Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

B-But Yamato was in the spread with Nami and them! That means something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Isn't Yamato straight up refered to as Kaido's son?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm just gonna come out and say it

Yamato is the hottest guy in One Piece

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn't Yamato straight up refered to as Kaido's son?

yeah. like even if odas doing some gimmick i dont understand, literally every character calls yamato a dude except in the intro panel and when yamatos a kid and someone calls yamato the princess and yamato gets mad.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gyges posted:

Sorry, but some of the arguments in the responses are so loving stupid that they are golden.

I will never get tired of 'official localizers are so terrible I'm gonna learn Japanese myself' and then find out that they were translating what was actually said anyway. Like doesn't Luffy call him 'Yama-O' which is basically 'Yama Guy?'

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dawgstar posted:

I will never get tired of 'official localizers are so terrible I'm gonna learn Japanese myself' and then find out that they were translating what was actually said anyway. Like doesn't Luffy call him 'Yama-O' which is basically 'Yama Guy?'

yup. yamato even says "I am yamato. i am kaidos son." not even acknowledging the oden part. two separate sentences as the intro.

this is also why i think the data books are wrong, because it literally just scours the existing info from the comic and relays it again. kikus gender in the databooks is "born man (heart of a woman)" which is being directly referenced here:

this is yamatos intro:

but kiku gets the same style of box:

which means the intro box is biological sex.

in addition, the voice actors go by the characters current presentation. morley, who is a trans woman, uses a masculine voice actor because she hasnt transitioned; so having a feminine voice is completely on brand for yamato.

the databooks have been historically wrong before, so yeah, it feels pretty obvious that oda treats yamato as either nonbinary or trans in some fashion, but in a slightly different way from other characters.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 4, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
The transphobia is bad but also imagine wanting to gently caress anime characters so bad that you'll argue about it on Twitter

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Imagine not enjoying a bro with big tits

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm playing FFXVI, that's all they have and it rules.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

I'm just gonna come out and say it

Hybrid Form Yamato is the hottest guy in One Piece
:colbert:

(I regret nothing)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I just don't get how a group of people who have convinced themselves that it's ok to be horny over so many other things(actually a 5000 year old dragon, etc), can't also figure out how to be horny for a dude with cake and baps.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

It's funny how stark it is in the comments for that tweet that nearly 100% of the lovely replies are blue checks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oda draws a fair few transphobic caricatures so i dont want to give him too much credit, but Kaido respecting Yamato's pronouns and everything involving the bath scene make it clear he's at least trying with Yamato and Kiku. I don't know what inspired this effort besides the revelation that he could draw a man with the big baps, but anyone trying to argue they aren't trans is only fooling themselves

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
dont forget morley. who everyone accepts as a woman.

most of the problems were around sanjis relation to okama kingdom it felt like? iva and bon clay were good chars.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
As someone who doesn't use Twitter and generally avoids the online One Piece fandom outside of this thread: is there as much lovely behavior from the fanbase when it comes to Kiku as there is with Yamato?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also most of the transphobic characters are from at least a decade ago

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

DeadBonesBrook posted:

As someone who doesn't use Twitter and generally avoids the online One Piece fandom outside of this thread: is there as much lovely behavior from the fanbase when it comes to Kiku as there is with Yamato?

Oddly enough, no as far I've seen. I'm sure people are onto something when they say a lot of the transphobia is motivated by people being thirsty for Yamato specifically, but I also get the feeling that the thing people are subconsciously reacting to (or not so subconsciously) is the idea that a prominent popular "cool" character could be trans.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

dont forget morley. who everyone accepts as a woman.

most of the problems were around sanjis relation to okama kingdom it felt like? iva and bon clay were good chars.
it's nice that everyone respects Morley's pronouns but she is not that much less a transphobic caricature than the okama kingdom folks.

Bon Clay and Iva were good but that's about it

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
In the end, I think Oda's heart is in the right place, but he also has absolutely no problem whatsoever with treating gender as a joke, too, so he ends up as being super tactless about it.
There's real and good rep in there (especially with Kiku and Yamato who are pretty much on the whole completely non-problematic,), but also the Okama Kingdom is a place that Sanji found so gross he learned how to fly to get away from the people there, which obviously sucks.
But at the same time, they're an important part of the revolutionary army and are on the whole a force of unambiguous good in the setting, so it's kind of like lose two take one in the end. It's weird.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

They use he/him for Yamato on the OP wiki, which is nice. Small victories, I guess.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Took a while to get there though. They defaulted to she/her, then switched to avoiding referring to him with pronouns, and after only like a month after his introduction did it swap to he/him.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

mdct posted:

Took a while to get there though. They defaulted to she/her, then switched to avoiding referring to him with pronouns, and after only like a month after his introduction did it swap to he/him.

fandom as a company sucks but they actually are pretty good about forcing the wikis to gender people correctly. like its an actual policy of theirs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

mycot posted:

Oddly enough, no as far I've seen. I'm sure people are onto something when they say a lot of the transphobia is motivated by people being thirsty for Yamato specifically, but I also get the feeling that the thing people are subconsciously reacting to (or not so subconsciously) is the idea that a prominent popular "cool" character could be trans.

