Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

Reporting from the trenches in the war against the Tree of Heaven in my yard:

Do you have spotted lanternfly near you? Because they prefer that tree so it's a great thing to have to use systemic insecticide and poison the absolute poo poo out of this terrible terrible invasive species. We cut them down and leave one or two as "trap trees".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Karenina posted:

you guys have any gardening shoes you prefer? i've just been wearing sneakers i don't care about, but i'm considering getting something more waterproof.

crocs? Tevas (you can get new classic-style Tevas very cheap now)?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Muck boots. They solve all the problems but they loving suck to wear in this heat.

Everyone I know with a pickup has a pair in the passenger rear floorboard.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Karenina posted:

you guys have any gardening shoes you prefer? i've just been wearing sneakers i don't care about, but i'm considering getting something more waterproof.
I have some of these and they are kinda spendy but super comfy with a cork insole like birkenstocks. Great for slipping on to take the dog out.
https://gardenclogs.com/collections/nora

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Motronic posted:

Do you have spotted lanternfly near you? Because they prefer that tree so it's a great thing to have to use systemic insecticide and poison the absolute poo poo out of this terrible terrible invasive species. We cut them down and leave one or two as "trap trees".
I’ve been checking but haven’t seen any yet. I’m not doing any herbicide until September, and frankly I’m afraid to cut back the stump shoots until I have herbicide ready for the fresh cuts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Neon Noodle posted:

I’ve been checking but haven’t seen any yet. I’m not doing any herbicide until September, and frankly I’m afraid to cut back the stump shoots until I have herbicide ready for the fresh cuts.

I get where you're going with the herbicide, but those of us in the thick of this are injecting pesticides into these things - stuff that doesn't kill the trees but kills the SLF feeding on them. I'm glad you're not dealing with that and hopefully we kill them all before they get to you and you can just deal with the plant side of this invasive species pair.

Reminding everyone here, if you see SLF make sure you know where to report it and please do so.

This is ours: https://www.agriculture.pa.gov/Plants_Land_Water/PlantIndustry/Entomology/spotted_lanternfly/Pages/default.aspx Your state/ag extension has something similar if you're at risk.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have some of these and they are kinda spendy but super comfy with a cork insole like birkenstocks. Great for slipping on to take the dog out.
https://gardenclogs.com/collections/nora

Aldi has mega cheap versions of these, but none large enough for me. A shame.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Karenina posted:

Crocs or lovely sketchers slipons.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I let a European beech (Fagus sylvatica) prebonsai get sun scorched in a dish of water yesterday, and now all of the leaves are, for the most part, completely toasted

Will it push new leaves this year? Plant seems to be alive, I’m sure at least a few of the branches are toast but I’d hate to lose the whole thing

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I might have just bought these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MYQAPGC make me smile when I put them on, and when I see them in the hall.

From a genuine company, not an AliBaba dropship. https://www.evercreatures.co.uk/

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I didn't look at the weather and watered my plants in the morning only to come home after work to torrential rain. The pots/soil drains well so I'm not too worried about the moisture but I had also fertilized. Should I re-fertilize and adjust the schedule or is there no real benefit and I should just stick to the original weekly schedule.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

I let a European beech (Fagus sylvatica) prebonsai get sun scorched in a dish of water yesterday, and now all of the leaves are, for the most part, completely toasted

Will it push new leaves this year? Plant seems to be alive, I’m sure at least a few of the branches are toast but I’d hate to lose the whole thing
Only time will tell. I don’t know anything about bonsai, but with a real tree I would consider pruning it back so there is less top for the potentially stressed roots to support.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The fig tree is now out producing the ability of the birds to eat them, and there are so so so many more figs on the way.

I need to find a good preserves recipe...

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shifty Pony posted:

The fig tree is now out producing the ability of the birds to eat them, and there are so so so many more figs on the way.

Do you know which kind of figs they are? Or at least if they're purple or green?

And do you prefer to taste the fruit in your preserves/jam or do you want fruit-tinted sugar paste?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Brown turkey figs. I much prefer to taste the fruit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Only time will tell. I don’t know anything about bonsai, but with a real tree I would consider pruning it back so there is less top for the potentially stressed roots to support.

