Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SupSup 63:

So Stuart's sister's name was "Stu", or it was in part "Stu" huh?

quote:

“As an alternative, I read that I could name my first born after you,” said Stuart. “But we didn’t know each other that well, and people should choose their own mourning names if they want to. Not have them bestowed by their parents. And I have already taken my own.”

Some Artonans took a mourning name in honor of a person who had died. It went at the beginning. Like the “Worli” in front of Joe’s name.

I liked the whole encounter. Stuart's a real awkward kid but he's got a good heart. And now we've got Alden and Alden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

SupSup 63:

So Stuart's sister's name was "Stu", or it was in part "Stu" huh?

I liked the whole encounter. Stuart's a real awkward kid but he's got a good heart. And now we've got Alden and Alden.

I didn't pick up on this, but it might be the case. But I'm not sure, since IIRC Stu-art'h is one word, so it might be some other name before that which we haven't seen.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Ytlaya posted:

I didn't pick up on this, but it might be the case. But I'm not sure, since IIRC Stu-art'h is one word, so it might be some other name before that which we haven't seen.

Sleyca responded to a strong guess comment confirming that Stuart's full name is Sina Stu-art'h.

I really liked this chapter. It was cute and funny. I love how Alden is so confident about some of his interpretations of things even though he is way out of his depth in terms of cultural ignorance. Lovely.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Bremen posted:

Glad to hear it! I haven't been enjoying the latest book as much, it feels a little aimless, but the stuff until there was really good and you have a long ways to go to get there.

I'm up to chapter 102 now and it's starting to irritate me more and more. Focus on your schoolwork and just ignore this other poo poo! You are doing this to yourself!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm up to chapter 102 now and it's starting to irritate me more and more. Focus on your schoolwork and just ignore this other poo poo! You are doing this to yourself!

A perfect summary of a Practical Guide to Sorcery.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Does it get better or should I stop...

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nettle Soup posted:

Does it get better or should I stop...

Well... it kinda does in that she eventually (spoilers I guess, but it sounds like what you want to know) pays off the money she owes and hasn't done anything as the Raven Queen so far this book, kinda contributing to what I said about it feeling aimless. She still has a hinted at plan to try to deal with being hunted by the authorities, which it's a fair bet will backfire, though. Honestly though I haven't found a book of her just dealing with school life to be very interesting, though.

A lot depends on why you aren't enjoying it, I guess.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I guess I just want a bit of a reset rather than ever intensifying trauma and self-inflicted problems. I'll probably go back to it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

You will get that. Eventually.

The beamshell poo poo doesn't even really blow up in her face the way I was expecting it to. Bit of an anti-climax there.

Actually, I find it kind of interesting to examine A Practical Guide to Sorcery as something of a response to The Kingkiller Chronicles. They're very similar on a synoptic level (not an original observation, I know), similar enough I think it has to be a conscious inspiration, but where Kingkiller seems to think we should find Kvothe cool, and his constant self-sabotage charming or even admirable, aPGtS seems very aware that Siobhan is an unlikeable fuckup. Not unsympathetic! Or untalented. But absolutely an abrasive, off-putting rear end in a top hat with a very rigid mode of thought that is frequently maladaptive.

Very funny to imagine Rothfuss getting lapped by some rando web serial author.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I agree Rothfuss wants us to think Kvothe is cool, but I don't think we're supposed to think Kvothe is a good guy. He reads about fantasy Josef Mengele and goes, "drat that guy really advanced medical knowledge." A character goes hard about how a certain magic should never ever be used to hurt people. A chapter or two later, Kvothe uses the magic to hurt people without any hesitation or remorse.

The framing in general is that Kvothe ruined the world out of arrogance and destroyed all his own chances at happiness through his misogyny.