There was also a good portion of the arc where it really felt like Yamato was going to become a crew member, so it would have been a trans main character

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't know what was in the wiki editors' heart of hearts, but like in hindsight, there were definitely moments that felt like Yamato was more just borrowing an identity, and that he'd have a moment that was like "ah, i can be like oden and ALSO be myself [read: a woman]". obviously that didn't happen and yamato continues to own, but between that and the whole official sources not treating yamato the same as other trans characters it was probably a point of contention

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Man: I'm made of rubber.
Fans: I can believe that.
Woman: I am a man.
Fans: This is unbelievable!!!

This is the kind of series where you can shout who you want to be really loudly and have it become reality, there's no question about it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

There was also a good portion of the arc where it really felt like Yamato was going to become a crew member, so it would have been a trans main character

Ah, Yamato was our most recent "ah, our newest Strawhat!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/popuru_/status/1676056531396182018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Crosspeice posted:

Man: I'm made of rubber.
Fans: I can believe that.
Woman: I am a man.
Fans: This is unbelievable!!!

This is the kind of series where you can shout who you want to be really loudly and have it become reality, there's no question about it.

This is a constant issue with nerds forever. Dragons and demons? Sure, cool. Wizards casting spells that let them summon meteors from space or warp across the entire planet? That's rad! Walking, talking, trees? Yeah, sure. But a black person? Oh man, time to get real pissed about how unrealistic this fantasy setting is; doubly so if there's ever a woman doing any kind of fighting.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
You should respect someone's gender even if you think their reason for transitioning is silly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hell yeah Franky x Robin.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's a hedged review, which coming from someone who loves the story, is a little disconcerting. The CGI is probably bad. There's probably more groan worthy dialog than he lets on. That they changed 'personas' is hella interesting, given the crews interplay is such a strength. Do hope he's right in that they captured the tone of the story. It doesn't take itself seriously, yeah, but it does in the certain places it really, really matters (Chopper's Doc mentor, Senor Pink).

Crossing my fingers this is more like the 'Unfortunate Series of Events' adaption, which was a really beautiful compliment to the book series. Changed things, but almost always additively, and while it had bad CGI and some weird choices an overall great adaption.

Yamato is a fun case in gender identity that in a more fun world would be a fun conversation -- he doesn't say 'I wish I was a dude' but instead 'I am the second coming of this very specific dude'. But bless Oda for not loving that up for the sake of a bad joke in Wano's final chapters, and gently caress the haters.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

hell yeah

if for some reason his own insistence is not enough the question is of course easily settled by yamato's reaction to seeing battle franky

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
oda definitely has the energy of an old embarrassing dad trying his best but something with the size and reach of one piece having the general attitude it does is already a miracle to me lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I feel like Yamato was a well-intentioned draw on Oda's historical knowledge to try and say "see? this sort of thing has been happening for centuries!" but yeah a lot of the nuance is lost in noise of colour spreads and online debates and Sanji gags

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I don't know. The bath scene has sanji and brook pretty psyched to see a dude's boobs. They seem more secure than most of the fandom.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hell yeah Franky x Robin.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Crossing my fingers this is more like the 'Unfortunate Series of Events' adaption, which was a really beautiful compliment to the book series. Changed things, but almost always additively, and while it had bad CGI and some weird choices an overall great adaption.
That's a good comparison, I'm hoping for something like that as well.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Adaptation, not adaption

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Even though Kaido is pissed that Yamato wants to be like Oden, and is a brutal warlord that wants to create a state of anarchy, he still calls him his son.

Kaido is secure with Yamato's gender identity. KAIDO. One of the biggest villains in the series.

Though it is fun to see transphobes out themselves on Twitter whenever this rolls around.

Elblanco posted:

I don't know. The bath scene has sanji and brook pretty psyched to see a dude's boobs. They seem more secure than most of the fandom.

"Dude, nice rack, bro!" "Yo, thanks!" *fistbump*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Yamato is the hottest guy in One Piece

Surely that'd be Akainu, no?

DizzyBum posted:

Kaido is secure with Yamato's gender identity. KAIDO. One of the biggest villains in the series.

"I can excuse slavery and murder, but I draw the line at misgendering my son." but unironically.

Though all this discussion has done is make me miss Yama-bro.