Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We cautiously skipped the nap yesterday and while there were no meltdowns, by the end of the day she was running from room to room babbling to herself and fell asleep within 20 seconds of laying down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
We can't get our son to nap anymore at 2.5 so that's every weekend day for us. He gets progressively more crazed until bedtime and is asleep within minutes

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Our kid is at 27 months, and she doesn’t really nap any more. At least not most days. We still put her in her room for quiet time when we used to have naps scheduled, and she usually just stays in her bed and entertains herself, or gets up and looks through books. It may not be a nap, but she seems to enjoy it and still gets us a break in the middle of the day so complaints here.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

nesbit37 posted:

Our kid is at 27 months, and she doesn’t really nap any more. At least not most days. We still put her in her room for quiet time when we used to have naps scheduled, and she usually just stays in her bed and entertains herself, or gets up and looks through books. It may not be a nap, but she seems to enjoy it and still gets us a break in the middle of the day so complaints here.

this is what we do as well with a 3 year old. two hours in his room, sometimes he sleeps, usually he plays with his toys.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mine stopped napping shortly after 2. She’ll still fall asleep in the car sometimes though, and then good luck getting her to sleep at night. 😬

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I am feeling like I hit the jackpot. My 2.5 year old naps for like 45 minutes at daycare and 2 hours for us on the weekends. I am sure that will change any day now!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We kept the kids out late last night to see fireworks. They're older now and deal with tiredness better, and they actually sleep in when they stay up too late which is nice.

But not today. Nope. Today, the person who owns the condemned house behind us finally decided to start demolition. So at 7AM, I wake up to the sounds of giant machinery tearing down a house. gently caress. Guess whose kids aren't having a great morning so far because they stayed up late and didn't get to sleep in?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Our first kid stopped napping at 2. Our second kid will be 5 in a month and still loves hours long naps after lunch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sometime over the weekend ours skipped a nap for the first time in months and months and I guess that broke the seal; Monday she wouldn't nap at all :ohdear:

She's also started waking up at like 6am, probably gonna instruct daycare to switch her from 2hrs down to 45min-1

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
What’s a nap?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm beginning to suspect our daughter might need glasses. For like the fourth time in as many months she's walked head first into a pole at the preschool playground. Am surprised she didn't dent the pole with her hard noggin.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

My almost-3-year-old steadfastly refuses to call a burp a burp, and proudly announces "I did a fart in my mouth"

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Mine somehow did skip her nap today coincidentally but now she's screaming that she wants to go to sleep at ... 5:30pm :(

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Jumpsuit posted:

My almost-3-year-old steadfastly refuses to call a burp a burp, and proudly announces "I did a fart in my mouth"

That's awesome.

Our daughter was sitting on the couch next to me and turns to say I can smell you from over here. I've trained her well.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wanted to see people's opinions on a technology/presence question.

If your kid were 3 and solidly asleep and you had a remote monitor installed (so video on your phone, motion alerts) would you be comfortable taking a walk? Just around the neighborhood, not more than 10 minutes stroll away.

We always used to take a walk together in the evening and we really are missing being able to do that together.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My son also skipped a nap today and now he's screaming at the top of his lungs in the bath

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

Wanted to see people's opinions on a technology/presence question.

If your kid were 3 and solidly asleep and you had a remote monitor installed (so video on your phone, motion alerts) would you be comfortable taking a walk? Just around the neighborhood, not more than 10 minutes stroll away.

We always used to take a walk together in the evening and we really are missing being able to do that together.

Nope.
Just one off the top of my head example...would the kid know what to do in case of emergency (fire in the house, something else).

This is a hard no from me, and I'm a pretty free range parent.

When my kiddo was in the 3+ range we actually had one of his daycare teachers come once a week for an hour so we could walk/bike/do something together. It was a nice break every week and we kept doing it right up until COVID.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Yeah I knew I wasn't thinking it through.

There's a girl who lives half a block away who babysits so having her come over and hang for an hour would probably work really well...

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

When my kid misses a nap I'm pretty much guaranteed to have a nightmarishly bad night of biblical proportions

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
My kid is 3.5 and naps perfectly at school / not at all at home. The home part isnt bad because she's out like a light at a decent time although we basically can't do anything outdoors once she starts melting down around 5-6pm. On weekdays she typically falls asleep around 930-10pm and it's horrendous. We ask them to shorten / eliminate the nap but it only sometimes gets through.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Jumpsuit posted:

this is cute.

It's interesting to hear the variations on day naps with these little folks from the thread. It's truly a tapestry of diversity when it comes to that 2-3 yr old phase and giving in to beautiful beautiful sleep. It's like...parenting just means, you cannot expect or hope for any sleep again, you can just appreciate it when it comes and do you even need that gray-matter anyways?

Our eldest takes a 3 hr nap in the afternoon and sleeps through the night starting at 8:30 and finishing by 6. He's pretty easy, except for the whole "my personality includes toddler."

He naps and sleeps through the night -- a true victory.