It is annoying that it will never be confirmed because book three will never come out. Rothfuss is no Gene Wolf and his story can't hold up with the protagonist being savior and satan simultaneously. It's really good if a web serial is a lot more up front about this kind of stuff. The format would make it totally insufferable given the lack of a defined end point.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wittgen posted:

I agree Rothfuss wants us to think Kvothe is cool, but I don't think we're supposed to think Kvothe is a good guy. He reads about fantasy Josef Mengele and goes, "drat that guy really advanced medical knowledge." A character goes hard about how a certain magic should never ever be used to hurt people. A chapter or two later, Kvothe uses the magic to hurt people without any hesitation or remorse.

The framing in general is that Kvothe ruined the world out of arrogance and destroyed all his own chances at happiness through his misogyny.

It is annoying that it will never be confirmed because book three will never come out. Rothfuss is no Gene Wolf and his story can't hold up with the protagonist being savior and satan simultaneously. It's really good if a web serial is a lot more up front about this kind of stuff. The format would make it totally insufferable given the lack of a defined end point.

Book 2 Kvothe is absolutely supposed to be cool and good, the author bought into his own character's hype

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 3, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nettle Soup posted:

I guess I just want a bit of a reset rather than ever intensifying trauma and self-inflicted problems. I'll probably go back to it.

This is why I dropped it.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ytlaya posted:

Nah, Stu-art'h is two words. Artorians divide given and family names by a dash rather than a space. So Stuart is Stu of the art'h family.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Despite otherwise being an engaging semi-anti-hero system apocalypse, Double Blind has a similar problem with ever intensifying trauma. Every time the MC takes two steps forwards, something happens from complete left field to push him back three steps.

The author even promised to tone the grim-dark down at one point and then... I guess forgot?

It also ran into the problem a lot of intrigue heavy stories do. The author finished all their planned story arcs and then kept writing with less planning time. So stuff wasn't setup properly anymore and everything felt increasingly forced. I eventually dropped it when the MC went head-to-head with an entire allied guild as a result of a series of stupid decisions and improbable coincidences but won anyways as a result of a deus-ex-machina level up.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

You will get that. Eventually.

The beamshell poo poo doesn't even really blow up in her face the way I was expecting it to. Bit of an anti-climax there.

Actually, I find it kind of interesting to examine A Practical Guide to Sorcery as something of a response to The Kingkiller Chronicles. They're very similar on a synoptic level (not an original observation, I know), similar enough I think it has to be a conscious inspiration, but where Kingkiller seems to think we should find Kvothe cool, and his constant self-sabotage charming or even admirable, aPGtS seems very aware that Siobhan is an unlikeable fuckup. Not unsympathetic! Or untalented. But absolutely an abrasive, off-putting rear end in a top hat with a very rigid mode of thought that is frequently maladaptive.

Very funny to imagine Rothfuss getting lapped by some rando web serial author.
:same:

I vaguely recall aPGtS hinting in several places that her maladaptive behaviors were a result of the way she was raised, as opposed to Kvothe's perfect childhood. Yes Kvothe was a homeless thief for a while, but he handled that perfectly, just like everything else.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 4, 2023

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

LLSix posted:

Double Blind has a similar problem with ever intensifying trauma.

That's by the Re;Monarch guy, right? I dropped that one because of the same issue. No matter how the mc tried to improve things, his life was one awful thing after another.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Man it's a long time since I read Name of the Wind, shame the second and third books never came out. Tak is fun to play on Tabletop Simulator sometimes though.

Joking aside, I do see the similarities. I one of my issue with PGtS atm is just how socially isolated she is. Everybody around her wants to be her friend and is also super accomodating to her needs and she just can't accept that even for a moment. I realise that's 100% an issue with the character, not the writing, but good lord is it frustrating. Kvothe at least had friends, I think. Roof-girl, sex lady, sch... school friends? God it's probably been a decade.

I guess Siobhan was also a homeless thief for a while, but handled it much worse.

There's no self-reflection or learning, she is in a well and she just keeps digging.

Anyway, I'm reading some garbage isekai atm so I'll probably go back to it in a few days.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Started reading "The Perfect Run" on a recommendation and... is this really it? I'm 4 chapters in and this feels exactly like a really terrible mary-sue fanfiction MC who can do anything.

