Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cthulu Carl posted:

Or call whoever scheduled it at like 3 or 4 AM and tell them you have "Trains leaving both stations"

The only time I've had that questioned, they said "Wait, what is that supposed to mea- Ooooohhhhhh... You feel better man"

Wife is now traveling the week after that (which means she is back the same day her mom and grandmother are showing up and I will need to be out of my mind drunk for that weekend...). l did the up and down drive to this city when I was buying the house and can handle it, so no issues there. I also wake up at 3AM or earlier during the week so my timing is not really impacted. Now it just sucks I need to drive a crazy amount in a day to be brushed off by executives that want me to stop pointing out the massive gaps in their processes. Maybe with the massive fuckup hanging over all of their heads they'll listen to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Lazyfire posted:

Maybe with the massive fuckup hanging over all of their heads they'll listen to me.

Counterpoint: They're executives.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
They don't want to hear about how they're wrong, they want to know how you're going to make them look good when you fix it and they take the credit.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The lady on our team was telling us that last week her husband told his boss that he needed to leave at 3:30 so he could pick up their daughter from camp and that if he still had any paperwork left, he'd come back to finish it after. The VP of the company hear this and went off on her husband about how "It's not my loving problem you can't plan - you stay until your shift is over."

He finished his poo poo and left at 3:30.

Also he didn't have to pick up his daughter. He was going to a job interview, LOL.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hell yeah

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
How many of y'all are working at places with like <500 people? Any time I work in a place/ business unit with less than 1000 people it's all hosed up by big personalities.

Coincidentally, I'm a big personality too so I really gently caress poo poo up in those environs.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 5, 2023

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

How many of y'all are working at places with like <500 people? Any time I work in a place/ business unit with less than 1000 people is all hosed up by big personalities.

Coincidentally, I'm a big personality too so I really gently caress poo poo up in those environs.

Big personality? You mean assholes?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

ben shapino posted:

Big personality? You mean assholes?

Did I stutter?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Orvin posted:

Today we had a new employee in the department. So at our weekly team meeting one of the managers wanted to go around and have everyone introduce themselves, and to make it somewhat more interesting, asked people to give a thing they need out about. That’s no big deal. There was all kinds of random general stuff, Reality TV, Superheroes, Star Wars, LEGO, Carpentry, their kids, etc.

I once worked at a training company that hired people just out of university, everyone was really sociable, there was a hefty budget for drinks out of work, and it had a nice genuine 'work hard, play hard' vibe going on, everyone was really supportive of each other and friendly. We got a new hire in and did a similar 'get to know you' thing and when we asked this guy what he did for fun he just straight up said "Jesus". Anyway long story short he ended up refusing to speak to any of his colleagues because everyone was in their 20s and banging each other out of wedlock and getting drunk after work and that made us all sinners and he wouldn't speak with sinners. I think he was actually passable at his job, and quite charming with the people he trained; never heard of a case where he refused to do his job because a customer was a sinner or whatever anyway.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cthulu Carl posted:

"It's not my loving problem you can't plan - you stay until your shift is over."

Lol nice 'Guess my shift is over then byeeee!!!'

I was up until midnight on Monday getting overdue poo poo done and nearly just gave up.

Suddenly today there was almost no dumb poo poo and a whole bunch of long time initiatives all started falling into place. Two desperately needed fundraising plans just got approval from industry partners. Got a few grants approved. New volunteers are offering to help us out and I left before I hit 8 hours. Tomorrow I'm onboarding a new staff member who's going to basically singlehandedly save an entire program.

It almost feels like I'm in a good mental space?

What I'm saying is something terrible is about to happen.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 6, 2023

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
We bought an assembly from a vendor a while ago with the intent to modify it to fit an upcoming project. Once we discussed the upcoming project with the vendor, they determined that it'd be more work to modify that assembly vs selling us a new one. So we bought a new one. Today we had them fly out to install one of their systems onto the assembly instead of having them do that when they built the assembly despite us knowing we needed the system. Since we haven't modified the assembly at all and don't have any of the other vendors' components/systems, they literally just replaced a few of their components, screwed on another bracket and control box, and left a bunch of unconnected wiring. All the wiring they left is to existing components/systems, so we'll* have to modify it when the new ones for the project come.
*me, it's me

While they were in today, they gave a presentation on how what they just installed is changing completely, new components, new systems, all new. Also they might be becoming another competitor to what we're doing.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Lol. Reminded me that my old boss used to ask this one same question at the end of every interview. He’d tell this looong shaggy dog story about things going wrong at work and all reasonable attempts to fix it failing and it’s a technical and professional nightmare with no good answer and right when the interviewee is ready for the “what do you do to handle it” question, he instead ends it with “you fix it and your team goes to the bar to celebrate - so what do you order?”

