Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TweetDeck is about to go behind the Verified paywall

https://twitter.com/twittersupport/status/1675990712297443330?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Taking broken services off of free status and charging for them doesn't seem like a winning business move, but I guess that's why I'm not a CTO.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
just a heads up: vxtwitter doesn't embed on SA (maybe you copypasted something off of discord, which is where it does embed), while normal twitter still embeds on SA

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

just a heads up: vxtwitter doesn't embed on SA (maybe you copypasted something off of discord, which is where it does embed), while normal twitter still embeds on SA
For some reason it was showing for me on mobile. I just fixed it

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
ah maybe it doesn't embed on specifically desktop then

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

fwiw this means old tweetdeck, which the great extension BetterTweetdeck could previously rollback to, is also no longer available, and the dude who made BTD extremely understandably is not willing to keep up musk's daily nonsense decision

https://twitter.com/BetterTDeck/status/1676107691389853696?s=20

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Twitter content hasn't embedded in posts I see for a long time. I'm glad for it but wish people would describe or copy the tweet (if they must Twitter), as I don't usually even click the link unless I'm terribly curious.

Anyway I haven't even been able to read tweets since the weekend even if I follow the link, and its good because I'm just assuming they'll never work again and I don't need to bother clicking in the future. They finally broke Twitter as far as my experience with it goes.

And I'm still, always, and forever dissapointed that Instagram isn't a drug delivery service.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BRJurgis posted:

Anyway I haven't even been able to read tweets since the weekend even if I follow the link, and its good because I'm just assuming they'll never work again and I don't need to bother clicking in the future. They finally broke Twitter as far as my experience with it goes.

Same, I was still clicking the links now and then out of habit but given how the site works now Twitter itself made me completely stop looking at it.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm very confused because Twitter seems so fixed to me that I'm not even seeing rate limits. I don't know if I'm a low stamina user or if uBlock did a stealth filter for it. I haven't had to use Tweetdeck for two days but that got broken (and will be gone anyway) and has now logged me out too apparently.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I haven't run into that rate limit issue again either. Maybe they finally figured out the DDOS thing and quietly fixed it

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe this is me being naive, but even if they fixed it, it feels over. They've done the one thing they never should've allowed, show people that their entire online social life/career can go up and poof into nothing on a sudden stupid whim. With Automattic, WordPress, Meta, etc. pushing activitypub, I don't see how the closed social web will survive against platforms that don't hold you and your followers hostage to them. Either way, I've committed to deleting bluebird as I've done with spezit~

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also, Facebook's "steal literally all your data" Threads app comes out in two days, so I'm sure people will be jumping all over that. At least until their iPhone tells them that it's going to steal all their data, maybe.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Mercury_Storm posted:

Also, Facebook's "steal literally all your data" Threads app comes out in two days, so I'm sure people will be jumping all over that. At least until their iPhone tells them that it's going to steal all their data, maybe.

https://www.independent.ie/business...1927220337.html

Not in Europe, we won't. This also makes hard to steal Twitter's user base, at least right away.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Most people don’t care and just smash the ok/agree button to make the message go away.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
social media addicts are gonna addict.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snow Fire posted:

Maybe this is me being naive, but even if they fixed it, it feels over. They've done the one thing they never should've allowed, show people that their entire online social life/career can go up and poof into nothing on a sudden stupid whim. With Automattic, WordPress, Meta, etc. pushing activitypub, I don't see how the closed social web will survive against platforms that don't hold you and your followers hostage to them. Either way, I've committed to deleting bluebird as I've done with spezit~

As we've all seen multiple times with various online services; MySpace comes to mind; when people finally get sick of the enshittification and jump ship to a new platform, it happens fast. A lot about these platforms doesn't actually rely a lot on existing history despite what people feel (if it did they'd have non-poo poo means of actually reading history) and all it takes is people feeling their daily routine is disrupted to go 'gently caress it' and drop something. And the network effect that props these services up means as soon as there's a new cool place to be, the old and busted shithole instantly collapses to a fraction of its former self.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Facebook is okay for keeping up with what people are doing, and unfortunately the best/most used event calendar. For some reason the algorithm has determined I am an obsessed, die-hard comic book fan. Apparently I want to see out-of-context panels, top ten lists, fake movie posters for MCU movies, etc. I haven't watched an MCU movie in over five years and don't read comic books.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Threads is apparently live now, but I'm sure as hell not using another Meta product

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
If you've got Instagram you've already got the login, and it comes with @dril preinstalled

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 6, 2023

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna ask, is Threads a legit contender to Twitter? I can't imagine wanting to go from Twitter to a Meta product lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Popete posted:

I was gonna ask, is Threads a legit contender to Twitter? I can't imagine wanting to go from Twitter to a Meta product lol

I have no intention of using it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is there a way to run multiple accounts? My instagram is all people I know irl, but I want the freedom to shitpost. This feels like such a boomer question.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
The permissions the app wants are all-consuming - Meta/Facebook can’t even pretend not to be a panopticon. And like with Bluesky you’re still fundamentally handing your time, energy, thoughts, and content over to a billionaire to feed into whatever AIs they have or marketers they want to sell it to. Give it a pass unless you’re too defeated to care.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Popete posted:

It’s the most serious contender to Twitter, but whether or not it succeeds remains to be seen.

What Threads has that the other Twitter contenders (Mastodon, Bluesky) don’t have are users. Every Instagram user can tap a button and now they’re on Threads. Pretty much every single celebrity and influencer is already on Instagram so now they’re on Threads too. Instagram is also “cool” (as in, people actually use it/want to use it, unlike Facebook which everyone knows is for boomers) so a lot of people from all generations already have an account and can jump into Threads too.

