Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

This fight is extremely nerve wracking and exciting I literally do not know what’s gonna happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

How many times have people thought that Gojo was done here just for him to not be done? I'm not gonna count him out until the manga's over at this point.

this chapter touches on it a bit but it seems once you reach the top tiers of jujutsu power the only limit is your imagination, and gojo's had nothing to do for the past several weeks but sit and think, so I imagine he's going to pull out some wild new poo poo

I'm really curious how this fight is going to end. No way is Sukuna going down for good here, but if Gojo loses here I just don't see how it's feasible for anyone to stop him, or even mildly inconvenience him.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm really curious how this fight is going to end. No way is Sukuna going down for good here, but if Gojo loses here I just don't see how it's feasible for anyone to stop him, or even mildly inconvenience him.

One way or another, Gojo lives or dies, Mahoraja's gotta go because the Dharmachakra is just too goddamn strong.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I have no idea how Sukuna will be dealt with, but I think it's appropriate that in some way the final blow comes from Yuji. Could be fun to see Yuji get Sukuna inside again and take control once and forever.

Also, *what* would happen if Yuji ate the last Sukuna finger?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
sukuna’s spirit exists independently in all his fingers so he’d probably get possessed all over again, only it’d be ten times as annoying because now sukuna would be rooting for himself

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It would be absurdly narratively unsatisfying if Yuji wasn't the one to deal with him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestonJew posted:

this chapter touches on it a bit but it seems once you reach the top tiers of jujutsu power the only limit is your imagination, and gojo's had nothing to do for the past several weeks but sit and think, so I imagine he's going to pull out some wild new poo poo

Remember it was not several weeks for Gojo, as time does not flow in prison realm. He stated it felt quick but exhausting.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

mahoraga is practically a narrative device that feels like it's been set up for Gojo to take down. it would be immensely unsatisfying if Gojo doesn't push Sukuna farther than that. I don't doubt the next few chapters will have a few gotchas but I don't think Gojo's about to get dropped just like that

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

i mean we saw one of the other top touted characters in the series get absolutely jobbed like a loser, so I wouldn't be shocked if Gojo jobs

otoh he isn't a woman so gege might let him look slightly good

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

i see what you mean, but as far as shonen battle manga tropes go, that fight was meant to hype up Kenjaku as no one to gently caress around with, whereas this is the fight that we've been promised since the very beginning

We'll see though. I don't think Gojo will win, at least not alone, but I expect him to come up with something for Mahoraga

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

still kinda weird to me how basically only japanese people can do all this at scale

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

UnderFreddy posted:

i mean we saw one of the other top touted characters in the series get absolutely jobbed like a loser, so I wouldn't be shocked if Gojo jobs

otoh he isn't a woman so gege might let him look slightly good

Last I checked the woman fighters have been impressive even if they have died. Kenjaku outright stated he probably would have died if things had gone even slightly wrong, and him surviving the final attack was largely a lucky gamble.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked the woman fighters have been impressive even if they have died. Kenjaku outright stated he probably would have died if things had gone even slightly wrong, and him surviving the final attack was largely a lucky gamble.

there was no gamble, the characters aren't real people. everyone in bleach talked up Chad every chance they got and that didn't stop him from being the biggest jobber in shounen, people talking about how cool any given woman character is doesn't matter if they uniformly get their poo poo kicked in at every opportunity.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

gojo would be even better if he had huge baps

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I would've liked the Kenjaku fight more if she had manage to at least inflict *some* damage. But Kenjaku just coming back from a motherfucking black hole like it was nothing was just... yeah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think people would be less down if Hana did literally anything but be a plot device and victim. She was seemingly being set up and then nah.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Gojo has to do some lasting damage at least, so that everybody else can deal with Sukuna.