Always got a laugh and lightened the mood so you could have a few genuine moments with the person’s real personality showing through.

My boss leaves and I get promoted and soon it’s my first time running an interview. I have to keep the tradition alive, so I ask the shaggy dog question. “… so what do you order?” I finish with a big smile on my face. His face falls and he says “oh, I uh don’t drink. I’m sober. 10 years now. There was an accident and… well. She uh, she didn’t … I’m I uh guess I order a water. Do i have to drink alcohol to work here?”

First and last time I asked the question.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lmao. Sometimes you don't just step into the turd, you fall face first into it

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Yikes. You could rephrase the question to say that you go out to dinner to celebrate and they get to choose the cuisine?

Lord Rupert
Dec 28, 2007

Neither seen, nor heard
We had iteration planning today, and our PM wanted to talk about upcoming features, lame but okay. They eventually pulled up one of ours for ‘VPN rearchitecture’ and asked us to talk though it and the likelihood of getting it done.

Three of us had three different ideas on what it was about, lotta VPN poo poo these days. So I called out the one line that was in the notes, and said this must be why it’s about. But, nope, that’s just from the feature they always copy/paste from, and this one is really and truly empty and not filled out at all.

Meanwhile us lowly individual contributors have the distinct pleasure of another three months of management micromanaging our iterations because “we’re not good enough at writing descriptions and acceptance criteria for our cards”.

It was a day riddled with irritants like that, compounded with be woken up after 1 a.m. with some jumbo fireworks just down the block.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What song would you sing at karaoke?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

peanut posted:

What song would you sing at karaoke?

4’33”

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i dont work with motherfuckers who ask the shaggy dog question

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

MonkeyHate posted:

Lol. Reminded me that my old boss used to ask this one same question at the end of every interview. He’d tell this looong shaggy dog story about things going wrong at work and all reasonable attempts to fix it failing and it’s a technical and professional nightmare with no good answer and right when the interviewee is ready for the “what do you do to handle it” question, he instead ends it with “you fix it and your team goes to the bar to celebrate - so what do you order?”

Always got a laugh and lightened the mood so you could have a few genuine moments with the person’s real personality showing through.

My boss leaves and I get promoted and soon it’s my first time running an interview. I have to keep the tradition alive, so I ask the shaggy dog question. “… so what do you order?” I finish with a big smile on my face. His face falls and he says “oh, I uh don’t drink. I’m sober. 10 years now. There was an accident and… well. She uh, she didn’t … I’m I uh guess I order a water. Do i have to drink alcohol to work here?”

First and last time I asked the question.

Lmfao that is brutal

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

20 Blunts posted:

i dont work with motherfuckers who ask the shaggy dog question

Yeah, this is cute and all but it also seems like someone who doesn't respect my time as an interviewee. You can have a long question or a weird question but not both. I just googled "Weird Interview Questions" the first one is "How many basketballs fit on a bus?" If they posed it as "...and if you don't know, how would you find out?" then I would probably tolerate that since they're trying to see how I think and aren't just bloviating.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

If the shaggy dog interview question was "Here is the office dog. Would you like to pet him?" I would take that job

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Biplane posted:

Lmfao that is brutal

This one is great bc it's a good lesson in why trying to copy the previous leader's actions is a bad call. You're a different leader, and it's a different time. Sure learn from your mentors but don't like, copy their patter word-for-word. Because chances are you can't pull it off like they did. You gotta come up with your own things!

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 6, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I had an interview that went well enough and right at the end one of the interviews said "ya know, this is on our list of optional questions and I've never asked it, so hell why not: describe the steps of making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" which is one of those dumb programming questions I've known about since I was a kid.

I think the fact that I added steps for washing the knife is what sealed the deal on getting that job.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I try to never ask questions that could make someone uncomfortable and yet I still get as a response to "tell me about a difficult problem at work and how you resolved it" with a story about finding a coworker's suicide and covering up the body so others couldnt see it until the medics arrived.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 6, 2023

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah, this is cute and all but it also seems like someone who doesn't respect my time as an interviewee.

Look buddy if you want to be treated with respect you’re interviewing at the wrong company.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When I was interviewed for 7-Eleven, I was asked questions that I thought were inappropriate and irrelevant, but they turned out not to be.

My boss: Do you drink?
Me: Are you allowed to ask that question in an interview?
Boss: Uh, well... I guess what I mean is, are you going to show up to work drunk?
Me: No.
Boss: Okay. Do you smoke? I mean, marijuana, specifically?
Me: Not when I'm at work.
Boss: Okay. It's been a problem.

