all that was, lean aryans with their abrogate semitic chapbook reenacting the dramas and parables therein and mindless and pale with a longing that nothing save dark’s total restitution could appease."

I mean come on. Are you loving kidding me? What a mesmerizing, entrancing use of language

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jul 9, 2023

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
So far it’s mostly been as bleak as expected, but there was one section that made me laugh out loud for the first time in a McCarthy work. When you see a profound passage like “The crimes of the moonlight melonmounter followed him as crimes will,” you know something good is sure to follow.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Picking this up from the library soon, can't wait!!!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just the first three pages in and wow, I think I am really going to love this

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I do believe that man is reading that book

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

AngusPodgorny posted:

So far it’s mostly been as bleak as expected, but there was one section that made me laugh out loud for the first time in a McCarthy work. When you see a profound passage like “The crimes of the moonlight melonmounter followed him as crimes will,” you know something good is sure to follow.

Everything with Harrogate is hilarious. Easily McCarthy's funniest character.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Suttree is one of my favorite books of all time just for the part in the opening where it describes a cat walking between fenceposts in the shadows as "cat and countercat". I think about that sentence more than any other in the english language.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

No no, there are still lots of tragic moments that hit impossibly hard, just there are also some goddamn hilarious moments too.

escape artist posted:

Gonna get me a nice watermelon and sit down with the audiobook tonight. I suggest y'all do the same.

Lol :gooncamp:

Danger posted:

Suttree is one of my favorite books of all time just for the part in the opening where it describes a cat walking between fenceposts in the shadows as "cat and countercat". I think about that sentence more than any other in the english language.

For me there's a line like that, I can't remember the specifics of it, but it was something like 'Suttree walking drunkenly toward his reflection drunkenly walking.' Just absolutely genius-level for how well it describes a reflection. My version is poo poo but if anyone comes across the real version of that line, can you post it in the thread? I don't have my copy of the book handy.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 12, 2023

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Danger posted:

Ha, also one of my favorite lines and the one that made me buy it right away after sampling the first however many pages.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

He's just so capable of creating a place of scene with relatively few, but gorgeous, words. Its one of the things I loved about Blood Meridian too, how lovingly the landscape was described, making the dialogues flow within a well centered location within my mindscape

I'm not sure if I'm really capable of describing what I mean, probably time to go back to school and get a lit degree!

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I read Suttree last year so I won’t be reading along, but just want send words of encouragement to anyone who is faltering at the beginning. It took me, I think, three attempts over some years before I got past pg. 50. I’ll also say it has my favorite final sentence of any book. Final lines don’t tend to stay in my mind but that one will.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I’m regretting not reading on kindle so I can copy and paste as I go. Just so many genius passages just out of nowhere he hits you with something (when looking 👀 get the old pictures:

The landscapes, old backdrops, redundant too, recurring unchanged as if they inhabited another medium than the dry pilgrims shored up on them. Blind Mobil in the earths map cast up in an eye link between becoming and done. I am, I am.

Also not a direct quote but the passage of suttree going out and getting shitfaced and waking up hungover was impressionistic in how I felt maybe a little too well what that was like

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Just read the episode of Harrogate in prison, so funny

The contrast between Suttree and the other prisoners is really stark despite it not being strongly emphasized in the text. A master class of writing

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Proust Malone posted:

Also not a direct quote but the passage of suttree going out and getting shitfaced and waking up hungover was impressionistic in how I felt maybe a little too well what that was like

I must've read Suttree 15 years ago and that still sticks with me

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm about a third of the way through the book and I'm loving it. There was an unintentional bit of comedy when McCarthy is describing the scene when Suttree is on the train and its all dreary and dark and the last line of the paragraph is something to the effect of "and the rain fell into a freshly dug grave" which to me was hilarious because you just got done reading this long paragraph of how depressing everything was and then just as a kind of last kick to the feels he's gotta add "oh yeah and somebody's DEAD TOO!" Idk thats probably just me but it got a laugh.

edit: Harrowgate killing the pig was so visceral and disgusting I had to take a break. Fantastic scene writing though

Arson Daily fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 14, 2023

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arson Daily posted:

I'm about a third of the way through the book and I'm loving it. There was an unintentional bit of comedy when McCarthy is describing the scene when Suttree is on the train and its all dreary and dark and the last line of the paragraph is something to the effect of "and the rain fell into a freshly dug grave" which to me was hilarious because you just got done reading this long paragraph of how depressing everything was and then just as a kind of last kick to the feels he's gotta add "oh yeah and somebody's DEAD TOO!" Idk thats probably just me but it got a laugh.

edit: Harrowgate killing the pig was so visceral and disgusting I had to take a break. Fantastic scene writing though

I just read this scene and visceral. Yes. Literally. I was reminded of the knife fight scenes in the border books where the violence feels the same way. Have you guys ever been knocked out in a fight? Or boxed or whatever? There’s this odd sense of peace in the senselessness of it where once there was this high tension of anxiety and anger and fear then all at once the ground. Full sensual experience of how rough and hot the concrete is. That’s what the violence in these novels elicits for me.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Arson Daily posted:

Not suttree, but this happened to me watching The Pacific. For like 3 episodes this group of Marines are fighting and dying in Tarawa and Pelileu, just the most gruesome poo poo ever, then Sledge gets a letter from home that says his dog died. It was played sad in the show but I laughed so hard I almost cried because of exactly the reason you describe here.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Proust Malone posted:

I just read this scene and visceral. Yes. Literally. I was reminded of the knife fight scenes in the border books where the violence feels the same way.

The fight at the end of Cities of the Plain made me very queasy. I can’t recall another book doing that to me before.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Wish my copy would get to the library soon. 🫠

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Does zlib work again?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
it's available on Scribd if you want to do a free 30 day trial

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

quote:

How surely are the dead beyond death. Death is what the living carry with them. A state of dread, like some uncanny foretaste of a bitter memory. But the dead do not remember and nothingness is not a curse. Far from it.

I’ve never really connected with any of McCarthy’s characters. The plots aren’t what I’m here for. It’s this these little prose poems tucked in here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Well I just finished. This is my first of his pre-Blood Meridian books. It takes place across the mountain from where I grew up, so it was a much more familiar setting. Suttree even cries in the ABC store in my hometown.

A very good book. Downright hilarious at times. Harrogate is an amazing character. But so much darkness as well.