His baby brother is 9 months and refuses to sleep for more than at most a two hour stretch through the night, so we're still going through that sleepless night phase of frequent wake-ups and nursing and cuddles and sleeping and waking and nursing and cuddles and sleep and -- hey it's 6 and the toddler is screaming "PA-PAAAH," from across the hall? Two short 40min-1hr. during the day for that little one, one at 10 and another at 4. What's up with that? The tapestry of humanity?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

My 4.5yo still takes naps. He skips them often but then he’s a mess in the afternoon. He mostly refuses to nap for mom because FOMO but I’m boring enough he naps for me. His new camp/preschool is all outdoors and they don’t even try to do naps so we will see how he goes.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's the timeless trap that helps our species continue to reproduce: an easy sleeping elder kid followed by the difficult sleeping younger kid

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

hallo spacedog posted:

It's the timeless trap that helps our species continue to reproduce: an easy sleeping elder kid followed by the difficult sleeping younger kid

Wouldn't this halt reproduction at 2? What does a third contribute toward this dynamic? :aaa:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

A Bad King posted:

Wouldn't this halt reproduction at 2? What does a third contribute toward this dynamic? :aaa:

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

From what I've observed, the third one is either the chillest one, or the devil incarnate. Nothing in between.

e:f;b.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nachos posted:

My kid is 3.5 and naps perfectly at school / not at all at home. The home part isnt bad because she's out like a light at a decent time although we basically can't do anything outdoors once she starts melting down around 5-6pm. On weekdays she typically falls asleep around 930-10pm and it's horrendous. We ask them to shorten / eliminate the nap but it only sometimes gets through.

It's wild.

My 3.5 doesn't nap, and hasn't napped for almost a year. He'll have the occasional one if he's in the car or at school and particularly tired from a busy day but it's not the norm. He's the only one in his class that doesn't nap.

Last time I picked him up from school around nap time, he was sitting there by himself playing with Legos while surrounded by his entire class passed out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The best thing I can find is to sit him next to me and turn on Star Trek. Perfect blend of fascinating and boring to get him to doze off.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Edit wrong thread

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Jumpsuit posted:

when my brother was a little kid he called farts "poopy burps"

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
5 yo sat on the toilet, farted, "That's my poop alarm!" :haw:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

hallo spacedog posted:

I simply choose to only have the one kid that sleeps good and doesn’t ruin the good thing I have with him.

(I’ll get back to this in 2 years and see where I’m at)

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Skeezy posted:

I simply choose to only have the one kid that sleeps good and doesn’t ruin the good thing I have with him.

(I’ll get back to this in 2 years and see where I’m at)

I only have one also but she sucks at sleeping so it skipped us

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

i was out of town for a few days and apparently my kiddo didn't nap the whole time I was gone, whoops

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

What's up with Peppa Pig Tales, the voices are all wrong and the charm is severely lacking

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Welp. Time to vent.

My boyfriend and I are on our first vacation ever a plane ride away. Just four days to celebrate our anniversary and see a couple of our favorite bands. Kiddo’s mom was asked months ago if she would take her for these days and was reminded as it approached. (My boyfriend told me that it is part of their custody agreement that in the cases he can ask and she can refuse, so she obviously accepted) Well this morning he was on his phone texting for a long time looking chagrined.

Turns out she has forgotten she has plans to be out of town this weekend and dealt with this by going off on my boyfriend for “leaving his kid” and informing him that she would be bringing kiddo with her meaning that bf will not see his son until Monday, when originally he was supposed to pick him up on Saturday when we get back.

This is already the longest he’s been away from his kid in a long time, so he is understandably pretty upset. And no it is NOT part of their custody agreement for her to just say “I’m keeping your child for the weekend, deal with it.” He obviously does not want to get lawyers/police involved, but holy poo poo I am livid for him. If we were like going all over god’s green earth and dumping the kid on her constantly that would be one thing, but this is literally the first time in a calendar year.

So anyway, now I officially understand why he is so aggravated at her all the time because apparently she consistently uses their son as a pawn to hurt him.

I’m baffled at the idea of saying “how dare you make me have my child with me for four days…so to get back at you I will keep him from you for two additional days.” The actual gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Getting an answer out of my daughter is like pulling teeth

Me: are you hungry?
Her: neither of us kids have had breakfast yet
Me: that's why I'm asking. Are you hungry?
Her: (silence)
Me: ...are you hungry?
Her: (yelling) YES I'M HUNGRY
Me: please don't yell at me. What do you want?
Me: You know what we have: bagels, cereal, yogurt...
Her: Yogurt.
Me: Alright.
Her: (a minute later) NO, BAGEL
Me: Not toasted?
Her: Not toasted.
Me: Cream cheese, butter? Plain?
Me: okay, I'm making it plain
Her: (hollering angrily) NO, CREAM CHEESE

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Just left my kid off for 1 hr to visit the daycare she is starting 2x a week next week. Full of some crazy feelings right now. Hope they're ready for her honestly

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Today I learned that walking on tiptoes and speech delay are both signs of autism. My 2yo has both. Anyone have good resources for watching out for autism warning signs so I can get intervention if needed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Slaan posted:

Today I learned that walking on tiptoes and speech delay are both signs of autism. My 2yo has both. Anyone have good resources for watching out for autism warning signs so I can get intervention if needed?

Honestly I wouldn’t wait if you have the slightest suspicion—schedule an evaluation now. It depends where you are of course but it can take a long time to get one (it took us 6 months) and the sooner you start intervention the better the outcome. Even if it turns up nothing better safe than sorry.

We were extremely lucky and got our kiddo diagnosed with ASD at 18mo—he wasn’t able to start intensive services until right before he turned 2 (again because of wait lists) and a year later he’s still significantly behind his peers but doing MUCH better. If we had waited I think he’d be in a much worse spot.