Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Apparently there's a hidden message in the latest anime episode:

https://twitter.com/thebrazenninja/status/1675456690010083328?s=46&t=LvaT5GVUZKFksggmshp1vg

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm the whitest white guy so I had to look up what that meant. That's fuckin' great.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sb4wxbHh-4

PV for Egghead arc featuring a song by Calliope Mori but also more importantly the Vegapunks in color

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sb4wxbHh-4

PV for Egghead arc featuring a song by Calliope Mori but also more importantly the Vegapunks in color

This is for the volume release, right?

Also this is very old school and I love it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is for the volume release, right?

Also this is very old school and I love it.

I assume so seeing as the anime still has a little ways to go before it’s even done with Wano

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I remember Egghead, from all those long years ago.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I can't think of many Shounen manga that have the guts/clout to cut away from the main cast for months at a time and still keep me as engaged as it does.

I'd roll my eyes when Naruto would be on the 10th straight week in a row of Sasuke, but OP's world is so vibrant and interesting I don't mind taking a break from the strawhats to learn about the Quadrupal Jointed half-goat men on Coffee Creamer Island.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hunter x Hunter :v:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

16 weeks since we last saw Monkey D. Luffy :(

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Terper posted:

When was the last chapter that featured Gon....

2014! Almost a decade now, that's wild.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Terper posted:

Even when HxH is back it's just turned into a never ending one upmanship powerfest that is just an encyclopaedia of :words: to justify the I PLAY POT OF GREED AND DRAW THREE ADDITIONAL CARDS nonsense that is going on.

They're never getting off that boat man

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Devastated to discover that the four week hiatus only began when the next chapter was supposed to release, and not when the previous chapter released, so there’s still two whole weeks remaining.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Begemot posted:

When was the last chapter that featured Gon....

2014! Almost a decade now, that's wild.
Gone Freecss

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DizzyBum posted:

I'm the whitest white guy so I had to look up what that meant. That's fuckin' great.

Same.... and same!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Happy birthday Nami

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/littleramyun/status/1676039008101474307?t=4TqxvrK3yObAfSbUivBFLw&s=19

Michelle Rojas is playing Yamato in the dub

Also wow I made the mistake of going into the quote tweets for a post about Yamato oof

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 4, 2023

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Waffleman_ posted:

Also wow I made the mistake of going into the quote tweets for a post about Yamato oof

On behalf of me and my therapist, thank you for the reminder!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1675924918171754496

The Library of Ohara guy got an early look at the Netflix show and came away pretty positive

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
man in full jedi robes says star wars episode 9 is the best movie in the series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryaomon posted:

Not a good analogy, nobody hates Star Wars more than Star Wars fans

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ryaomon posted:

Basically, yeah. But I think I might be a guy who wears full jedi robes. I may be able to convince myself that I like this show.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah it's not exactly rare for a hardcore anime fan to hate a live action adaptation of it. Although do note the disclaimer in the second tweet about how he did contribute some lore guidance to the show (I think mainly just in terms of using his timelines and stuff).

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 4, 2023

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Yeah, early impressions are meaningless to anyone from any professional outlet. They won't be too negative because they won't want to be left out of similar future events. Library of Ohara might not be some massive website, but that guy could still get invited to other One Piece events for years to come, so he won't rock the boat and say the show is trash, even if that's what he feels.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Christ you people

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Rojas will do a fine job, I'm sure, but I really feel bad for her Twitter usage now since she said The Thing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The Library of Ohara guy got an early look at the Netflix show and came away pretty positive

https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1675924945048838144

the tldr which seems to be the main complaints from the trailer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m not stupid enough to check, I’m guessing The Thing is using Yamato’s proper gender?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

I’m not stupid enough to check, I’m guessing The Thing is using Yamato’s proper gender?

She used the him word yeah

Which probably suggests that that's what the dub will be doing

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Artur rules. If you’re itching for more one piece content his website is exhaustive in detailing the nuances of translation and explaining references. He will probably be the first person to guess the ending if he hasn’t yet.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

She used the him word yeah

Which probably suggests that that's what the dub will be doing

Lol, one piece fans are the loving worst if that incited an argument in a voice actor character announcement post, just admit you wanna gently caress the giant ogre transman and that you’re probably a little gay.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, one piece fans are the loving worst if that incited an argument in a voice actor character announcement post, just admit you wanna gently caress the giant ogre transman and that you’re probably a little gay.

Pretty sure there's a segment of Naruto fans who never accepted Haku being male, for similar reasons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

Think it's less One Piece fans and more transphobes in general, mate

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Pretty sure there's a segment of Naruto fans who never accepted Haku being male, for similar reasons.

Ew wasn’t Haku like, 13 tho?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, but to be fair, so were most of the audience at the time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Ew wasn’t Haku like, 13 tho?

14, IIRC. To be fair, I think a lot of the people writing fanfics about female!Haku were themselves 14-year-old boys.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

Indeed and one can almost guess the responses without look. "HACTUALLY you will see in the Vivre cards Oda-sensei listed Yamato as 'female' and furthermore-"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/littleramyun/status/1676039008101474307?t=4TqxvrK3yObAfSbUivBFLw&s=19

this is a great post to go into the comments and block everyone saying *her or "him"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sorry, but some of the arguments in the responses are so loving stupid that they are golden.

There's an entire thread of two idiots arguing that all instances of Yamato saying he's a dude are malicious mistranslations, and justify pirating anime. When the bath seen is presented as evidence, this is their response
https://twitter.com/Dariory1/status/1676315307634315266

Oda literally draws Yamato in the men's bath, and it's a lie of nefarious big localization. It must suck to be so insecure that a fictional character, with babs you like, identifying as a man sets you off.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in literally all but two instances yamato is referred to through male or masculine vernacular in the actual comic. gotta use he/him for an accurate translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

anime was right posted:

in literally all but two instances yamato is referred to through male or masculine vernacular in the actual comic. gotta use he/him for an accurate translation.

Kaido literally calls him with masculine pronouns too. The villain of the arc is less transphobic than these "fans" lmao.

There's an entire scene where Yamato is bathing with Luffy and the male part of the crew!!!!!!!!!!!!!