I'm gonna give this like 10 chapters but if this is all it is I'm dropping it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I kept going with that for way to long waiting for it to get good, it doesn't.

imnotinsane
Jul 19, 2006
I gave it a go and fell off it big time, I found Quicksave to be very grating. But I was bored and gave it another go and ended up reading it all. All of his stuff is at least competently written. I did find a lot of the first arc not as interesting, the whole looking for Len stuff felt really juvenile and wasn't pleasant to read. It does move past that which I think I found more interesting.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started reading "The Perfect Run" on a recommendation and... is this really it? I'm 4 chapters in and this feels exactly like a really terrible mary-sue fanfiction MC who can do anything.

I don't know if you'll enjoy it (I certainly did), but the MC's personality in the first few chapters is very much an act that eventually gets dropped.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

It does get a little more serious eventually, and even provides a half-decent explanation for why Quicksave acts that way: He's over a thousand years old and very, very bored.

All of that author's writing is of the lol-random style of humor. Same author as Vainqeur. If you don't like that style of humor, you probably aren't going to like Perfect Run. It was the author's most serious story when he wrote it (I haven't checked to see what he wrote after it), so if you do like that kind of humor it may not be random enough for you.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

vainqueur was a comedy and the author is good at that

i also found the perfect run to be really offputting. none of the charm of vainqueur, just the writing flaws that you forgive in vainqueur because it isn't really supposed to make 100% sense but which are really bad for a serious story

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 4, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I tried and dropped 4 stories by Void Herald for all being generic slop despite theoretically interesting premises.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Perfect run was interesting in the "great power, great responsibility" burden. Dude has the ability to undo anything but every death/disaster is set in stone if he saves - making him focused on hyper perfect runs between saves. That messed up mindset and a thousand plus years of reversible consequences and everyone constantly forgetting him and the reality he remembers definitely takes a toll. It starts out super grating and does start to get better when he finds Len and realizes she knew where he was the entire time but the story isn't amazing enough to push through if you're not digging it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Patrick Spens posted:

Nah, Stu-art'h is two words. Artorians divide given and family names by a dash rather than a space. So Stuart is Stu of the art'h family.

Like Wittgen mentioned, it actually turns out that Stu-art'h's full name, including the mourning name, is Sina Stu-art'h. And Joe is Worli Ro-den. So it seems like they have a last name that is composed of a family component and a given component, and then a first name that can come from somewhere else (it's not clear if it's always a mourning name, or if they have some other name there before that can be replaced by a mourning name).

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I tried and dropped 4 stories by Void Herald for all being generic slop despite theoretically interesting premises.

There are two main things that bugged me about Perfect Run (the only one I've read, but it's apparently supposed to be one of his best?):

- The protagonist is extremely obnoxious and comes off like a middle schooler's idea of a cool guy. He has "flaws," but they're the sort of flaws that are obviously supposed to be seen as cool by the reader. The fact that he's so tortured by his experience of living for so long is just something to add texture to his character. Maybe he drives some woman away, but it's very hard for her because of how magnetic and charismatic the protagonist is.
- The women characters all seem like stereotypical women from American comic books in the worst possible way, with the most prominent ones heavily revolving around the protagonist.

The author is pretty competent when it comes to pacing and writing action scenes, which helps a lot with making it stand out amongst other (as you put it) "generic slop" (and is the only reason I managed to read as far as I did) but I think it's still fundamentally the same sort of thing at its core.

(I was more baffled than I let on when someone in this thread mentioning thinking it was better than Super Supportive, because that's a genuinely incomprehensible opinion to me)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 4, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Gave up on "The Prefect Run" after 12 chapters. Miserable book and I hate the MC. There's no tension to any scene since he can just redo anything.

Started "The Last Orellen". About 20 chapters in and it's been a banger so far. Loving it, and I'm going keep going on this one.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Started reading Bog Standard Isekai and it's surprising good? The opening arc is well done and litrpg elements are minor so far. The MC is not OP but still survives in a believable manner (hiding and setting traps).

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is The Last Tide no longer for sale? Not even as an ebook (e-comic?)?