It’s not in a bonsai pot (yet), just a regular meter tall beech in a nursery pot (I think it’s a #7?)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I left my mustard greens to go to flower/seed, but the aphids had a different idea. I’ve never seen so many in one place. They had completely covered the flowers and would wiggle in unison like an evil brass band full of trombonists.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Shifty Pony posted:

Our figs never ripened last year, so we made this and it was very good with ricotta on toast
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/aug/27/how-to-turn-unripe-figs-into-a-condiment-for-cheese-recipe-zero-waste-cooking

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Jhet posted:

I left my mustard greens to go to flower/seed, but the aphids had a different idea. I’ve never seen so many in one place. They had completely covered the flowers and would wiggle in unison like an evil brass band full of trombonists.

Amazing description

Oh hey, would everyone like to see what a cucumber looks like if it isn't fully pollinated?

It's really funny how that chin grew out like a Habsburg king's.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Looks more like a water issue in my opinion.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Could be, I've had to go to twice a day watering with the drought and heat, but there were no seeds in the smaller part too.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Either way, the one on the left looks about perfect for a pickling cuke. I hate growing them but they are drat tasty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Oh yes I am very excited for another couple of those pickling ones to be ready in a day or so. I've got Plans.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
These two pots are both Hurt Berry super-hot peppers, no idea why one of them decided to hulk out and grow like 4 feet tall.

"What is root bound? My home planet needs me."

I'm basically just growing it hydroponic at this point and keep filling the lower water dish like every day.

I think Neem oil managed to keep the thrips/aphids off the plant I posted earlier because it seems to be doing well and is covered in crazy looking peppers now.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That is a downright bizarre superhot plant. Jhet has done a lot more with them recently than I have so maybe would have more insight.

That's a fuckin' weird plant, dude.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

That is a downright bizarre superhot plant. Jhet has done a lot more with them recently than I have so maybe would have more insight.

That's a fuckin' weird plant, dude.

Yeah, it looks sort of wrong. Makes me wonder if it was a random seed that accidentally crossed with something else? It has a habit closer to a C. annuum than a C. chinense, but the leaves look pretty close to correct for it. The fruit looks correct too, so I'd just be happy it's producing and consider that maybe it went through a spell without getting enough light and decided to use the good nutrients to get super leggy. The one on the left is looking super happy and what I'd expect. My C. chinense aren't usually taller than 2.5-3', and based on your railing you're past that already. I'd just give it another tie up support on the top of the railing and keep it going. Hot chile peppers will be happy to completely fill their space with roots and as long as you keep watering it then it'll be happy. That should be enough space, but at the end of the season you'll be able to tip it out and there will be a mass of roots in a circle at the bottom like nothing else.

Chariot
Aug 24, 2010
Maybe sprout some cuttings off it and see if they also hulk out?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jhet posted:

:perfect:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Jhet posted:

maybe it went through a spell without getting enough light and decided to use the good nutrients to get super leggy.

This is most likely the culprit, there was also a sulfur cosmos flower in that pot that I eventually cut out after the first month or so of it being outdoors. I was fertilizing pretty heavily and it was not getting full sun.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Jhet posted:

Makes me wonder if it was a random seed that accidentally crossed with something else? It has a habit closer to a C. annuum than a C. chinense, but the leaves look pretty close to correct for it.
If it's a Hurt Berry, then it's literally a C. chinense/C. annuum cross (reaper x jigsaw).

C. baccatum peppers sometimes like getting kinda big and sparse like that too. Like habs are the C. chinense I've grown the most, and then tend to prefer growing bushy, and I seem to have the most luck with them if I group them with themselves or sometimes I checkerboard them in a bed alternating with basil or something, so the plants are giving each other a little shade. The C. annuum peppers I've grown the most are Thai birds, and they're usually very upright and a little less bushy than habs...but I've also had some that just want to sprawl. Every C. baccatum I've grown (got some mad hatters this season but aji amarillos are the ones I've grown the most) gets that weird leggy look like you should've pruned 'em back a little.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That's a trip. I grew super hots for years and years and they were all bushy and did well with a little shade even when they liked the heat. Neat!

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Jhet posted:

I did the same thing but without the aphids and as a result I learned how to winnow. The two plants I left to seed gave me about 1/3 cup of mustard seeds after all those I lost trying to separate the seeds from the pods. I'm going to save some to plant next year and make mustard out of the rest.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

rojay posted:

I did the same thing but without the aphids and as a result I learned how to winnow. The two plants I left to seed gave me about 1/3 cup of mustard seeds after all those I lost trying to separate the seeds from the pods. I'm going to save some to plant next year and make mustard out of the rest.