Though if Gege really wants to sell this fight as pitched and"either can win", they need to show more of Sukuna's perspective and thoughts, and it would be fun seeing him react to Gojo's bullshit for a change.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

The reaction trend to bloated endless shonen being these bangers that kind of stumble over themselves in the back half trying to satisfactorily wrap up is very weird to me. Let these fuckers breathe! Same issue as demon slayer here, I guess weekly format catching up again

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
demon slayer's weird pacing can mostly be explained by it not being a big hit before the anime so the editors most likely encouraged it to rush to the final arc to wrap up sooner than later, but then the anime was the biggest hit ever so the final arc became extremely drawn out because it was now so successful

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
For Demon Slayer, Gotoge had something happen to them that basically caused them to end it early and also not do much afterward.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

there was no gamble, the characters aren't real people. everyone in bleach talked up Chad every chance they got and that didn't stop him from being the biggest jobber in shounen, people talking about how cool any given woman character is doesn't matter if they uniformly get their poo poo kicked in at every opportunity.

Last I checked she did not get her poo poo kicked in and it was a pretty even fight. Maki also did well.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I think people would be less down if Hana did literally anything but be a plot device and victim. She was seemingly being set up and then nah.

probably a main character in some future prequel series

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Last I checked she did not get her poo poo kicked in and it was a pretty even fight. Maki also did well.

Yeah, you can always tell an even fight by one person walking away pretty much uninjured while the other is dead from being sliced in two. It's like how Ivan Drago and Apollo Creed had to go to the judges.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
She put up a cool fight, she didn’t get completely chumped like my boy Ryu

What a waste of such a beautiful pompadour

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I'd wager a lot of people look at how Tsukumo lost and the plot completely forgot about anything it wanted to hint at, or hype up, prior or during that loss as being inconsequential. I know I do. Who cares if she put up a good fight, Kenjaku is fully healed by all appearances and once again the only threat to him is Satoru Gojo. The only change to the status quo that came from her defeat and death is that Kenjaku won and assimilated Tengen. He has no lasting injury, he has no fear of the Yuuta as the only remaining special grade possibly getting one up on him like Tsukumo "potentially" did. He doesn't even regard her, she never mattered just like liquid metal chick Sukuna punked never mattered in an even shorter period of time.

In both outcomes their opponent just came out stronger and the story moved on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Eat the fingers, gojo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, you can always tell an even fight by one person walking away pretty much uninjured while the other is dead from being sliced in two. It's like how Ivan Drago and Apollo Creed had to go to the judges.

Anything that does not outright kill someone like Kenjaku, Gojo, or Sukuna’s will result in them walking away uninjured, cause they all know Reverse Curse Technique and will heal right back to uninjured.

Yuki also knew RCT and had she won she would have looked pristine after too.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brought To You By posted:

I'd wager a lot of people look at how Tsukumo lost and the plot completely forgot about anything it wanted to hint at, or hype up, prior or during that loss as being inconsequential. I know I do. Who cares if she put up a good fight, Kenjaku is fully healed by all appearances and once again the only threat to him is Satoru Gojo. The only change to the status quo that came from her defeat and death is that Kenjaku won and assimilated Tengen. He has no lasting injury, he has no fear of the Yuuta as the only remaining special grade possibly getting one up on him like Tsukumo "potentially" did. He doesn't even regard her, she never mattered just like liquid metal chick Sukuna punked never mattered in an even shorter period of time.

In both outcomes their opponent just came out stronger and the story moved on.

Yes but I think that belief is dumb. How dare the main villain win his first proper fight, that if he lost would have ended nearly the whole story there.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Anything that does not outright kill someone like Kenjaku, Gojo, or Sukuna’s will result in them walking away uninjured, cause they all know Reverse Curse Technique and will heal right back to uninjured.

Yuki also knew RCT and had she won she would have looked pristine after too.

Gege could just make up a reason for him not being able to heal, if he wanted that fight to have any lasting impact.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Scallop Eyes posted:

Gege could just make up a reason for him not being able to heal, if he wanted that fight to have any lasting impact.