Mastodon has its confusing signup process, which yes many people see this is a feature not a bug, but the average person looking for a Twitter clone doesn’t want to deal with choosing the right instance to register on. People often compare this to signing up for email and how everyone figured it out so what’s the problem here? Well the problem is that people signing up for a social media app don’t see it the same way as signing up for email. And also when people sign up for emails these days it’s overwhelming gmail or insert local country provider like GMX for Germany (unless that’s changed by now).

Bluesky isn’t even launched yet and you need an invite code to get in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I could see Threads taking over since it is using the Instagram base, and BlueSky is still invite-only

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The major thing going against it right now is that Threads isn’t going to be released in the EU anytime soon presumably because of data collection and privacy laws.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
Early previews suggest that Threads is 100% algorithm-controlled with (currently) no way to force chronological feed. Even following someone is no guarantee it will serve you anything they post, making follows more of a suggestion than a rule.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The interesting thing is that Mastodon essentially gave everyone exactly what they wished for (more control over what you see, the ability to eliminate abusive behaviour, no algorithm bullshit, not ad-driven) and everyone's like "gently caress it, that poo poo's too complex."

It's because ultimately people don't want an echo-chamber, nor do they want libertarian free speech; they want a comfy little fortress of friends and just enough Posting Enemies that they can run out and attack people and get all pissed off, before running back to safety.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s the most serious contender to Twitter, but whether or not it succeeds remains to be seen.

What Threads has that the other Twitter contenders (Mastodon, Bluesky) don’t have are users. Every Instagram user can tap a button and now they’re on Threads. Pretty much every single celebrity and influencer is already on Instagram so now they’re on Threads too.

This was also true back in the day for everyone with a youtube/gmail account and Google Plus, so it's not a total silver bullet.

I do respect them for naming their social media network after a horrifying depiction of the aftermath of nuclear war, though

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Angepain posted:

This was also true back in the day for everyone with a youtube/gmail account and Google Plus, so it's not a total silver bullet.

I do respect them for naming their social media network after a horrifying depiction of the aftermath of nuclear war, though

Yeah but when Google+ rolled out Facebook wasn’t actively trying to kill itself and drive away users. Twitter is currently doing both of that.

E: Actually I remember Google+ did the invite code only thing and this article seems to confirm that.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jul 6, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

I keep reading this like that too, and dang these kids :argh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Morroque posted:

Early previews suggest that Threads is 100% algorithm-controlled with (currently) no way to force chronological feed. Even following someone is no guarantee it will serve you anything they post, making follows more of a suggestion than a rule.
I haven't been on Facebook in ages but isn't that the same thing they do there

If so, not interested

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Lets check in to see how Threads is doing.

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1676781538841620480

Supposedly its already available if you click on the hamburger menu from your Instagram app and you are in the US.
Its app only atm, no web interface.
Comes out later tonight I think though for those not in the US.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

OgNar posted:

Lets check in to see how Threads is doing.

https://twitter.com/itsJeffTiedrich/status/1676781538841620480

Supposedly its already available if you click on the hamburger menu from your Instagram app and you are in the US.
Its app only atm, no web interface.
Comes out later tonight I think though for those not in the US.

Why should I care what a blue check dumbass has to say? I have no idea who he is and Twitter won’t let me peep his profile so I have to assume he’s just an Elon Stan.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why should I care what a blue check dumbass has to say? I have no idea who he is and Twitter won’t let me peep his profile so I have to assume he’s just an Elon Stan.

worse.

he's a Trump "frist post!" reply-guy who spent 4 straight years going "how dare you, sir!" like a text version of Keith Olbermann

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I haven't been on Facebook in ages but isn't that the same thing they do there

If so, not interested

The thing is, from a social network engineering standpoint, I can almost see why they'd do it. Supposing their prespective, you're going to have millions of users making database requests that need to be sorted, which is computationally expensive -- and gets more expensive the more complex the query is. However with a "recommendation system," if you notice that some accounts are more popular than others, you can save on energy by only sorting a query exactly once and serving it to everyone even if its not an exact match. ... that's the theory at least. It's very cost-efficient for large-scale platforms, but it's also incredibly prone to abuse in actual practice.

Not only is there the whole advertising-and-nepotism angle of manually rigging the recommendation system, it also tends to price out mid-level players even at nominal operation. This was a constant complaint I heard for Youtube, where people were saying even being subscribed to a particular channel was no longer a guarantee you'll be notified when they post a new video. It's an enshittification thing, yeah, but there almost a kind of logic to it aside from that.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Pretty hilarious that threads just isn't releasing in the EU right now because they want to steal way more data and only the US allows stealing that much data. Was making a "steal less data" version for the EU too hard to release on-time or something?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mercury_Storm posted:

Pretty hilarious that threads just isn't releasing in the EU right now because they want to steal way more data and only the US allows stealing that much data. Was making a "steal less data" version for the EU too hard to release on-time or something?

Meta makes money by selling user data. EU's GDPR law does not smile fondly upon such data collection and selling

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Hey now, the UK is perfectly fine with their citizens having their data stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Boris Galerkin posted:

he's one of the many people that elon """graciously gave""" (see: forced) the checkmark on in an attempt to make them look foolish because they said that they would never subscribe to twitter blue because it's a stupid idea and elon is a bitch

as for why he's relevant:

Shrecknet posted:

worse.

he's a Trump "frist post!" reply-guy who spent 4 straight years going "how dare you, sir!" like a text version of Keith Olbermann

to be fair to him some of his replies were funny but that's not surprising considering that he responded to literally every tweet trump made as president, something was bound to land

he's a terminally online weirdo regardless