Yeah, the aphids took out my kale as well. I just went scorched earth on the bed and tore most of it out. They haven't touched the collards or perilla, but the collards are getting eaten by flying creatures (the cabbage white butterfly), and I'm all out of BT so I guess they get to eat the collards until I go pick some up. I swear the only thing I ever end up getting to eat are peas, tomatoes, and super hot peppers. The only thing the rest of my family will eat regularly is the peas.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jhet posted:

Yeah, the aphids took out my kale as well. I just went scorched earth on the bed and tore most of it out. They haven't touched the collards or perilla, but the collards are getting eaten by flying creatures (the cabbage white butterfly), and I'm all out of BT so I guess they get to eat the collards until I go pick some up. I swear the only thing I ever end up getting to eat are peas, tomatoes, and super hot peppers. The only thing the rest of my family will eat regularly is the peas.

Ha, I was thinking about that this week. I want to plant some bok choy for a fall crop but I know cabbage worms and aphids will feast. Brassicas never make it for me.

I'm happy my tomatoes, peppers, bush beans and asparagus are reliable. Strawberries seem to be a solid addition.

Squash it depends on the year. Carrots are prolific but small. Beets rarely grow to size. TBD on watermelons.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

Ha, I was thinking about that this week. I want to plant some bok choy for a fall crop but I know cabbage worms and aphids will feast. Brassicas never make it for me.

I'm happy my tomatoes, peppers, bush beans and asparagus are reliable. Strawberries seem to be a solid addition.

Squash it depends on the year. Carrots are prolific but small. Beets rarely grow to size. TBD on watermelons.

I enjoy the peppers and tomatoes of course, but it really would be nice to grow something else too in this garden/climate. Brassicas do grow well here and winter really well, but the aphids have been brutal in my part of the PNW this year. They need more predators in my yard, but I only notice some parasitic wasps and ground beetles. Can’t get any ladybugs to move in, so I’m mostly out of luck.

At least the snails and slugs didn’t massacre anything this year.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
This is my first time growing determinate tomatoes so I have a question. Picked up this plant early in March. It fruited 2 tomatos and the. Really started to struggle. In the time the temps are easily 110 every day and none of my plants are actually being pollinated peppers or tomato. Anyway via consistent watering and sun shade the determinate has got a bunch of new growth. Including flowers (which obviously aren't producing because of the temps). My question is how do I know when the plant is done? It's been months since the first fruits but obviously it's still growing and trying to produce fruits. Will it continue to try until it's successful or is it just going to die and I should go ahead and pull it? Not a whole lot of info on the internet.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sterster posted:

This is my first time growing determinate tomatoes so I have a question. Picked up this plant early in March. It fruited 2 tomatos and the. Really started to struggle. In the time the temps are easily 110 every day and none of my plants are actually being pollinated peppers or tomato. Anyway via consistent watering and sun shade the determinate has got a bunch of new growth. Including flowers (which obviously aren't producing because of the temps). My question is how do I know when the plant is done? It's been months since the first fruits but obviously it's still growing and trying to produce fruits. Will it continue to try until it's successful or is it just going to die and I should go ahead and pull it? Not a whole lot of info on the internet.

depends on the plant really, they tend to do about 2 fruit "cycles" before giving up the ghost in my experience. it'll just stop making flowers when its done. but it's early enough in the year you could tear it out and put another one in and probably get better production if it's going sluggish.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
A couple of weeks ago, the scumbag who owns the house next door to mine evicted the family that lived there so he could sell the place. That sucks, but while the place is empty I’d like to go nuclear on some weeds between my privacy fence and the chain-link next door. What’s this glyphosate paint on a stump method I’ve been hearing about? I got some concentrate yesterday but want to be extremely careful applying it, because we otherwise have a very healthy and robust, nearly entirely organic garden.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Lawnie posted:

A couple of weeks ago, the scumbag who owns the house next door to mine evicted the family that lived there so he could sell the place. That sucks, but while the place is empty I’d like to go nuclear on some weeds between my privacy fence and the chain-link next door. What’s this glyphosate paint on a stump method I’ve been hearing about? I got some concentrate yesterday but want to be extremely careful applying it, because we otherwise have a very healthy and robust, nearly entirely organic garden.

Cut the tree down, spray on concentrated glyphosate:
https://youtu.be/QdKvkeTLyIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s very important to apply it ASAP to the cut stump. Like with 30 seconds to a minute after cutting.

Also please post your inevitable Tree Law fiasco when your neighbor finds out you’ve removed and poisoned his trees.