That fight had lasting impact. Kenjaku got Tengen and started the end of the Culling Game.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Also yuji got her soul book and big bro got to show off his strength and survive

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

That fight had lasting impact. Kenjaku got Tengen and started the end of the Culling Game.

No, that isn't lasting impact from the fight, because it would have happened just the same if Yuki had ditched for a beer instead.

Even Stars and Stripes in MHA had a more dignified defeat, because she managed to save her teammates and (in a vague, barely relevant way) weaken the main villain. And if an arc looks bad next to Stars and Stripes, that's some pretty impressive depths of failure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

chiasaur11 posted:

No, that isn't lasting impact from the fight, because it would have happened just the same if Yuki had ditched for a beer instead.

Even Stars and Stripes in MHA had a more dignified defeat, because she managed to save her teammates and (in a vague, barely relevant way) weaken the main villain. And if an arc looks bad next to Stars and Stripes, that's some pretty impressive depths of failure.

If Yuki had left, the protagonists would have another powerful ally around. Also Choso would have died and Prison Realm’s back would have been lost.

Characters are allowed to lose fights. I thought her performance was good even if I hoped she would have survived.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Main problem is she was a cool lady whose power at the same time was very simple and didn't have any real time to stick around and interact before her death fight

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

yuki and big bro could've got a beer together, this tengen guy seems like an rear end in a top hat anyways

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
The way I see it , the purpose of that fight was to show how Kenjaku fights, plus a couple of his powers, and whoever was fighting him would almost 100% lose.

That's fine, it's a shonen staple, but the villain's opponents normally are unimportant mooks, or someone who we already saw fight , so we can compare their power, and who is not needed in the narrative anymore, the perfect example being Sukuna vs Jogo .

It hits a little different when the one losing is someone who's never done anything in the manga and was hyped for a longe time.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
I think the fact she really just went out made it more impactful.

Similarly, most shounen wouldn't have the balls to just up and off Megumi's sister like that.

The only issue is we're at a 3:1 gal/guy ratio on getting fridged for this arc.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

all three MCs have died at this point anyways, just start killing all our new characters from this arc too so we get more balance.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

there was no gamble, the characters aren't real people.

In discussions about the treatment of characters in the manga everyone needs to remember this. The manga is not a documentary of real life events. What happens, how characters interact and are deployed narratively, the fights and how they go, the impact on the story is all under the control of the author and editorial. Tactical realism debates are fun in a powerlevel way but not appropriate when talking about the treatment of female characters in this manga.

Obviously kenjaku is not gonna lose that fight, but having him no sell a major attack is weak. It's also a fairly common trope with powerful antagonists: "oh if i didn't do X that would have actually hurt" as a way to offer lip service to whoever just jobbed out while avoiding any impact on the antagonist themselves. JJK smartly navigated a lot of generic shounen tropes in its run but still cant avoid them all.

let me think of 2 ways to have added narrative weight to her death:

1. kenjaku burns some element of his soul to avoid the attack weakening him for the eventual final battle that provides the crack needed to bring him down

2. he burns some ability and can no longer use it and there's a focus on this as an actual sacrifice

either one works better than "jk I'm fine"

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think the fact she really just went out made it more impactful.

Similarly, most shounen wouldn't have the balls to just up and off Megumi's sister like that.

The only issue is we're at a 3:1 gal/guy ratio on getting fridged for this arc.

A lot of guys have been straight up dismantled in this arc, let’s be fair. Ryu, Choso, Kamo, Panda all got decimated in their showings. I mean 3/4 of those aren’t dead to be fair , but their future contributions might as well be if we’re talking about showing off their combat strength. They’ve all been deemed as dead weight pretty much against the current players

Maki still stands shoulders above everyone else in terms of heavy hitters as well. I think this arc is more showing that anyone who’s not at the top of the game is gonna get completely dismantled by anyone who really understands the core of what they can do