Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Quick someone with photoshop skills merge the Titan Sub with the God-Emperor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

dunc 3 is greenlit but they're bringing in jj abrams to direct

I can wave a flashlight at the camera and will charge half as much.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

you're laughing now but we're gonna need a guy who's good with camera flare when paul wanders the desert blind and alone and contemplates his life choices for the entire last hour of the film

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Part 2 is meant to be the conclusion to the first book, right?

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

I said come in! posted:

Part 2 is meant to be the conclusion to the first book, right?

Yes, but Book 2 (Dune Messiah) is only about half as long as Dune itself, so it will work quite well as Movie 3.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
It’s not remotely some kind of satisfying trilogy ending though.
You have the Idaho/Hayt thing, which will be great, but the rest is uhhhh…. a bit minor key.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Minor key rules though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
They need to get at least as far as Children of Dune. I want to see how they visualize the whole business with the sandtrouts.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm curious if they will even introduce those. I mean they're not really necessary for the story if you're only planning to go as far as Messiah, right?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Arglebargle III posted:

Surely it would have occurred to the spice workers that they're sitting at the galactic choke point.

Remember that "spice is necessary for space travel" is something Paul puts together through prescience/knowledge of the Fremen spice sales/knowledge of the deal with the Guild, the "oh Guild Navigators just float around in spice tanks and chat to people while looking like big fish" started in Messiah.

At the start of Dune nobody except the guild thinks that Arrakis is important for anything other than Space Cocaine.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 3, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kvantum posted:

Yes, but Book 2 (Dune Messiah) is only about half as long as Dune itself, so it will work quite well as Movie 3.
Dune covers books Book 1 through 3, so there''s an argument to be made that Dune Messiah is Book 4 and Children of Dune being Book 5 and 6 based on the lengths.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Remember that "spice is necessary for space travel" is something Paul puts together through prescience/knowledge of the Fremen spice sales/knowledge of the deal with the Guild, the "oh Guild Navigators just float around in spice tanks and chat to people while looking like big fish" started in Messiah.

At the start of Dune nobody except the guild thinks that Arrakis is important for anything other than Space Cocaine.

If nobody knew how important spice was then why the hell was it treated as something so important? I thought spice was like real world oil where everyone knew that oil = power in many ways. Why would people risk their entire lives and families just to mine space drugs if all they thought it was used for was to get high? That makes no sense.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Do we get to the sex ninja ladies in Messiah asking for a friend.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

If nobody knew how important spice was then why the hell was it treated as something so important? I thought spice was like real world oil where everyone knew that oil = power in many ways. Why would people risk their entire lives and families just to mine space drugs if all they thought it was used for was to get high? That makes no sense.
I think everyone knew that it could extend your lifespan drastically, since the emperor was openly super old. So people just figured it was an extremely valuable rich people thing rather than being the backbone of the entire space economy

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Do we get to the sex ninja ladies in Messiah asking for a friend.

No

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

MrL_JaKiri posted:

In the movie at least, the little educational film Paul watches before going to Arrakis says that spice is necessary for space travel, so in the movie version of the universe everybody apparently knows that already

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Martman posted:

I think everyone knew that it could extend your lifespan drastically, since the emperor was openly super old. So people just figured it was an extremely valuable rich people thing rather than being the backbone of the entire space economy

And frankly that alone would make it an astoundingly valuable commodity, let alone its other effects. That it's an absolutely required resource for galactic society to function rather than just a luxury is what's kept secret. Especially since given discovery of Spice presumably predates the Butlerian Jihad, it was probably used far more exclusively for its geriatric qualities before it became the only means of FTL navigation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Either I missed the part about spice extending life or it’s just not mentioned in the movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Either I missed the part about spice extending life or it’s just not mentioned in the movie.

It’s in the movie, in the same sentence as the bit about it being necessary for space travel.

Edit: Well I just checked it and not exactly. They just say it "preserves life and gives enormous health benefits."

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jul 3, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Good thing no one does crimes for regular old non-space cocaine.

Herbert really had such an imagination.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The women who are so good at sex they have magic powers is such a 70s idea lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Arglebargle III posted:

The women who are so good at sex they have magic powers is such a 70s idea lol

Anyone amused by the more whack-rear end poo poo in the Dune novels owes it to themself to read Herbert's earlier book Godmakers, which has most the story beats of Dune but instead of a faux-literary veneer is presented as just the most golly-gee! chrome and ray guns style pulp scifi you can imagine.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lol

quote:

Colin Greenland reviewed The Godmakers for Imagine magazine, and stated that "For all his ever-expanding cosmic perspective, Herbert still writes characters who look and sound as if they'd been cut off the backs of cornflake packets."[1]

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Reading Godmakers was so freaking weird. You can see the shape of so many things to come in Dune, just in this bizarre funhouse-mirror sort of way where the tone is completely off while still pretending to be almost as serious. Some of it comes from the book originally being a bunch of short stories, so each one hits on a particular idea or worldbuilding element taken mostly separately from all the rest, while Dune made them into a more cohesive whole.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given the Fremen filtration technology is drat good and miniaturised for the stillsuits, I imagine they have similar principles at work to harvest spice. When they live out in the desert closer to worm territory and can more confidently navigate it, they can probably set up smaller operations- not as powerful as a harvester, but a lot more of them, and all the time. Especially since there can be enough spice in the air itself to give Paul a contact high, which I think was in the book as well?