Work-anecdote:

I used to do flagging, you know, where you stand on a freeway all day with a SLOW/STOP sign while angry impatient people almost run my rear end over as they try to "beat" me turning my fuckin sign around

Anyway, one day, it was one of these days where we showed up to work at 3 AM and had to work until 7 PM. A real brutal kind of day. I was given a partner, and we were placed at our posts, and we did our thing. Well, it was also Winter, and my coworker was this piece of poo poo who constantly complained about how his bitch girlfriend keeps calling the cops claiming he hits her even though he's the one with all the bruises, etc. etc. anyway, so since it's early and it's Winter, there's not a lot of traffic, so occasionally I let my partner go sit in my car while it idles so he can get warm. I didn't need to do this myself that day, I was warm enough.

So anyway, the day ends, finally -- Piece of poo poo partner ended up actually just walking away from the job about an hour before it was over -- and I go to my car, and I discover there are like fifteen fuckin empty beer cans on the passenger floor.

credburn fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 6, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Barudak posted:

I try to never ask questions that could make someone uncomfortable and yet I still get as a response to "tell me about a difficult problem at work and how you resolved it" with a story about finding a coworker's suicide and covering up the body so others couldnt see it until the medics arrived.

Really not helping yourself get away from that Yakuza theory there buddy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I once asked a candidate about a time they’ve gone above and beyond to help someone and they told me about the time their friend got their drink spiked and they had to look after them and then fight off the dude who supposedly did it and then the police and an ambulance got involved, it was a whole thing

Nothing as wild as a suicide coverup though

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

The man who sold too much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Those people have over-sharing problems.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Examples of going above and beyond: occasionally willing to work overtime at 2.5x

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I’m amazed at how honest people were when I would interview them. I was interviewing people for factory work and we would hire basically anyone if they didn’t say something insane. But some did.

A few said they left their last job because their boss didn’t like them. I would ask why and they would tell me because they were late a lot or something else that told me I probably wouldn’t like them either.. One said his boss didn’t like him because the boss had caught him stealing. I thought I misheard and asked if he meant the boss thought he was stealing. But no he was actually stealing and his boss had sent him to another shift because of it.

One guy brought his dad to the interview for “support.” And insisted on him actually sitting in on the interview.

One guy was footsteps from a job when he decided to tell me at the door that our secretary had a great rear end. She was our QA manager (though he wasn’t wrong and she thought it was hilarious when I told her later.)

A former employee who I knew very well tried to come back and say he was someone else with a new name and everything. I said I knew who he was (he was fired for sexually harassing someone, by me) and he stuck to his guns. My man there’s not that many 6’3 Hispanic guys with red hair around here.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Barudak posted:

I have some hosed up work stories but there are just some work stories that only get told till well after I've been hired.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Long time ago:

"What is your greatest weakness?"

"Sometimes I get so angry I just have to slap the customer"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I don’t interview people in my current role but sometimes I miss it just for the stories it generates afterwards.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

6’3 Hispanic guys with red hair around here.

Did you work with Louis CK?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Killingyouguy! posted:

I was given a task because of my particular expertise on a topic.

I laid out my plans for said task. Boss didn't like part of it, so suddenly this was not my task, it was the teams task. Everyone on a zoom call so we can do this task "together".

Me: yeah I laid this out this way because reasons a, b, and c, based on my expertise
Boss: well I think d so we're doing d.

Cool great, great teamwork, thanks

Had my weekly one on one with Boss today.
"I know we had a disagreement yesterday, but disagreements are part of life, and certainly part of work, was there anything more you wanted to discuss about that?"
"well, you seem to have made the decision, so,"
"yep! OK moving on,"

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

The best (craziest) cover letter I ever got for an opening started off, word for word (I have saved it for over 5 years):

quote:

I have lived for 18 years with a woman who had colitis and has gone through 10 or so surgeries (lost count) and now has Crohns. Been there and understand it. Progressive and diversified WHAT with proved effectiveness in project/contract management, contract negotiations, business development, litigation and creative solution identification and implementation.

i didn't interview the guy but i kind of wish i had

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I got a cover letter with poetry in it once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah, this is cute and all but it also seems like someone who doesn't respect my time as an interviewee.

I mean yes I would hate the interviewer for doing this to me and dread working with them because I'm sure it's just one of many 'quirks' they think lightens things up but instead creates a whole new set of social pressures.

There's nothing worse than having to put out the emotional energy to pretend to enjoy really bad comedy, to fit into the crowd and avoid angering the boss. Getting tired just thinking about it.