The kickstarted links to a site that claims to sell it, but doesn't seem to actually do so.
https://www.cloudscapecomics.com/last-tide/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gave up on "The Prefect Run" after 12 chapters. Miserable book and I hate the MC. There's no tension to any scene since he can just redo anything.
yeah it's at least an interesting concept (when you're a thousand years old but nobody else has accumulated memories of it, and you care deeply about getting everything juuuust right, but you only have one save point) but it's really, really bad.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I liked it a lot and I don't know what that says about me.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Started "The Last Orellen". About 20 chapters in and it's been a banger so far. Loving it, and I'm going keep going on this one.

The Last Orellen is very good (as in: equivalent to a quality commercial publication I'd happily recommend to friends without caveats), the only real concern/reservation with it is the year+ hiatus the author took between chapters 25 and 26, which (purely as a reader and all caveats about entitlement aside) is pretty rough for a story you actually get invested in, but it did start up again and subsequent updates have been fairly consistent

it is near the very top of my list of most-anticipated/appreciated updates

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 5, 2023

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

blastron posted:

I liked it a lot and I don't know what that says about me.

Same, it is a good story, though I will say that the first 15-20 chapters are meh until you find out why the main character is like he is.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Count me as a third that greatly enjoyed The Perfect Run. On the other hand I ended up dropping Vainqueur halfway through.

So I guess the lesson here is people have different tastes.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I certainly don't begrudge someone enjoying it. Read the stuff you like.

I personally found the MC extremely grating. I uncovered all the spoilers people posted on here about and nothing about it really spoke to me either to continue. I assume the mysterious person who keeps killing him is Len too.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Is The Last Tide no longer for sale? Not even as an ebook (e-comic?)?

The kickstarted links to a site that claims to sell it, but doesn't seem to actually do so.
https://www.cloudscapecomics.com/last-tide/

I didn't try to purchase it, but does this link work? The page you linked is the splash page that seems to be out of date at this point.

https://cloudscape.gumroad.com/l/last-tide

Or this for the softcover

https://www.cloudscapecomics.com/product/the-last-tide-soft-cover/

I was able to add the physical copy to my cart with no issues.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This was quite good, actually:

Kyoujin posted:

Started reading Bog Standard Isekai and it's surprising good? The opening arc is well done and litrpg elements are minor so far. The MC is not OP but still survives in a believable manner (hiding and setting traps).

I've read what's been posted at the moment and I second the recommendation. The title doesn't do the story justice, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I certainly don't begrudge someone enjoying it. Read the stuff you like.

I personally found the MC extremely grating. I uncovered all the spoilers people posted on here about and nothing about it really spoke to me either to continue. I assume the mysterious person who keeps killing him is Len too.

Nah, Len has conflicted feelings about him but she doesn't want him dead. She also doesn't know about the savepoint things. They eventually have a talk and work things out.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

I also quite enjoyed the Perfect Run. It's a well done superhero romp. I totally get not gelling with the main character's vibe, and it certainly doesn't have much more depth than your average adolescent power fantasy. ("Human connections are important, and you have to be vulnerable to have them.") If you just want a well paced action adventure romp, though, it really delivers.

The idea that it is even in the same league as Super Supportive is insanity though. Agree with that.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009

Megazver posted:

This was quite good, actually:

I've read what's been posted at the moment and I second the recommendation. The title doesn't do the story justice, though.

Caught up and it is good. Minor pet peeve: it does the thing where an average desk job worker now has the drive and determination to ignore pain and work crazy hard. Although trauma from hiding in the undead infested ruins of a village for weeks is quite the motivator and it's handled pretty well.

Minor spoilers and base speculation: Perris is the best and hope he sticks around for a long time. Tawna is a bitch and her own actions will probably bring about the downfall she is afraid of. I could see her cornering Mark and triggering the oath forcing Hogg to avenge him. Would also be funny if Lumina came to visit and went berserk on her then gave Hogg an earful for not standing up for his adopted son.

Also Mark is an idiot for not mentioning the invisible spies and that definitely won't be an issue later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 64
Wow, Boe being an unregistered Avowed was not on my bingo card. What are the chances?