And I imagine operating the spice rigs is some pretty awful Victorian era poo poo at best. (Though I imagine it's hard to really stop the crew skimming a bit off the top) At the best of times they're large, complex machinery being used in an environment that specifically fucks up machinery, and losing them is pretty common, especially since every spice harvest is basically a risk/reward balancing act between gathering as much spice as possible and taking off before the worms inevitably arrive. IIRC the book points out some Fremen are on the crew, and choose to stay behind on the sand, which confuses the rest who don't realise they can literally walk home.

I have always envisioned the harvesters as the hot, dusty equivalent of crab fishing. You might die out there but if you make it home your cut is a years wages for ordinary shmucks.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Xealot posted:

It’s pretty weird how insane people imagine his politics or outlook to be. Dune (the book) is pretty explicit about how Paul becoming a messiah who inspires a jihad is a bad thing. I don’t see why the guy who turned Superman into a dour exploration of the ethics behind power would throw out this fairly central theme.

Frank Herbert is also waaaay more right wing fashy than snyder (even including 300, which I do think is at best irresponsibly fashy for the WoT era)

The stuff about gay people in God Emperor is genuinely some of the worst stuff I've read in a fiction book in terms of mask off author bigotry, it's at least lovecraft level.
And he's writing it around when his son had just come out. The dude was a gross prick

From what I've heard he just goes further off the deep end from there too

Also, people overstate how much the white saviour narrative is upended in dune.

book 2-4 makes it quite clear that Paul's mission is distorted out of his control by the superstitious Muslims (theyr confirmed to be sunni descendsants iirc) who genocide everyone because they are religious fundamentalists, he becomes a self sacrificing christ figure to try to stop it

by book 4 eventually his grandson becomes an omniscient homophobic worm god who rules the Muslims through superstitious awe

So the subsequent books make it seem like it was just riling up the superstitious natives which was the bad thing.

Basically dune 1 Herbert restrains himself so the weird stuff is only slightly visible (Jewish witches controlling humanity, Hard Places = Hard Men) and the plot seems better cause there's less of it

Oh man I just remembered how Paul's sister turns out

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

Frank Herbert is also waaaay more right wing fashy than snyder (even including 300, which I do think is at best irresponsibly fashy for the WoT era)

The stuff about gay people in God Emperor is genuinely some of the worst stuff I've read in a fiction book in terms of mask off author bigotry, it's at least lovecraft level.
And he's writing it around when his son had just come out. The dude was a gross prick

From what I've heard he just goes further off the deep end from there too

Also, people overstate how much the white saviour narrative is upended in dune.

book 2-4 makes it quite clear that Paul's mission is distorted out of his control by the superstitious Muslims (theyr confirmed to be sunni descendsants iirc) who genocide everyone because they are religious fundamentalists, he becomes a self sacrificing christ figure to try to stop it

by book 4 eventually his grandson becomes an omniscient homophobic worm god who rules the Muslims through superstitious awe

So the subsequent books make it seem like it was just riling up the superstitious natives which was the bad thing.

Basically dune 1 Herbert restrains himself so the weird stuff is only slightly visible (Jewish witches controlling humanity, Hard Places = Hard Men) and the plot seems better cause there's less of it

Oh man I just remembered how Paul's sister turns out

So many wrong thoughts in one post, wow! Calling Herbet a fascist is pretty lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Duncan is the homophobic one and Leto basically laughs at him for being outdated and uptight as I recall. Leto does then expound on strange and stupid ideas about homosexuality in a military context I think? But when I read it I did not get the impression that we were supposed to take that at face value. Leto's point of view is seriously compromised by being a butthurt incel worm

Sorry I've kind of forgotten how we handle talking about later book plot points re spoilers but Leto in God Emperor seems... pretty well known?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
heheh.

quote:

"Are these fanatics homosexual?"

She pounced.

"How'd you know?"

"A guess."

"What difference would it make?"

"Are they?"

"Yes."

McKie shuddered.

She was peremptory.

"Explain!"

"When Humans for any reason go terminal where survival of their species is concerned, it's relatively easy to push them the short step further into wanting to die."

"You speak from historical evidence?"

"Yes."

"Example."

"With rare exceptions, primitive Humans of the tribal eras reserved their homosexuals as the ultimate shock troops of desperation. They were the troops of last resort, sent into battle as berserkers who expected, who wanted, to die."

from the Dosadi Experiment. Frank had some Ideas.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Martman posted:

Duncan is the homophobic one and Leto basically laughs at him for being outdated and uptight as I recall. Leto does then expound on strange and stupid ideas about homosexuality in a military context I think? But when I read it I did not get the impression that we were supposed to take that at face value. Leto's point of view is seriously compromised by being a butthurt incel worm

Theyr both different kinds of homophobes, as well as that dude hating lesbians theres also a scene where Leto explains (maybe via Moneo) that his army is all female because male armies attack the civilian population because of homosexual behaviour within them, which he likens to homosexual bullying in all male schools

Theres no reason for either scene to be there except so we can hear some of Frank's Homophobic Theorys, it really stands out, even amongst other scifi from the time

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
no...another sci fi dude was a crank?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

uber_stoat posted:

heheh.

Yeah, fedaykin more like fe "gay" kin (tbf he never says this but I'm p sure that is what he was thinking)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Tankbuster posted:

no...another sci fi dude was a crank?

Herbert being a crank is nothing new. His beliefs weren't as insane as Card's, and he probably wasn't as vile as Clark is alleged to be, but still a conservative crank with bad views.

He also denied Iron Maiden rights to reference Dune in a song and did so in a particularly grumpy old man way.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

heheh.

"Have you heard the legend of the gayboy berserkers and smegma crazies? It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

DarkSol posted:

The Baron is a pederast who drugs his victims to have his way with them... and for all we know, Vince isn't. So, I'd say that the Barron is worse because of that.

Maybe he's not a pederast himself, but he is generally acknowledged to be a rapist

https://people.com/sports/vince-mcmahon-settles-with-ex-wwe-referee-who-accused-him-of-rape/

And has repeatedly enabled child molesters

https://prowrestling.net/site/2021/02/13/tom-cole-dead-at-age-50-key-accuser-in-the-wwe-wwf-ring-boy-scandal/

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

uber_stoat posted:

I was coming here to post that if I had to guess, I'd say that Herbert probably saw homosexuality as an aberration, but one that could be socially useful. And this pretty much confirms it. Thanks!

As far as I can remember, homosexuality is never depicted positively in Dune. Herbertb didn't envision a society where people could just be openly gay and live like everyone else, and probably considered it a sign of civilizational decay.

Perestroika posted:

Depends some on the particulars of spice harvesting, I'd think. It's clearly very dangerous work, but it's unclear whether it's particularly difficult/skilled work. If not, it'd be quite feasible to find scabs whenever necessary. And after all, it's still (space) feudalism. If the workers were to launch any sort of industrial action, it'd be considered perfectly acceptable for the current rulers of the place to retaliate with pretty much arbitrary levels of brutality. And they do have a uniquely powerful lever with being able to control the Arrakeens' access to water.
In Marxian thinking, it really doesn't matter whether the work is skilled or not--just that the workers are positioned at a choke point where they can shut down production. Yes, the siridar-baron has a free hand to kill and replace them all, but every day of production lost is a vast fortune.

I think kalel has the right of it--Herbert was extremely cynical and undemocratic in his assessment of humanity, and believed that any political system would become dominated by an aristocracy. The best we can hope for is that it's a Nietzschean aristocracy of people who are actually superior. Herbert could imagine genetically perfected computer-brain vagina wizards, but not communism.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Herbert is terrified of a superhuman aristocracy. When superhumans take over, you get the Fremen jihad and 3000 years of brutal repression under a worm god. He's not so keen on aristocracy in general. He doesn't paint the status quo at the beginning of Dune in any kind of positive light.

He's definitely a conservative dude who thinks all systems are fallible because humans are fallible, but painting him as a fascist misses that central to the Dune series is a critique the demagoguery and hero myths that underpin any fascist ideology.

Like the Fremen don't distort Paul's mission. Paul's mission is a selfish attempt to wrest control of the galaxy from the people who betrayed his family. It's simple dynastic conflict and revenge that he sells to the Fremen by cloaking it in an old myth and wrapping that myth around their ecological project. If anything, Paul distorts the Fremen project. They were relatively content with suborning the Guild and subverting the emperor's ecologist to create their secret gardens out in the desert when the Atreides show up asking about an alliance.

Paul doesn't walk into the desert because he's ashamed of the jihad. He walks into the desert because he can't bring himself to take the next step on the Golden Path and become the worm god that Leto II eventually becomes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Doesn't Paul walk into the desert because doing so will prevent the Fremen from collapsing in a civil war around whether a blind man can rule them?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Paul's also been wrestling from the moment of his first oracular vision with his own moral culpability in what he, as the Mahdi and Kwisatz Haderach, enables and encourages. He spends a huge chunk of the first book wanting to find a possible future that doesn't end in either the Fremen jihad or his own death. Or both. The "better," or at least less destructive, future may have only been possible if he just died, and he's terrified of that as well as wanting his revenge. He never gets away from the costs of his empire and what pursuing the Golden Path would actually mean, and just checks out because he can't handle it anymore, especially without Chani at his side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah i always saw Dune as kind of a deconstruction of "chosen one" fantasy stories, basically saying "if everyone starts saying that some young kid is 'the chosen one,' be very afraid."